Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any chance that crates will be addressed before 6.0??? They are boring and depressing

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Any chance that crates will be addressed before 6.0??? They are boring and depressing
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

WayOfTheWarriorx
05.17.2019 , 07:47 PM | #11
No chance they'll do anything with the crates before 6.0. Waste of resources.

I agree with the others who said, how things were as of 5.9 were very good with regard to gearing. I never understood why so many people were unhappy with it. I'm sure a lot of those same people who weren't happy with it wish they could have that system back.

Now ya know what they mean when they say "Becareful what you wish for, you just might get it."

Truth be told, while I have my preferences of course, there isn't a place in this game they're gonna put new BIS gear in that I'm not going to bust the door down and get at it.

I love gearing, makes everything more exciting to me. Every 6 months we should get new gear. I'm all about carrots hanging from sticks.

Darev
05.17.2019 , 07:59 PM | #12
I see the OP's point.

Gearing 248 via crates takes awhile.
Gearing 252 via Ossus takes awhile (unless you have a ton of the same class alts, then it's MUCH faster).
Gearing 258 via Ossus...well, still takes awhile, especially if you're trying to do it solo.

Since 6.0 is going to mark the end of the UC's, I'm really not worrying about it too much.
At the Star Wars Celebration Chicago Cantina event they said that with 6.0 end game gear would be easier/faster to obtain. Also, more varieties of set bonuses...which could be cool.

So, yes, from a gearing perspective, command crates are certainly obsolete.
You don't get to do it until you're level 70, and at level 70 you can start Ossus to get 252's.

Toraak
05.17.2019 , 08:02 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Darev View Post
I see the OP's point.

Gearing 248 via crates takes awhile.
Gearing 252 via Ossus takes awhile (unless you have a ton of the same class alts, then it's MUCH faster).
Gearing 258 via Ossus...well, still takes awhile, especially if you're trying to do it solo.

Since 6.0 is going to mark the end of the UC's, I'm really not worrying about it too much.
At the Star Wars Celebration Chicago Cantina event they said that with 6.0 end game gear would be easier/faster to obtain. Also, more varieties of set bonuses...which could be cool.

So, yes, from a gearing perspective, command crates are certainly obsolete.
You don't get to do it until you're level 70, and at level 70 you can start Ossus to get 252's.
You don't need a lot of alts on the same class. You can use MWS to buy 252 and 258 gear for any spec on a character. So using any alts can speed up gearing in 5.10. For the current gearing yes 5.10 did make GC obsolete, but it appears from that post I linked it's coming back in 6.0 to some degree.
Referral Link: www.swtor.com/r/Q4Tp3P

OlBuzzard
05.17.2019 , 09:20 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
Trade the components for masterwork crystals on Ossus.

Things are not gonna change for 2-3 months. It's a waste of resources. What they could do is increase the drop rate for masterwork or monumental crystals coming from the crates. It's not like it matters anymore.

Though i do care a lot about the gifts i get from it. Wouldn't be able to level up my comps without it. Also am happy when i get the augment mats every once in a while.
That or make it easier to trade in those unassembled components for the master work crystals.

Is all of that still back on the station for the fleet ?
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

JattaGin
05.17.2019 , 09:49 PM | #15
I'm a fan of GC since they tweaked it and I would appreciate some love for it, too.

The Ossus grind happens without me. Got one char to full 252. Thanks, I'm done with that.
Bioware offers a friend referal system which gives referred players a couple of goodies (incl. 7 free days of sub and a neat free 10 x inventory slot for every character) and referring players some little shinies and cartel coins.
I would be happy if you choose my referral link to grab your free goodies.

IoNonSoEVero
05.18.2019 , 01:55 AM | #16
I like the gifts and the mats that drop from the crates. Every now and then it's nice to get a new silly pet.

For gearing itself, though, the drop rate of anything of quality is abysmal. I've had characters go through 100 levels without ever getting a single gold gear item. It's almost always relics and implants that aren't even right for your character, or green junk. I've never seen a single 252 item or crystal in hundreds and hundreds of crates. Yeah, theoretically you can turn it all into UCs and exchange it for crystals, but the exchange rate is ridiculous and not worth it IMHO.

Having said that, I like the concept of the crates and being able to dissolve things for UCs. I wish they'd just tweak the drop rates somewhat.

OlBuzzard
05.18.2019 , 07:16 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
I like the gifts and the mats that drop from the crates. Every now and then it's nice to get a new silly pet.

For gearing itself, though, the drop rate of anything of quality is abysmal. I've had characters go through 100 levels without ever getting a single gold gear item. It's almost always relics and implants that aren't even right for your character, or green junk. I've never seen a single 252 item or crystal in hundreds and hundreds of crates. Yeah, theoretically you can turn it all into UCs and exchange it for crystals, but the exchange rate is ridiculous and not worth it IMHO.

Having said that, I like the concept of the crates and being able to dissolve things for UCs. I wish they'd just tweak the drop rates somewhat.
I might agree with this if the drop rate that was disintergrated into "scrap" (for lack of the appropriate term) ... didn't take an eternity to get one single part for one single character... My goodness I've done a LOT of grinding in my time (like over a period of 15 + years in 3 different games ) ... BUT YIKES !!! This one takes the cake.

IMO ... If BW wants to salvage the latest crate system:
1. Make them more relavant (as you pointed out)
2. At the VERY least it should not take an eternity to get a character / alt fleshed out.
3. That should not make all of the TOP end stuff available. THE REALLY good stuff should be limited to crafting and or OPS .. or equally tough PvP or PvE awards.
4. THE REALLY extreme super duper ..." look what I've got" drops MIGHT happen in a crate ... but RARELY.
(YEAH ... I KNOW ! I get it !)

just my own $.02 worth... (and that's probably ALL it's worth this AM)

phalczen
05.18.2019 , 06:03 PM | #18
This week's BadFeelingPodcast referenced an interview the devs did for one of the bloggers. I don't have the exact quote, but my recollection is something along the lines of "there's still going to be crates of some kind."

They did say that pvp and pve gear will stay the same and expertise is not coming back. However, they may consider Bolster up to the gear rating max, and how gear will matter/differentiate/be impactful is in the set bonuses you grind out and tactical items.

I kind of like that idea.

My (foolish?) hope is that the Spoils of War takes all the good things from every gearing system previous, including Galactic Command.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

OlBuzzard
05.18.2019 , 06:38 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
This week's BadFeelingPodcast referenced an interview the devs did for one of the bloggers. I don't have the exact quote, but my recollection is something along the lines of "there's still going to be crates of some kind."

They did say that pvp and pve gear will stay the same and expertise is not coming back. However, they may consider Bolster up to the gear rating max, and how gear will matter/differentiate/be impactful is in the set bonuses you grind out and tactical items.

My (foolish?) hope is that the Spoils of War takes all the good things from every gearing system previous, including Galactic Command.
I tend to agree with you 100% on this !

Seterade
05.18.2019 , 06:40 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post

Yikes. Well, not going to pretty it up, if this is true and they dont make wzs max bolster, it been a fun 5 years (sorta... well 2 years ago it was a fun 3 years) but I'll be gone thats for sure.

grinding pve level of time for equal gear is why this expansion failed for so much of the pvp community. I hope they dont do anything rash... it would be so easy.. wouldnt it bioware.