The absolute BEST SW ep7 news to date...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ep 1-3..... I rest my case......:cool:
That would only make sense if George Lucas were being consulted for directing purposes, he is not.

Lucas understands the Star Wars universe better than anyone. He knows how to make the universe feel like Star Wars and he has some amazing ideas and concepts. The entire Star Wars mythos is living proof of this.

This article elaborates more. Lucas will always remain an incredible storyteller. And frankly its shameful how much hate he receives from the very fans who worship his creation.

Edited by Beniboybling

Ep 1-3..... I rest my case......:cool:

Please Eps 1-3 were great, the box office and reviews say as much and there are also fans of them, just the haters are more vocal.

That being said its not a good thing that Lucas hasn't been approached yet as Beni has said, so we shall see if it changes.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

That would only make sense if George Lucas were being consulted for directing purposes, he is not.

Lucas understands the Star Wars universe better than anyone. He knows have to make the universe feel like Star Wars and he has some amazing ideas and concepts. The entire Star Wars mythos is living proof of this.

This article elaborates more. Lucas will always remain an incredible storyteller. And frankly its shameful how much hate he receives from the very fans who worship his creation.

Agreed, tbh though the only people that really care about these people' complaints are the people writing them. Hearing people talk about how much they hated ep.1-3 is so boring. Did they have its cheesy moments, bad acting etc...., of course. Are you telling me that Mark Hammil was a great actor? Are you saying that the EWOKs were not as cheesy as Jar Jar? How about the fact that Luke and his sister had a semi Incest relationship, until Harrison Ford made the Han Solo character more popular than Lucas intended it to be? What these self proclaimed "film critics" for get is that Lucas set out to make "the best movie a 12 year old boy ever saw" those are his words. That is what he did. If you don't like certain aspects of the movies it might be because you are not 12 anymore.

PT haters that way please ---->

It seems to me that too many fans have what THEY think that the PT should have been wrapped up in their heads and are mad at Lucas because he did not follow their vision. I have never understood the hate as anything other than that. These new movies will have the same thing happen to them by some fans. Especially EU fans who appear to be clinging to their hopes that these movies will be an EU adaption. When it turns out that they are not, they will turn their hatred onto JJ Abrams for not sharing their vision.

That said, JJ Abrams has enough going for him that you can bet that he wouldn't be doing this if he had to answer to Uncle George. Lucas is around as a consultant and you can feel safe that is all he will remain if that is what makes you feel better.

Hate on the guy who created Star Wars... -_-

If J.J doesn't consult Lucas at all then the movies simply won't be that good.

Yeah, this isn't very good news.

Oh well, I guess the over-used lens flare jokes will be returning.

I hate when people do this, but, in this case, it is an effective tool.

Leeland Chee understands the Star Wars universe better than anyone.

Fixed.

Are you telling me that Mark Hammil was a great actor? Are you saying that the EWOKs were not as cheesy as Jar Jar? How about the fact that Luke and his sister had a semi Incest relationship, until Harrison Ford made the Han Solo character more popular than Lucas intended it to be?

Mark Hamill was a passable actor. And he got better as the series went along. You know, like most actors who get better as they gain experience. He's also prima voice talent, and that's just as much acting as what most people think of when they hear "acting."

The Ewoks were not nearly as cheesy as Jar-Jar, just from their appearance in Return. Add in the cartoon and the movies, and, yes, they were pretty bad. But, as a culture of superstitious warriors, they fit the bill pretty well, despite their small stature.

There was no incestuous relationship until Lucas finalized the script for Return of the Jedi, which didn't happen until he started filming Return of the Jedi. Check out Splinter of the Mind's Eye. it was the "sequel" to Star Wars before Lucas found out he was going to be able to make a real sequel to the movie. Luke and Leia were the originally intended pair, and I don't think Lucas would have intentionally put in an incestuous relationship. I think if he had originally planned to have Luke and Leia be siblings, then he would have had Foster rewrite the overtones of that novel.

If you don't like certain aspects of the movies it might be because you are not 12 anymore.

You're right. We're not 12 anymore. Or, in my case, I'm not eight months old anymore. The audience--the fandom--of Star Wars has gotten older. The universe has matured along with us. We expect newer movies to take that into account. You can totally make a movie that the original fans will love and make it extremely accessible to children. Want an example? Looney Tunes. There's so much in those cartoons that only adults will understand. Kids laugh and laugh at the surface, but the adults enjoy the depth of the jokes there. It can be the same with Star Wars. There can be some depth in space opera. It doesn't have to be all moustache-twirling evil and bumbling alien buffoons.

