Revenge of the Sith. What for who?

TheHiddey

The title of Episode 3 has always puzzled me. Revenge for what, exactly? I don't recall it being explained in any of the movies, was it explained in EU and, if so, can anybody tell me?

Largely, the Jedi are a bunch of arrogant, sanctimonious jerks.

25 millennia before the films, there was the First Great Schism and the Force Wars on Tython, when the adherents of the light decided that theirs was the only way.

13 millennia later there was the Second Great Schism/Hundred-Year Darkness where the Jedi decided that the light-side dogmatic approach was the only way again and went to war with anyone who differed. And in the end, they exiled the Dark Jedi survivors to the unknown regions beyond Republic space--basically a death sentence that they were too self-righteous to carry out.

So the Dark Jedi, in their exile, discover the Sith species and rebuild into an empire of their own. When they struck out for revenge in 5000 BBY (the Great Hyperspace War), they lost. But it wasn't enough that they lost--the Jedi and the Republic did their damndest to exterminate all survivors of the Sith Empire.

1600 years later you get the Great Galactic War and the Cold War (TOR), which we know from later works doesn't last and the Sith Empire as we know it in TOR doesn't exist as recently as a century later.

It's a blood feud, really. Both sides are in it to destroy each other no matter the cost, even though the Jedi dress it up and play-act as saviours and defenders of justice. The Sith are just more open about it.

The fact that the Sith were exterminated by the Jedi.

I mean, how else do you go from 1000s of Sith in TOR, to 2 at a time in the Prequels?

Whoa there, that's dead wrong. Not to call you out or anything, but that's enormously off-base.

The armies of the Sith fighting in the New Sith Wars were killed off by Darth Bane using Sith sorcery: the thought bomb. He did it to end the old ways and found the Order of the Sith Lords--governed by the Rule of Two.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Order_of_the_sith_lords#Bane.27s_reformation

"Once more the Sith will rule the Galaxy."

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge."

Pretty much all you get from the movies.

"The oppression of the Sith will never return!"

"The Sith have been extinct for a millenia"

'there hasn't been a full scale war since the formation of the Republic'

"I will not let this Republic that has stood for a thousand years be split in two!"

Just need to piece them together and you will see there was a massive battle between the Sith/Jedi that ended with the Sith being wiped out BBY 1000. There prolly more quotes im missing though

Edited by Girdeux

Whoa there, that's dead wrong. Not to call you out or anything, but that's enormously off-base.

The armies of the Sith fighting in the New Sith Wars were killed off by Darth Bane using Sith sorcery: the thought bomb. He did it to end the old ways and found the Order of the Sith Lords--governed by the Rule of Two.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Order_of_the_sith_lords#Bane.27s_reformation

there! RIGHT THERE! "thought bomb".... thats why the only EU i need is what GL and Bioware tells me -.-

there! RIGHT THERE! "thought bomb".... thats why the only EU i need is what GL and Bioware tells me -.-

Agreed, I was going to read those novels until that was mentioned. Ranks up there with 'Revan reborn'.

Would love someone of Clancys calibre to write a Star Wars novel.

Agreed, I was going to read those novels until that was mentioned. Ranks up there with 'Revan reborn'.

not to mention palpatine cheating death by going "the exorcist" on clone bodies-.-

Thanks for replying, all.

I mean, how else do you go from 1000s of Sith in TOR, to 2 at a time in the Prequels?

Well, seeing how they are trying their very best to murder eachother in TOR...

Just need to piece them together and you will see there was a massive battle between the Sith/Jedi that ended with the Sith being wiped out BBY 1000. There prolly more quotes im missing though

You make a good point here. I was expecting a concluding explanation in a scene somewhere, or else in a book or videogame.

How about Dan Abnett?

Agreed, I was going to read those novels until that was mentioned.

Dumb name, not a dumb concept. And the reason for the existence of the Valley of the Jedi come Jedi Knight/Jedi Outcast.

But in a world of "Millennium Falcons" (seriously, what kind of name is that?) and laser swords, that ranks pretty high on the dumb reasons to avoid something.

Dumb name, not a dumb concept. And the reason for the existence of the Valley of the Jedi come Jedi Knight/Jedi Outcast.

