UI Feedback: Amplifier and Amp Rerolls

EricMusco

I'm missing a summary of the active amplifiers. Instead of "+4.5% life steal / +4.5% life steal / +5% life steal" I 'd prefer to see "+14% life steal". When I want to know where it comes from, the current listing would be nice, but not a necessity, we don't have that for stats like accuracy either.

AFAIR weapon shells won't have amplifiers so the drops aren't superior to CM weapons. But amplifiers are shown as empty in the UI (the UI needs a lot of polish anyway). That made me thinking: why not give every moddable weapon shell in the game a base amplifier, no matter whether from drops, reputation vendors or the cartel market. Make it something irrelevant like +0.01% weapon damage, but allow us to reroll that amp.

UI in general: Obviously still a work in progress, but not a fan of the huge character window. The previous one was perfect. Adding a big empty space to a prominent UI element, that will only be used by the third page of that window (ship) is bad design. We often have several windows open, and most of the time the character window is one of them. Don't make it take more screen space than neccessary. Just move half of the ship gear slots to the other side.

Edited by Mubrak

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went and made most of my amplifiers gold and for the ones I kind of wanted.

One armoring was in the millions in no time at all.

I will say this again this is Gambling exactly the way it is set up. put item in place bet spin the wheel and presto useless to great reward. Kept waiting for a zonk.

What it does need is a consolidated percentage or +point total and not a list of each one.

With the cost prohibitive nature of the system it will be a long time before I attempt to upgrade before a better one drops.

Request a direct sale for the stat percentage that I might want.

Enough is enough

I went and made most of my amplifiers gold and for the ones I kind of wanted.

One armoring was in the millions in no time at all.

I will say this again this is Gambling exactly the way it is set up. put item in place bet spin the wheel and presto useless to great reward. Kept waiting for a zonk.

What it does need is a consolidated percentage or +point total and not a list of each one.

With the cost prohibitive nature of the system it will be a long time before I attempt to upgrade before a better one drops.

Request a direct sale for the stat percentage that I might want.

Enough is enough

I’m glad someone else agrees this is straight up gambling and not even subtle RNG gambling

I agree with some of the previous posters that there needs to be a cap on amount of credits a re-roll costs

Why would anyone waste significant amoutn of credits on re-rolling amplifiers when such credits are needed for the proper gear?

I was re-rolling just for the heck of it and not only did many re-rolls seem quite crappy crew/crafting skill bonuses that were of no use to my char, but its kinda ridiculous that re-rolling something giving such a tiny bonus like amplifiers can increase up to millions, I stopped at 23mil re-roll cost because I ran out of credits

I agree with some of the previous posters that there needs to be a cap on amount of credits a re-roll costs

Why would anyone waste significant amoutn of credits on re-rolling amplifiers when such credits are needed for the proper gear?

I was re-rolling just for the heck of it and not only did many re-rolls seem quite crappy crew/crafting skill bonuses that were of no use to my char, but its kinda ridiculous that re-rolling something giving such a tiny bonus like amplifiers can increase up to millions, I stopped at 23mil re-roll cost because I ran out of credits

Some things I’ve figured out is the left side gear (ear, implants, relics) only give you crafting amps

Amoring and enhancements give combat amps (and possibly crafting, I need to confirm)

Mods give you crafting amps

Armor set pieces have a mix (need to confirm)

The “special amp” version Armor sets, aka, the ones that say that at the set bonus vendors, definitely have combat amps.

There seems to be an amp you can get from the crafting rerolls called “unlucky” and it’s a gold one. But the description is vague at best. I’ve no idea what it does.

I hope that helps anyone trying to roll amps and wondering why they only get crafting when they are looking for a combat amp on an item.

Edit: it’s a shame Bioware couldn’t have just told us that at the start instead of us spending hours rerolling.

I really hope they will explain that when it goes live.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I think we need to know exatly how those amplifiers will work asap. They have potential to be game breaking

The Life Stealing amp is not working on current pts.

The gold life stealing is 5% od the damage you do, you'll heal yourself.

