Why should it take so long to balance the game?

Highsis

SWTOR is not Starcraft or LOL. There is practically no meta. PvP is pretty straightforward and unbalance cannot be overcome with innovations, but only with frequent patches to address issues at hand.

Then why the hell does it take so long for SWTOR team to address balance issues?

Does anyone need statistic proofs of sins/sorcs being OP? A subscription fee is paid monthly; one who chose to main marauder, for instance, shouldn't suffer automatic defeat in ranked for 4~6 months before the problem is addressed.

I don't expect Bioware to handle balance perfectly but it hell beats sitting still and doing nothing for months waiting for statistics. Do something about sorcs/sins ASAP, and if nerf is too much adjust it accordingly in frequent manners. This is ridiculous.

I play hatred sin and it makes me shudder to think my char's OPness will persist for months before it ever gets addressed. Do the balancing quickly, otherwise it's not fair for up classes.

Completely remove powers that were originally in game? Completely revamping powers so much so that the mechanic of it gets redefined? Introduction of new powers that never existed in the game until [insert date here]?

Revamped skill trees top to bottom? Typical Dev team over nerf/buff routines [should always start with 50% of what ya'll think it should have been] keeping things dicey all the time.....(by design? maybe that's the actual goal. Keeps the game in a constant state of change and thus in theory is "progressive" and dare I say..."interesting"....)

Plus we love to hate it?

Mash it all together, throw in some of your own spices and somewhere in there is your answer lol. :)

ymmv

If you don't realize why balance is so hard to achieve then there really is no reason to try to explain it to you

Doesn't that only mean that Bioware should patch the game more frequently to get the right balance? Do you solve difficult puzzles by simply staring it for days, or do you try to solve it and get closer to the answer in each attempt. I did not even say balancing is supposed to be easy. I'm taking issue with the time it takes until Bioware addresses issue, not the time it takes until they perfectly fixes it. Read carefully.

Edited by Highsis

It's really a matter of laziness or lack of bother by Bioware. MMOs have been here for decades now and as they really are much the same you'd THINK that Devs would not continue to make the same mistakes, somehow they do. So either they are morons or it is done for some reason we cannot know but can guess to make ppl reroll a 'good' class therefor keep playing and paying. Balance should be VERY straight forward by now, I do not accept it is 'difficult' to achieve as I said with all the years of experiance these people have to draw from.

They are on holiday. We have no clue if there is even a pve bounty week next week (like usual), much less any sort of patch, content or future beyond "wait for SW7 and the subscribers will come".

Where are their New Years Resolutions, at least a statement on what happens next?

Blizzare did an awesome job with balance in Star Craft. I have to give it up to them. The key was to start with solid core game and to make only minor changes to the classes and mechanics over time. The balance in that game was near perfection. Bioware seems to have thrown that out the window. One major nerf or buff after another to the point some classes like mara/sents are complete broken in PVP. Edited by chosonman

SWTOR is not Starcraft or LOL. There is practically no meta. PvP is pretty straightforward and unbalance cannot be overcome with innovations, but only with frequent patches to address issues at hand.

difference between swtor and lol is that swtor has pvp and pve and mobas are pvp only

Edited by nitroyoshi

To be honest, it has been pretty pitiful their "attempts" at balancing. They buffed classes that didn't need buffs, and nerfed classes that were already pretty much under performing. I mean, do they just throw garden darts at a giant idea dart board or something?

Because they are lazy as crack? :confused:

Seriously they can just play with numbers in the table without scripting or coding. Once per week.

Well, they cant fix the tank damage bug for a month! And this just the one simple number in the table... :rolleyes:

They are on holiday.

For three years already. Must be a fun party... :D

Edited by Glower

Doesn't that only mean that Bioware should patch the game more frequently to get the right balance? Do you solve difficult puzzles by simply staring it for days, or do you try to solve it and get closer to the answer in each attempt. I did not even say balancing is supposed to be easy. I'm taking issue with the time it takes until Bioware addresses issue, not the time it takes until they perfectly fixes it. Read carefully.

This game would die a very quick very painful death if players couldn't determine from one week to the next what their character was going to be.

Balance takes data. The anecdotes of people on the forums are meaningless. They need data pulled from thousands of matches. If that shows an unbalance, they have shown that they will do something about it.

Edited by Master-Nala

balance after a new level cap is always bad, and I think that's understandable. I'm concerned mostly that BW will not balance properly, as I think they have largely failed to do so since the game's inception. very few balancing patches have been judicious or incremental. It seems as though classes are given huge buffs, buffs in the wrong places, and most importantly, the balancing patches are spaced out too infrequently. Every 2 months should be about right. Coming off of a new level cap, every month for three months. There's just too much "live" testing that needs to occur while and, more importantly, after gear is ground.

The game is rather balanced when it comes to regs and has been for a long time. Some classes fit into certain roles but from a team play aspect they all do very well. I have them all and feel they are all great. The "underpowered" classes you are talking about are probably mara, dps op, sniper, and dps merc.

Mara - great with support but does suffer some when lacks support and the other team has a lot of ranged chars. So yes mara does have some issues in regs but in an even match with support mara is still a force to be reckoned with. If I'm putting together a strong premade then I would love a good mara.

dps op - a good one is a great addition to the team. In a gear based mmo a burst based stealth class does need decent gear. That is just how it is. If it wasn't this way then a min/max one would one shot everyone :) . There are only a couple great dps ops on my server but I'd take them over any other dps in regs. l2p issue really.

sniper - omg I love my sniper. I don't know why people are complaining. They do have some issues in ranked though but season one even on mm I was able to quickly get my mount. They are a lot stronger now than they were then.

dps merc - a lot of fun and a powerhouse in regs. If your team sucks and you are pressured then yes a cast time based class can be rough but in most cases I can rain hell on my opponents.

Now for arenas they have always had balance issues and they likely always will. QQ about the balance if you wish but the pendulum will just swing the other way. From the rank q's I would say most people spend most of their time in regs and that is where most of the complaining is coming from which is really just a l2p issue. Also if your ranked experience is yolo then again all classes do rather well (except for dps merc :) ).