Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lightsabers

Vego_Mohenjo
02.14.2017 , 12:30 PM | #1
I've been trying really hard to get back into my Sage.

It's the class I've played the longest, going all the way back to the first beta testing, and I always enjoyed him until now.
Part of the reason is the WAY I play him. I conceived of the character as a kind of Jedi Batman, so he was quick to go into melee and mix it up with his lightsaber.

5.0 took away his only real lightsaber ability. Oh yes, he has Saber Strike, but the damage it does is SO tiny that it's barely noticeable, and the animation is weak and boring. The character is actually better off just punching the enemy.

It's really destroyed my ability to enjoy the character.

I know, it's something relatively trivial but the impact it's having is enormous.

I mean, Conuslars are JEDI. The thing that is most iconic about a Jedi is the LIGHTSABER, but now it's little more than a cosmetic item. It's diminished the class and made it feel less like a JEDI. This can be a crippling thing.

Now, I get it, you want to force players to only play a ranged combat style. I don't understand why, but if that's the case, give the saber some OTHER use. Include it in the activation of some of the other powers. Change something to let the character THROW the saber. Do whatever is needed to make the class feel like JEDI again.

Of course, the simplest solution is to give us back that one skill (Dual Slash for Sages, Thrash for Sorcerors).

Come on now, Bioware, remember this is STAR WARS.

mike_carton
02.15.2017 , 05:51 PM | #2
Jedi Batman would not be a Consular. Would be a Knight, Light Knight.

Vego_Mohenjo
02.15.2017 , 06:04 PM | #3
Well... there's more backstory. He's an orphan and a child (well, very young), so he lacks the physical chops to be a Knight. His Batman aspect is that he's there in the slums of Coruscant, cleaning up the streets and waging war on the gangs.

Big_Marser
02.16.2017 , 03:11 AM | #4
So why don't you play a shadow? He has the consular force skills to throw some scrap to the attacking guy but is in fact a melee combatant. Based on your description, I had a shadow in mind first, not a sage

Vego_Mohenjo
02.16.2017 , 11:41 AM | #5
There's a number of reasons I don't play a Shadow/Assassin.

First, I don't like the saber staff.
Second, I like playing a healer.
Third, I've played the character since beta, and I don't want to start him over.
Fifth, I don't like the short range style of the Shadow/Assassin.

Sixth, it's beside the point. Whatever character I'm playing, the Sage and Sorceror STILL won't be getting any use of their lightsaber, which is inappropriate in a Star Wars game (my opinion, shared by many, I think).

Malkosha
02.17.2017 , 06:35 PM | #6
While the Sage/Sor doesn't use the Lightsaber as an offensive weapon, they do use it defensively. Go find a MOB, attack it ... but don't kill it ... stop attacking and watch your Sage/Sor do some pretty good defensive moves with that Lightsaber.
TRS-80, Dual 5 1/2" Floppy's, 13" CGA Monitor

MortemXFive
06.07.2017 , 12:34 AM | #7
As someone who mains a Sorceror, I have to agree with Vego 110%. Even over half a year after the fact, the removal of Thrash has killed the class and largely the game itself for me. Tried to get used to just having Saber Strike and couldn't. Truly a shame, as I'd like to stay subscribed, but feel I still can't. He's absolutely right in that he's not the only player who believes it was a bad move by the devs.

ViktorAres
06.07.2017 , 02:31 PM | #8
I agree that sage animations and even sorc animations could use more variety. Throwing differently-colored balls of light, or slightly different lightning strikes at different angles is almost indistinguishable to outside observers. Give sages and sorcs saber throw, perhaps replacing one of the light/lightning shots. They can even re-use the Guardian/Jugg saber throw animation for this. Additionally, we should not have to waste a legendary utility point on the rooting saber ability, which is not very effective anyway. Give it to all sages/sorcs instead of the pointless saber strike. So that's 2 saber abilities right there, and they won't take up any additional quick bar slots. Make it happen devs.

Luuin
06.07.2017 , 08:13 PM | #9
I'm on the opposite side of the coin on this one. I'd rather my Sorcerer not even hold the lightsaber when throwing lightning around. Looks odd holding a lightsaber when using both hands to cast Force Lightning.

Think Valkorian, dude blocks lightsabers with his force powers and waves his big Force-D around with giant Force Lightning attacks. Then there's Satele Shan during the cinematic trailers against Darth Malgus. That massive force attack to crush him against a wall.

Could the animations be updated? Of course.

ViktorAres
06.08.2017 , 03:52 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Luuin View Post
I'm on the opposite side of the coin on this one. I'd rather my Sorcerer not even hold the lightsaber when throwing lightning around. Looks odd holding a lightsaber when using both hands to cast Force Lightning.

Think Valkorian, dude blocks lightsabers with his force powers and waves his big Force-D around with giant Force Lightning attacks. Then there's Satele Shan during the cinematic trailers against Darth Malgus. That massive force attack to crush him against a wall.

Could the animations be updated? Of course.
Somebody suggested optional dual-focus wielding for sorcs. Not a bad idea.
For saber-wielding sorcs, replace project/shock with saber throw and give them the rooting saber. For foci-wielding sorcs, leave shock and project in place.