Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Most useful crew skills for personal use? Not talking about profit

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Most useful crew skills for personal use? Not talking about profit

Meradeces
10.11.2017 , 03:25 AM | #11
If you like having lots of alts, my advice would be to put a gathering or other acquisition skill on each, along with slicing. Level slicing on lockboxes, and use the occasional missions, that lockbox missions grant, to level the gathering skill of your other alts. A crew-skills mission is guaranteed to succeed, and guaranteed to grant either purple crafting materials (for skills like Underworld Trading, Diplomacy, or Investigation), or at least double the maximum non-crit yield for standard gathering skills like scavenging, archeology, et cetera. This means you can use missions to, both level the influence of your non-main followers (as you acquire them), and get purple items to craft RE schematics with.

This may sound complicated, but it essentially turns your alts into perpetual motion machines: never short of cash, seldom short of materials, and able to employ lower-influence alts to craft things, while using their main follower to quest with. If you are willing to set an alt aside, for a while, and just run lockbox missions on them from your stronghold, it also means that when you do play them, they can perpetually level on rested time.

Lockboxes run out by level 9, but by the time they go grey, you should be within a few quests of 600 in every skill, anyway, and will probably have several level 50-influence followers, just from all the lockbox quests you've run on them. You'll also be able to destory the local economy of your sever, offloading unneeded purple crafting items onto the Galactic Market, as well!

stesergio
11.14.2017 , 10:20 AM | #12
As a level 70 player with 600 skill in Cybertech I really need someone to help me understand what makes Cybertech at all useful to a level 70 player (either for yourself or to sell on GTN, I’m not interested in gearing alts).

I can craft mods, enhancements and ear pieces but as I understand it all end game gear comes from Galactic Conquest and will already have stats better than anything I could craft, is that incorrect?

Vercundus
11.15.2017 , 07:21 AM | #13
Well, selling 246 rating items is profitable, and Cybertech has a lot of them. Not all players are in T4 and therefore would buy mods. But given recent changes and speed up to ranking process, crafting mods might become less profitable.

Additional note, crafting mods require VMCs, so you will have to do the OPs or lower your profit margin by buying them off GTN.
Rename EU server to Darth Marr!
My referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/jRpChs

stesergio
11.15.2017 , 02:29 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Vercundus View Post
. But given recent changes and speed up to ranking process, crafting mods might become less profitable.

Additional note, crafting mods require VMCs, so you will have to do the OPs or lower your profit margin by buying them off GTN.
Exactly my thoughts which is why I am baffled every time I see someone saying Cybertech is one of the best crew skills to have or “great for any class.” Even while leveling, who bothers crafting and swapping mods when you level so quickly in this game and out level gear so fast?

Synthweaving, Armormech and Armstech are so much better with crafting augments and kits or Biochem as everyone needs stims, medpacks and adrenals. Even Artifice has dyes which are also consumable.

In my experience Cybertech is by far the worst Crew Skill.

psandak
11.15.2017 , 08:53 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by stesergio View Post
Well, selling 246 rating items is profitable, and Cybertech has a lot of them. Not all players are in T4 and therefore would buy mods. But given recent changes and speed up to ranking process, crafting mods might become less profitable.

Exactly my thoughts which is why I am baffled every time I see someone saying Cybertech is one of the best crew skills to have or “great for any class.” Even while leveling, who bothers crafting and swapping mods when you level so quickly in this game and out level gear so fast?

Synthweaving, Armormech and Armstech are so much better with crafting augments and kits or Biochem as everyone needs stims, medpacks and adrenals. Even Artifice has dyes which are also consumable.

In my experience Cybertech is by far the worst Crew Skill.
Couple of comments:

One significant mistake that too many crafters make is focusing on the best of the best one can craft; one does not have to craft a single 246 anything to secure major profit. On my CT I craft mostly 228 mods and enhancements, and due to quantity of sales my CT is often my second best crafter each period I record (usually once a week, sometimes two weeks).

that said, before the mergers VMC on The Harbinger were selling for as little as 150k each. isotopes were the more expensive material due to volume required (8 per piece).
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

AlrikFassbauer
11.25.2017 , 05:14 AM | #16
Well, selling 246 rating items is profitable, and Cybertech has a lot of them.
This thread's title explicitely states : "Not talking about profit".

And there are you crafters again : Derailing EVERY thread into a talk about profits.
I'm a bad player.
I have no good reputation.
I never will.
Only bad reputation.

Mubrak
11.26.2017 , 03:44 AM | #17
For the character's personal use, Biochem will benefit the char most, because the reusable stims, adrenals and medpacks basically become additional cooldowns.

If reusable grenades see a return, as was hinted at, then Cybertech will be a close second for PVP chars. Never underestimate the value of an extra AOE stun.

For the player's personal crafting (not neccesarily on the main char), without access to tons of exotic mats, Bio, Cyber, and Artifice are good choices. (Consumables for your other chars, dyes and color crystals, and the occasional stand-in Implant/Ear/Relic you can use until you get a better drop from command crates)

Next is Synthweaving which will provide all the crit /alacrity augments and augment kits you need, as well as some nice old-school gear, while sharing the mats with your artificer, followed by Armormech, which provides tanking augments and armors (duh) and shares mats with your cybertech.

That leaves Armstech on the last place. It makes accuracy augments, but offers little else. Most of the old modifiable weapons are no longer available for training on new chars, the new weapons are static ones that are quickly replaced by others, and barrels for alts are dime a dozen once you have a tech char at level 70.
Tune down reflections to pre 5.5 values!
Move inventory tabs back to the bottom!
Remove the blue glow from stronghold-speeders!

Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

psandak
11.27.2017 , 08:25 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Mubrak View Post
That leaves Armstech on the last place. It makes accuracy augments, but offers little else. Most of the old modifiable weapons are no longer available for training on new chars, the new weapons are static ones that are quickly replaced by others, and barrels for alts are dime a dozen once you have a tech char at level 70.
I agree that armstech is probably the least desirable for personal use, but the other two augments are useful depending on what you do:

it can be argued that overkill (power) augments are good for healers and DPS classes. The builds that theorycrafters promote go so far beyond the diminishing returns for crit that swapping crit for power is viable for some builds because it smooths out the rates (DPS/HPS). I've done it on my sawbones smuggler/medicine operative. It does take some getting used to, but my (real encounter) EHPS has gone up since the switch (less overheal)

it can also be argued that the fortitude (endurance) augments are good for PvP...more health = longer life.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

Faolon
12.06.2017 , 09:11 PM | #19
I have to agree that if you do not want to profit, Biochem - Bioanalysis - Diplomacy has the best value. I'm switching all my conquest alts to Biochem to save on medpacks and stims.

I've been thinking of doing something similar with my alts.
Basically having a couple alts have all the crafting specs, then replacing everyone else's crafting skill with a gathering one. Probably bio to feed the biochem.
"I will show you things... wonderful, terrible things."

Shiyoni
12.08.2017 , 07:59 AM | #20
I don't think Biochem is good option long term... New vendor at Odessen sells schematics for "improved" adrenals, medpac's, stims that are not consumed on use. So buy one and you're set for good. Your best bet is to craft something profitable...
My referral link - you'll get 1 week of subscription and preffered friends bundle - I get cartel coins.