I don't mind being free marketing for you Bioware, but. . .

Egnar

I feel kind of cheated inviting all of my friends to 7 day trials with such big restrictions [don't get me wrong I agree with the restrictions and understand why they are there] that I won't really be able to enjoy playing the game with my friends until they end of paying you without receiving some kind of compensation.

Seriously, you're asking me to advertise your game, something you pay people to do normally? I see ads for this game every time I boot up Kongregate.com and I'm sure Gamestop didn't put those advertisements up for free.

You can't offer me a free month for every friend of mine that eventually decides to pay for your game?. . Not even a free week? I'm not asking for anything upfront but if I produce results to bolster your revenue shouldn't I be compensated?

I was pretty excited when I saw this trial because I wanted to find something I could do with my 18 year old younger brother during our spare time, even if I ended up paying for his first few months of play, but, I just feel dirty sending him an e-mail at this point.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard of a game throwing money away in that way it'd be fininicially disasterous. If they want a free month and they like the game after 7 days of tinkering with it they can go buy a copy like everyone else.

I feel kind of cheated inviting all of my friends to 7 day trials with such big restrictions [don't get me wrong I agree with the restrictions and understand why they are there] that I won't really be able to enjoy playing the game with my friends until they end of paying you without receiving some kind of compensation.

Seriously, you're asking me to advertise your game, something you pay people to do normally? I see ads for this game every time I boot up Kongregate.com and I'm sure Gamestop didn't put those advertisements up for free.

You can't offer me a free month for every friend of mine that eventually decides to pay for your game?. . Not even a free week? I'm not asking for anything upfront but if I produce results to bolster your revenue shouldn't I be compensated?

I was pretty excited when I saw this trial because I wanted to find something I could do with my 18 year old younger brother during our spare time, even if I ended up paying for his first few months of play, but, I just feel dirty sending him an e-mail at this point.

trust me more than enough people will offer the free trial to their friends for free because they want to play with their friends. they do not care about getting anything for free. I already have given two of my free week trials to my friends and i will soon be giving my third away. asking for something from bioware seems to me like you are just wanting something for free, not to enjoy the game with your friends..

like the other threads have said .. playing with your friends should be all the reward you need.

if you want to get paid to advertise for games, then open an advertising website or company.....dont beg bioware for anything . and hes your brother just pay for two months for him because you are a nice guy...hell I already paid for 4 months of my brothers just because he cant afford it at the moment but wants to play the game.

Seriously? You dont have to invite anyone. Giving your friend tha 7 day trial is rewarding enough...

I have friends at work who want to play this game but "can't afford to" when I know they can, them just like me have never played MMO's up until now. I'm guessing that this is because they don't want to shelve out 50 bucks for a game they might not like but with this 7 day trial who knows. They might enjoy it and decide to continue on playing and that is a win for me because I get to play this MMO with some friends who I wanted to be playing with in the first place.

If giving free game time for every person you might invite is an incentive I guess that would be sort of going in the wrong direction. Bioware and EA is a company, they need to make revenue and this game aint free. At best I would say they could give us a medal sort of like the founder medal that shows we invited a certain amount of people into the game, perhaps a color crystal or special robe/armor.

I've never heard of a game throwing money away in that way it'd be fininicially disasterous. If they want a free month and they like the game after 7 days of tinkering with it they can go buy a copy like everyone else.

Not sure you understood the question. He is not asking for a free month for his friends, he is asking for a free month of play for himself for every friend he gets to join and pay. It seems like they could at least give you a free month for every 3 friends that join and pay. Or maybe something in game for each person that joins and pays. Otherwise it is not really a program, it is just free advertising for them.

Meh...

The ones I know who were, even remotely, interested in TOR have already bought it. Those that quit are not going to be swayed by a free "trial" and the rest were not interested in TOR in the first place. Just give it up and put up the free week or two trial that we all know is coming.

Stalling, or trying to disguise it, isn't fooling anyone.

Enjoying playing the game with your friends isn't compensation enough? So you don't really care about playing with your friends, you just want BioWare to give you something for sending out invites?

Not sure you understood the question. He is not asking for a free month for his friends, he is asking for a free month of play for himself for every friend he gets to join and pay. It seems like they could at least give you a free month for every 3 friends that join and pay. Or maybe something in game for each person that joins and pays. Otherwise it is not really a program, it is just free advertising for them.

when did they ever say it was a program. its a week trial for your friends? they never mentioned incentive or anything.. people are wanting way to much out of bioware being a nice company. they are trying to get people who are on the fence a chance to try the game.. hell from what i saw in beta half of the beta testers didnt test anything all they did was try the game and see if they were going to buy it..

then half of them whined when nothing got fixed and half of the bugs never got reported.

isnt it fair to give others the same chance everyone who screwed the pooch in beta got?

