Curtain of fire proc and ammo regen

Aaoogaa

The change to ammo regen with full auto crits is underperforming. We cannot anticipate the curtain of fire proc and we actually NEED to get every one to maintain ammo.

The rotation should look like Grav, Grav (curtain of fire proc),full auto...what we are seeing is Grav, Grav(curtain of fire proc), Grav, fullauto. Since we cannot anticipate a curtain of fire proc we are already putting another grav round in the rotation. Nobody in their right mind is going to stop an ability that is already casting to then use full auto so we, because of how the proc is set up, are dropping out of high ammo regen much sooner than the old system.

Proposed changes

1. Reduce the internal cooldown on the ammo regen to 1.5 seconds. This will give full auto 2 chances to return ammo (like the old system 2 chances over 2 global cooldowns)

or

2. Have curtain of fire return 1 ammo in addition to the full auto reset on top of the ammo return from full auto chance every 3 seconds.

I prefer number 2 since it will be more consistent.

Neither encourages the over use of grav round.

You're nuts. The way skills synergize to result in ammo-efficiency in Gunnery is possibly my favorite thing about it.

The only time I run low on ammo is when I refuse to hammer-shot when I should because bursting down an enemy quicker is too important; I've found that even in tense fights with lots of burst I can usually alternate between reserve cell and recharge cells such that I rarely have to "cool down" with more than a single hammer-shot.

I will agree that not being able to anticipate CoF procs occasionally results in using it a GCD later than usual (and that it is annoying to see happen), but since there's a 6 second internal CoF cooldown anyway you're actually not really missing out on how many full-auto's you should average per encounter.

I will agree that not being able to anticipate CoF procs occasionally results in using it a GCD later than usual (and that it is annoying to see happen), but since there's a 6 second internal CoF cooldown anyway you're actually not really missing out on how many full-auto's you should average per encounter.

That one GCD can be the difference between being in the top tier of ammo regen or having to use hammer shot to stay there. Not because of player choice but because of mechanic design.

You should never have to use hammer shot as a Gunnery, especially in 1.2.

Check this out: Full Auto has a 15s cooldown, so after you use it the first time, the only way you can use it in the next 15s is to proc CoF. SO everytime you hit your grav round, hit full auto first. If full auto is available, it's because CoF procd. If not, you were gonna grav round anyway.

For example, I use a naga mouse and Full Auto is 6, Grav Round is 5. While Grav round is in its last second of activating, I press 6-5. I either use Full Auto, or there was no proc to use. Also, with the change to mortar volley's activation time, there is no reason not to use it on cooldown. I'm blasting it at least 10 times a warzone and getting better damage than I could from anything short of Grav Round-Demo Round-HIP, plus using a lot less ammo.

Also, things never to forget, use Tech Override with Medical Probe, use adrenaline rush, use your crit relic/adrenal before your Mortar Volley whenever possible, use your power relic/adrenal before Grav Round-Demo Round combo, and use CC whenever someone has their DR bubble up. You may be doing all of that, but a lot of commandos forget that, or get tunnel vision and dont think about it, and those things can really help you out.

I'm afraid that Hammer Shot is still a necessary evil for Gunnery. You don't need it for the most part, but even in PvE tank 'n spank fights you'll need it once in a while when you get unlucky with crits and ammo dips a bit.

In PvP you can often get away with only using Hammer Shot to finish off a nearly dead opponent or running yourself out of ammo on the assumption that you'll kill them faster and just use reload afterwards.

You should never have to use hammer shot as a Gunnery, especially in 1.2.

Check this out: Full Auto has a 15s cooldown, so after you use it the first time, the only way you can use it in the next 15s is to proc CoF. SO everytime you hit your grav round, hit full auto first. If full auto is available, it's because CoF procd. If not, you were gonna grav round anyway.

For example, I use a naga mouse and Full Auto is 6, Grav Round is 5. While Grav round is in its last second of activating, I press 6-5. I either use Full Auto, or there was no proc to use. Also, with the change to mortar volley's activation time, there is no reason not to use it on cooldown. I'm blasting it at least 10 times a warzone and getting better damage than I could from anything short of Grav Round-Demo Round-HIP, plus using a lot less ammo.

Also, things never to forget, use Tech Override with Medical Probe, use adrenaline rush, use your crit relic/adrenal before your Mortar Volley whenever possible, use your power relic/adrenal before Grav Round-Demo Round combo, and use CC whenever someone has their DR bubble up. You may be doing all of that, but a lot of commandos forget that, or get tunnel vision and dont think about it, and those things can really help you out.

I will implement your FA press after every GR although it seems silly to have to do that to make up for a poorly designed mechanic. The rest of the stuff is elementary. I am enjoying gunnery after coming from the current fail that is CM. I like ammo regen off FA but it is the one part of the skill tree that does not seem to have well thought out synergy.

I'd call it a "last resort" before necessary evil. I know it's easy to get tunnel vision and lose track of ammo (burst damage is so fun! Grav Round-Demo Round-HIP FTW!) but hopefully that only happens as often as recharge cells is off cooldown. I know I throw a lot of reserve powercell before a mortar volley because of tunnel vision. Either way, when you hit hammer shot, take that time to think about what you did wrong with ammo and try to improve. It should be a warning sign that you're limiting how much DPS you can do.

I always thought that it was strange that CoF didnt reduce the cost of Full Auto, either totally or by one or something. Just seemed like an odd design for an ability.

That being said I dont know why they didnt move some of the Grav round buffs off of Grav round. Charged barrel could of easily procced off of FA ticks.

CoF reducing the cost would be kinda broken tbh, but considering the upfront cost of Full Auto it'd sure be nice. Personally my feeling is that Full Auto, as it stands, is responsible for the current Ammo Regen woes being experienced. I'd also like to go through the logs and see if its even proccing cell charger, but that seems stupidly tedious.

Anyway, with a more responsive full auto, being used more often, and with its 25% resource cost, it's bound to have a negative effect on Ammo Regen. Hopefully we figure it out and get back to an optimal rotation soon that doesn't rely on hammer shot.

Full Auto is the only reason you won't run out of ammo as a commando. It's 2 ammo (same as GR and DR), but lasts 2 GCDs rather than one and hits 3 times rather than 2. That's both more chances at procs for cell charge and more time spent regenerating ammo.

CoF reducing the cost would be kinda broken tbh, but considering the upfront cost of Full Auto it'd sure be nice. Personally my feeling is that Full Auto, as it stands, is responsible for the current Ammo Regen woes being experienced. I'd also like to go through the logs and see if its even proccing cell charger, but that seems stupidly tedious.

/QUOTE]

Yes and no, a full reduction on cost would be broken, agreed. Reduction by 1 would be nice, and solve a bit of that regen issue. 2 ammo *May* be in the realm of OP but with the increase chance to proc CoF it maybe needed.

I would like to see more synergy tho with Full Auto, CoF and buffs that currently rely on Grav Round being spammed.

As I said, id be happy if Charged Barrels came off of Full Auto (from each tick rather than each FA cast) would still mean in 2x GA, 1 FA, 2 GA, 1 FA. Rotation (assuming CoF proc each time) you'd still have the same number of Charged Barrel stacks.

My feel simply is that BW have shown that they want us to use GA spam less (granted the reduction of GR damage didn't do that), shifting the procs and buffs around to other abilities that aren't Charged Burst! Would accomplish that.