Resource drops. Need or greed?

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. I've heard this argument before "I'm passing on a lot of stuff, it's okay to roll for my companion everyonce in a while".

Other people always come before your companions. It goes both ways of course. You come before my companions aswell. It's always "greed" roll for companions, never "need". Unless, like one poster above me stated, if you ask in group beforehand. I always say "sure, take it", if no one really needs it for themselves.

Companions don't need top tier gear for anything, blue and purple 66 mods are very cheap now, and that's more than enough for doing any solo content.

K well, looking back, I probably should have been clearer about my response. I greed on EVERYTHING. I buy gear form the GTN for ALL my companions and I don't mod ANY of them, so if I Need on something for a companion, it is a green/blue item that I can't get at the moment from the GTN. But if I go through almost a whole flashpoint, and need on a green/blue item because it is something I can use, I don't expect to get grief over it. I have gone though whole FP's with people needing on everything even if it wasn't for their class or even a companion of their current class. Even on Boss drops I let everyone else roll. So, if I want to roll once on a green/blue item, I should be able to do that without people thinking I'm being impolite.

I buy gear form the GTN for ALL my companions and I don't mod ANY of them, so if I Need on something for a companion, it is a green/blue item that I can't get at the moment from the GTN. But if I go through almost a whole flashpoint, and need on a green/blue item because it is something I can use, I don't expect to get grief over it.

I would suggest asking if you can roll need first, even if it is just a green or blue item. You may be able to use it for your companion, which means it is likely that other people in the group who are following the standard loot etiquette could use it for their companions as well. Discuss it first to give everyone the same opportunity.

Hello All

I know one thing. I'm getting sick of going through an OPS or FP or group with people and greeding or passing on everything and when I finally run across something I really want, I Need and win the roll and invariably someone says "Why did you need on that?" and getting an attitude because I Needed on something that maybe my Toon couldn't use but one of my companions really could. I could understand if I was an idiot and Needing everything whether I could use it or not but people really do get ridiculous. I'm not like that and yet, when I do need on one little things, if it doesn't exactly fit the class of the toon I'm playing I get crap for it. I mean come on people. You have to pick your battles. Pick on the person who Needs for everything, not someone like me who actually pays attention. I shouldn't have to explain to someone why I "Needed" something. I don't ask others this question. Its none of my business. Thanks :-)

Sorry, that's wrong. Let me give you a hypothetical. We're running a FP together, you on your Operative, me on my Marauder. You've been passing on everything instead of greeding (that's your prerogative, whatever). Suddenly, some medium armor drops that has STR on it, and it's an upgrade for me! But I lose out to you, who needed on it with the logic "I passed on everything else!"

Wrong. Actual players who are in the FP or OP ALWAYS come before your companions or alts. Ask first. I might say yes, in which case you get the item and we're still friends. I might say no, in which case I, the player running the FP, gets a sweet upgrade and we're still friends.

K well, looking back, I probably should have been clearer about my response. I greed on EVERYTHING. I buy gear form the GTN for ALL my companions and I don't mod ANY of them, so if I Need on something for a companion, it is a green/blue item that I can't get at the moment from the GTN. But if I go through almost a whole flashpoint, and need on a green/blue item because it is something I can use, I don't expect to get grief over it. I have gone though whole FP's with people needing on everything even if it wasn't for their class or even a companion of their current class. Even on Boss drops I let everyone else roll. So, if I want to roll once on a green/blue item, I should be able to do that without people thinking I'm being impolite.

If you are running FPs and people are getting upset about green/blue gear then there are bigger problems. Modable gear is so easy to get now and mods are so easy to get with Planetary comms that worrying about any green/blue drop makes no sense. And yes I do include the modable blue 66 gear that can be had for about the cost of vendoring it from the GTN.