This is what I posted on my Guild's forums...(PvP rant)

Torothin

I think you guys would appreciate this: I come from 8 years of Eve and 8 months of WoW so I consider myself seasoned in the MMO area.

Like I said on ts, I only play MMO's for the PvP. I could care less about PvE. I just don't like to do PvE at all. After gearing up and becoming more geared I am losing faith that this game will keep me interested past the 6 month mark. I was expecting new and amazing things and yet what I get is a game that when it is all said and done is WoW but Star Wars themed.

I'm not sure what needs to be done here. But I'm not one to roll multiple classes to see the story lines. I like to stick with one character and excel with him and be known for that character. What I see here is a gear grind with no risk/reward when it comes to PvP making the game that much less exciting. I said it before and I'll say it again, this game should have been a sandbox.

Several of you are going to hate me for this post but when you have a player such as myself that came from 8 years of Eve-Online with some of the best PvP I have ever seen and then come to this.... It's somewhat disappointing to say the least. I am not pointing the finger at you guys nor do I expect you guys to do anything about my rant. This is a good guild and I like everyone in it.

Something needs to be done though. I hear stories of more and more people quitting on a daily basis due to boredom once they hit BM and get geared out. I'm not sure what can be done. I am thinking that player controlled cities/planets should be implemented in the game. These planets/cities would cost credits to maintain as well as produce valuable/useful resources and these cities could also be taken by opposing factions. This would make PvP much more exciting and worth while instead of being a drone grinding away and doing WZ after WZ just to get the daily's/weekly's/champ/BM bags.

I know several of you are probably like "Am I serious" but with all the hype that was with this game. Less could have been done with the dialogue(which I space barred through) and more could have been done with the end game PvP. I know it's early and I am going to give this game 6 months. But something needs to change. If they implemented a 3rd faction. Outlaw/Mercenary faction maybe? Things would spice up as well as implement player controlled areas. This is what is needed to spice up world PvP. Ilum is just not cutting it and don't even get me started on outlaws den.

To those of you who this is your first MMO and do not have anything to compare it to and think it's the greatest thing ever. Then that is great. But for those that game from PvP heavy MMO's and play MMO's just for the PvP you probably know what I am talking about and we are probably on the same page. maybe the new WZ's will spice things up but that will only last for a little while. Something needs to be done here guys from BW's side of course.

Edited by Torothin

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Opinions are vast and far, but honestly, if you consider Eve Online to be the best PvP you lived a sheltered life. Furthermore, hearing stories is just that; stories. PvPers make of the vast minority of MMO gamers, despite their collective ideals. Furthermore, I doubt you played the 7 years that EVE has existed strictly as a PvPer. Since you had to start out heavily PvEing in that game. Edited by Silverspar

Your expectation for SWTOR were not in line with what the game was built for. Never has BW said that their game is PvP focused or, in any way, a sandbox-type game. You want SWTOR to be EvE in the Star Wars universe; sorry to break it to you, but it's never going to happen.

You picked the wrong game to play if you like EvE so much, it's just about as far away from EvE as you can get in the MMO spectrum.

Not trying to flame you, but clearly SWTOR is not the game for you. It's not PvP based, it will never be a sandbox, and the fact that you spaced through most of the dialoque proves that what you want from a MMO is not what BW is trying to provide with SWTOR.

Edited by Cruxe

"I hear stories of more and more people quitting on a daily basis due to boredom once they hit BM and get geared out"

Never even made it that far, warzone queues take hours to pop at 50, combined with the joke that is ilum and RNG bag's, Faction imbalance and class imbalance, and jedi knight being underwhelming, its Good Fight Bioware and Good night form me.

It's not being biased when you know PvP should be end game.

BW has never said that PvP was the end-game for SWTOR, nor did they ever expect it to be. If you want a PvP based end-game, you should look for another MMO.

It's not being biased when you know PvP should be end game.

Umm, yea that's biased. If you believe PvP should be end game then you are being biased. Especially considering the fact EVE has no end game. Not everyone shares your opinion and like it or not PvPers do not make up the vast majority of this market. This is a PvE game, anyone coming into TOR believing it would be a PvP game were deluding themselves.

Another space bar warrior bites the dust! Can I have your stuff!

Probably some kid that wouldn't roll Republic to get some decent PVP but whines when he only zergs in a 50-5 pack that PVP isn't fun.

Did you even read my post? I clearly stated that I am giving this game 6 months to get its endgame together.

Why do people always parrot this line with nothing to back it up? Minority? Perhaps. Vast minority? Just no.

Yea, I am a PvPer, but I stopped trying to pretend there was a huge plethora of casuals rushing to PvP long ago because I knew there wasn't. I know some PvPers out there like to make believe that there is some hidden underground movement of people that actually believe that PvP is just some thing they don't talk about like Fight Club or something, with just as horrid a story and acting, but the reality, I've learned, many PvPers just don't want to face. The average misanthrope doesn't even like socializing with their fellow man, hence MMOs becoming more and more single player friendly.