You get along great in this day and age, huh? Standing there with your hand out...

Be proud young entitled one...

You get along great in this day and age, huh? Standing there with your hand out...

Yeah I know you wanted really bad to sound cool, but BW should have offered a special speeder or something in game for participation in any kind of invite a friend program. Without something like that, I'm more interested in getting my friends to play anno 2070 which I'm enjoying alot more atm.

Yeah I know you wanted really bad to sound cool, but BW should have offered a special speeder or something in game for participation in any kind of invite a friend program. Without something like that, I'm more interested in getting my friends to play anno 2070 which I'm enjoying alot more atm.

that is perfectly within your right.. go take your friends and enjoy that game.. bioware doesnt owe you anything for LETTING your friend play this game FREE for a week....

they arent giving YOU anything YOU are giving your friend a chance to try a game you are supposed to enjoy and you should be happy you get the chance to give your friend a free week... when we all bought the game many of us bought it on faith that wed like the game..

when did they ever say it was a program. its a week trial for your friends? they never mentioned incentive or anything.. people are wanting way to much out of bioware being a nice company. they are trying to get people who are on the fence a chance to try the game.. hell from what i saw in beta half of the beta testers didnt test anything all they did was try the game and see if they were going to buy it..

then half of them whined when nothing got fixed and half of the bugs never got reported.

isnt it fair to give others the same chance everyone who screwed the pooch in beta got?

The program was just the way I read it. I know it was just inviting friends since that is what it said and never mentioned any incentives. I just thought it would be nice since the player is the one getting them in game and giving BioWare added income that BioWare might in turn give a little back as a token of gratitude. Companies do it all the time, including the one I work for. It is not asking too much, it is good for business.

The program was just the way I read it. I know it was just inviting friends since that is what it said and never mentioned any incentives. I just thought it would be nice since the player is the one getting them in game and giving BioWare added income that BioWare might in turn give a little back as a token of gratitude. Companies do it all the time, including the one I work for. It is not asking too much, it is good for business.

you are asking to much though... really. just because they arent giving YOU anything, it doesnt mean they arent giving away stuff.. you do not deserve anything for simply posting a few emails to your friends.....

you are asking to much though... really. just because they arent giving YOU anything, it doesnt mean they arent giving away stuff.. you do not deserve anything for simply posting a few emails to your friends.....

I never said posting a few emails, I said if they actually paid for the game, as in a sub. Anyway, doesn't matter, I know I don't deserve anything, just thought it would be a nice gesture.

that is perfectly within your right.. go take your friends and enjoy that game.. bioware doesnt owe you anything for LETTING your friend play this game FREE for a week....

they arent giving YOU anything YOU are giving your friend a chance to try a game you are supposed to enjoy and you should be happy you get the chance to give your friend a free week... when we all bought the game many of us bought it on faith that wed like the game..

Yeah, you've got to be kidding me.

You say BW doesen't owe me anything. I don't owe BW anything either.

Other mmos offer things like special mounts for invite a friend programs because it works.

Yeah, you've got to be kidding me.

You say BW doesen't owe me anything. I don't owe BW anything either.

Other mmos offer things like special mounts for invite a friend programs because it works.

meh if you dont owe them anything they dont owe you anything.. who cares? this incentive program will either work or fail. but i dont see the need or i dont see how we have teh right to demand anything from them

Just want to correct you on something. Bioware is not asking you to market their game. They are giving you the option to advertise it to your friends.

Its ok, most people dont know what marketing means and use the concept wrong.

Why am I entitled? For wanting to be properly compensated for increasing the revenues of a company? Sure my 1 friend may not be signficant but if every player gets 1 friend to play it is pretty significant.

Just want to correct you on something. Bioware is not asking you to market their game. They are giving you the option to advertise it to your friends.

Its ok, most people dont know what marketing means and use the concept wrong.

