Snipers get phasewalk! And more! Why so quiet now, PVPers?

Lhancelot

Unfortunately, balancing like this is not a good system and basing balance on just one parameter and taking into account only PvE, on a linear chart... well, I don't even know where to start. Balancing like this was a bad idea from the start I can't believe they've stuck with it for this long.

This only makes sense if all you balance for is PvE. Just PvE.

For PvP, a class doing 5% more damage or 10% more, or 5% less or whatever is so arbitrary, it makes no difference AT ALL. Let's say a class does the exact same amount of damage on a chart, +5% from average, but one class has the DCDs to last 1.5 minutes longer than the first class. How much does that equal damage matter if one class gets another 1.5 minutes of uptime over the other one? That damage chart means NOTHING in PvP, less than nothing, it should not even be shown how much it does not matter.

And unfortunately, I have not seen any dev talent at SWTOR capable of taking into account more than one parameter when balancing. PvP balance is just a pipe dream. And that's the sad truth, there will NEVER be PvP balance -- because the whole idea of what balance is was wrong from the start. These are just not PvP devs.

Congratulations for this post. Very well spoken.

The people on this board don't seem to notice that they are complaining over the same things for years... ;)

Game is made for/around PVE... after years of playing it's hard not to realize this.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They notice, they just harbor fruitless hopes that bioware will stop ignoring them.

After 5.0 merc launch I lost faith in this games pvp. I accept it has no balance and that bioware isn't willing to listen to the playerbase to fix what they can

Unfortunately, balancing like this is not a good system and basing balance on just one parameter and taking into account only PvE, on a linear chart... well, I don't even know where to start. Balancing like this was a bad idea from the start I can't believe they've stuck with it for this long.

This only makes sense if all you balance for is PvE. Just PvE.

For PvP, a class doing 5% more damage or 10% more, or 5% less or whatever is so arbitrary, it makes no difference AT ALL. Let's say a class does the exact same amount of damage on a chart, +5% from average, but one class has the DCDs to last 1.5 minutes longer than the first class. How much does that equal damage matter if one class gets another 1.5 minutes of uptime over the other one? That damage chart means NOTHING in PvP, less than nothing, it should not even be shown how much it does not matter.

And unfortunately, I have not seen any dev talent at SWTOR capable of taking into account more than one parameter when balancing. PvP balance is just a pipe dream. And that's the sad truth, there will NEVER be PvP balance -- because the whole idea of what balance is was wrong from the start. These are just not PvP devs.

There's nothing wrong with raw dps classes having higher damage. They 100% should as all their specs are dps. The problem is they have been giving classes like snipers over the years too much utility and survivability. Raw DPS classes should be glass cannons. Snipers should be able to melt you, but they should also melt instantly when focused.