Star Wars VII - will it add a boost to the popularity of The Old Republic?

Wrench

Hi Guys,

So.. im a HUGE Star Wars fan, as I know most of you are too. We're also no doubt all aware of the mixed feelings in the Star Wars community surrounding the news that Disney is at the reins and we now have a definate 7th film in 2015 with more potential sequels every 2 years after that..

Personally as a Star Wars of going on 3 decades, I have mixed feelings... on the one hand im scared that the new hands at the reins will charge off into the sunset ripping the preciously constucted lore to shreds on the way... but on the other hand im thinking.. YES!!!! more visual Star Wars stories to watch and enjoy... To be honest its a 20-80% split.. the 80 being the excitment factor!

But anyway, back to my initial point of this thread.. With the inevitable hype for the new films, will there be a hike in the interest and draw to our beloved Star Wars The Old Republic MMO?

The films will no doubt draw in the next generation of StarWars fans to the cause, but will they also come our way as well...???

What are your thoughts?

I'm not a huge fan of the Marvel movies, not a huge fan of Marvel Comics in general, but they are good and they are true to the original comics in ways that I appreciate. I would love it, and I think it would be wise, for Disney to buy X-Men off Fox and make a Pixar animated TV show but I digress..

They have wisely been hands-off with Marvel Entertainment and they have been rewarded massively with lots of cash for staying away and letting a no-brainer like true Marvel movies happen.

Disney has been making really smart decisions all across the board except for their own Animation studio which hasn't made a great movie in Decades, it seems. I think they also need to loosen up with their hold on Pixar and let them up the maturity level a bit, at least for every other movie- which to their credit they at least sort of do anyways. John Carter was a huge mistake as well but the movie itself was okay at the end of the day. They are very aware of the disappointment people have had for the last three Star Wars movies and how they have under performed financially compared to the original trilogy. They learned a valuable lesson with Marvel to *STAY AWAY* and they have only made a lot of money in the process. I am convinced they will do the same with the next movies and TV shows for decades to come. Merchandising on the other hand will be ruled with a white glove iron fist :cool:

People will probably always love Star Wars. I can't really think of another studio which I'd rather own Star Wars than Disney. Sony? Fox? MGM? You have to admit there has always been a friendship between George Lucas and Disney. At the end of the day I really like that Disney owns Star Wars now.

Star Wars theme park. Pixar animated Star Wars show. Movies without ANY involvement from George Lucas.. only good things will come of this.

I'm pessimistic about this and I think future star wars movies won't live up to the hype.

Will George Lucas have an input? Why didn't HE create new movies of star wars before he sold it to Disney?

I see your point, but I think that considering episodes 1-3 werent hugely well recieved by fans.. that following on an doing more films might have filled him with more trepidation. At least by stepping back and letting others make the decisions for moving the stories forward, he can then contribute from a creative standpoint and not get the blunt of the blame if the films arent successful...

But I do hope that the films marketing might also rub off on our MMO and get people interested all over again.. and even bring back some members who might have left as of late.

If the developers were to somehow tie the film with the game then it might. Any of the new worlds featured in Episode 7 - 9 could be made explorable or any new species could become playable or a companion.

Additionally, SWTOR advertisements could be displayed in any tie-in media with the films ie. comics, novels, reference guides, activity books, video games and trading cards.

Edited by Vitas

If the developers were to somehow tie the film with the game then it might. Any of the new worlds featured in Episode 7 - 9 could be made explorable or any new species could become playable or a companion.

Additionally, SWTOR advertisements could be displayed in any tie-in media with the films ie. comics, novels, reference guides, activity books, video games and trading cards.

I like your thinking there buddy.. Tie'ins... good thoughts there!

I like your thinking there buddy.. Tie'ins... good thoughts there!

On certain occasions, Star Wars Galaxies would feature ships, plot lines and locations which tied in with various novels, games and other media. There was the Death Troopers update, Episode III Rage of the Wookiees Expansion Pak, Trials of Obi-Wan Expansion Pak which brought in HK-47 and Mustafar, and the G9 Rigger freighter ship from the Clone Wars film.

Edited by Vitas

I see your point, but I think that considering episodes 1-3 werent hugely well recieved by fans.. that following on an doing more films might have filled him with more trepidation. At least by stepping back and letting others make the decisions for moving the stories forward, he can then contribute from a creative standpoint and not get the blunt of the blame if the films arent successful...

But I do hope that the films marketing might also rub off on our MMO and get people interested all over again.. and even bring back some members who might have left as of late.