Edited by JacenHallis

George did have a sitdown a bit ago and set down what can and cannot be done with the Star Wars universe. This "bible" of sorts will be the guideline for all that J.J. can do. J.J. already stated he was much more of a Star Wars fan than of Star Trek, so that is a plus. Also, another article I read stated that, while they are going to go in their own direction, they will try to respect the EU as much as possible.

So while they are probably not going to introduce some of the EU characters (since most of the writers technically own them and would have to be paid royalties), they will still allude to, without saying specifically, that such things happened. Kind of like in Star Trek into Darkness where they mention the "Mudd incident". They might say, "Yeah, but then again, who would have ever thought that the Killiks could have built that space station?" or not kill off a character important to the EU. It's still pretty much up in the air anyway.

I'll just wait and see.

Lucas understands the Star Wars universe better than anyone. He knows how to make the universe feel like Star Wars and he has some amazing ideas and concepts. The entire Star Wars mythos is living proof of this.

I don't know, I think technology holds him back.....

You know in Jaws, they didn't have the Technology to show the shark eating people, so it left massive suspense to see it the first time you watch the film? The fear of what it could be builds up?

That's what happened in the OT, Lucas couldn't show everything he wanted to show so he had to come up wig story to fit its place..... He originally wanted Sidious to engage luke with vader, if I remember right. But they simply couldn't show force powers well enough, and that's all Lucas wanted to see Sidious with....

So they kept him out of it, which was the better choice, and it happened on other occasions too.

I don't know, the more technology advances, the more held back Lucas will be.

Fixed.
There is a difference between knowing Star Wars and knowing about Star Wars.

I don't know, I think technology holds him back.....
You make a good point, but that seems to me more like a directing problem. Lucas is only a creative consultant and a good one at that. People are forgetting how many ideas in TCW were his.

@Jacen

I wasn't saying that I didn't like the ewoks and I never cared that the acting in star wars was never Oscar worthy. The point I was making is that if you try hard enough you can pick apart anything and make it into what you like or don't like. It is "cool" to say you hated the prequels while calling the originals a "work of art". You can find good and bad in both. I'm sure my 18 month old daughter will think the original trilogy was old and cheesy while what will be current for her will be the BEST EVER.

George did have a sitdown a bit ago and set down what can and cannot be done with the Star Wars universe. This "bible" of sorts will be the guideline for all that J.J. can do. J.J. already stated he was much more of a Star Wars fan than of Star Trek, so that is a plus. Also, another article I read stated that, while they are going to go in their own direction, they will try to respect the EU as much as possible.

So while they are probably not going to introduce some of the EU characters (since most of the writers technically own them and would have to be paid royalties), they will still allude to, without saying specifically, that such things happened. Kind of like in Star Trek into Darkness where they mention the "Mudd incident". They might say, "Yeah, but then again, who would have ever thought that the Killiks could have built that space station?" or not kill off a character important to the EU. It's still pretty much up in the air anyway.

I'll just wait and see.

We you get this ? Post the link please because all sources so far point to Lucas has not even looked at the new movie or script so far .

There is nothing about the EU being mentioned and only so far did Disney/LucasFilms state that the Films EP1-6 will remain intact.

BAM

All the extreme Fan base just had their veins pop !

With that said , Abrams is a Star Wars Films fan and will likely stay true to those films with his own touch on them.

Lucas sold his company and properties to move on . Likely got tired of fans telling him and others around him what he can do or can't with his property .

Likely got tired of the threats that he himself got when PTs were released , all the bad feed back , and the threats his employees (Authors) were getting over their works with StarWars .

George is a incredible decent man who likely got sick of the bs and is letting Star Wars move forward now .

We you get this ? Post the link please because all sources so far point to Lucas has not even looked at the new movie or script so far .

There is nothing about the EU being mentioned and only so far did Disney/LucasFilms state that the Films EP1-6 will remain intact.

BAM

All the extreme Fan base just had their veins pop !

With that said , Abrams is a Star Wars Films fan and will likely stay true to those films with his own touch on them.

Lucas sold his company and properties to move on . Likely got tired of fans telling him and others around him what he can do or can't with his property .

Likely got tired of the threats that he himself got when PTs were released , all the bad feed back , and the threats his employees (Authors) were getting over their works with StarWars .

George is a incredible decent man who likely got sick of the bs and is letting Star Wars move forward now .

What person wouldn't get tired of all that? EXACTLY!

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

What person wouldn't get tired of all that? EXACTLY!

I think though it is unfair to those of us who liked PTs and to see Lucas go .

Ofcourse there is limited talk of Lucas stating this in the open but he did comment on his own experience with Fans attacking him over PTs , one could only speculate that seeing others in his employment and even friends (possibly) deal with the same .

