Game is young, but mentally, I'm done with questing

RolyartNala

Yep, I have checked out.

I leveled 1-50 twice, I have a few alts levels 15-43, and I really can't be bothered to head to a planet to grind out the exact same linear quests in linear fashion for a third, fourth, fifth time. So my alts stand around the station and look cool, and then I log them off and play my main.

I quested hardcore for the first month. I explored lots of stuff all over the place---every solo aspect of the game got a spin, be it crafting, exploring, datacrons, quests. I did it. And now it's done. And now I'm done with that stuff.

My SWTOR routine now is to log into the station (where, incidentally, all my alts live too), do PVP dailies and maybe run a flashpoint if enough guildies are on. At some point I will try operations.

But Corellia again? Alderaan? Hoth? No. God, no.

I got out of those leveling sinkholes and have not looked back. Questing, being so closely associated with leveling, falls into that category. I can't fathom running from A to B to kill ten more things yet again, even if the voice acting is nice.

I am having fun in the game since 1.1.5. I like the PVP changes. I'm looking forward to 1.2 for the most part.

I have no point. Just musing on what I realized---questing is over. I'm done. I finished that part of the game (and what a relief).

I agree, but i dont know what to do about it.

Its really ironic that Bioware wants us to roll alts but we have to do the same quests over and over again.

I guess after 1.2 you can just pvp your way through, maybe i'll try that with 1 char.

And you decided to share this sudden realization with the rest of us why? Do you think many people are going to care?
On the internet, you have this amazing ability to come together and share ideas with people. They can be big ideas or small ideas, profound or pointless, but all the same it's incredibly empowering for anyone with a computer to know that at any moment you can choose to just reach out and connect with a larger world than exists in your own backyard.

This is modernity, and we are living in a technosocial wormhole. It's a rad time to be alive and connected.

And you decided to share this sudden realization with the rest of us why? Do you think many people are going to care?

nup, nobody cares.

Fact is that all MMO's are like this. Dumb part is that he is just realizing it now. might be time for a different genre eh OP?

Yeah, it stinks, and doesn't deviate from the mudanities of the average MMO. You park your toons, tire of the leveling game, and queue up for BGs or try to find FP/OP groups.

Hell, I can't even be arsed to get my character on my ridiculously low-pop (launch server) character to 50. A lot of the quests are more boring than what WoW has to offer in Cataclysm.

I'm hoping for something more at 50, but until server transfers and a cross-realm LFG tool is implemented all I can do is cross my fingers (and cancel my account after the 3 months are up).

MMOs are just as much about story as they are about grouping to me. If I have no folks to heal, then there's just no damn point in my playing the game.

nup, nobody cares.

Fact is that all MMO's are like this. Dumb part is that he is just realizing it now. might be time for a different genre eh OP?

True very true but some mmo's make a bit less repetitive. This game you are stuck to this planet at this lvl and using this map.

Well I think bioware knew that people would say stuff like this and thats why they put in the class quests. They're different for each class. Now with those there is a little variation of questing and story. Unlike some MMOs. So if you're not going to enjoy this game please shut up and go play WoW and complain to people in trade chat.

nup, nobody cares.

Well I think bioware knew that people would say stuff like this and thats why they put in the class quests. They're different for each class. Now with those there is a little variation of questing and story. Unlike some MMOs. So if you're not going to enjoy this game please shut up and go play WoW and complain to people in trade chat.

Welcome to MMOs, if you don't like them, no one is forcing you to play.

Thank you & have a nice day.

This thread is now about all the silly things internet tough guys say to people who just want to express thoughts, musings and ideas.

Carry on, gentlemen (I use the term loosely).

Edited by RolyartNala

I'll let you guys in on a little secret on the FUNNEST way to level alts!

-----------------------------

1) Do ONLY the class quests and/or possibly world arc series. Absolutely do NOT do the one-off quests or heroic quests.

2) To supplement XP:

• a) Run space missions, believe it or not, you get great XP from this!

• b) Do PvP, believe it or not, you get great XP from this!

Yes, it may take a slight bit more time to get max level, but not that much more and I guarantee, if you stick to that formula for leveling alts, it is so much more fun.

