Hi guys! My name is Chris and I'm a gamer.....

Torothin

My girlfriend makes fun of me. I call her young padawan all the time. She even told her sister what my online handle was and proceeded to make fun of me. I told her that if things worked out she could meet my online internet friends and you know what? She laughed hysterically at me but still wants to meet them.

She is really hot. Blond hair and brown eyes. I really do enjoy SWTOR. I like to PWN noobs on a daily basis. But I can only take so much of the "We all need to thank Chris for keeping the space lanes safe." talk. This goes on between my GF, brother-in-law, and sisters. Do all of us go through this who actually have social lives while playing online games? My name is Chris and I'm a gamer. Discuss!

Edited by Torothin

Typical, some guy who seems Nice enough makes a little post to ask about the communities social experience, and first couple of Posts are attacking him. Shows a lot about this Forum... Even if it Seems a bit of a Weird Post. Luls Edited by Alohen

Typical, some guy who seems Nice enough makes a little post to ask about the communities social experience, and first couple of Posts are attacking him. Shows a lot about this Forum... Even if it Seems a bit of a Weird Post. Luls

we attacked him??? Look at his so called Close family.

Throw her back. Obviously this relationship isn't going to work as she doesn't understand your choice of leisure time. There are HOT girls that play video games. Ultimately you'll break up w/her anyway, likely over gaming in the future. No reason to make yourself miserable the next couple of months trying to defend what you like to do and make her happy at the same time. She's expendable.

Gaming is just a hobby.

If someone is making fun of you for engaging in a particular hobby, make fun of theirs and then ask how it feels.

To make fun of someone for the things they like to do is simply dumb, and implies that one hobby is somehow more valuable than another.

Everybody is some kind of nerd, doesn't matter what it is. If you're passionate about something, you're a nerd. And being a nerd is A-OK.

I like gaming. I like movies, art, roleplaying games, and pushing little miniatures around a model battlefield. I also like CrossFit.

A hobby is simply a way to pass time that gives you pleasure. None of them are more or less important than another.

The only exception to this is sex. Sex is the greatest hobby ever invented, and as long as you're getting it, who cares what else you like to do? ;)

My girlfriend makes fun of me. I call her young padawan all the time. She even told her sister what my online handle was and proceeded to make fun of me. I told her that if things worked out she could meet my online internet friends and you know what? She laughed hysterically at me but still wants to meet them.

She is really hot. Blond hair and brown eyes. I really do enjoy SWTOR. I like to PWN noobs on a daily basis. But I can only take so much of the "We all need to thank Chris for keeping the space lanes safe." talk. This goes on between my GF, brother-in-law, and sisters. Do all of us go through this who actually have social lives while playing online games? My name is Chris and I'm a gamer. Discuss!

Seems like harmless fun to me, my advice is to stop getting annoyed and join in and see the funny side.

I used to pen and paper roleplay, did minatures as well when I was younger. I had two sets of friends, the 'gamers' and the 'norms' and the two groups never mingled and the GF never saw/got involved with the game side. Friends and family in general were kept in the dark. My gamer friends had the social skills of mass murderers and my games where just something I liked to do but found I could be normal and have that interest but got sick and tired of being labelled a freak from a young age because of that interest so I kinda just got used to keeping it from norms.

I played football and liked going out with norms but I liked my gaming and I just found it too much of a drag trying to constantly explain to norms that norms can enjoy the various types of gaming.

My last GF was a gamer and loved RP games so she was probably the first person in 20 years that knew both sides of my personal life and she had no problem with either side, thought I was silly to keep both separate but when she was constantly mocked by her family I just looked at her and said, "this is why".

Edited by traft

Not really, but then again I don't so much make the geeky references unless I know the other person is going to get it. Imagine if you have a friend who really enjoys football. Now imagine he calls you his quarter-back. Makes things a tad different when you not only enjoy something, but more or less make it your identity.

Truly, the only people who actually know Im are hardcore MMORPG player are my immediate family. None of my friends know otherwise due to the simple fact of that I do not discuss MMO's with them.

That may be your problem

Sorry to hear bout your wench not understand ya gaming brah. *****es these days huh? Dun understand the SWTOR. Let her have her laugh mate, you'll have the last one.. You don't see her owning a lightsaber and kicking arse do you?

Truly, the only people who actually know Im are hardcore MMORPG player are my immediate family. None of my friends know otherwise due to the simple fact of that I do not discuss MMO's with them.

That may be your problem

I think it's all in how it's presented. I don't nessarily keep my gaming hobbies a secret, but nor do I go out of my way to mention them. If someone asks me what I did on the weekend, I'd say: "Oh, you know. Watch some DVD's, played some PC games, read a little Haruki Murakami." If they show interest or elaborate, I do. Otherwise, I leave it at that.

Sigh. Some people spend hundreds of dollars a month and countless hours on Facebook games, yet still call US the nerds.

Do your friends/family have gadgets? iPod? iPad? Smartphone? Constantly texting? Throw it back at them. Do they schedule time to watch their favorite TV series? Same thing.

Oh they like football? Must fit into the jock category.

Wait, the everyone in the world doesn't fit into nice neat black and white categories...?

I think it's all in how it's presented. I don't nessarily keep my gaming hobbies a secret, but nor do I go out of my way to mention them. If someone asks me what I did on the weekend, I'd say: "Oh, you know. Watch some DVD's, played some PC games, read a little Haruki Murakami." If they show interest or elaborate, I do. Otherwise, I leave it at that.

My answer is usually much shorter.. "whatever I wanted to". My wife loves that one! :p