Do amplifiers stack? if they stack you'll have a total of 35% of selfhealing. seriously?

And on top of that is amour penetration. 2.5% max on each barrel/hilt and armoring...asuming it stacks a total of 22.5%.

I like the new feel of the UI but could you possibly add a tooltip or some other indicator that you’re supposed to double-click to open rerolls? I can kind of see how the button design hints at it, but only after I already figured it out. Everything else in the game is single-click, so that was a little bizarre.

I think we need to know exatly how those amplifiers will work asap. They have potential to be game breaking

The Life Stealing amp is not working on current pts.

The gold life stealing is 5% od the damage you do, you'll heal yourself.

Do amplifiers stack? if they stack you'll have a total of 35% of selfhealing. seriously?

And on top of that is amour penetration. 2.5% max on each barrel/hilt and armoring...asuming it stacks a total of 22.5%.

What? The thing that's too small to be influential yet is somehow is important to min/maxing isn't a smart way to do things? Who's said anything of the sort?

...oh wait, I have.

Played around with the Amps again tonight and spent around 2 billion credits.

There needs to be a cap on how much a reroll costs, even if you keep rolling to find the one you want. I would suggest 30,000 credits considering how some have little or no affect on much.

I can not emphasis this enough, you need to make sure the rolls don’t start going backwards in quality. If I roll a +1 potent alacrity and then a +4 potent alacrity and I’m trying for a +6, the last thing I want to see is another +1 potent alacrity. Especially when I’m up to 100,000 credits,

I would also suggest that the costs be refunded if you choose not to upgrade, If you are looking for a specific amp and it’s just not rolling, you shouldn’t have to pay for each roll if you end up keeping the one you’ve got.

It’s too much like gambling on a slot machine and I found myself mesmerised while I was rerolling. Next thing I’d spent half a billion credits because I wasn’t too focused on getting the “spin” I wanted,

That’s definitely not a good feeling and I think it really is borderline gambling more than RNG. “Which will get you into trouble” with certain countries definitions of what gambling is vs RNG loot boxes. I know Australia is currently investigating the whole RNG loot box gambling influence on people, especially children (even free Loot boxes and RNG systems). I would hate to see them restrict swtor in our region because of it,

I swore that with the reactions to all of the "input" we've been offering that I was done even talking (like it really matters one way or the other !! )

1. Trixx … you're right. And I would like to add:

2. Here's my assessment thus far:

Between the RNG stuff ... and not knowing what you're going to get with a "re-roll" …(not to mention the expense of the re-roll) … makes working toward specific stats just about as big of a guess as it gets.

So what is the point of doing re-rolls. For the record I know what the point SHOULD be. But from what I can see there is no way to tell what to re-roll OR what to expect from doing the re-roll.

Does re-rolling improve stats? It should BUT IMO the simple fact is that unless you get a group of either 3 or 4 players on each team with specific stats... have them re-roll to "adjust" those stats … then see what happens the end results are open ended and ambiguous at best. In other words only an experiment under a wider range of controlled specific conditions would reveal specific results.

Frankly as it is … re-rolling is simply a waste of resources (namely credits) unless you have several hundred million to throw at the chance of getting it right.... maybe !

This is not a rant. I'm simply trying to express the difficulties of stating specific results without having specific controlled testing.

3. Also: What happens if we re-roll and wish we had the original back ? Then what ? IMO... Something tells me that once you hit that "magic button to re-roll" there's no turning back. At least that seems to be what I've found thus far.

note: After doing this for a while now … I can honestly say that this is more disappointing now than it was earlier

Have they capped the reroll costs yet?

I can’t bring myself to testing this again.

Not so much... Just could not get the specs I wanted. I almost there was a reset switch that would take us back to the starting point that a particular piece of gear was at before we re-rolled it (even if it cost more credits) …

Why? (You might ask) … Because some of the re-rolls were in worse shape than what the individual piece started out !!

:eek:

I hope this makes sense.

Why? (You might ask) … Because some of the re-rolls were in worse shape than what the individual piece started out !! :eek:.

