Hoko's Ultimate Hybrid Spec

Hokonoso

Yes it's Hoko the notorious Rift Guide Writer and since that game is dead I will be making my first guide here.

First, I will not be posting my max dps builds until combat log is enabled, I have however done some stat weight tests and so far 1 surge > every other stat assuming over 30% crit chance, so if you dps or heal keep that in mind while gearing up at 50.

Since most people are new 50s here is a build that will work perfectly for you, it is great at pvp and solo play, and atm does enough dps in pve to be considered a full dps, yes there are higher dps builds but no combat log so I can't say which is the best.

Second, the spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201GhbRZbsMMkZcMcRs0z.1

Explanation of talent points.

Corruption (13):

Basic 13 points for the ability to heal yourself to near full in 3 casts (Resurgence -> Dark Infusion -> Dark Infusion) or (Resurgence -> Dark Heal -> Dark Infusion), this works on everyone in both pve and pvp, this is unstoppable and makes you unstoppable, other talents in this tree are nice but unless you are boss tank healing, are not necessary. I did not take Empty Body (9% self healing) because 10% more damage on our largest hitting ability (Chain Lightning) is worth more than more healing on yourself, you shouidn't be dying anyways! If you are an evil pvp'er you can lose 10% dmg and gain 9% healing but I don't suggest it, most of the time in pvp you should be healing your friends not yourself...

Lightning (12):

Not standard. Did not take Electric Induction or Subversion and here is why. You never run out of mana while dps'ing in this build, it's simply not possible with the Force Lightning spam, only casting affliction on many targets at once and keeping them refreshed will tax you, but when you ever would do this I dunno...

Madness (16):

Standard 16 points for max dps, there is no other way to spec those 16 points for more dps so this is standard, every max dps build will have 16 minimum in madness btw, 31pt lightning specs are NOT viable at this time, I do not need a combat log to tell you this, max dps build will be either 16 madness or 31+ madness there is nothing else for pve dps at this time.

How to dps. You will use a priority system, keep Affliction up at all times, if you are soloing a hard mob and are pulling then you should pull with Chain Lightning if 2+ mobs or Crushing Darkness if just 1. dmg priority skill list is Crushing Darkness (if dot will tick), Chain Lightning, Death Field (note you won't use Death Field for single target). So priority is keep Affliction up, Force Lighting until Wrath proc (short cast when it does, dont wait for this to finish for max dps), then cast Crushing Darkness if up, if not then Chain Lightning, if you get 2 procs in a row you have 1 free gcd before Chain Lightning is off cooldown again, now is a good time to use Affliction or Lightning Strike depending on timer of Affliction, but always Crushing Darkness -> Chain Lightning -> Force Lightning if both are in cooldown, and if Lightning Storm procs, instantly Chain Lightning before starting rotation over. The standard 31 lightning, 3 corruption, 7 madness will never ever touch the dps of this build, in that spec all you do is spam lighting strike fishing for a proc and it is so so so so boring and non force efficient, you run out of force all the time in that build! Will need to test the 31madness build but need 50 to do this and a parser, but the inability to get chain lightning in that spec makes me think it will do less dps, chain lightning just hits too hard AND is aoe at the same time.

For pvp, don't be a noob, you have the tools to 1 v 1 anyone, static shield is your friend and salvation, you will easily be able to 2 v 1 undergeared/lvl'd individuals if you use your aoe just right (idiots always stack in pvp). You have 30-35m range, use it! Depending on the warzone go to heal mode or dps mode or plan to do both and hybrid, dying is your mana bar, don't worry about conserving any in pvp! Either plan to die, or Seethe!

edit: The rotation is for the pve variation of this build which is obvious in which case you would have lightning storm, sorry for not explaining this at the start, i cut my guide in half as originally i had a pve build attached to the guide. But without combat parsers I simply do not know which of my 2-3 builds are max dps so I do not want to mislead you guys and post them. At this point I'm thinking 0/13/28 with max crit/surge will be top dps but a 0/21/16 might beat it since it has more burst, when combat parsers come alive I will post my findings as I always do, but until then, this is my pvp build and it works great, only classes that can beat me 1 v 1 are dps spec'd powertechs and juggernauts, those guys are OP and impossible to kill.

edit2: pic of pvp pwnage with this spec http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m631/Hokonoso/over500k.jpg

Edited by Hokonoso

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Similar to what I played in beta and suggested in this thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=101023

The build here: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201GhbRoZfc0MzZcMcRs0z.1

The extra point is really a floater and can be used anywhere instead of Efficacious Currents.

