New Players: Get Rocket Boost!!

NSevven

Okay, I've written this umpteen times in response to other posts, so why not make it a thread that at least I can point to in the future. Here goes:

IMO, and many others, Rocket Boost is the single best quality of life item you can buy in the game from the Cartel Market. Get it. You can thank me later :)

What is Rocket Boost?

It is an ability that lets you travel at +110% (that means 2.1x) normal speed for 12 seconds. Like a mount @ 'Speeder piloting rank 3'. But it can be used in places where a mount doesn't work. Like buildings and caves. A GREAT time saver!

Note: it is legacy-based, so one unlock applies to all characters on that legacy (server).

What's the catch?

It has a 2 minute cooldown. And it costs a fair # of credits or Cartel Coins (CC).

But it has 2 upgrades, that reduce the cooldown to 30 seconds.

What you have to do:

Purchase with credits or CC. Credits are Legacy level locked unfortunately, so if you are starting out, CC are the best/only way.

Cost:

Rocket Boost is 2M credits, with Legacy >=8 required, or 400CC (no Legacy restriction),

BUT, you should instead purchase the "Going Places Bundle" on the cartel market (unlocks category) for 375CC which comes with other stuff you can use or vendor!

The two upgrades are purchased from the Legacy panel > Global Unlocks > Other. Right hand side

Improved Rocket Boost I (reduces CD 30sec): 1M credits, Legacy >= 10. Or 120CC,

Improved Rocket Boost II (reduces CD 60sec): 1.5M credits, Legacy >= 12. Or 120CC,

So, total is 375 + 120 + 120 = 615 CC.

Save your first 500 CC sub perk, make a security key which gives another 100 CC. And run one character through the starter planet (20 CC), and you can purchase the whole set.

IMHO, it is a lot better than wasting the 500 CC on a lightsaber shell (or anything else on the CM).

Hope this helps.

Edited by NSevven

Actually, I partially disagree. While Rocket Boost is very useful, and I would recommend that everyone get them (er, it - I keep thinking Rocket Boots :) ), it is not quite so useful to a brand new player. A new player doesn't really know when it's appropriate to use it - what places they can zoom through etc - and may even want to slow down and "smell the roses" occasionally.

Some players just want to speed through the "story" to get to the end-game, but others actually enjoy the story and the scenery and are not in such a hurry to get through it.

A brand new player may be better off getting the "Newcomer Bundle" or the "Going Places Bundle" (which includes Rocket Boost), or depending upon class, "Treek" or some other companion.

Edited by JediQuaker

Is the rocket boost in the going places bundle for all characters in the same server or just one character? Also, they are only boosted for 12 seconds with a one-minute cooldown..is that correct? Edited by Freygea

Is the rocket boost in the going places bundle for all characters in the same server or just one character? Also, they are only boosted for 12 seconds with a one-minute cooldown..is that correct?
All characters on that same server (i.e. Legacy).

See my original: 2-minuted cooldown if you don't get the two 120CC "improved Rocket Boost" upgrades. Get all and it is a 30 second cooldown.

All characters on that same server (i.e. Legacy).

See my original: 2-minuted cooldown if you don't get the two 120CC "improved Rocket Boost" upgrades. Get all and it is a 30 second cooldown.

I am so sorry. You did take the time to include all the info needed in your post. I actually read the post and for some reason, that did not compute. I need some coffee before reading the forums.

Thank you very much!

While I can appreciate the OP trying to get people to buy CC, and while it's a good QoL ability to have, it's not necessary. It works MOST places a speeder isn't allowed, but not all. And it does have a downside when compared to speeders. If you go into combat, it gets cancelled out.

Getting people to buy CC is most certainly NOT my intent. I've only bought CC's once. That was for Treek. And now she sits ignored.

What I am for is them getting the most use out of the CC's they have. I can't think of anything else in the CM that has remotely near Rocket Boost's utility. I use it tens to hundreds of times a session.

What is Rocket Boost?

It is an ability that lets you travel at +120% (that means 2.2x) normal speed for 12 seconds. Like a level 3 mount.

Rocket Boost gives you +110%, not +120%.

There's no such thing as a "level 3 mount". Your speed on a mount - any and every mount you have - is based on your Speeder Piloting skill, not the mount you're using:*

Speeder Piloting 1 = +90%; Piloting 2 = +100%; Piloting 3 = +110%, Piloting 4 = +120%; Piloting 5 = +130%.

* Seems there's always an exception. In this case it's the Kurtob Alliance speeder, which gives you at least +110%, regardless of the level of your Speeder Piloting skill.

Rocket Boost gives you +110%, not +120%.

Corrected, thank you. Brain fart on my part.

[There's no such thing as a "level 3 mount". Your speed on a mount - any and every mount you have - is based on your Speeder Piloting skill, not the mount you're using*]
And that would have confused who?? Oh well, modified it ... 'cause I'm as anal as you ;)

* Seems there's always an exception. In this case it's the Kurtob Alliance speeder, which gives you at least +110%, regardless of the level of your Speeder Piloting skill.
Yes, I love my Kurtob!!

Has anyone checked to ensure the Kurtob does indeed get the rank 4/5 benefits? I wouldn't put it past BW to screw this up.

Has anyone checked to ensure the Kurtob does indeed get the rank 4/5 benefits? I wouldn't put it past BW to screw this up.
I haven't done anything like careful testing, but I haven't noticed that I go any slower on the Kurtob with Piloting 5 than with any other speeders. But now I have to go see if I can figure out a reasonable test for it, just to make sure.

UPDATE:

Did some checking, and the Kurtob does indeed appear to work as advertised. Faster than "ordinary" speeders at lower Piloting ranks (1 or 2), and as fast as the others at the higher ranks (3+).

Edited by Adric_the_Red

I agree, rocket boost is a no brainer.

The amount of time saved is well worth it.

Also, I'd recommend the Legacy Unlock, Travel, piloting at level 1, if you intend to make more than a few toons. It's 40,000 credits, ( per character, Thank you Adric_the_Red for pointing that out), but again, well worth it, for the time saved. :-)

Edited by Eoinol

Also, I'd recommend the Legacy Unlock, Travel, piloting at level 1, if you intend to make more than a few toons. It's 40,000 credits, but again, well worth it, for the time saved. :-)
That unlock is a character unlock, not an account unlock. It is "Only available to the current character when unocked." So it's 40000 credits per character you want to use it on, not spend 40000 credits once and every character gets it.

• 2 years later...