If you queue as a tank, be a tank

DarthBama

I just came back, so pardon me if this is a running problem, but I keep getting “tanks” with 0 pieces of tank gear in my flash points. The one that took the cake was a guy that initiated a kick vote against a healer after wiping. Next healer comes in, same result, same kick vote. I hit no this time. Other DPS leaves along with unsuccessfully kicked healer. Then I view his gear, 0 pieces of tank gear and nothing in the offhand slot. Unbelievable!

I just came back, so pardon me if this is a running problem, but I keep getting “tanks” with 0 pieces of tank gear in my flash points. The one that took the cake was a guy that initiated a kick vote against a healer after wiping. Next healer comes in, same result, same kick vote. I hit no this time. Other DPS leaves along with unsuccessfully kicked healer. Then I view his gear, 0 pieces of tank gear and nothing in the offhand slot. Unbelievable!

Ok in his defense: the off hand not showing is a bug. Has been around since forever. Good chance he probably had one, albeit maybe incorrect.

Now I agree. Tank if you're tanking. Same as if you're dps Q as dps not heals to get a q pop! Ugh.

But with how gearing is atm, if you're in a lvl 75 FP, he's probably only running these for gear & is trying to gear. As it stands now to get best gear, wear whatever drops with highest item level. (Yes it sucks.) Once you hit 306 you then can start working on what your class gear needs.

There is also a chance, he has NO idea how he's supposed to gear too. lol That still happens.

I've queued as a tank recently w/o realizing it was seeing my toon as a tank. In full DPS gear, in a DPS spec, but just because I'm on an assassin I get put in as a tank by default.

Sometimes it's just a mistake / oversight.

I've seen this one quite a few times, going back as far as when the game launched and I doubt it'll ever change. Hopefully you called him/her on their bs. Unfortunately with the way gear is sought after now, notably via FP's, this will probably occur more frequently.

I've queued as a tank recently w/o realizing it was seeing my toon as a tank. In full DPS gear, in a DPS spec, but just because I'm on an assassin I get put in as a tank by default.

I've had this happen too, very frustrating that a dps spec can default as a tank. Albeit only once back during dvl because I don't usually bother doing group stuff.

You literally had to remember every day to change the default spec to dps. Easy to forget once in a while.

Thankfully I noticed right before we started- appologised and exited myself from the group so they could get a tank.

Edited by Suzsi

Not to add to your misery, but as jugg and sin along with their rep counterparts gets assigned as tanks by the gf.

Why, people forgot to check their role when q'd.

Few times it gets bugged too. Specially for veng juggs and deception sin. As I have observed this myself, ie my toons.

And then there are people still running full skank gear in mm fp. I have a friend who does that. he says its more challenging that way. :confused:

But I find that disturbing sometimes (read wiping few times) :p

It's possible they're skanking and while I understand the frustrations of healers who dislike it, I personally love it when I'm healing a skank. The run goes noticeably quicker and I'm a good enough healer to make up for their lost tankiness. Occasionally you'll run across an awful skank that results in wipes, but I find the average person who does it knows how to use their cooldowns properly.

Hmm, I've had two MM FPs so far with tanks without tank gear (while I healed). For starters I'm gonna state that I'm fine healing non-tanks as long as they know what they're doing for the most part and dont mind dying- they're practically asking to by quing wrong role for random que. Some of the newer FPs you just need to discard completely without proper tank, older ones are generally fine (so que for those! not all random! Only the ones you think you can handle without gear!).

The first "tank1" had the decency to say they weren't a tank at the very start, which was fine everyone was onboard and they did fine job swapping aggro with other dps and all in all was a perfectly decent run, though they tended to stand in stupid.

The second time "tank2" didn't say anything, I inspected their gear after a while when it started feeling like the dude was made out of paper and sure enough zero tanking gear. Well, I didn't say anything and winged it, he was pulling pretty confidently and gave me little reason to complain all in all. He did die twice (I was ready to expose his zero-gearness immediately if he'd complain about healing, which he didn't so I didn't bring it up either(no need to shake fists without seeing how things go first IMO)). Finished the fp without complete wipes so still fine run imo.

Also, it's a lot worse if tanks join a hardmode operation as DPS with zero dps gear and wipe everyone to enrage because they're not bringing any dps to the table. Can't carry that buffoonery at this gearing stage. A lot of tanks seem to think nobody will notice them among 4-5 dps... At this point we really DO notice, especially if theres several tanks advertising themselves as dps. Yes corked my terrible OP pugs for this expac already *facepalm*

On the flip side my main frustration is queuing as a properly geared tank and having the dps ignore me and make all the pulls themselves because I'm not racing along fast enough to suit them.

Basically group etiquette in group finder runs is almost non existent.

I have made this mistake, plenty of times as well. Its a bit embarrassing when it happens.

On the flip side my main frustration is queuing as a properly geared tank and having the dps ignore me and make all the pulls themselves because I'm not racing along fast enough to suit them.

Basically group etiquette in group finder runs is almost non existent.

