Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Jimcorpus
06.14.2020 , 01:45 PM | #6301
Bandito. Smuggler Gunslinger. Only spoiler is vague mention of companions.

Spoiler

alaurin
06.19.2020 , 01:42 PM | #6302
@Jimcorpus: I definitely have to agree with your Smuggler......that is one really diverse crew!

Happy Friday everyone......you know what that means! Yup, time for a new prompt!!

Week of June 19, 2020:

Like a Child--No Inhibitions: We had the prompt Like No One’s Watching for your character indulging in some activity they liked but were embarrassed to engage in. This time, let them shed those inhibitions. Children do the things they love and don’t care who knows about it. Be it singing on the bus, wearing colors or patterns that “adults know” don’t match, eating the whole slice of cake because it tastes great, or making stories in their favorite make-believe world. This week, write a story where your character is going to have fun regardless of other’s opinions, or a time when they remembered being so free.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, share it anyway!

*This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

This week’s featured previous prompts are:

Something Borrowed--writers find inspiration everywhere, sometimes in other people’s fic. Not necessarily characters, though we had a prompt for that, too. Sometimes it’s a scene, or a description, a side character, or a setting. The name of a bureau, what the hyperspace vortex looks like, a slogan, or something else! The original TOR thread has been host to a number of collaborations recently, so let’s make it official. Write your story and be sure to note what you borrowed and from whom. Add a link to your inspiration if you can.

Breaking the Fourth Wall: These are a lot more meta than we usually explore; roll with them and have fun.

• Addressing the Audience: Characters aren’t supposed to acknowledge their audience. Suppose they did? How would they speak to all those who’ve been reading and enjoying their adventures? What might they say to the complainers?

• Addressing the Creator: If your character could say something about their writer, what would it be? Would they complain about something? Take the opportunity to give you a piece of their minds? Maybe ask for a favor? Or would they be grateful and thank you?

alaurin
06.23.2020 , 09:16 AM | #6303
Up until a few weeks ago, I'd been out of game for quite a while. I started to miss it though and my muse was showing signs of returning so I started some new characters to run through the old content to refresh my memory. A couple new legacies were born as a result and one of them inspired a story that's been taking up my thoughts for the past week....part of which I decided to share here. Hope any of you still reading these stories can forgive me for adding more characters and hopefully you all enjoy these boys.

Title: Sounds Like a Plan
Prompt: Friends, Flashbacks
Characters: Mikkyal O’Rourke-Trooper, Drexyn Dalov-Smuggler
Setting: Ord Mantell, Lothal
Spoilers: Smuggler and Trooper Ord Mantell

Spoiler

Author's Note: (Trooper Ord Spoiler)
Spoiler

Jimcorpus
06.23.2020 , 07:00 PM | #6304
Quote: Originally Posted by alaurin View Post
@Jimcorpus: I definitely have to agree with your Smuggler......that is one really diverse crew!

Happy Friday everyone......you know what that means! Yup, time for a new prompt!!

Week of June 19, 2020:

Like a Child--No Inhibitions: We had the prompt Like No One’s Watching for your character indulging in some activity they liked but were embarrassed to engage in. This time, let them shed those inhibitions. Children do the things they love and don’t care who knows about it. Be it singing on the bus, wearing colors or patterns that “adults know” don’t match, eating the whole slice of cake because it tastes great, or making stories in their favorite make-believe world. This week, write a story where your character is going to have fun regardless of other’s opinions, or a time when they remembered being so free.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, share it anyway!

*This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

Something Borrowed--writers find inspiration everywhere, sometimes in other people’s fic. Not necessarily characters, though we had a prompt for that, too. Sometimes it’s a scene, or a description, a side character, or a setting. The name of a bureau, what the hyperspace vortex looks like, a slogan, or something else! The original TOR thread has been host to a number of collaborations recently, so let’s make it official. Write your story and be sure to note what you borrowed and from whom. Add a link to your inspiration if you can.

Breaking the Fourth Wall: These are a lot more meta than we usually explore; roll with them and have fun.

• Addressing the Audience: Characters aren’t supposed to acknowledge their audience. Suppose they did? How would they speak to all those who’ve been reading and enjoying their adventures? What might they say to the complainers?

