Are CARTEL PACKS coming to an END????

Anzel

Members of Congress from several states are proposing legislation to make this type of online gambling illegal. They refer to gambling packs as "predatory practices" that are designed to lure children into spending money.

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE PREDATORY BEHAVIOR ANNOUNCEMENT

Comparisons are made between Joe Camel encouraging children to smoke and the use of Star Wars to encourage gambling. In the press briefing, major concerns were raised from local officials, parents and legislators. Has EA finally pushed it too far with gambling? I mean, at least with a slot machine you have to be 21 and have a small chance of getting your money back.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Members of Congress from several states are proposing legislation to make this type of online gambling illegal. They refer to gambling packs as "predatory practices" that are designed to lure children into spending money.

Comparisons are made between Joe Camel encouraging children to smoke and the use of Star Wars to encourage gambling. In the press briefing, major concerns were raised from local officials, parents and legislators. Has EA finally pushed it too far with gambling? I mean, at least with a slot machine you have to be 21 and have a small chance of getting your money back.

Belgium already passed that amendment(http://www.pcgamer.com/belgium-says-loot-boxes-are-gambling-wants-them-banned-in-europe/). It only waits to be made unto full scale law. Which only means that the whole of EU will most likely follow suit. I say, just slap "Adult Only". You don't need to do more. ;)

As for SWTOR...I don't know. On one hand, a loot box costs, what? a Dollar? On the other hand you don't know what you're getting. Also keep in mind 60$ Lightsaber we had a few weeks back. That'd be...unfortunate if all items were sold like that. The best way?

Lootbox regulation. Here:

WRITE WHAT WE CAN GET IN A LOOTBOX + PERCENTAGES.

Cut the possibility of getting duplicates(...really, this isn't a physical product like MTG Booster is).

REGULATE TIGHTLY what we can get. See more: Diablo 3's Loot 2.0 .

Raise the price if need be.

Done!

Edited by Cuiwe

My thinking is that it won't. The governments have to actually follow through on the laws which I don't expect. However the problem is not children, it's adults with low restraint. They are susceptible to these tactics and make just enough money that they have full control of to get into trouble.

China passed a loot box law earlier this year and I've had yet to see any effects due to it.

My thinking is that it won't. The governments have to actually follow through on the laws which I don't expect. However the problem is not children, it's adults with low restraint. They are susceptible to these tactics and make just enough money that they have full control of to get into trouble.

China passed a loot box law earlier this year and I've had yet to see any effects due to it.

If you read the original text in Dutch (one of the main languages in Belgium), then it says children in particular, but not exclusively.

Belgium states that it is gambling to them for two reasons: First you don't see what you buy and secondly it links spending money to addictive behaviour and so they see it as gambling and undesireable and actual harmful in general.

The Dutch are also doing an investigation and there is a low awaiting approval in the Senate to regulate online gambling. The Dutch take focuses purely on the financial aspect, so there it has to be proven that there is a monetary value. The gold/credit sellers who make money of in game currencies and items may well be the bane for game developers in this respect because they have given it a monetary value.

Cartel packs could at some point be considered by these laws since credit sellers also sell crates and items.

Still, legislation doesn't move fast so it may be a little while yet. Still, I think that SWTOR's move to change the CM and offer more direct sales is a good one and it might safeguard them for the future if direct sales are profitable enough.

Might put a dent on the night life event.

Well the night life event is not linked to money. The tokens and rewards are legacy bound and so cannot be traded for a real life monetary value.

The law is not generally interested if it doesn't involve real money. Still, they've only done it twice because they probably don't want to anger parents of teenagers because there the perception counts as well.

I think it will affect what swtor does but not much. From what I understand the issue is buying things that give you an advantage in game, pay to win. What swtor does is not pay to win. However, the issue of people buying these loot boxes and not knowing what they are going to get would affect the crates they sell. So since all of the stuff they sell in the crates is cosmetic only I do not think it will affect the game in any major way they might have to tweak how they do some things but nothing major.

