A month till Onslaught, and still no specific release date?

AlCiao

Many of us have said the PTS testing phase has been dragged out because they aren’t getting the changes up fast enough. They really need another month at this point to get things tested properly and not rush it or there are going to be more bugs and class balance issues than ever before.

There are some major changes to how gear bonuses and these new tacticals will work. Also any new systems or changes always seem to break 3 other unintended things when they add them.

It would be better for the game to not rush or use crunch time to release in September. Players testing on the PTS aren’t going to use the Bioware famous “crunch time” to give feed back and test. All of these changes to be tested should have been ready to go back in May if they expected a September release,

I would suggest they announce a delay sooner than closer to the actual date they have in mind. Even if they need to push it a month or even into early November. I think players would ultimately prefer that over something rushed and possibly unplayable or game breaking.

There hasn't been an announcement, and I agree with Trixxie here. Its likely the PTS is to "blame" since they have to test the new Spoils of War system. But I will take a delayed expansion if it means we'll be able to have a better system at launch.

There hasn't been an announcement, and I agree with Trixxie here. Its likely the PTS is to "blame" since they have to test the new Spoils of War system. But I will take a delayed expansion if it means we'll be able to have a better system at launch.

Spoils to War is there big project for this expansion, they really want and need it to be "good". An Operation and FP will only keep peoples interest for a month tops but the new gearing grind will keep people playing for months.

PTS usually closes for good two weeks before the new update. To still release in September, that would mean PTS would have to be finished by September 10, which is still 4.5 weeks away. That’s time for at least two if not three refreshes. I don’t expect any story content to be testable, but I thought they would be testing the operation. However, I still don’t think it’s going to release in September. My prediction is October 1st, which leaves them 5.5 more weeks for testing publicly. There’s no promotion or other “subscribe by such-and-such and get this-and-this” so unlike paid expansions there’s no obligation to get it out by a specific date. I would prefer waiting a week or two to have a cleaner release, but that’s just me.

Since this comes up by some posters after every delayed patch/release--don't take a week's vacation off in hopes of any release date actually being on time and then come here complaining that Bioware ruined your vacation when it's inevitably delayed.

I know it's also hard for people who like to spam spacebar every single cutscene and get everything in the expansion finished in one single day from the moment it releases and then complain the next day that there's nothing to do and Bioware failed in releasing enough new content.

Or have I just missed the announcement of it?

In a sense, this could be a good sign, that they don't want to commit to a date until they're sure everything's panned out, such as with their PTS rounds.

They said September but didn't specify when in September, so if they go for the last week they still have 6-7 weeks of testing. I'm guessing launch will be delayed until early-mid October if they plan to act on any of the PTS feedback so far. Plus as others pointed out, the Spoils of Wars system still needs testing (that's if they intend to test it).

Edited by Sarova

Unfortunately there is a lot to test. and right now the set bonuses are not very good at all and the tactical s are not great at all. . They are no where near ready to release on the intended date. we dont know how the amplifiers are going to play into anything and that needs a lot of testing that i can speculate as well. also the few classes they have up on the test server , whether mains of those classes want to admit it or not, have such a damage power gap that it is worse than it is now, (sorc cough weak cough), . there was a lot that was not thought out when it comes to expanding play styles at all. lots of feed back on the forums but i DOUBT the devs take much into consideration, unless of course your a "influence". (laugh). most influencers have no clue what there talking about.

On release it'll likely be:

• Late
  • Buggy
  • Break something else
  • Need to be patched
  • Needlessly painful for a section of the playerbase.
  • Unlikely to ever get fixed.

You may choose any 5 out of the 6 above options. :)

Don’t forget laggy to move and lag delay on ability activation

i wish they never gave us a month honestly. i really want them to test and refine and get feedback this time and i dont think they have enough time...

i would be okay with Feb...

Nah, mid November would be ok, February would be another death nail for this game.

It gives them an extra 5-6 weeks.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Many of us have said the PTS testing phase has been dragged out because they aren’t getting the changes up fast enough. They really need another month at this point to get things tested properly and not rush it or there are going to be more bugs and class balance issues than ever before.

There are some major changes to how gear bonuses and these new tacticals will work. Also any new systems or changes always seem to break 3 other unintended things when they add them.

It would be better for the game to not rush or use crunch time to release in September. Players testing on the PTS aren’t going to use the Bioware famous “crunch time” to give feed back and test. All of these changes to be tested should have been ready to go back in May if they expected a September release,

I would suggest they announce a delay sooner than closer to the actual date they have in mind. Even if they need to push it a month or even into early November. I think players would ultimately prefer that over something rushed and possibly unplayable or game breaking.

And what if that is the pace they want to run at and already have all the required fixes in place? In your opinion it isn't ready, it doesn't mean to EA that they think it isn't ready. MMO games are always beta products and nothing is ever really fixed or settled on in such a game. So be it now or later it will always have problems.

Sure, releasing it a little later will lessen the impact somewhat, but it really doesn't change all that much as there will always be bugs and glitches that are going to be seen and dealt with over the next few weeks after launch if there was a delay or not, it matters not one bit.

There is just no way to tell what will happen next.

That pretty much sums up the experience of following SWTOR's development. Although past experience says that the probability is what will happen next with any given update will be roughly 60-80% upsetting, until things get fixed and concerns are addressed.

That's the beauty of it. You never quite know what you're going to get. You can just be assured it will a high percentage of disappointing.

So I guess what I'm saying is, SWTOR is the video game development embodiment of a lootbox.

And what if that is the pace they want to run at and already have all the required fixes in place? In your opinion it isn't ready, it doesn't mean to EA that they think it isn't ready. MMO games are always beta products and nothing is ever really fixed or settled on in such a game. So be it now or later it will always have problems.

Sure, releasing it a little later will lessen the impact somewhat, but it really doesn't change all that much as there will always be bugs and glitches that are going to be seen and dealt with over the next few weeks after launch if there was a delay or not, it matters not one bit.

Common, really? You are going to take that stance after it’s been proven that every single time they release new content it has problems. Especially if it’s major content that has to do with class balance and gear and new abilities.

They don’t even know how this stuff will work out because they put it up on the pts for 2 days then take it down.

Players can’t test balance or changes that fast. We don’t play “crunch time” development.

The issue for me isn’t that it will have bugs. That’s a forgone conclusion.

The problem is they have not allowed for enough testing of this new gearing system, abilities or class balance. These things should not be rushed as they can be more game breaking than bugs. They really should have had all those things up on the PTS to test and play around with back May or beginning or June. Not putting them on 7 weeks before it goes live.