• Addressing the Creator: If your character could say something about their writer, what would it be? Would they complain about something? Take the opportunity to give you a piece of their minds? Maybe ask for a favor? Or would they be grateful and thank you?
Jumping in the Puddle

The Iridonian was having the most fun she had in a week. Another batch of rain caused a puddle near some merchants. She did a little run then would jump into the puddle. Years ago as a child she would jump in puddles, one of the few enjoyments she could have as a slave. Now she could enjoy it without anyone bothering her. She still wore a provacative slave outfit, mocking the Sith society that a slave became one of the Dark Council members. She jumped up and came back into the puddle, laughing from the fun she was having. A light rain fell on her face, covered with red and black tattoos in the style of the Iridonians. She was enjoying herself, certainly more fun than a boring meeting. In fact she was having as much fun as shooting lightning at someone.

Shaking his head slowly from side to side not far from the puddle was standing a Dashade. He looked with total bewilderment and stunned. He was once a servant of Tulak Hord,, and never had to stand by and watch such silly behavior. Now he is the servant of this misfit who somehow had an incredible control of the darkside of the force. To challenge her was such a foolish endeaver, with him over the past years seeing his current master destroy so many opponents. Yet once again she does something that totally dismays him.

The Sith Lord jumped one last time and caused such a big splash. She walked towards the Dashade killer and stated "I'm done." She started walking to the building their home was, at the top of a building near the town square of Dromund Kaas.

"A bug is on your arm" the Dashade stated.

A quick thin bolt of lightning arched from her right hand and disintegrated the insect resting on her left arm, not affecting her at all. "Quiet" she replied back to her Dashade slave and entertaining historian.

alaurin
06.26.2020 , 02:04 PM | #6305
Happy Friday!! Time for the new prompt to celebrate! I also wanted to let you all know that the Story Index and Prompt Archive are up to date.

Week of June 26, 2020:

Finders Keepers: Losers weepers! When has your character found something of value that was obviously not theirs? Did they keep it or make an effort to find the rightful owner? Maybe they only borrowed it for a time and returned it to where they found it (mostly) good as new. Are they ashamed of their actions or not at all worried; after all, losers weepers? Perhaps, in your character’s culture, it’s appropriate to keep a found item to help their own family or situation. If it was valuable to the original owner, they would have taken better care of it. What happens when the loser searches for their item and finds your character with it?

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, share it anyway!!

Fish Out of Water: No one fits in everywhere. Even a well-travelled character, or one accustomed to shifting identities, can feel out of place. So how about yours? When has your character been in a truly alien, uncomfortable situation? Why were they so far out of their comfort zone? Did they wander into the wrong neighborhood? Did they miss important social cues or misinterpret what they saw? Write about a time when your character was the fish out of water.

Dialect and Accent: Everyone has one whether you're aware of it or not. Your words and how you say them reveal a lot about where you were born, where you grew up, what you like to read, or where and how you learned another language. What do your character's word choices tell about them? Does it mark them as ruling class, streetwise, coreward, rimward, immigrant, outsider, insider, or something else? Do they try to hide their unique pronunciation or revel in it? A source of shame or pride? Are they right and everyone else talks funny? Explore it!

Jimcorpus
07.01.2020 , 09:18 PM | #6306
Up until a few weeks ago, I'd been out of game for quite a while. I started to miss it though and my muse was showing signs of returning so I started some new characters to run through the old content to refresh my memory. A couple new legacies were born as a result and one of them inspired a story that's been taking up my thoughts for the past week....part of which I decided to share here. Hope any of you still reading these stories can forgive me for adding more characters and hopefully you all enjoy these boys.

Title: Sounds Like a Plan
Prompt: Friends, Flashbacks
Characters: Mikkyal O’Rourke-Trooper, Drexyn Dalov-Smuggler
Setting: Ord Mantell, Lothal
Spoilers: Smuggler and Trooper Ord Mantell

Spoiler

Author's Note: (Trooper Ord Spoiler)
Spoiler
Nice story, especially mixing the trooper with the smuggler at Ord Mantell. Don't end this too quick. It would be interesting if the villain works alone, connected with Sith Empire, or Hutt Cartel, or Exchange. Also if ends surrenders, escapes, heroes kill him, accident falling in the lava, "accident" falling in the lava.