I am sure he will always represent his original Property (EP1-6) without a doubt .

Star Wars was always a cash cow for him , he could have went the path most of us thought he was going .

Letting Kennedy take control and take a back seat , he would still have made money .

Its very Possible the tolls of having people attack him at his core . In which he probably felt he did not want to deal with it anymore and did not want his kids to deal with it .

Edited by mefit

I can't find where I heard or read that about there being stipulations. But I did find this bit here in THIS ARTICLE.

"Even so, he’s attended story meetings for the new film, adjudicating the physical laws and attributes of the Star Wars universe. “I mostly say, ‘You can’t do this. You can do that,’ ” Lucas says. “You know, ‘The cars don’t have wheels. They fly with antigravity.’ There’s a million little pieces. Or I can say, ‘He doesn’t have the power to do that, or he has to do this.’ I know all that stuff.”"

Iger understood Lucas’s concerns. “George said to me once that when he dies, it’s going to say ‘Star Wars creator George Lucas,’ ” he says. Still, Iger wanted to make sure that Lucas, who was used to controlling every aspect of Star Wars, from set design to lunchboxes, understood thatDisney, not Lucasfilm, would have final say over any future movies“We needed to have an understanding that if we acquire the company, despite tons of collegial conversations and collaboration, at the end of the day, we have to be the ones who sign off on whatever the plans are,” says Alan Horn, chairman of Walt Disney Studios.

Taken from above link in interview which states Disney's control and say ......

That was never in question was it? Why would they buy it if they could not control it?

You said there was stipulations and right there Disney said they can do whatever they like from new movie on ! What you quoted was why Lucas replied to about him being there to consult ...

Disney is going to do what they can to keep the series going and get new fans while trying to maintain old ones , but they will look out for their investment first .

I don't understand why George Lucas sold LucasArts to Disney in the first place. LucasArts is such a profitable and successful franchise, and on top of that it is renowned for having George at its helm, why on earth would Lucas jeopardize such a franchise and brand image by selling it?

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that Lucas gets a lot of stick from fans, I agree, but I also think that George Lucas brings a lot of it upon himself, particularly with the Clone Wars series. He appointed Dave Filoni, who despite being a brilliant director has managed to see a lot of the Star Wars Universe retconned and fans angered; and fans have a right to be angry, Lucas created a universe of magic, a universe of possibility and exploration and now people question why fans are getting shifty when Lucas kind of changes those elements?

Anyway I'm not expecting much from these new films. Something tells me they are going to dig a nice hole into canon or better yet create a hole between canon events after the fall of the Empire; pretty much only looking forward to Star Wars Rebels and the return of the Clone Wars series if there ever will be one!

You said there was stipulations and right there Disney said they can do whatever they like from new movie on ! What you quoted was why Lucas replied to about him being there to consult ...

Disney is going to do what they can to keep the series going and get new fans while trying to maintain old ones , but they will look out for their investment first .

I wish that I could find it for you, but it was eluded to that they came to an agreement on certain things. I cannot imagine that they were huge, sweeping rules. They obviously have zero bearing on disney moving forward.

Now, this is gonna bug me till I find it. I will work on that tonight lol.

Edited by TheBBP

I don't understand why George Lucas sold LucasArts to Disney in the first place. LucasArts is such a profitable and successful franchise, and on top of that it is renowned for having George at its helm, why on earth would Lucas jeopardize such a franchise and brand image by selling it?

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that Lucas gets a lot of stick from fans, I agree, but I also think that George Lucas brings a lot of it upon himself, particularly with the Clone Wars series. He appointed Dave Filoni, who despite being a brilliant director has managed to see a lot of the Star Wars Universe retconned and fans angered; and fans have a right to be angry, Lucas created a universe of magic, a universe of possibility and exploration and now people question why fans are getting shifty when Lucas kind of changes those elements?

Anyway I'm not expecting much from these new films. Something tells me they are going to dig a nice hole into canon or better yet create a hole between canon events after the fall of the Empire; pretty much only looking forward to Star Wars Rebels and the return of the Clone Wars series if there ever will be one!

He wants to retire. I think that the stipulations that Lucas and Disney agreed to (that we are talking about elsewhere in this thread) are a few certain things that Disney won't do or change. I imagine that these things revolve around the Skywalker's, but nothing that shoe-strings Disney from having fun.

I think that this is what Lucas needed to let go. To know that there are certain things that will not change. That is why.

Anyways, he wanted to marry his honey. He doesn't need or want the money. He is donating something like 2/3 of the billions he is getting to charity.