import TOR achievements to future Star Wars MMO games?

Sadishist

Say if they made another Star Wars MMO that replaces TOR in the future (and chances are they will), would everything we have done here be lost? Or can progress be imported into future Star Wars games? Edited by Sadishist

So, is this a hidden doom and gloom thread?

There is no reason to think that the game is getting shut down for whatever reason, as it is making boatloads of money.

However, technically speaking, there is no technical problem, but achievements are usually invalidated in sequel games.

So, is this a hidden doom and gloom thread?

There is no reason to think that the game is getting shut down for whatever reason, as it is making boatloads of money.

However, technically speaking, there is no technical problem, but achievements are usually invalidated in sequel games.

No it's a suggestion thread. But there will be a day it will join SWG.

Say if they made another Star Wars MMO that replaces TOR in the future (and chances are they will), would everything we have done here be lost? Or can progress be imported into future Star Wars games?

Whenever a new SW MMO is created (and yes, one would have to believe that will happen, especially with the new movies when fans will want to live in that galaxy, plus revisit the world during the Original Trilogy) it will be a separate, standalone game. It will have its own achievements so there would be absolutely no reason to import anything from TOR into it.

Extremely unlikely. I don't think there has been an MMO ever that would take your history from another game and allow you to import them.

They are different games.

Just because it carries the Star Wars title really doesn't mean much.

The only possible chance I can see this happening is if Bioware was to make another MMO (not necessarily star wars) and they had one achievement system.

Extremely unlikely. I don't think there has been an MMO ever that would take your history from another game and allow you to import them.

They are different games.

Just because it carries the Star Wars title really doesn't mean much.

The only possible chance I can see this happening is if Bioware was to make another MMO (not necessarily star wars) and they had one achievement system.

Look at Dragon Age and Mass Effect (both Bioware series). Progress is imported to future games in the series.

Edited by Sadishist

Whenever a new SW MMO is created (and yes, one would have to believe that will happen, especially with the new movies when fans will want to live in that galaxy, plus revisit the world during the Original Trilogy) it will be a separate, standalone game. It will have its own achievements so there would be absolutely no reason to import anything from TOR into it.

I find it highly doubtful, actually. MMOs have a pretty long development cycle, not to mention high development costs. It would be much easier (and cheaper) to cross-promote SWTOR as "the" Star Wars MMO through other single player games that might be tied to the movies.

Sure, it might come, but i guess only after all three new episodes (or whatever Disney wants to produce) are aired, and that is still many years in the future.

Look at Dragon Age and Mass Effect (both Bioware series). Progress is imported to future games in the series.

Um, whats your point?

Even right now in game they don't share achievements, locations, progression, anything... Plus those are single player games.

That is completely different. Those games were designed from the beginning to have a continued story through the games.

But a new star wars MMO will most likely not be a continued story.

Edited by ninjonxb

Look at Dragon Age and Mass Effect (both Bioware series)

These games do not transfer achievements, but "state of the world" and are more or less direct sequels, happening in a relatively short period of time (under 100 years). Not to mention, both are single-player series, not MMOs (yes, there is a difference).

If new Star Wars MMO was made, it would probably be set around timeline of new movies, which are 3000+ years from SWTOR. And lot of things change during that period, so any state of the world would be meaningless. Sure some mentions to the characters might pop up, but nothing specific, as there are hundreds of thousands "same" characters with the "same" story, so the mention might be ambiguous, or according to some unified canon (like that Consular was a Light Side male, same thing that exists for KOTOR games)

No it's a suggestion thread. But there will be a day it will join SWG.

Ahh that's why you put this in the suggestion forum...oh wait you didn't.

So basically you want what Guild Wars did. Well, considering how crap GW2 turned out to be I'd rather they don't follow that path...I'll stick to enjoying SWTOR and if they bring out another SW MMO in the future and I like it, I really won't care if I can carry over achievements or something. In GW2 I didn't really care in the end because it just never ends up really being what you'd hoped for I guess.

The only online mmo-ish games i know of that changed versions and let you keep your characters were text based (MUDS).

A new engine would completely change the performance of existing animations and abilities. Movement dynamics would change. Some things that are currently possible might become impossible and other things that weren't do-able before might become easy. All content would need to be redesigned on some level. It would probably cost more and take longer to make a SWTOR 2 that was compatible with SWTOR than to just make a new game (which I hope someone does but I'm not holding my breath).

Edited by Savej

Because I do not want to bump a different thread,

Why was this posted in 2 places?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=713834

Different board, that one was posted in Suggestions, this one in General.

Come on, no one wants all their hard work and time here playing this game to go poof once the next MMO comes out.

Edited by Sadishist

Yes, but they were series' and deesigned for progress to flow to the next installment, unless Bioware gets the next Star Wars MMO, there will be no reason to expect the achievements to carry accross, and even then I doubt they will do it.

Short answer, I doubt it.

Long Answer, I really doubt it.

Different board, that one was posted in Suggestions, this one in General.

Come on, no one wants all their hard work and time here playing this game to go poof once the next MMO comes out.

So, you want to go into a new game with a buttload of stuff already accomplished....

To me, this akin to eating at home before going to a restaurant.

Not accomplish anything in the new SW game, just carried over. Different thing.

You want achievements to things that don't even apply to some theoretical new game?

If that's how it works, I want an achievement for making over $75k a year. "The Non-Basement Dweller"

@OP:

I suggest just before SWTOR closes its doors in many years from now, you make a screenshot of all your achievements and send that in to Bioware, so that a dev will sign it as being official, then sends it back. You can then make copies of that and use as wallpaper on your desktop and on your house. You can go to the next game and demand respect for all the cool stuff you did in a game that others on those forums did never play.

I am sure that will bring you a lot of positive feedback :)

@OP:

I suggest just before SWTOR closes its doors in many years from now, you make a screenshot of all your achievements and send that in to Bioware, so that a dev will sign it as being official, then sends it back. You can then make copies of that and use as wallpaper on your desktop and on your house. You can go to the next game and demand respect for all the cool stuff you did in a game that others on those forums did never play.

I am sure that will bring you a lot of positive feedback :)

Well, some Wookie-killing achievements would certainly earn some recognition from certain people, wouldn't they? :w_wink:

Well, some Wookie-killing achievements would certainly earn some recognition from certain people, wouldn't they? :w_wink:

There is no achievement in killing mindless animals that even fire their improvised weaponry into the sky instead of the attacking enemy... the true beasts like wump rats and rakhghouls at least try to fight back in a serious way :)

I would enjoy a wookiee-carpet on my Defender though.

Say if they made another Star Wars MMO that replaces TOR in the future (and chances are they will), would everything we have done here be lost? Or can progress be imported into future Star Wars games?

Exactly what are these so called chances you speak of? Got any proof of that? Bad doom and gloom thread is bad.

There is no achievement in killing mindless animals that even fire their improvised weaponry into the sky instead of the attacking enemy... the true beasts like wump rats and rakhghouls at least try to fight back in a serious way :)

I would enjoy a wookiee-carpet on my Defender though.

Mindless sky firing or strategic bird removal?