No let me correct you - If Bioware were comfortable with its revenues it wouldn't have posted free trials. Most MMO games do not post free trials this early in the development cycle. Don't kid yourself, this isn't "for me" or "for my friends" this is for Bioware/EA. If it were actually FOR my friends it would be an unrestricted 7 day trial. It's restricted to force people into paying in order to see the game in its full glory, which is fine that's the way it should be but the truth is that this is FOR Bioware

I'm not asking for a hand out. I'm not the guy saying "hey I've been paying for this game for XYZ you better treat me better than other people." I'm not saying the game should be easier/harder or for free loot, pvp equipment or credits. What I am saying is that if Bioware is going to use it's playerbase as tools to increase its own revenue, which is a service they normally pay for upfront in order to advertise than at the very least I should be compensate for doing so.

Those of you who are kidding yourselves into thinking you're not deserving of compensation for being a tool for increased revenue and stock prices (large subscription base increase) are crazy. Most games that do trials of sort DO offer some kind of compensation:

League of Legends: for every player I get to play (even if they don't pay) I get some form of normally paid for in-game item/character.

WoW: I remember back when they first started playing with Free Trials you were given game-time for any friend who ended up being a paid subscriber. Hell, now they're giving away free upgrades to an expansion and free premium mounts for getting a friend who quit to come back.

Atlantica: Everytime I invited a player to play the game (paid or free) if they reached a certain level I was awarded with a treasure chest filled with semi useful cheap pay-for items.

Final Fantasy XI:http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Vana%27diel_Adventurer_Recruitment_Program/rewards

It appears as though the FFXI recruitment continues the longer the person pays for the game, which is cool too!

Warhammer: Age of Reckoning:http://www.warhammeronline.com/recruit/

30 days of gametime plus other items

Star Trek Online: Recruit a friend and receive bonuses when grouped with that friend as well as free in-game items AND premium currency to use at the online store.

Note, the few are just EXAMPLES of ways companies reward their players for doing the dirty work for them. I have played many MMO games and in almost all of them if I give a company an easy $60 bucks plus unlimited growth potential of $15/month I was at least acknowledge with some form of thank you.

Edited by Egnar

Why am I entitled? For wanting to be properly compensated for increasing the revenues of a company? Sure my 1 friend may not be signficant but if every player gets 1 friend to play it is pretty significant.

No let me correct you - If Bioware were comfortable with its revenues it wouldn't have posted free trials. Most MMO games do not post free trials this early in the development cycle. Don't kid yourself, this isn't "for me" or "for my friends" this is for Bioware/EA. If it were actually FOR my friends it would be an unrestricted 7 day trial. It's restricted to force people into paying in order to see the game in its full glory, which is fine that's the way it should be but the truth is that this is FOR Bioware

I'm not asking for a hand out. I'm not the guy saying "hey I've been paying for this game for XYZ you better treat me better than other people." I'm not saying the game should be easier/harder or for free loot, pvp equipment or credits. What I am saying is that if Bioware is going to use it's playerbase as tools to increase its own revenue, which is a service they normally pay for upfront in order to advertise than at the very least I should be compensate for doing so.

Those of you who are kidding yourselves into thinking you're not deserving of compensation for being a tool for increased revenue and stock prices (large subscription base increase) are crazy. Most games that do trials of sort DO offer some kind of compensation:

In League of Legends for every player I get to play (even if they don't pay) I get some form of normally paid for in-game item/character.

In WoW I remember back when they first started playing with Free Trials you were given game-time for any friend who ended up being a paid subscriber. Hell, now they're giving away free upgrades to an expansion and free premium mounts for getting a friend who quit to come back.

Note, the above 2 are just EXAMPLES of ways companies reward their players for doing the dirty work for them. I have played many MMO games and in almost all of them if I give a company an easy $60 bucks plus unlimited growth potential of $15/month I was at least acknowledge with some form of thank you.

if you do not want to be a tool for biowares marketing..simply dont send any invites...

boom problem solved.. you arent part of their horrible marketing scheme like you think they are running.. and you can not complain they arent giving you anything...

meh if you dont owe them anything they dont owe you anything.. who cares? this incentive program will either work or fail. but i dont see the need or i dont see how we have teh right to demand anything from them

Who cares?, BW should.. I couldn't help but notice that you called it an "incentive program" in your response here. Care to tell me what the incentive it? Again, other mmo makers actually offer fluff rewards as incentive for invite a friend programs because it works.

Aside from all that, alot of people are sitting on the fence waiting to see what 1.2 brings to the game. Seeing BW attempt to bolster their accounts before 1.2 instead of afterwards immediately lowers my expectations for that patch.

Edited by Vlaxitov