"Launcher is being updated. Please wait"

RoosterV

Hey folks,

Before we get into the fix we strongly recommend that any users who are on XP or Vista upgrade their OS to Win 7 or newer if at all possible. This will allow you to play SWTOR going forward without any need for this fix. If you upgrade at a later date after using it, additional steps will likely be required to get SWTOR to run. This could even include a full re-install.

Note: Only use the below solution if you are receiving the "Certificate Authentication Failed" error on a Windows XP or Vista PC! Issues on any other OS or any other errors will not be addressed.

Here are the steps to take:

• Restart your computer! This is very important as it ensures that no versions of the launcher are currently running.
  • Download this utility: http://cdn-patch.swtor.com/patch/LauncherRepairUtilityP1.8.2_EOL_xpvista.exe
  • Run the launcher repair utility (note this utility will force your launcher to be on BitRaider, this is mandatory for the fix to work)
  • Once complete, start your launcher and you should now be able to login normally. (If you were on SSN and had to switch to BitRaider you should expect a lengthy verification period. This is normal!)

If this does not work, here are a few things to check:

• If the launcher will not run or you are still receiving the error. Restart your computer and then ensure the launcher is not running in task manager. Then follow the steps above to run the utility..
  • The launcher repair utility will attempt to remove a folder called "patch" from the SWTOR directory. The launcher may not run properly if this delete did not occur. You can try deleting this folder manually and then follow the steps above to run the utility.

This fix will allow your game to continue to run until October. It may run beyond that, but there are no guarantees.

This launcher issue has highlighted for us that going forward, we will be unable to support Windows XP and Vista for The Old Republic. Since Microsoft has discontinued support for both of those OS, we will need to follow suit since we cannot reliably fix any issues that could arise.

The fix above will allow you to continue to access SWTOR until October. Beyond that, should any other issues crop up for XP or Vista users we will be unable to provide any assistance.

Thank you for your patience as we worked through this!

-eric

Sound advice. Took a little too long to come forward with it I think.. but that is the nature of things sometimes in the real world.

The only fault on the studio here in my view is that the did not see this (inability to get MS support for XP and Vista legacy effects) coming sooner (as some other MMO studios did and in fact terminated support for XP and Vista some time ago). Then again, they do tend to take an approach of not forcing players into narrow brackets of use for PC hardware and OS unless it is absolutely necessary.

Fellow forum members: please note that they have now stated that they will NOT be able to support or resolve launcher issues moving forward if you are on XP or Vista. You have been warned, and this temporary fix will only last a couple months... so might as well bite the bullet and upgrade your OS to something that is still supported by Microsoft.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fellow forum members: please note that they have now stated that they will NOT be able to support or resolve launcher issues moving forward if you are on XP or Vista. You have been warned, and this temporary fix will only last a couple months... so might as well bite the bullet and upgrade your OS to something that is still supported by Microsoft.

Just to add to (or more correctly, emphasize) this, this is NOT a Bioware issue, it's because of Microsoft...NOT Bioware.

Edited by TUXs

To put it into perspective: That certificate is used for secure login (like https) - a third party is confirming that the SWTOR servers are what they claim to be and not some random hacker trying to get your login data. Once client and server trust each other, they encrypt the data sent across the internet to keep anyone else from listening in.

But how can we trust that third party who issued the certificate? Microsoft confirms with another certificate (which is part of Windows itself) that these people are legit.

And here's the problem: since Microsoft no longer updates Windows XP and Vista, there is no way to validate new security certificates when the old ones expire. (Unless you manually install a new root certificate to your Windows XP, but If you know how to do this, you don't have the problem, because you deinstalled Win XP the day MS stopped supporting it.)

There is nothing BW can do, all those other programs that log in to an online server will also soon stop working, unless they don't encrypt the data sent across the internet, in this case you can still use those services, but really shouldn't.

Edited by Mubrak

So since XP and Vista support is being dropped, now is the perfect time to also switch over to DX11/12 and a 64-bit client, since Windows 7 and up supports DX11 and 64-bit as is.