I highly doubt fans of the original trilogy are going to enjoy the upcoming Star Wars movies. Regardless of whether George Lucas wrote the stories or not. After all, the story will most likely once more involve fast-paced action scenes, heavy use of CGI, etc. Things which were never welcomed for one, but without a doubt will return.

Additionally, once again it will become a family friendly film, and as such will include story plots and characters which will not be liked by all.

All of which truly was nothing new, but after many original trilogy fans idolized those films so much, they no longer see the hairy ape making funny sounds, or fail to see how much CGI is actually involved in the original trilogy if you think about which time it's made.

I highly doubt fans of the original trilogy are going to enjoy the upcoming Star Wars movies. Regardless of whether George Lucas wrote the stories or not. After all, the story will most likely once more involve fast-paced action scenes, heavy use of CGI, etc. Things which were never welcomed for one, but without a doubt will return.

Additionally, once again it will become a family friendly film, and as such will include story plots and characters which will not be liked by all.

All of which truly was nothing new, but after many original trilogy fans idolized those films so much, they no longer see the hairy ape making funny sounds, or fail to see how much CGI is actually involved in the original trilogy if you think about which time it's made.

So what you're saying is that those people are close-minded old nerds who don't appreciate modern films. Nice.

Personally, the reasons I disliked Episodes 1-3 are different than what you are imagining, but go ahead and believe what you will.

I love all SW movies. Clone Wars too. Hell i will love any SW movie, just because im huge fanboy and SW fan with my whole heart! :D

And no, i don't think that movie will bring more players to SWTOR. People who likes movies aren't all players, especially MMO, etc.

To be honest, SWTOR had its opportunity to be a success in the eyes of the gaming community and it blew it. I doubt anything can be done to fix it now. I don't honestly believe the game will be around in 2015. I hope I'm proven wrong as I used to be a pretty strong defender of the game.

So what you're saying is that those people are close-minded old nerds who don't appreciate modern films. Nice.

Personally, the reasons I disliked Episodes 1-3 are different than what you are imagining, but go ahead and believe what you will.

What I was saying was that 1-3 and 4-6 in many aspects weren't too different. However, if your interpretation is rather how you read it, be my guest.

And no, i don't think that movie will bring more players to SWTOR. People who likes movies aren't all players, especially MMO, etc.

Note that SWTOR is not your usual MMORPG. It's more like a cRPG with MMO functions.

It really depends if the movie is going to be good or bad.

I'm pessimistic about this and I think future star wars movies won't live up to the hype.

Will George Lucas have an input? Why didn't HE create new movies of star wars before he sold it to Disney?

I believe he did ..I know he was all set to make a new movie set in a new era following RotJ, but the lore nazi's berated him so he swore he'd never make another.

I'd like to see a new game also set in that "new era"

Edited by Grecanis

All the rage from entitled "fans" telling im to go die all the time because the PT was made. I feel the Disney situation is a mix of George wanted to retire at one point and a "F You" to the ******es who have made the Star Wars fanbase look so bad.

Lucas has not directed two best parts of the trilogy and actors had also enough spine to push through their vision of the character play back then.

Then you have Phantom Menace as the next SW movie - full of childish nonsense and acting like sheeps. How can anyone be pessimistic about NOT having Lucas at helm of SW VII? I am at least glad of having a chance of seeing E7-9 now which Lucas declared to not create.

Lucas did infact write stories for post ROTJ movies and handed them to Disney..or rather he handed the notes. Also don't worry, this was way back when we he was still working on the original 3...so don't worry your pretty little heads haters, you may not have to rage so hatefully this time. :rolleyes:

I think fellow Star Wars fans need to be optimistic about the future of Star Wars. For those of you that hated the prequel trilogy I have good news for you, George Lucas will only be a "Creative Consultant" for the new movies. For those of you that like the prequel trilogy I will say that you have nothing to fear as well because it actually matters very little whether or not George Lucas is involved because Star Wars, in my opinion, is being held back by Lucas. Star Wars needs to be bigger than Lucas.

That being said I will say that I believe in Disney. For the Marvel comic fans out there I would like to bring up the successful transfer of ownership that brought the Marvel universe under the Disney name. The Marvel Universe suddenly began to boom under Disney with the release of Marvels: The Avengers (black magic involved? probably). Disney knows how to handle a franchise, possibly better than any other entertainment company out there. Lets hope that Disney chooses the right Director. With Stephen Spielberg having his hand largely in the pockets of both Disney and Lucasarts I would be willing to make a bet that he will at least be producing the movie. I think a good Director for the movie would be Peter Jackson. What? Peter Jackson? Peter Jackson successfully managed to convert one of the most complicated works of science fiction/ fantasy in the world into a film. However, the man is now addicted to Tolkien.

