New Thrawn book announced

Rebamcfan

Well, this makes me very excited, as a Star Wars and Timothy Zahn-fan, but especially as Grand Admiral Thrawn-fan. :) The cover looks absolute gorgeous, and the description is intriguing. https://www.starwars.com/news/get-a-first-look-at-timothy-zahns-thrawn-treason-exclusive

"Thrawn: Treason - coming summer 2019, set before the finale of Rebels. Thrawn's loyalty is tested as he will come across Orson Krennic, while Eli Vanto returns with dire warnings from Thrawn's homeworld."

https://imgur.com/JDutkpZ

More close up image of cover: https://imgur.com/kOifMmX

*Edit* Added a link to Star Wars.com's announcement post.

Edited by Rebamcfan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed the two Thrawn books we've gotten in the new cannon but I've had a hard time getting into the SW books since Disney bought it. I haven't got the love for the new characters that I had for the ones I got to know in the now Legends category.

I think I loved following the continuing adventures of Han, Luke and Leia, which got me into reading it, then I just stuck with it, but I don't think Disney want too much written about the main characters (or the state of the galaxy in general) because that limits what they can do in the movie and TV arenas. In particular I miss the X-Wing series and how Wedge developed in there. The brief appearances he's made in the Aftermath trilogy didn't do him justice, by which I mean he was too different from his Legends characterisation for me to get used to.

The book I enjoyed the most was Dark Disciple and that was one of the first to come out. Lost Stars was good too, even with the massive jumps in time. Usually I hate it when books jump back and forward in time (I'm looking at you Last Shot). It just feels lazy, like there's multiple stories going on when I only really care about one story that's going on.

I'll still be getting the third Thrawn book because I love Timothy Zahn (he was the first writer where I loved his SW books so much I got some of his other books, which are awesome too. Have a read of The Icarus Hunt and his Conqueror's Trilogy). I don't have the excitement about it that I had after reading Spectre of the Past, what with the excitement and physically needing to read Visions of the Future to find out how it all turned out.

In one hand, I'm excited. In the other hand, this book might break my heart if it

It deals with the possible Chiss civil war that was mentioned in the end of the last book.

...but then again, I do sometimes enjoy when fiction breaks my heart. So I guess I should just be excited.

But I'm secretly still worried. :(

Edited by Seireeni

In one hand, I'm excited. In the other hand, this book might break my heart if it

It deals with the possible Chiss civil war that was mentioned in the end of the last book.

...but then again, I do sometimes enjoy when fiction breaks my heart. So I guess I should just be excited.

But I'm secretly still worried. :(

I definitely agree with this, though I wonder if they're building for the Gryssk to be a more universal threat for the rest of Galaxy, like the Yuuzhan Vong in Legends. The Chiss going into civil war is not a new thing though, we know from Legends that the Ruling Families have always clashed amongst themselves, leaving into as few Families as three. But then, I don´t think any of them have had an outer influencer like now, who could very much turn things for worse.

I definitely agree with this, though I wonder if they're building for the Gryssk to be a more universal threat for the rest of Galaxy, like the Yuuzhan Vong in Legends. The Chiss going into civil war is not a new thing though, we know from Legends that the Ruling Families have always clashed amongst themselves, leaving into as few Families as three. But then, I don´t think any of them have had an outer influencer like now, who could very much turn things for worse.

I suppose they could be a more universal threat, though I doubt it would be to the extent of Yuuzhan Vong. That part of Legends was often criticized, I doubt they'd be looking to bring it back. I always assumed they'd take the place of the Vagaari as one of the threatening species in the Unknown Regions. But the Gryssk seem more bold and aggressive than the Vagaari did, so you could be right.

And it's different to know there has been civil wars, and to actually read about them. :p Especially due to the Gryssk influence. Even if the Ruling Families clash, they still have the Chiss' best interests at heart, so diplomacy should be an option at some point. But if one side is influenced by the Gryssk, who are NOT willing to negotiate and actually just want to conquer the Ascendancy... I don't know, I just feel it won't be easy to stop, not unless you stop it right on it's tracks.