Adding a 64 bit client in addition to 32 bit is a good idea, but probably a big deal for them. DX11 in addition to DX9 sounds reasonable, but much better would be Vulkan in addition to DX9. DX12 is nonsense.

I mean, really guys? Windows XP? Make the switch to Win7 or Win10 already.

And if you are using Vista: lolz. Vista is the worst Windows version since Win ME. Even Win8 is better than Vista.

Aside from poor initial driver support and the somewhat odd implied assumption that the user would be using at least the high end of mid-range hardware, there really was very little to complain about Vista and there certainly isn't now.

While I don't really see the point in sticking to Vista over Windows 7, I would pick Vista over Windows 8 or 10 any day.

Adding a 64 bit client in addition to 32 bit is a good idea, but probably a big deal for them. DX11 in addition to DX9 sounds reasonable, but much better would be Vulkan in addition to DX9. DX12 is nonsense.

There are some benefits to DX12 (it fixes some issues related to having both an integrated GPU and a discreet one, which is useful for gaming laptops), but I understand what you mean. I mainly suggest DX11 instead of Vulkan because I imagine it would be easier for BW to switch to DX11, but Vulkan would be better, yes.

I don't see why it would be "in addition to" instead of replacing it outright, though. If they officially abandon support for Vista and older in October, then all officially supported OS's will be capable of 64 bit and DX11, so maintaining older backends would just be extra work for Bioware.

I don't see why it would be "in addition to" instead of replacing it outright, though. If they officially abandon support for Vista and older in October, then all officially supported OS's will be capable of 64 bit and DX11, so maintaining older backends would just be extra work for Bioware.

Completely dropping DX9 could impact non-supported OS's. I know, "not supported, so why would I care", but even if officially they don't care, it's money they don't get. STO dropped DX9 in March, my card still doesn't support DX11 through Wine = STO doesn't get my monies.

If losing subs is financially preferable to supporting both, then I'd understand that. But dropping for the sake of dropping wouldn't be a smart idea. The more computers can play the game, the more possible people subbing.

I don't see why it would be "in addition to" instead of replacing it outright, though.

Well, I couldn't play, for one thing. Dropping support for stuff that many customers may need will absolutely have a cost in player goodwill, and a small but real cost in playerbase.

Just to add to (or more correctly, emphasize) this, this is NOT a Bioware issue, it's because of Microsoft...NOT Bioware.

It's not even really a Microsoft issue, it's a user issue at it's heart. I mean it's been 3 years since the system was completely discontinued now and these same people who stick with these systems are often the same people guilty of unknowingly help propagate bot nets and viruses that use systems exploits to spread.

I really have no pity at all for anyone still running these obsolete systems and who then run into issues as a result.

It's a pity for the diehard XP and Vista users., but there's nothing that Bioware can do about it, so it's time to move on to a new OS for the people that still use older ones.

DX12 is nonsense.
No, it isn't. Especially for CPU intensive games like MMORPGs, Vulkan as well as DirectX 12 - if implemented properly (which certainly isn't easy!) - can lead to large performance improvements together with a native 64 bit client. So it isn't nonsense. Thus I'd like to see at least one of the two implemented as an option to supplement the current DirectX 9 render path. With Vulkan, you could even think about implementing a native Linux Client as an option going forward.

Then again, more video cards may support DX12 than Vulkan (Nvidia Fermi-based cards now have driver support for DX12 while they still have no Vulkan support and it isn't likely to be added anytime soon, for example).

Edited by Glzmo

So, the next big question is... where can I find a Vista 64 to Win 7 upgrade? Can't find one on newegg, Amazon, or any other reputable site. Very leary of places like Ebay where you can't really be sure what you'll get.

Any ideas out there?

If you hunt around you may find a full Windows 7 disk and license out there (NewEgg, Tiger Direct, CDW, etc. might have one) but I wouldn't count on it. Windows 7 is no longer sold and it's end of support date has been announced. Vista Extended support ended April 11, 2017. Windows 7 ends January 14, 2020. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet .

FWIW, I prefer Windows 7, but Windows 10 isn't bad. Windows 8 is terrible, so skip that one.

So, the next big question is... where can I find a Vista 64 to Win 7 upgrade? Can't find one on newegg, Amazon, or any other reputable site. Very leary of places like Ebay where you can't really be sure what you'll get.

Any ideas out there?

In the long run, getting Win10 is better. I would suggest https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/ pretty good prices and solid verified sellers.

If you are worried about the supposed spying, it has never really been proven to "phone home" during any regular usage for extended periods of time. Assuming you do not use Cortana, handwriting recognition and and other such stuff that the system explicitly says it needs to "phone home" about, your privacy is as safe as it is on XP/Vista.

FWIW, I prefer Windows 7, but Windows 10 isn't bad. Windows 8 is terrible, so skip that one.

In the long run, getting Win10 is better. .

In my experience, if he has older hardware, I think he should go with Win7. But if he has newer hardware, or plans to upgrade, I agree that Win10 is the better investment.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

No, it isn't. Especially for CPU intensive games like MMORPGs, Vulkan as well as DirectX 12 - if implemented properly (which certainly isn't easy!) - can lead to large performance improvements together with a native 64 bit client. So it isn't nonsense.

It's nonsense compared to Vulkan. If they are going to go through the hassle of supporting a new thing, it should be the good new thing, not the knockoff-rushed-to-market-proprietary-control new thing.

Thus I'd like to see at least one of the two implemented as an option to supplement the current DirectX 9 render path.

I mean, if it is on the table to add another, without axing DX9 support, I'd obviously be perfectly happy with that. But this thread already has people asking for the devs to convert the game to something else and then cut support for older stuff completely.

With Vulkan, you could even think about implementing a native Linux Client as an option going forward.

Even I'm not naive enough to ask for that. My "no Tux, no bucks" counts "runs in Wine" as "close enough, will play", and I'm ok with that for now. I was shocked at the Linux and Mac players that showed up when that was broken for like a day, however- I had no idea there were so many of us. A native Linux client would be totally aces, but I doubt any serious change in platforms is planned for honestly the remainder of SWTOR's life.

(Nvidia Fermi-based cards now have driver support for DX12 while they still have no Vulkan support and it isn't likely to be added anytime soon, for example).

I think the reason those don't is because there aren't as many of them running, based on their age? I don't think you'd choose one or the other based on that, though. As long as you weren't axing DX9, which would be a pretty crazy move.

If you are worried about the supposed spying, it has never really been proven to "phone home" during any regular usage for extended periods of time.

That's wrong, yes it has. Here's a reasonably pro-Microsoft take:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-and-telemetry-time-for-a-simple-network-analysis/

That basically assures you that your telemetry will not eat up your data plan. But that's not what you care about if you are complaining about telemetry, you care about what data about you it is leaking.

Assuming you do not use Cortana, handwriting recognition and and other such stuff that the system explicitly says it needs to "phone home" about, your privacy is as safe as it is on XP/Vista.

This is at best misleading. Many have reported seeing packets reliably when launching programs, like notepad.exe. At best, this is envelope information about when you are on your computer, and what you do when you are on at what times. At worst it is creepier and deeper. You give them ludicrous permissions when you sign that EULA.

The bigger issue is that actually changing your machine enough such that it doesn't telemetry the heck out of you requires you to disable Cortana, handwriting recognition, anything about predictive text, anything about one drive, and many, many other services which are on by default, and the settings are all over the place. Most people who believe they have tamped down the spying are shocked if they wireshark their box, but most just run some random script and believe themselves to be private.

This is pretty damned off topic for this thread, but so is your "hey guys, telemetry is fine" post. I don't think it's fine at all, for one.

i pretty sure what your "smart" phone is tracking and doing is way worse then what MS is doing, only your "smart" phone and carries dont really advertise this.