Edited by burkepeters

Star Wars already hit rock bottom with the prequels, this is literally a case of no where to go but up. Even if these movies are spectacularly mediocre that'll be a huge step up.

Plus, the less I hear Lucas is involved the more excited I am for them. It baffles me that people still think he's a competent director after the prequels and Red Tails.

Star Wars already hit rock bottom with the prequels, this is literally a case of no where to go but up. Even if these movies are spectacularly mediocre that'll be a huge step up.

Plus, the less I hear Lucas is involved the more excited I am for them. It baffles me that people still think he's a competent director after the prequels and Red Tails.

In your opinion, it has hit rock bottom. You keep forgetting to put that in, just because you think something has hit rock bottom doesn't mean it actually hasn't for other people or at all.

In your opinion, it has hit rock bottom. You keep forgetting to put that in, just because you think something has hit rock bottom doesn't mean it actually hasn't for other people or at all.

You're some knight in shining armor, the way you hunt down posts and then post the same exact one liner without actually addressing the post, I bet you feel awfully special. Except, here, you are factually incorrect. The movies did hit rock bottom in comparison to the original trilogy.

Critically both Episodes I and II were failures; both getting below 60 on Metacritic. Rotten Tomatoes ranks them about the same, with the first one under 60% and the second one barely above it. The only movie that did decent critically was the third movie(which still did not reach even anywhere remotely close to the acclaim of Episodes 4 and 5), and it was praised for it's action and visuals while almost universally panned for it's story. Regardless of what you think of them, they weren't critical successes. They are the worst Star Wars has ever done. All three of the prequels also received far fewer awards than the original trilogy, and earned Lucas his current extremely negative reputation. Literally and factually Star Wars has no where to go but up from there unless Episode 7 is even more universally panned.

The Prequels are terrible enough that the only way Episode 7 could be any worse is if it fell on it's face and was panned by everybody, including the blindly hardcore fans. Which, really, it's a win/win for me because as much as I want a good movie, I think it'd be a hilarious final nail in the Star Wars coffin for 7 to be terrible.

EDIT: If you consider the first Clone Wars animated movie to be part of the film series than it is, infact, more universally panned than the prequel trilogy -and- I don't think it grossed nearly as much.

Edited by LegendaryBlade

You're some knight in shining armor, the way you hunt down posts and then post the same exact one liner without actually addressing the post, I bet you feel awfully special. Except, here, you are factually incorrect. The movies did hit rock bottom in comparison to the original trilogy.

Critically both Episodes I and II were failures; both getting below 60 on Metacritic. Rotten Tomatoes ranks them about the same, with the first one under 60% and the second one barely above it. The only movie that did decent critically was the third movie(which still did not reach even anywhere remotely close to the acclaim of Episodes 4 and 5), and it was praised for it's action and visuals while almost universally panned for it's story. Regardless of what you think of them, they weren't critical successes. They are the worst Star Wars has ever done. All three of the prequels also received far fewer awards than the original trilogy, and earned Lucas his current extremely negative reputation. Literally and factually Star Wars has no where to go but up from there unless Episode 7 is even more universally panned.

The Prequels are terrible enough that the only way Episode 7 could be any worse is if it fell on it's face and was panned by everybody, including the blindly hardcore fans. Which, really, it's a win/win for me because as much as I want a good movie, I think it'd be a hilarious final nail in the Star Wars coffin for 7 to be terrible.

EDIT: If you consider the first Clone Wars animated movie to be part of the film series than it is, infact, more universally panned than the prequel trilogy -and- I don't think it grossed nearly as much.

Critics are entitled to their opinions, just like you and I. I liked the Prequels. Obviously, you didn't. We all have our own opinion. No need to hate on people with an opinion opposed to yours.

Critics are entitled to their opinions, just like you and I. I liked the Prequels. Obviously, you didn't. We all have our own opinion. No need to hate on people with an opinion opposed to yours.

Not hating on anyone, just standing by my statement.

There's no where to go but up for Episode 7, there's no way it's going to do worse than the prequels. Not by fans, not by critics, and certainly not by the most hardcore blind. It'd have to be 2011's Smurfs level of awful to do any worse.