Not to mention that the Gryssk very likely are taking steps to make sure Thrawn can't meddle with their infiltration plan. Just reading about that in Thrawn: Alliances made me feel somewhat horrified. :( Thrawn cares so much about his people. The idea that the Gryssk manage to get the Chiss start slaughtering each other in a civil war and he can't even get there to try to put an end to it...

Edited by Seireeni

I suppose they could be a more universal threat, though I doubt it would be to the extent of Yuuzhan Vong. That part of Legends was often criticized, I doubt they'd be looking to bring it back. I always assumed they'd take the place of the Vagaari as one of the threatening species in the Unknown Regions. But the Gryssk seem more bold and aggressive than the Vagaari did, so you could be right.

And it's different to know there has been civil wars, and to actually read about them. :p Especially due to the Gryssk influence. Even if the Ruling Families clash, they still have the Chiss' best interests at heart, so diplomacy should be an option at some point. But if one side is influenced by the Gryssk, who are NOT willing to negotiate and actually just want to conquer the Ascendancy... I don't know, I just feel it won't be easy to stop, not unless you stop it right on it's tracks.

Not to mention that the Gryssk very likely are taking steps to make sure Thrawn can't meddle with their infiltration plan. Just reading about that in Thrawn: Alliances made me feel somewhat horrified. :( Thrawn cares so much about his people. The idea that the Gryssk manage to get the Chiss start slaughtering each other in a civil war and he can't even get there to try to put an end to it...

Agreed with what you said, if the civil war within the Ascendancy happens, it would be interesting to read about it. I think Eli's POV might serve as a narrator for the events there, since we know we know that he returns to Thrawn's side to warn him about trouble in Ascendancy at some point, if the released summary serves as a pointer.

I wonder if Thrawn will get back to his people to help them. Maybe during the time lapse that he and Ezra spent in the Unknown Regions during the events of the Original trilogy, especially if they might team up? Hard to say, but I am eagerly awaiting for more answers.

Edited by Rebamcfan

Agreed with what you said, if the civil war within the Ascendancy happens, it would be interesting to read about it. I think Eli's POV might serve as a narrator for the events there, since we know we know that he returns to Thrawn's side to warn him about trouble in Ascendancy at some point, if the released summary serves as a pointer.

I wonder if Thrawn will get back to his people to help them. Maybe during the time lapse that he and Ezra spent in the Unknown Regions during the events of the Original trilogy, especially if they might team up? Hard to say, but I am eagerly awaiting for more answers.

I had already forgotten about the summary. :o Went ahead to re-read it, and I agree. I know Zahn doesn't like to write alien POWs unless there's a good reason to (and when he does, he commits to make sure the POW really does feel alien), and Eli is both conveniently placed and conveniently human. :rak_03:

I can't imagine Thrawn not doing everything in his power to help his people, though I also can't speculate when or how it could happen. I'm not well versed in Disneycanon apart from the Thrawn novels (managed to watch the Thrawn episodes of Star Wars Rebels season 3, but haven't been able to stomach season 4 just yet... I know you like the series, and it's fine, but I just can't get into it. The storytelling style doesn't leave enough room for nuanced characters imo).

Though it would be very much like Thrawn to fake a disappearance to help his people. I'm really looking forward to getting more info, too. :D

Edited by Seireeni

I cant see any hints about a Chiss Civil war in the first look of the third canon Thrawn book of Timothy Zahn.

Eli Vanto returns with a message from the Chiss Ascendancy to Thrawn reminding him that he cant be loyal to the Ascendancy and the Empire at the same time.

So I think Timothy Zahn will present us an interesting story of Thrawn who has to find a way to solve this problem of loyality.

But I cant see any hints of a chiss-civil war.

Also we have to differ between the canon-storyline (like the new books of Timothy Zahn regarding Thrawn and his presence in Star Wars Rebels) and the legend-storyline with the Yuuzhan vong or the twin-children of Han and Leia and other book- and background contents which are not part of the official Star Wars canon-lore.