Given the current US regulatory climate, I think it's probably more likely (in the short term at least) to see Joe Camel make a comeback than to see Loot Crates banned.

Regulatory changes, either through agencies or passing new laws, are the result of lobbying -- concerted efforts by organized interests pushing to see them passed. I certainly think plenty of game companies will band together to lobby against any such changes, but I'm skeptical we'll see the sort of organized push on the other side to make regulation happen (especially given the current disfavor for regulation in general). U.S. consumer advocacy groups have some 'bigger fish to fry' at the moment, not the least being the Net Neutrality news recently coming out.

A state legislator in Hawaii (he's not a U.S. Congressperson) made some headlines for himself by jumping on the EA news (which made CNN and other nationwide outlets). Maybe he's got enough clout to push something through in Hawaii, and if so that could hopefully start to build some momentum behind greater transparency. But I think we are a long, long way from any sort of regulation on the federal level in the United States.

I think it will affect what swtor does but not much. From what I understand the issue is buying things that give you an advantage in game, pay to win. What swtor does is not pay to win. However, the issue of people buying these loot boxes and not knowing what they are going to get would affect the crates they sell. So since all of the stuff they sell in the crates is cosmetic only I do not think it will affect the game in any major way they might have to tweak how they do some things but nothing major.

The Belgian authorities were not concerned with pay2win but rather the RNG element where you don't see what you buy and the monetising of addictive behaviours that are encouraged or enabled in games.

Pay2win is definitely an issue for gamers, but not for the law as such from what I can tell.

Not a personally a fan of this, because I tend to buy stuff from GTN, not directly from cartel market, and I'm gonna guess that stuff that's not that popular isn't gonna be bought and sold by someone else. Suddenly I'd have to pay 2 000 cartel coins if I want my corrupted varactyl. :(

But yeah, I get the need to protect children and people with gambling addictions. If they are the majority who are buying these packs and selling stuff, making them illegal seems like the most logical thing to do. Though, if the majority is adults who just decide to try their luck (or just want some stuff to sell in the GTN), I kind of feel that the government doesn't need to butt into how people decide to spend their money. It's really not up to them.

No it won't because online gambling is legal here in the USA, so this will have no bearing on that.

Also "children" aren't even supposed to be playing this game as it's T rated & online not even rated. Anyone under 18 doesn't have a credit card anyway & has to have their parent's card to pay for a sub.

(If they hold a job & have a debit card, then that's honestly on them if they blow their whole paycheck on a sub & some items in game. No difference than them going to the store & grabbing all the latest trading cards/PS4/Xbox games.)

As one person stated it's adults with low self control that buy these expensive in game items anyway. Someone with a lack of sense & too much money (or a CC, either way it's bad).

Good. Get rid of them. Direct sales only, on a rotating basis.

**** RNG and the resulting gouging.

However I wouldn't hold my breath.

You sure? 60$+ items? That's an ENTIRE GAME!

We need RNG regulation, not RNG ban.

Edited by Cuiwe

No it won't because online gambling is legal here in the USA, so this will have no bearing on that.

Also "children" aren't even supposed to be playing this game as it's T rated & online not even rated. Anyone under 18 doesn't have a credit card anyway & has to have their parent's card to pay for a sub.

(If they hold a job & have a debit card, then that's honestly on them if they blow their whole paycheck on a sub & some items in game. No difference than them going to the store & grabbing all the latest trading cards/PS4/Xbox games.)

As one person stated it's adults with low self control that buy these expensive in game items anyway. Someone with a lack of sense & too much money (or a CC, either way it's bad).

There are gambling laws for anyone under 21 in the US, and in they're looking into loot crates in a few states too now because of the whole BF2 thing. I think this game is for 13 and beyond, since when are 13 year olds no longer children? Do you think it's hard to grab your parents credit card, or make a paypal as a kid?

Haven't you heard what happened on the XBOX (or PS4) platform where kids made purchases from games.