Edited by iResist

1) Do ONLY the class quests and/or possibly world arc series. Absolutely do NOT do the one-off quests or heroic quests.

2) To supplement XP:

• a) Run space missions

• b) Do PvP

I guarantee if you stick to that formula for leveling alts, it is so much more fun.

You are probably on to something, here!

2) To supplement XP:

I guarantee if you stick to that formula for leveling alts, it is so much more fun.

And it takes about 10x as long to do, too. "FUN!"

Yep, I have checked out.

I leveled 1-50 twice, I have a few alts levels 15-43, and I really can't be bothered to head to a planet to grind out the exact same linear quests in linear fashion for a third, fourth, fifth time. So my alts stand around the station and look cool, and then I log them off and play my main.

I quested hardcore for the first month. I explored lots of stuff all over the place---every solo aspect of the game got a spin, be it crafting, exploring, datacrons, quests. I did it. And now it's done. And now I'm done with that stuff.

Welcome to MMOs, if you don't like them, no one is forcing you to play.

Thank you & have a nice day.

Edited by Aedey

This thread is now about all the silly things internet tough guys say to people who just want to express thoughts, musings and ideas.

Carry on, gentlemen (I use the term loosely).

lol @ Internet tough guys hehe. Seriously man, try some different types of games maybe? Reason I say this is that it sounds a bit like MMO burnout to me and the genre isn't going to change anytime soon. GW2's dynamic system and Tera's action combat isn't going to cut it either, just you watch and see. try a few isometric RPG's and the odd shooter for a while and then have a look at MMO's again. I am betting it's just what you need. :)

2) To supplement XP:

I tried it and I can only take so much Hutball (random people = random quality = random fun/frustration), spacemissions are ok, but much like questing they get to repetive to quick.

My problem is that I have one 50 that I dont play (sith assassin) and a powertech at 48 that I havent logged in a week, I wanted to test out the Operative, but I'm stuck at sub 20 and I'm so demotivated to quest or play it, I'm actually missing the option to "create" my own journey, I would love to have 3-4 zones for each leveling tier, my own chance to see other places then what bioware told me.

Completely agree. I really enjoyed the questing at the start, especially the main story line. But i have found the leveling process to be FAR to slow for questing. I find my self doing a decent chunk of the quests in an area only to have gained little xp.

What you said is correct, their quests are tedious and repetitive. This game was supposed to change MMOs, it was supposed to be about the STORY; but 9/10 you are running around doing the exact same thing "kill 10 (name here) then return" or "plant bomb here" or "locate 5 artifacts". The grind in this game is probably worse than most MMOs (for quests at least).

The sad thing is, 90% of the problem isnt even the quests. Its the TIME spent doing them. They have these "speeders" which are ungodly slow--compared to the idea they were based on--as well as these "linear" or "maze" like maps. Most of the time is spent just going from point A to point B, because you cant go over mountains, theres no short cuts, the areas are practically mazes. The number of times ive been given a quest location and its been but a few hundred meters away, though over a *********** mountain, so i have to run ALL the way around it to get to the quest. Tatooine is a good example of this.

Now on to the Alts. I have started leveling several different alts. I couldnt get passed level 20 with them. The story lines are AMAZING. I absolutely love the main stories but you get about 1 story quest for every 30 side quests you do. Thats a joke. If these main stories had FAR MORE of an impact on the leveling process, then people would actually make alts more often (meaning you get MUCH MUCH more xp from them).

In conclusion, this game doesnt feel like an MMO at all. Everything has the feel of an RPG. With there being so so many time sinks (excessive amount of time spent traveling, waiting in que, the back and forth of quests and insanely long load times) this game feels like they plan on getting money from us, by making the game take so long to achieve anything that we have no choice but to pay a subscription for years on end.