Jimcorpus
07.02.2020 , 07:44 PM | #6307
Happy Friday!! Time for the new prompt to celebrate! I also wanted to let you all know that the Story Index and Prompt Archive are up to date.

Week of June 26, 2020:

Finders Keepers: Losers weepers! When has your character found something of value that was obviously not theirs? Did they keep it or make an effort to find the rightful owner? Maybe they only borrowed it for a time and returned it to where they found it (mostly) good as new. Are they ashamed of their actions or not at all worried; after all, losers weepers? Perhaps, in your character’s culture, it’s appropriate to keep a found item to help their own family or situation. If it was valuable to the original owner, they would have taken better care of it. What happens when the loser searches for their item and finds your character with it?

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, share it anyway!!

Fish Out of Water: No one fits in everywhere. Even a well-travelled character, or one accustomed to shifting identities, can feel out of place. So how about yours? When has your character been in a truly alien, uncomfortable situation? Why were they so far out of their comfort zone? Did they wander into the wrong neighborhood? Did they miss important social cues or misinterpret what they saw? Write about a time when your character was the fish out of water.

Dialect and Accent: Everyone has one whether you're aware of it or not. Your words and how you say them reveal a lot about where you were born, where you grew up, what you like to read, or where and how you learned another language. What do your character's word choices tell about them? Does it mark them as ruling class, streetwise, coreward, rimward, immigrant, outsider, insider, or something else? Do they try to hide their unique pronunciation or revel in it? A source of shame or pride? Are they right and everyone else talks funny? Explore it!
FINDERS KEEPERS

The young sith, once a slave, now a servant of Darth Zash, walked in the tall and deep tomb of the Sith Lord Naga Sadow. She walks on a path, making sure she doesn't come near the edge of the chasm that looked very deep. Dressed in her simple gray slave clothes, she walked to a flat area. Now able to see a path, on a thin rock that goes into the center of the area of the chasm, she noticed a glass cylinder with something in it. She walked cautiously on the path towards the cylinder. As she got close, she saw with electrical bursts around it a quite tall and nasty looking creature. Pale skin with sores on its body, the monster appeared in hibernation. She found a control to the right of what appeared a door.

"Not exactly a prospect for a boyfriend. I wonder if it knows more secrets about this place." She thought about the monster might attack her if she opens the door, but then why would it do that since she is so charming? She pushed a button then backed up, making sure she avoided the pile of Shyrack dung on the path.

The electrical bursts stopped, and the monster fell to the floor of the cylinder. As it stood up it said as it opened its eyelids to show yellow eyes "I await your command Master Tulak Hord."

"Ahh, your a little off there. Tulak Hord is, like, dead."
"What! You insignificant bug!"
"Dead. You know, like not breathing, rots in a grave, stuff gets stolen, spirit stalking in a crypt instead of enjoying itself on the beach. Been dead for like 2000 years."
"I shall kill you and devour your soul!"

The monster came at the young sith, She waited until it near the dung then suddenly horrific purple lightning came pouring from her fingertips. The monster could withstand with difficulty the lightning, but it lost its footing from the dung and fell. Another burst of lightning from the Sith and the monster slipped to the side, falling over but able to grab hold on the side to prevent falling deep into the chasm.

"When you get down there, can you check if there is some nice jewelry? I need a necklace" the Sith said in a mocking way to the monster.

"You are a treacherous one, little Sith. Help me and I will be your servant."

"Really?" She held a finger to her chin. "How much vacation time do you need?" she said in a satirical way.
"Ugh. I remit."
"Swear to the soul of your Tulak Hord you will be my faithful servant."
"What!" The monster yelled.
"It's a little dark down there. Think you need a flashlight?" she said in her charming mocking way.
"Very well. I swear to the soul of the great Tulak Hord that I will be your faithful servant."

While he was giving his oath, the young sith was walking to the door of the cylinder. She brought out a rope and tied it to the handle of the door, then walked calmly to the monster and tossed the other end to it. She could have extended a hand, but she didn't want it to pull her into the chasm. The monster grabbed onto the rope with one then two hands, then pulled itself onto the path.

"This shall be miserable" the monster said in a dejected way.

The young sith smiled at what she found. Finders Keepers. Her own servant.

"Ahh. Do you need some tissue? Quit whining. Your alive. You won't be stuck in a cave. Besides, murder and mayhem await."