Edited by Eshvara

Not a personally a fan of this, because I tend to buy stuff from GTN, not directly from cartel market, and I'm gonna guess that stuff that's not that popular isn't gonna be bought and sold by someone else. Suddenly I'd have to pay 2 000 cartel coins if I want my corrupted varactyl. :(

But yeah, I get the need to protect children and people with gambling addictions. If they are the majority who are buying these packs and selling stuff, making them illegal seems like the most logical thing to do. Though, if the majority is adults who just decide to try their luck (or just want some stuff to sell in the GTN), I kind of feel that the government doesn't need to butt into how people decide to spend their money. It's really not up to them.

You're assuming it has to be either insane gambling or insane direct sales.

1. Some items on the Cartel Market are super affordable.

2. Items are *still* able to be traded on the GTN. Paying 2,000 coins is still infinitely cheaper than $500 in gambling just to get one item. Prices on the GTN should GO DOWN since the average price on a platinum (what a joke) item will be less.

Given the current US regulatory climate, I think it's probably more likely (in the short term at least) to see Joe Camel make a comeback than to see Loot Crates banned.

Regulatory changes, either through agencies or passing new laws, are the result of lobbying -- concerted efforts by organized interests pushing to see them passed. I certainly think plenty of game companies will band together to lobby against any such changes, but I'm skeptical we'll see the sort of organized push on the other side to make regulation happen (especially given the current disfavor for regulation in general). U.S. consumer advocacy groups have some 'bigger fish to fry' at the moment, not the least being the Net Neutrality news recently coming out.

A state legislator in Hawaii (he's not a U.S. Congressperson) made some headlines for himself by jumping on the EA news (which made CNN and other nationwide outlets). Maybe he's got enough clout to push something through in Hawaii, and if so that could hopefully start to build some momentum behind greater transparency. But I think we are a long, long way from any sort of regulation on the federal level in the United States.

This ^

The law won't change because the industry that makes 100s of billions of dollars from these boxes doesn't want it to change. The men with the most money make the laws. One state legislator complaining won't change anyone's mind on Capitol Hill if Industry lobbyists carry on making "campaign contributions" to the right people.

Outlawing all of these gambling loot boxes in gaming I think will be an excellent step for the world as we know it. Direct sales are much better, and heck, I'm far more likely to spend some on direct sales since I know I'll get what I want!

I can't wait to see if loot boxes get made illegal. I'll probably throw a party if it happens.

I'm really not understanding how this "law" will affect games at all. Companies can simply slap "18+" or "21+" on it correct and their hands be clean of any issue? Or am I reading it wrong? And "Adults Only" or "Mature" has never affected the sales of games in the past at all, so I'd imagine most game companies could care less about stamping that on them. Yeah, it might lose SOME customers, but then again it could GAIN some customers too. Personally I shop for M-rated games because I don't like kiddie games that pull punches. Just my preference.

You sure? 60$+ items? That's an ENTIRE GAME!

We need RNG regulation, not RNG ban.

No, you need the RNG ban. I would really invite you to watch the video in my OP. Gambling is a problem and EA is preying on people (children) with said problem. You may not have an issue with gambling but many people do. Just like you may not have a problem with alcohol or tobacco or drugs. It doesn't change the fact that it ruins people's lives. Seeing a company like EA use someone's sickness to make make money is disgusting.

No, you need the RNG ban. I would really invite you to watch the video in my OP. Gambling is a problem and EA is preying on people (children) with said problem. You may not have an issue with gambling but many people do. Just like you may not have a problem with alcohol or tobacco or drugs. It doesn't change the fact that it ruins people's lives. Seeing a company like EA use someone's sickness to make make money is disgusting.

IMO we don't need bans on alcohol, or tobacco, or drugs, either. We need sensible regulation of them. (Prohibition didn't work out so well in the U.S.)

Part of that regulation should be controls to ensure they're not aimed at children and that there are mechanisms in place to fight addictions; but if a consenting, legally competent adult wants to drink, or smoke, or yes, even gamble, then they should be allowed to do so.

Edited by DarthDymond