Which Trooper AC?

MikeFL

I have a Merc (which I love), but I'm looking to roll a Trooper. I played both Vanguard and Commando to around level 40 back around launch (ended up using an extra lvl 70 boost on my commando but I never really played it after that), but I haven't touched the Trooper class in years. How are they now? I don't mind doubling up on AC's (going Merc/mando), but what would you recommend? I'm flexible and enjoy both ranged and melee combat, so that really isn't a decision making factor for me. How do you like the aesthetics?

I really enjoy the look of a Vanguard with an assault rifle (I love the look of clone troopers so this one looks great), however, I have heard that VG can be very bland to play. On the other hand, I love the play style of Commando, but find that Mercenary has far better animations and I enjoy the dual blasters better than compared to Commando's cannon. Which one would you recommend, given that I haven't played either since around Hutt Cartel?

Edited by MikeFL

When I made my Trooper, Advance Class was something you picked up at Fleet when you got there... and for me, what really made the decision was Autocannon > Rifle. My Bounty Hunter was made at the same time, and I went Power Tech to flip the mirrors.

...anyways. I did make a smurf Trooper recently; I got a nice Blaster Rifle in a Command Crate and I decided I wanted to try a Vanguard. My Tactics Vanguard didn't last long at all... but I've made a Plasma Trooper, and I'm finding that to be a lot more fun. I think my biggest disappointment with Tactics was that the "gut" mechanic was a cheap copy of the Operative Vibroknife abilities... I wanted to see more of an uppercut to the stomach kind of evisceration.

When I made my Trooper, Advance Class was something you picked up at Fleet when you got there... and for me, what really made the decision was Autocannon > Rifle. My Bounty Hunter was made at the same time, and I went Power Tech to flip the mirrors.

...anyways. I did make a smurf Trooper recently; I got a nice Blaster Rifle in a Command Crate and I decided I wanted to try a Vanguard. My Tactics Vanguard didn't last long at all... but I've made a Plasma Trooper, and I'm finding that to be a lot more fun. I think my biggest disappointment with Tactics was that the "gut" mechanic was a cheap copy of the Operative Vibroknife abilities... I wanted to see more of an uppercut to the stomach kind of evisceration.

So Plasma > Tactics? That might explain why I have such a hard time with Vanguard. (Mine is Tactics, and I dislike it fairly intensely.)

So Plasma > Tactics? That might explain why I have such a hard time with Vanguard. (Mine is Tactics, and I dislike it fairly intensely.)

Plasma is not better than tactics. Plasma is an ammo eater for VG(or a heat builder from he'll on PT). AP really needs to be high level to shine and grinding one out is a pain. But full on lvl 70 pound for pound tactics/AP is the best discipline bar none.

I didn't enjoy my Tactics Vanguard very much. I deleted the char before I hit level 20. I'm not talking about how "good" the spec is, but how much I enjoy it.