Hi Buzzard, I bumped into you yesterday on Mek-Sha! :)

Perhaps it's not obvious, but the re-rolls only get applied when we actively choose to update the item. We can keep an original amplifier as long as we want, only changing it when we apply a new roll that we actively prefer. Now we can't revert to the original after that, but I think that's better than having no option to retain the original at all.

Edited by Estelindis

Scrap them is my only thought. GL balancing.

Other than that:

Implement upper limit for rerolls or let us just pay for whatever we want after a certain threshold cause this is rediculous. Why the huge costs if you can just get another mod (that drop in droves from Hammer Station btw) or rip it out of useless armor that drops and reroll on that for like 10 times each till you have what you want? The system is flawed, over complicated and super boring.

Make us do stuff to actually improve our amplifiers instead of the amazing gameplay mechanic of click, no i dont want this, click, no i dont want this, click, no i dont want this, click, no i dont want this, click, no i dont want this, click, no i dont want this, click, no i dont want this, click, no i dont want this, click, no i dont want this, click, no i dont want this, click, no i dont want this, click, no i dont want this, click, no i dont want this, click, no i dont want this, click, no i dont want this, click, no i dont want this, click, no i dont want this, click, no i dont want this.

Hi Buzzard, I bumped into you yesterday on Mek-Sha! :)

Perhaps it's not obvious, but the re-rolls only get applied when we actively choose to update the item. We can keep an original amplifier as long as we want, only changing it when we apply a new roll that we actively prefer. Now we can't revert to the original after that, but I think that's better than having no option to retain the original at all.

Exactly !! I agree and understand.

However, sometimes if we look at our over all collection of armor parts we get the idea that perhaps certain stats "could be" improved ! Please note: could be … ??? From there we start the re-roll process on .. well just for discussion we will suggest only one item (piece of armor) … perhaps ! After SEVERAL attempts at re-rolling ( and a large number of credits ) we discover that we are in fact in worse shape. YES .. from what I've determined that could actually happen.

BUT... even sadder still we can't return to the original setting that piece came with even if we wanted to. Now we get to RNG for a replacement piece of armor with the same stats ?? Good luck with that ! Heck .. I should start playing the LOTTO. I'd stand a better chance !!

Exactly !! I agree and understand.

However, sometimes if we look at our over all collection of armor parts we get the idea that perhaps certain stats "could be" improved ! Please note: could be … ??? From there we start the re-roll process on .. well just for discussion we will suggest only one item (piece of armor) … perhaps ! After SEVERAL attempts at re-rolling ( and a large number of credits ) we discover that we are in fact in worse shape. YES .. from what I've determined that could actually happen.

BUT... even sadder still we can't return to the original setting that piece came with even if we wanted to. Now we get to RNG for a replacement piece of armor with the same stats ?? Good luck with that ! Heck .. I should start playing the LOTTO. I'd stand a better chance !!

If you come across a level 306 gold armor penetration amplifier, you might think about saving it, even if you don't need it right now, because of this very reason. Just buy another armoring that doesn't come with a gold amplifier out of the box and reroll on that one.

I'm confused by what you're saying, because I feel like we can do exactly that. We can waste lots of credits and only get worse results, but as long we don't update the amplifier, we don't lose the original one.

I guess maybe you're suggesting a situation where we think a rolled amplifier is better than it really is, so we choose to update the item, but then later regret doing so, because the new amplifier wasn't what we thought? But I think what makes the best case for that is a clear explanation of what everything does, so we can have a precise and accurate basis for our decisions.

I mean if there was some way to revert to the original original after that, maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing, but then you'd still have the problem of people regretting their choices and wishing they could go back to a non-original amplifier that they rolled but then overwrote. I really do feel like the absolute best thing for BW to do is to give us clear and accurate info about what all the amplifiers do.

Edited by Estelindis

If you come across a level 306 gold armor penetration amplifier, you might think about saving it, even if you don't need it right now, because of this very reason. Just buy another armoring that doesn't come with a gold amplifier out of the box and reroll on that one.