I'm not very partial to Exsanguinate or Lightning Spire, but to each their own.

Hoko my Sunrest brotha!

It's Wheeler :o

Your build looks like mine, with a lil more dps and a lot less cc and utility :)

hah, i took your raid spot in Exiled after you left, good to see some old folks! but yea i made a glass cannon that has the ability to complete heal in 4.5 seconds every 6 seconds, though i dont suggest using it more than once in a row else u go oom lol.

and i never ran out of force so those points were spread out as best as possible, all the points in that area are really filler, but 6 extra seconds of affliction is crucial, especially pvp since you can simply dot up 7 ppl and run away forcing them to rethink themselves lol.

Its an interesting build that has really caught my attention... originally I was gonna go 0-25-16, but now I am reconsidering...

I just hit 30 and have the 16 in madness as you do... that was my original too... but what do you suggest next? Fill lightning first to get your chain lightning faster for dps or go healing next to get your survivablity up... the only problem I see with going healing first is that you wont get chain lightning till 50 that way... so you really cant use it leveling wise....

Thoughts? What order did you go with this build?

Thanks

See this thread about Exsanguinate: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=84385

Later posters claim that the talent is currently working correctly, increasing both damage and duration of Affliction.

I really hope that info is true, going to have to check for myself in a bit. When I checked back in early access it was *not* increasing Affliction damage, so I've been spouting off about how bad Exsanguinate is =/; I hope I haven't been giving misinformation and it has been fixed for a while.

This is a great guide. I personally use 0/25/16 for lightning storm procs and alacrity. I am not fond of deep madness because it lacks burst.

In PvP I cannot stress enough how important 16 madness is. It's the only way you can ever generate burst. 31 point lightning specs have to use lightning strike and hope for a proc then follow up with thundering blast. Non-instant lightning strikes are painful to use in pvp. I'd say that 31 lightning is not viable in pvp or pve at the moment.

Putting points into the healing tree looks really awkward. Your DPS is barely compensated and you end up essentially wasting a ton of points to make yourself a mediocre healer. I'd definitely put another point in lightning barrage so you can bounce between instant chain lightnings and half cast time force lightnings. You'd then spec up to creeping death in madness avoiding corrupted flesh and devour. This tremendously boosts your fire and forget dots while providing you with a convenient if somewhat nominal form of healing. Also allows you to switch from multi target mobility dotting to single target nuking with relative ease. I just can't see a 10% increase on chain lightning coupled with a +3% crit chance matching a roughly 40-50% improvement in your dots and giving you access to another instant cast CC. It's worth noting that death field becomes a worthy cast even for a single opponent.

If someone has actually played the build, I'm curious to know how it performed as it's what I'm currently looking at speccing as for pvp.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZksMMdZcMfRsMkrc.1

Putting points into the healing tree looks really awkward. Your DPS is barely compensated and you end up essentially wasting a ton of points to make yourself a mediocre healer. I'd definitely put another point in lightning barrage so you can bounce between instant chain lightnings and half cast time force lightnings. You'd then spec up to creeping death in madness avoiding corrupted flesh and devour. This tremendously boosts your fire and forget dots while providing you with a convenient if somewhat nominal form of healing. Also allows you to switch from multi target mobility dotting to single target nuking with relative ease. I just can't see a 10% increase on chain lightning coupled with a +3% crit chance matching a roughly 40-50% improvement in your dots and giving you access to another instant cast CC. It's worth noting that death field becomes a worthy cast even for a single opponent.

If someone has actually played the build, I'm curious to know how it performed as it's what I'm currently looking at speccing as for pvp.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZksMMdZcMfRsMkrc.1

The build has been played, at lvl 50 and with great success, all throughout beta. You just posted yet another heavy Madness with Chain Lightning cookie cutter that are all over the forums and 18 Madness 23 Lightning outperforms even that.

If you have zero experience playing different specs you shouldn't be so fast to shoot something down.