Just to let you know about why i feel this way, I am an alt person, i like playing ALL the different rolls/classes a game has to offer. This game obviously doesnt like people playing alts, because as soon as you have 1 character on the Empire and Republic, you know 95% of the story, because its mainly side quests, which you have to do EVERY one in order to level a character. I dislike WoW and have not played in over a year now, so I am not a WoW fanboy, I am not going to play any other MMO for that matter (until GW2 comes out, but thats along time probably). So i am not trying to dis the game because i found something more to my liking. I love star wars and i am ashamed that this is the best BW could come up with. Its like they got 3/4 of the way through making the game and then decided to make it an MMO. I will be back in 6 or more months to give it another shot but until then, i have canceled my subscription, i hope they fix the countless issues with this game, i only addressed a couple, there are FAR FAR more than this, which make the game feel "dull" as i have heard many people state.

I'm saving a few heroics per planet and most FPs for my first alt and still find that I'm levelling at a nice rate. Plus my alt is a healer (main is JKS) so it's a different experience altogether.

Not sure what else BW could have done; each class has a fully acted and entirely different story and set of companions. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is a first, right?

My problem is that I have one 50 that I dont play (sith assassin) and a powertech at 48 that I havent logged in a week, I wanted to test out the Operative, but I'm stuck at sub 20 and I'm so demotivated to quest or play it, I'm actually missing the option to "create" my own journey, I would love to have 3-4 zones for each leveling tier, my own chance to see other places then what bioware told me.
Yeah. I have to say, one of the nice things about WoW (no, internet tough guys, I'm not going back, I'm done with that game, thanks) was that each race had a unique starting area for the first 20 levels or so, and at any particular level bracket there were at least two different areas you could quest in. So I would alternate, and as a result it wouldn't ever get old.

While, yes, the voice work in this game is tremendous, it also necessitated an attenuated leveling experience---race/class aside, there are only two paths to the top, one per faction.

It's possible the Legacy system will be interesting enough that I'll be willing to quest again. Right now, though? Ugh.

Edited by RolyartNala

True very true but some mmo's make a bit less repetitive. This game you are stuck to this planet at this lvl and using this map.

True, in a way the best MMO I know of where doing the same quest with another class make for a completely different experience is DDO. But I think DDO reach that goal by having non related combat skill and alternate path in low level quest optionals, thus making the experience different. In some of the low level quest the difference I had between a thief based class and a cleric absed class was striking.

Still no MMO to date has found a way to make it "not repetitive", there is stilla degreee of repetition involved, only some MMO are better at hiding it. I found SWTOR to be better at hiding it than some of their concurrence.

@OP, a trick you might want to use when making alt in SWTOR, is to alternate the side on which you make the alt : imp/rep/imp/rep, thus making the repetitive quest have more time in between giving them chance to be "forgotten" by your brain ;).

@OP, a trick you might want to use when making alt in SWTOR, is to alternate the side on which you make the alt : imp/rep/imp/rep, thus making the repetitive quest have more time in between giving them chance to be "forgotten" by your brain ;).
That is an excellent suggestion, but I have a compulsion to make all my alts on the same team, which is the team that my friends play on. For some reason it's just not as fun to play without friends, completely anonymous. Hard for me to put effort into that.

Since the game is so instanced anyway, it would be awesome if the future patches atleast (or expantions for that matter) added better choices in the class story arc, maybe you can pick your bounty on one of two or three planets and if there is a companion on the chain that can be found on either place.

nup, nobody cares.

Funny, i do. You should not speak for "all of us".

And you know there ARE Mmos who offer alternate Questing Areas, so you dont have to go EXACTLY the same path again. Everquest 2 comes in my mind, wich hat the same level zones on each side.

WoW classic comes in my mind that has for most levelspans at least 2 diffrent zones.

All this legacy Stuff sounds fun... but is generally only an Incentive to run the Rat-Race again. And i agree, having 2 Max/Near maxlevel and a few 15-30ers i can say, its a boring feeling of even running Tython or Ord Mantell again, though i contemplated to start on another Rp Server fresh.

If they increased pvp experience, or story quests alts would become way more interesting. I don't want to free the Organas from the Thul for the third time, or kill Thana Vesh(THAT *****!) for the second. I'd like to be able to follow just the main story. To be fair the main quest of each planet doesn't even bother me that much it's the necessity to pick up most side-quests along the road that annoy me the most.