There is still the possibility that some elements will be implemented in future (like Thrawn became canon with his appearance in Star Wars Rebels). But others - like the children of Leia and Han are lost for the lore after the movies Episode VII and VIII.

Edited by Mardonius

I cant see any hints about a Chiss Civil war in the first look of the third canon Thrawn book of Timothy Zahn.

Eli Vanto returns with a message from the Chiss Ascendancy to Thrawn reminding him that he cant be loyal to the Ascendancy and the Empire at the same time.

So I think Timothy Zahn will present us an interesting story of Thrawn who has to find a way to solve this problem of loyality.

Also we have to differ between the canon-storyline (like the new books of Timothy Zahn regarding Thrawn and his presence in Star Wars Rebels) and the legend-storyline with the Yuuzhan vong or the twin-children of Han and Leia and other book- and background contents which are not part of the official Star Wars canon-lore.

There is still the possibility that some elements will be implemented in future (like Thrawn became canon with his appearance in Star Wars Rebels). But others - like the children of Leia and Han are lost for the lore after the movies Episode VII and VIII.

The civil war is not hinted in the third book's summary, it's hinted in Thrawn: Alliances.

EDIT: Also, nothing is said about the kind of news Eli is delivering, only that they're dire. So they could be news about the civil war.

Edited by Seireeni

I had already forgotten about the summary. :o Went ahead to re-read it, and I agree. I know Zahn doesn't like to write alien POWs unless there's a good reason to (and when he does, he commits to make sure the POW really does feel alien), and Eli is both conveniently placed and conveniently human. :rak_03:

I can't imagine Thrawn not doing everything in his power to help his people, though I also can't speculate when or how it could happen. I'm not well versed in Disneycanon apart from the Thrawn novels (managed to watch the Thrawn episodes of Star Wars Rebels season 3, but haven't been able to stomach season 4 just yet... I know you like the series, and it's fine, but I just can't get into it. The storytelling style doesn't leave enough room for nuanced characters imo).

Though it would be very much like Thrawn to fake a disappearance to help his people. I'm really looking forward to getting more info, too. :D

It´s fine not to like it, its not everyone's cup of tea. I had my own issues with the Rebels at first, but as the series progressed it grew on me and really began to love the story of the members of the Ghost-crew. Especially when Thrawn made his appearance. :D I would definitely suggest on giving it a try one day to get it to end though, there are some absolutely fascinating things in season 4 that tie into the larger Star Wars-universe, particularly to Mortis-arc from TCW and to Death Star-project.

I'll be super excited to see where Thrawn's story will be heading, I'm giddy as a child in candy store while waiting for a new book about him. :p

Also, sorry for late response, been having hectic time with my service in FDF after the new recruits came few weeks back. :)

The second book of new Thrawn-trilogy hints of a possible between the Chiss, influenced by an outside party that is seemingly a great threat to them.

We are making a difference between the Canon and Legends as the stories and characters are very different in each one. But, it doesn´t mean that Legends couldn't influence the Canon and vice versa. Like we see with the Chiss and Thrawn for example: Zahn is incorporating numerous elements from Legends to Canon, but with some changes that add a whole new level of depth to them, making them ever-intriguing in my opinion.

It´s fine not to like it, its not everyone's cup of tea. I had my own issues with the Rebels at first, but as the series progressed it grew on me and really began to love the story of the members of the Ghost-crew. Especially when Thrawn made his appearance. :D I would definitely suggest on giving it a try one day to get it to end though, there are some absolutely fascinating things in season 4 that tie into the larger Star Wars-universe, particularly to Mortis-arc from TCW and to Death Star-project.

I'll be super excited to see where Thrawn's story will be heading, I'm giddy as a child in candy store while waiting for a new book about him. :p

Also, sorry for late response, been having hectic time with my service in FDF after the new recruits came few weeks back. :)

Don't worry about slow responses, I'm sure we all have a life outside the forums. :p Can't prioritize internet discussions over everything else!