But in a world of "Millennium Falcons" (seriously, what kind of name is that?) and laser swords, that ranks pretty high on the dumb reasons to avoid something.

Plasma swords*

The original title for Episode six was "Revenge of the Jedi". However, at the last minute George Lucas decided that Jedi would never seek revenge and therefore changed the title to "Return of the Jedi" As a matter of fact, merchandizing materials had already been distributed with the "Revenge of the Jedi" (One of my childhood friends, actually got a single subject spiral notebook with "Revenge of the Jed" on the cover.

So, when Episode three was being made, Lucas decided that Sith could and do take revenge and therefore named the episode "Revenge of the Sith"

Nuff Said. :)

that, the battle for ruusan comic and all of Dark Horse material is actually above much of what George Lucas told you in the prequels... It ranks pretty high in general.

Not to forget all of KOTOR is based on Tales of the Jedi, a comic by the same guys(probably not the same writer but you get the gist of it.)

not to mention palpatine cheating death by going "the exorcist" on clone bodies-.-

Then stop with tor now, Emperor Vitiate does practically the same.

Edited by Lightmaguz

Good old George Lucas trying to fill in the blanks by making us buy all his dam merchandise. SImeple problems could have been avoided by him explaining a bit of these new concepts to us a little in the prequels.

midi-chlorians, needed a better explanation after that they make sense

Sith extermination, a little bit more detail

Why their technology gets "worse" as the movies continue the saga into the original

Small details that he totally overlooked because he assumed many of the SW base read the books and every other detail.

The fact that the Sith were exterminated by the Jedi.

Think the point was, for ppl who simply watched the films, ignored the books (if it's a properly constructed movie, wouldn't need to read the lore to understand the meaning) wouldn't know why the Sith want Revenge, because it was never explained in the movies

You can read into it, but i think:

"Return of the Jedi" was supposed to be named "Revenge of the Jedi", which made sense but got canned because it did not coincide with Jedi beliefs.

So "Revenge of the SITH" is basically paying homage to the completion of the original trilogy.

Read the Thrawn Trilogy starting with Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn.

The way I heard it, Return of the Jedi was originally called Return of the Jedi, then someone (George, 20th Century Fox, someone, I forget) thought "Revenge" sounded cooler, so they went to press with posters & whatnot...then at the last minute it was pointed out (to George or by George; I forget that, too) that 'revenge' seemed fairly un-Jedi-like.

As for the Sith's revenge, very little is described in the films. I'm kinda curious to what George's thoughts are for how Bane began the Rule of Two; 'Darth Bane' is his creation, but I wonder if Lucas thought much about how they got down to two Sith. Probably nothing more in depth than "The Sith conquered the Republic, the Jedi fought back and killed all of them and only two were left, The End."

The way I heard it, Return of the Jedi was originally called Return of the Jedi, then someone (George, 20th Century Fox, someone, I forget) thought "Revenge" sounded cooler, so they went to press with posters & whatnot...then at the last minute it was pointed out (to George or by George; I forget that, too) that 'revenge' seemed fairly un-Jedi-like.

As for the Sith's revenge, very little is described in the films. I'm kinda curious to what George's thoughts are for how Bane began the Rule of Two; 'Darth Bane' is his creation, but I wonder if Lucas thought much about how they got down to two Sith. Probably nothing more in depth than "The Sith conquered the Republic, the Jedi fought back and killed all of them and only two were left, The End."

The rule of two is mentioned by yoda in the prequels. bane is cannon. end of discussion.

I wasn't disputing Bane as George's creation or the Rule of Two... I'm just curious as to what backstory George had for HOW the Rule was created, how Bane became the 'last' Sith Lord of the old Sith and first of the Banite 'Rule of Two' Sith.

And here's something never explained in the films: how does Yoda know the Rule of Two? I think EU has it that one of the Sith during the period between Bane and Sidious was a fallen Jedi who joined the Sith, then rebelled and tried to return to the light but was driven insane by it, and managed to spill the 'rule of two' info to the Jedi before dying...but we get none of that info in the films. Yoda's not old enough to have been around when the Rule of Two was established, so the Sith were thought extinct by the time he was born.

One of the many plot holes throughout the Saga! :p