If you have and using "smart" phone you can't complaing about what MS doing cause what is happen with the "smart" phones is far worse.

And for your info win7/8 collect the same thing thing Win 10 does it just wasnt really made much thing till MS said they "collecting" this and that with win 10, XP did it to but to much lesser extent.

The security risk of XP/Vista only is why you should be on it. less they are not connected to internet

Edited by Kyuuu

i pretty sure what your "smart" phone is tracking and doing is way worse then what MS is doing, only your "smart" phone and carries dont really advertise this.

This remains off topic, but if this discussion is going to live here, I'll say my piece.

Just because phones suck (and they don't all: you can root your Android and eliminate telemetry very aggressively, and an Apple is nowhere near as intrusive as a stock Android, though not as good as an aggressively pruned one) is not an excuse for desktops to suck. There's no open phone: there's no safe and open source phone. Once it exists, you'll absolutely see people run to it to escape the spying. You already see people running special versions of Android, or explicitly going to Apple for their vastly less intrusive telemetry. Additionally, if your phone is untrustworthy, that's a BIG argument to be even harsher about demanding privacy in your computer OS: once that is snooping on you too, you have nowhere else to run.

It's like saying "well, your boss can watch what you do at work, so clearly your boss should be able to watch what you do at home". It's backwards logic.

And for your info win7/8 collect the same thing thing Win 10 does

Absolutely false. While they DID backport some telemetry to 7 and 8, (a) you can turn it off, unlike in 10, (b) it's not present unless you actually update to those KBs, and © even if you install all the patches it doesn't carry anywhere near 10s information.

The security risk of XP/Vista only is why you should be on it. less they are not connected to internet

While you can lock down an XP or Vista system, you are obviously much better off on a Windows 7 system or higher, as regards intrusions and vulnerabilities. However, many of the complaints related to XP were actually complaints because of OS X or Linux, which tend to mimic older Windows versions much better than newer ones. Linux doesn't have any of these ludicrous problems, and OS X has few or none.

Just because phones suck (and they don't all: you can root your Android and eliminate telemetry very aggressively, and an Apple is nowhere near as intrusive as a stock Android, though not as good as an aggressively pruned one) is not an excuse for desktops to suck. There's no open phone: there's no safe and open source phone. Once it exists, you'll absolutely see people run to it to escape the spying. You already see people running special versions of Android, or explicitly going to Apple for their vastly less intrusive telemetry. Additionally, if your phone is untrustworthy, that's a BIG argument to be even harsher about demanding privacy in your computer OS: once that is snooping on you too, you have nowhere else to run.

cute you think rooting your phone and eliminating the "telemetry" means you arnt geting track? Every piece data going in and out of smart phones calls/text/emials you name its track and intercepted and monitored from quite few agency cia is one them. forget about the fact that "smart" is a personal gps that no ammount of rooting and removing of "telemetry" will stop, so long there micro chip in and a battery they can track your location. you think all that stuff people send to there "cloud" is save too?

all this "telemetry " we have is the price pay for all this constantly online, and smart phones we have. no mater what you do you will be track if your online and if all that info is going threw satellites and it all does, if your that worry about it and you need to get off interent and stop using anything thats digital or has micro chips in it.

Majorty people wont do this but will complain about it, even though it can be stoped, is wrong maybe depend what used for, can it be stopped? NO it can't.

BTW there was data farmed from XP and Vista/Win7 long before they back ported MORE stuff from WIN 10 all this really wasn't public knowledge till MS announced it with Win 10, which when people went crazy and started dig.

Privacy is illusion in the digital age of everything connected to web. why you think every thing these days is connected? you think it was done for the "convenience" of the public only?

Edited by Kyuuu

If anyone needs to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, it's still possible

to do so for free directly from the Microsoft website:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade?tduid=(14c348e893a91089cb2980533c6ee123)(256380)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-0FBZfNm6YPFXNhiu3o52rA)()

You're welcome, enjoy the money saved y'all

:cool:

Edited by RowdyGowdy