OH most DEFINATELY .. 306 anything … actually … Until I'm done with the build and ready to take the next step up. Even then … IMO swap out pieces carefully and don't throw anything out until you are confident of what you have in hand !!

I'm confused by what you're saying, because I feel like we can do exactly that. We can waste lots of credits and only get worse results, but as long we don't update the amplifier, we don't lose the original one.

I guess maybe you're suggesting a situation where we think a rolled amplifier is better than it really is, so we choose to update the item, but then later regret doing so, because the new amplifier wasn't what we thought? But I think what makes the best case for that is a clear explanation of what everything does, so we can have a precise and accurate basis for our decisions.

I mean if there was some way to revert to the original original after that, maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing, but then you'd still have the problem of people regretting their choices and wishing they could go back to a non-original amplifier that they rolled but then overwrote. I really do feel like the absolute best thing for BW to do is to give us clear and accurate info about what all the amplifiers do.

Believe it or not .. you're on the right track. And the truth is … again you are correct that some would complain regardless.

I also agree that better information should be provided regarding the specifics of amplifiers.

Good points !

First off, I did have trouble finding the amplifier window. I found it unintuitive that it would just be a button in the character panel. I would have expected amplifier interaction to involve some sort of NPC/console instead of being a random UI element. Later I did notice that you can also access the re-roll window by clicking on a gear item to modify it, which made more sense to me, though I admit it's still nice to have a separate window to give you an overview of all the different amplifiers you have equipped.

The main amplifier window is weird at the moment. I don't know what the order of items/amplifiers is based on, but it makes no sense to have boots above head and so on. The item order in it should be the same as on the character panel IMO.

I also don't get why we need to double-click on the little arrow on the side to open the re-roll window? Nothing else in game requires double-clicking! I thought I was doing something wrong at first and only finally figured out how to open it more or less by accident.

Also, I agree with most posters on this thread that more information about amplifiers needs to be part of the UI. I don't know if we necessarily need to be given a full list from the start... maybe there could be something like an "amplifier collections" window where you slowly uncover them all, with each reroll result being added to the list? Just a random idea; I'm no game designer. But as it is, I didn't find it very compelling to keep rolling with no idea what I was even shooting for. Aside from not knowing what all the different effects are, it's also hard to tell which numbers are good or bad. I don't like that +1 can be a green on one stat while +0.9 is a purple on another... just makes it very confusing.

First off, I did have trouble finding the amplifier window. I found it unintuitive that it would just be a button in the character panel. I would have expected amplifier interaction to involve some sort of NPC/console instead of being a random UI element. Later I did notice that you can also access the re-roll window by clicking on a gear item to modify it, which made more sense to me, though I admit it's still nice to have a separate window to give you an overview of all the different amplifiers you have equipped.

The main amplifier window is weird at the moment. I don't know what the order of items/amplifiers is based on, but it makes no sense to have boots above head and so on. The item order in it should be the same as on the character panel IMO.

I also don't get why we need to double-click on the little arrow on the side to open the re-roll window? Nothing else in game requires double-clicking! I thought I was doing something wrong at first and only finally figured out how to open it more or less by accident.

Also, I agree with most posters on this thread that more information about amplifiers needs to be part of the UI. I don't know if we necessarily need to be given a full list from the start... maybe there could be something like an "amplifier collections" window where you slowly uncover them all, with each reroll result being added to the list? Just a random idea; I'm no game designer. But as it is, I didn't find it very compelling to keep rolling with no idea what I was even shooting for. Aside from not knowing what all the different effects are, it's also hard to tell which numbers are good or bad. I don't like that +1 can be a green on one stat while +0.9 is a purple on another... just makes it very confusing.

IMO.... A good place to start would be to better understand how they affect over all player stats on a chart or a part of the character build .. something.

edit: by this I mean something added to the UI … character screen .. chart.. Something. right now an Ouija board would be an improvement !!

The better we understand that the better choices we can make with re-rolling !

Edited by OlBuzzard