Game Update 7.4.1c coming April 3 ×

Do sages make any use of their lightsabers

rocket_dog

Correct me if Im wrong, but sages doesnt have a free ranged ability. If they run out of force, they have to go melee and use their lightsabers if they dont want to look lazy bastards for a few seconds. As far as I know no other ACs have this problem.

Correct me if Im wrong, but sages doesnt have a free ranged ability. If they run out of force, they have to go melee and use their lightsabers if they dont want to look lazy bastards for a few seconds. As far as I know no other ACs have this problem.

I had this complaint in beta, but was told by higher level testers it wasn't really an issue.

Every other advanced class has a free attack in their intended range, be it melee or distance combat. Sages are alone in this. I see that as a philosophical design problem worth fixing, even if force regens quickly.

I'd really like to see a free saber throw, just so we get some use out of our lightsabers.

Yes, I LOVE the idea of a saber throw, even if they don't give the saber more functionality.

I mean, remember, the Emporer? While his best strenght was his Force powers, he basically went tow-to-tow with Mace.

Would be nice to see more functionality other than looking sweet. :)

i think the idea of a cost free attack with your lightsabre is so that its used frequently when out of force... i couldnt really see someone continually throwing there lightsabre or it being fast enough to warrant being thrown.

When soloing at low levels, I have found that it only takes a few seconds for force to regen to the point that you can use another ability. You wouldn't be spamming it.

They could even take away your deflect ability during the attack and put it on a short cooldown. I just want something.

Another option would be some sort of mini-Disturbance telekinetic ability that piffs them for a little damage, but I like the saber throw because it solves two problems at once (no free attack or use for lightsaber for Sages)

I really hope Bioware is reading this.

Edited by Felioats

Run out of force? That would be very odd. Played to level 37 in beta and never once did I actually fully deplete myself to the point of only being able to swing a saber, and that still costs points to do by the way.

Your not playing properly then, that is for sure...

Yoda used his lightsaber...

Emperor Palpatine used his lightsaber...

Every Jedi or Sith used lightsabers...

No Jedi or Sith ever wore dresses (another issue, but one that I'm still having issue with)...

There shouldn't be a free ranged ability for the Sage, their should be a spec that makes a Sage a melee/ranged hybrid.

Nothing the Sage does mirrors what we've seen in lore - using the Force and not a lightsaber at all. At best, they are all hybrids.

'Nuff said! (or, at least, all I have to say on the matter)

The light saber is whatever you want it to be.

You have a free attack (ie: no force poitns) that you can set up as the right click , and a decent damage (double strike) for when things get up close.

The interesting thing about the double strike ability is that you start out the battle with full force, and a lot of force since you're a "mage" , and it's a high damage ability. So you can put out a lot of damage by spaming that one ability very very quickly.

Of course you have few defences so if you're facing something tough that might not work out so hot. But if the tank has the mobs attention the option to step in and dump damage on him is there.

Of course, some bosses do the bunny hop all over the map, in which case you're better off just throwing ranged attacks until something runs up to you. And if you're a sage / healer , you probably removed all abilities and deligated it to the status of "stat stick" a long time ago. Which is fair enough. Sages have a wide range of ablities and you can't keep them all hot keyed.

I use it only to look cool from time to time. At lv18 my strength is about 49 and Willpower is about 190. Makes sense to just be a pure caster. Its not like running out of force has been an issue.

Specially with Qyzen tanking, having induction skills being interrupted isn't a big issue either.

Edited by Claymaniac

I dunno about you, but the outfits in this picture look exactly like what I see the Consular's in game wearing, at least at the lower levels.

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/5/59/ThreeJedi.jpg

Look again. They're wearing pants, tunic and a cloak. Consulars wear "dresses", tunic and cloak. Dresses go all the way down in front, except for very few exceptions.

Look again. They're wearing pants, tunic and a cloak. Consulars wear "dresses", tunic and cloak. Dresses go all the way down in front, except for very few exceptions.

It's not unusual though. Plenty of example in the films of Jedi with long robes:

Obi-Wan (Ben) Kenobi - ANH - First time we ever saw a Jedi Knight was a guy wearing a 'dress' ;)

Also:

Agen Kolar/ Eeth Koth - TPM, AOTC, ROTS

Plo Koon - TPM, AOTC, ROTS and Clone Wars

Saesee Tiin - TPM, AOTC, ROTS and Clone Wars

For Females:

Shaak Ti

Luminara Unduli

Barriss Offee - dress at least.

Jocasta Nu

Obi Wan was not wearing a dress. He was wearing a closed robe, presumably over the tunic/pants standard outfit.

I have never, ever, not once in the movies seen a Jedi in a skirt. Look closely at what the low level consulars are wearing. It's a short tunic and an ankle-length skirt. There is no precedent for that in the movies. If you couldn't see that a Jedi was wearing pants, it was because he was wearing a full-length closed robe.