I think I'm gonna try to watch season 4 (or at least the episodes that have Thrawn in it) before the next book actually gets released... or at least before I actually read it. Otherwise the book's gonna be filled with references to things I've never heard of, and I hate that. :D

I'm excited for Thrawn's story, but I'm also excited because I feel the next book has a chance to be a bit more...complex, I guess. Don't take me wrong, I did like the first 2 books quite a bit, but they didn't have many players with different agendas and plot threads that eventually come together, like i.e. original Thrawn trilogy, Hand of Thrawn duology and Outbound Flight had. I love the first book because it's a tale about how he got from nothing to a Grand Admiral in a society that didn't want aliens to advance like that...yet, I feel it was a pretty simple book of "there's a problem -> Thrawn solves it because he's brilliant -> Thrawn gets promoted". :p

The second book had a bit more plot elements to it, but since we didn't know who was involved until the very end, it didn't feel as satisfying. Now, we have a better picture on who's who and what everyone wants, everything's been set up in the previous books, so I'm hoping it will be more like...well, Outbound Flight. Because I really like Outbound Flight. :rak_03:

Edited by Seireeni

• 3 months later...

Don't worry about slow responses, I'm sure we all have a life outside the forums. :p Can't prioritize internet discussions over everything else!

I think I'm gonna try to watch season 4 (or at least the episodes that have Thrawn in it) before the next book actually gets released... or at least before I actually read it. Otherwise the book's gonna be filled with references to things I've never heard of, and I hate that. :D

I'm excited for Thrawn's story, but I'm also excited because I feel the next book has a chance to be a bit more...complex, I guess. Don't take me wrong, I did like the first 2 books quite a bit, but they didn't have many players with different agendas and plot threads that eventually come together, like i.e. original Thrawn trilogy, Hand of Thrawn duology and Outbound Flight had. I love the first book because it's a tale about how he got from nothing to a Grand Admiral in a society that didn't want aliens to advance like that...yet, I feel it was a pretty simple book of "there's a problem -> Thrawn solves it because he's brilliant -> Thrawn gets promoted". :p

The second book had a bit more plot elements to it, but since we didn't know who was involved until the very end, it didn't feel as satisfying. Now, we have a better picture on who's who and what everyone wants, everything's been set up in the previous books, so I'm hoping it will be more like...well, Outbound Flight. Because I really like Outbound Flight. :rak_03:

Sorry for bumbing this thread, but I really wanted to answer into this post finally :D

For Rebels season 4, I definitely suggest watching all of the episodes, especially the arc that involves the World Between Worlds (episodes 11-13), as it expands hugely upon Palpatine's motives and overall to the Force itself, partcicularly the Three.

I'm really liking this new Thrawn-trilogy, maybe even more than I like the original one.. Blasphemy I know, but they are most excellent writing. Plus I can't help that Thrawn: Alliances had a superior fanboy moment for me when Anakin, Padmé and Thrawn all teamed up together to fight against the Separatist. I was literaly squeling from happiness when that happened. :p

Outbound Flight is an amazing novel, though I'm still sad how it all comes crashing down due C'Baoth's arrogance and Sidious' plotting. :(

I enjoyed the two Thrawn books we've gotten in the new cannon but I've had a hard time getting into the SW books since Disney bought it. I haven't got the love for the new characters that I had for the ones I got to know in the now Legends category.

Yeah, I haven't been able to bring myself to read any of the new books for this reason. It's sad, because most of what made the EU great for me was in the books, and I still have a wall in my house that's just bookshelves packed full of EU books. As much as I love Timothy Zahn and I'm sure he's doing a good job storytelling in the new Star Wars landscape, his (and others') characters were so well-established and consistent across the whole EU timeline that it's impossible to shake that sense of who they were and look at them as new, blank-slate characters with the same names and personalities, but none of the history. Just doesn't feel quite right.