This is why I wont que tacticals (veteran mode), i would rather play master mode, i feel like veteran mode has created some poor habits in a lot of players

Edited by kirorx

I my case on 2 Vet FPs, I simply forgot to change my role or the game defaulted to queuing my role as a tank and I didn't notice, which was annoying.

So aside from simply not assuming a tank role if one is not tank built, I don't think it's so much a tank being in dps spec issue as, it is a - knowing what to do in situations - issue.

My Jugg is about 80 -90% dps built and stays in Vengence (Pending on my mood), but I do switch to tank, or skank I should say, as needed.

My example is this:

I ran a MM FP with a healer who was not built for Healing (by his own admission), A Tank Assassin (never checked his gear to check his build), A Dps Merc, and my Dps Jugg. We ran into bit of a 'problem' with the last boss (Assult on Tython). The boss was hitting like a Mack Truck, the Tank couldn't take it, and the Healer couldn't keep him alive. Solution and this took 2 tries, when I switched to skank (3 total). I had to switch my Discipline to Skank and the Tank and I had to keep trading on the aggro. Tanks' hp gets low, I pull the boss, my hp gets low, Tank pulls the boss; which was good enough for the healer to keep the party healed.

My point? Even with a Dps build a tank should still be able to tank just fine, at least in a Vet / MM FP.

Edited by ZeroTypeR

It's not always a mistake or oversight though. sometimes it's an actual bug in the system. I've been queued as an alternate from DPS on characters even when I have triple checked all my settings and have everything set to DPS only. I know this because this was a bug in the past so I'm a little obsessive-compulsive about it because I never want to make a bad first impression when I'm in a group.

Sorry dude...I ran Ranked PvP for three days and got ish for gear. Ran two flashpoints and suddenly I was loaded. lol

Tanking stats in PvP have been near useless for most of this game's history. So the majority of PvP Tanks mostly skanked. However, we are pretty adept at using our cooldowns.

But don't hate the player, hate the game. We would all prefer to gear the way we want, but unfortunately, BW has no clue what they're doing. So many of us PVPers are being forced into PvE.

My apologies ahead of time. Don't worry, I'll be gone after my month's sub cancels.

Confession: ok talk about embarrassing. I accidentally queued as a tank at lunch today. Something definitely weird though. I had my MM filter only set to Hammer Station and my role to DPS. When I logged in today, I had 4 MM flash points in the filter, which I caught, and my role was tank which I didn’t catch. Almost as if someone played on my account?

• 5 months later...
I queued as a DPS on my 'sin and it put me as a tank, even though I specifically queued as a DPS. Apparently, this bug has been around for 7 years and no one cares to fix it. It makes me just not want to play.

This happens a lot in veteran, especially if you change spec and forget to change your queue role in the LFG finder. I've done it myself and quite often get people who have accidentally queued as healer who are actually DPS.

Edited by Sarova

This happens a lot in veteran, especially if you change spec and forget to change your queue role in the LFG finder. I've done it myself and quite often get people who have accidentally queued as healer who are actually DPS.

This appears to be the problem some of the time. Be sure when you queue in GF that you have only the correct role checked. If you can have dual roles, like tank/dps or heal/dps, both roles will be enabled by default. That generally means that you will be marked as a healer or tank when the group forms - probably as a leftover from classic trinity grouping.

When they finally introduced the GF or AF as it's called now, it was a broken PoS from the start. One of the problems is that when you play a class that has a tank spec, the default setting is Tank/DPS. So a lot of people don't even know or realise that they are not set to just DPS.

Secondly, the issue is also that when you do change that setting in the GF, you have to zone to another area for it to actually stick. So when you realise you need to set yourself to DPS and you do, but don't zone before going into the queue, it keeps the original setting. It's completely not helpful.

I don't like how the matching system works because you can't even see if there's a group forming or what's missing for it to pop. That's why for Ops people learned quickly that it was better to form a group first on the fleet and then just use the GF as a taxi to the location. And that's not even talking about chat issues when people join later via the GF when someone drops. All in all it's a big mess.

Personally, I would've much preferred a GF that allows you to list your group and let others join your team via that and that you then just use it as a taxi to get to the location. Any rewards should be done outside of the GF via daily/repeatable quests and conquest.

All in all though, I think that veteran FPs should be DPS only so they can more properly balance them as it is. And I say this as someone with more healers than anything. But of course then it would be good if they allowed people to swap between builds easily. Then you can swap between heal and DPS specs quickly. Ah well, a guy can dream right?

All in all though, I think that veteran FPs should be DPS only so they can more properly balance them as it is. And I say this as someone with more healers than anything. But of course then it would be good if they allowed people to swap between builds easily. Then you can swap between heal and DPS specs quickly. Ah well, a guy can dream right?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over? How about you explain more fully why you feel this way, please?

What annoys me is I keep getting tank drops on my DPS characters. And thats not something my less than level 75 characters can change. There's no loot setting for a level 45 character. I dont like tanking because frankly I suck at it.

As for playing healer if despite my best efforts somebody dies I always feel bad.