The build has been played, at lvl 50 and with great success, all throughout beta. You just posted yet another heavy Madness with Chain Lightning cookie cutter that are all over the forums and 18 Madness 23 Lightning outperforms even that.

If you have zero experience playing different specs you shouldn't be so fast to shoot something down.

I posted a comment about the healing bit not making any sense to me and provided my rationale. I'm sorry if you took it personally. I don't religiously pursue the forums and common builds people run, it wasn't meant to offend.

Its an interesting build that has really caught my attention... originally I was gonna go 0-25-16, but now I am reconsidering...

I just hit 30 and have the 16 in madness as you do... that was my original too... but what do you suggest next? Fill lightning first to get your chain lightning faster for dps or go healing next to get your survivablity up... the only problem I see with going healing first is that you wont get chain lightning till 50 that way... so you really cant use it leveling wise....

Thoughts? What order did you go with this build?

Thanks

Still nothing on what is better to take next? healing or lightning if you are to build this route?

Looks like it's mostly speculation on which exact spec will be optimal for pve until a combat log parser is implemented. I've been using a 7/13/21 build since I feel it picks up the greatest amount of "must-haves" with as few pve stinkers as possible. Obviously this build would not be as good for pvp as a deep madness/chain lightning build or the build suggested in the op since they end up picking up a lot more pvp-focused talents along the way, but I've been having great success with it so far. Thinking about switching to a 7/18/16 build to get Lightning Storm back, because it was great for aoe and I don't know that I gain enough from Deathmark to justify Parasitism and Haunted Dreams. Was also thinking about spec'ing far enough into Lightning to pick up Forked Lightning, but the talent ends up giving a 9% average bonus to CL, which is less than that offered by Force Suffusion and forces you to take several medicore pve talents along the way.

Looking forward to the verdict on which spec is optimal, my respec cost is starting to get ridiculous.

Edited by Hesp

Thanks for the advice, but just one question. In your priorities.. how does lightning storm proc if you haven't invested a skill point in it?

Look at "Wrath" in the Madness tree. That's what procs for insta-cast Chain Lightning, with a 20% damage bonus to boot.

Look at "Wrath" in the Madness tree. That's what procs for insta-cast Chain Lightning, with a 20% damage bonus to boot.

Force Lighting until Wrath proc (short cast when it does, dont wait for this to finish for max dps), then cast Crushing Darkness if up, if not then Chain Lightning, if you get 2 procs in a row you have 1 free gcd before Chain Lightning is off cooldown again, now is a good time to use Affliction or Lightning Strike depending on timer of Affliction, but always Crushing Darkness -> Chain Lightning -> Force Lightning if both are in cooldown, and if Lightning Storm procs, instantly Chain Lightning before starting rotation over.

Mate no offense but reading that makes me think he is saying to squeeze an extra chain lightning into his rotation if storm procs, has nothing to do with wrath

maybe he means wrath and im totally confused

Edited by sw_dragon

Nice hybrid build. The only thing I would change is the 5 yard range talent and 4% damage to two attacks in the lightning tree and change to the 9% cheaper force talent.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201GhbRZfzMMkZcMcRs0z.1

You will have force issues when healing a flashpoint or group without the 9%.

I agree with this, but I would also take the points out of Exsanguinate and keep Convection maxed, like so: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201GhbRZfc0MkZcMcRs0z.1

The extra damage from Convection is there every time you cast Chain Lightning, where as the benefits of Exsanguinate only apply if Affliction is able to run it's full course. As this build is not really DoT specced the only real point in casting Affliction is to proc Lightning Barrage, which only has a 50% chance on crit. So you are essentially using 2 talents points to add two crit chances that *might* (if the target is not already dead or Purged) have a 50/50 chance of procing a double speed Force Lightning. It's way too situational for my skill point money.

Of course different players and playstyles will value the talent differently, but to each their own.

Mate no offense but reading that makes me think he is saying to squeeze an extra chain lightning into his rotation if storm procs, has nothing to do with wrath

maybe he means wrath and im totally confused

I'm really not sure what he meant then, as there is no way to fit Lightning Storm into this build. The way I read it, he thought that the only way to get an insta-cast Chain Lightning was from Lightning Storm, maybe he can clarify. :D