Now while MMOs support PvP, in that saying we have it is support I guess, PvP is not going to be the huge part of the game. And If you imply minority that means that would be closer to 50% of the player base willingly partakes in PvP regularly. But the PvP culture is a third, at best, and that's being generous, of the average MMO gaming experience.

I deal with excel at work, I don't want an MMO based on it. PvP in Eve is some of the funniest stuff I've ever witnessed.

I'd honestly list Hello Kitty Online! as slightly higher than Eve in terms of a pvp resume of any merit.

Did you even read my post? I clearly stated that I am giving this game 6 months to get its endgame together.

I read it all and 80% of it is garbage. A sandbox game is ---> what you make of it.

SWTOR is a decent sandbox game IF you make something of it.

This game's PVP is pretty good if you actually TRY ....newsflash for you, if you only zerg in packs of 20+ then yes it does get boring really quick when nobody shows up.

All I got from you was, I rolled empire and I'm not switching....just gonna sit here bored till I leave.

Well I hate to break it to you but....you won't be missed! Still gotta get more imps to leave to make it semi-balanced for more pvp!

I read it all and 80% of it is garbage. A sandbox game is ---> what you make of it.

SWTOR is a decent sandbox game IF you make something of it.

This game's PVP is pretty good if you actually TRY ....newsflash for you, if you only zerg in packs of 20+ then yes it does get boring really quick when nobody shows up.

All I got from you was, I rolled empire and I'm not switching....just gonna sit here bored till I leave.

Well I hate to break it to you but....you won't be missed! Still gotta get more imps to leave to make it semi-balanced for more pvp!

No, SWTOR is not and never will be a sandbox game. People trying to spout that line are just lying to themselves. There is nothing to make of in SWTOR. You have to constantly wait for the developers to give you the next shiny, where as the sandbox game you can make your next shiny or adventure whenever you choose.

The PvP is grind just like the PvE gear is the goal. Give me something that involves competition and competitive play. Something worth fighting for will do. I make some legit points in my post and it wasn't garbage. I'm not expecting this to be like Eve-Online but Eve-online had its PvP and End game done correctly. I used that as a reference.

You are clearly not playing the right game atm.

I would like to play that kind of PVP in swtor. It could be implemented, but it probably wont. I dont think its the kind of game they want it to be.

PVP is never the focus of MMOs ... and in my eyes its sad since its the only part of MMOs that if well done do not get old. Each MMOs i've played the PVE game is predictible, easy and has a low replay value. PVP is as good as the players you are facing. I could play 20 huttball in a row and hope for 20 different games. Its is not always so but players do learn... i am seeing more and more people taking advantage of the mechanics and matches are more and more enjoyable.

swtor is part of a misguided trend of 1vs1 pvp rolled around a team concept inherited from the shooter legacy. As long as they dont remove personal rewards, individualistic mechanics, we wont get your kind of PVP.

It does not mean the PVP is not fun... Its what define PVP to me. The fun part of the game ; ). If its not fun, you get the answer you are looking for ... this is not your game.

Why are there no games with your kind of PVP out there ? Why isnt Hollywood making good films ? The answer is in your chair... in the way we keep paying for what we dont really want because its what's available.

The PvP is grind just like the PvE gear is the goal. Give me something that involves competition and competitive play. Something worth fighting for will do. I make some legit points in my post and it wasn't garbage. I'm not expecting this to be like Eve-Online but Eve-online had its PvP and End game done correctly. I used that as a reference.

Again EVE Online does not have an endgame and the PvP is as boring as watching paint dry. EVE is one of those games you watch from afar with popcorn because of the spectacle and silliness that comes form it. But even EVE's areas of contestable are already falling apart as they had no real money sinks in the game and people are thus so over bloated with ISK there that even losing a capitol fleet these days isn't even something to sweat over.

Now while having objectives to fight over would be keen, this is a theme park MMO. There is going to be no resources, or moons or whatever to fight over. Just a map designed around points to control, at best, to win the day.

I used resources as an example. They could easily implement player control cities which give guild members +2(or more) to all stats per week the city is controlled. Resources was just a word. All I'm saying is that with what they spent on this game. More could have been done on the PvP side. you won't see it now but when you guys have done all the HM's, EV, and everything else just to do them all over again to get the gear. What then? Reroll a new character and start the process over again?

Something has got to give...

Umm, yea that's biased. If you believe PvP should be end game then you are being biased. Especially considering the fact EVE has no end game. Not everyone shares your opinion and like it or not PvPers do not make up the vast majority of this market. This is a PvE game, anyone coming into TOR believing it would be a PvP game were deluding themselves.

0.0 Fleet fights is endgame in Eve Territory control. The rest I agree with though to a degree this is not a PVP game but it doesn't mean there shouldn't be PVP endgame that is fun and expansive, there is a lot of PVP servers with a lot of people on them this game is not only funded by PVE alone.