Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Notes on BioChem and Cybertech in Game Update 1.1

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Notes on BioChem and Cybertech in Game Update 1.1
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

lethal_ghost
01.13.2012 , 02:30 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
We plan to give all crafting and gathering professions additional and ongoing attention, yes.

It's important to remember that we launched not a month ago - we're in for the long haul. Crafting is an important part of the game and we have plans for it
I cant see no long term investment in crafting i can drop 1 pick another one up and max it out in 2 days. No skill or time is involved in crafting very easy to just go with the fotm.

sikandar
01.13.2012 , 02:31 PM | #52
I would have have preferred they enabled us BioChemists to sell the reusable med-packs. Same with the BOP Cybertech speeders.
I think I will wear pants today...maybe

Leilei
01.13.2012 , 02:31 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Vitiock View Post
Before you could level to 400 biochem, make your reuseable items, and then switch to another profession and still be able to use them while gaining the slight boost of say bis arms/belt

It depends.

Rakata ones were only BoP and did not have biochem requirement.

Reusable ones (the one you get from REing green -> blue -> purple reusable) never had a BoP but needed a specific amount of biochem level to use

AFTER PATCH

Rakata will still be BoP but will have biochem requirement

Borsig
01.13.2012 , 02:33 PM | #54
SWING goes the nerf bat....

the 400 skill thing? Yes....

level 50? yes....

The amount it heals? Nope. Half health? Find me a 50 that has 8000-9000 HP.

Here I thought Bioware would be the Anti-typical MMO dev.

Nope. same old ****, new dev team.

Grats on upholding the status quo.

Cant wait to see how much you nerfed it. I'm, guessing 33-50%.

You had how long to figure out crafting? And yet cybertechs make armor plates while armormechs make.........?

And these are the changes you feel important.

nerf away boys, nerf away. The most complex and usually best answer typically eludes the lazy.

Leipuri
01.13.2012 , 02:33 PM | #55
Your choice of profession is not supposed to be the deciding factor for participation and success in endgame content.
Then why do you add such perks to some professions? Items players craft should never be "Binds on Pickup", but instead something you trade with other players. You would save yourself from lot of hassle if everyone had access to these same items via trading.

Sir-Coffee
01.13.2012 , 02:35 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by DragoVaughn View Post
You don't seem to see the problem, you've made it worse, albeit it might be temporary, but it could be a month or longer before other crafting was brought into line. There will only be biochem on mains now. This change should wait till you sort out what to do with other professions, cause before at least we still had variety in crafting, they switched back. Now everyone will just stay biochem!
This.

Greyfeld
01.13.2012 , 02:36 PM | #57
This news just... I can't even describe how frustrated I am by this thread. Look...

BioChem crafted medical kits were too good. In fact, they were too good both in the amount of healing they provided (often more than half a character’s health) and the frequency they could be used (every 90 seconds!). This was negatively impacting the game for everyone else. We’ve seen significant chatter both in and out of game about how players not picking up the BioChem professions would be ‘stupid’ and ‘gimping themselves’. This indicates that a small number of competitive players have been denying access to high end content based on whether a player has the BioChem Crew Skill.
First off, that's what medpacs are for; they're emergency healing solutions to keep yourself alive long enough for a healer to top you off (or long enough to mop up a fight, in the case of solo content). I don't know how much you're reducing the healing, but it feels as if somebody along the line forgot the actual reason medpacs exist in the first place. And the frequency means that outside of extended boss fights, you're never going to get more than 1 use per fight, so I don't understand how this can be seen as an issue to begin with.

Cybertech grenades, especially when stacked with additional power-ups and other temporary buffs, were creating combat damage burst potential higher than we were comfortable with and caused player versus player engagements in the game to resolve faster than intended. In fact we have additional changes to classes and consumables currently in internal testing to deal with faster than anticipated kill times in player versus player combat in a future patch.
Secondly, heaven forbid somebody with a crew skill actually make use of that crew skill!! Look, if you reduce overall damage, you're effecting both pvp and pve. The grenades already have a 5 minute cooldown (making them decidedly underwhelming for anything but emergency situations in pve), so why are we seeing pvp issues effect the one redeeming factor of a crew skill that otherwise is overshadowed by commendation vendors? Seriously, if grenades in pvp are in issue, just ban them from pvp instead of making them worthless.

The design intent for the game is that your choice of crafting profession should not become a requirement or ‘gating’ mechanism for participating in competitive content (PvP) and high end endgame challenges. While we certainly want players that engage in the crafting game to reap rewards for their effort, we don’t want one or two crafting professions to become the de facto ‘must have’ choice for everyone, which is what happened here.
And here's the biggest issue I have.

Here's the thing, people don't flock to Cybertech and Biochem because they're overpowered; they flock to Cybertech and Biochem because all the other crafting skills are worthless. Commendations overshadow every other single trading skill in the game, and this is a problem that every single moderator, developer, and even the CM has been frustratingly silent about.

I understand that the developers have put a lot of work into the gear system and everything, but to put it bluntly, they need to revamp almost the entire system if they want people to use the other skills. Either that, or actually improve baseline crafted gear. Until something changes, Biochem and Cybertech are going to reign supreme, period.
<FinalWave>

trotsky_tor
01.13.2012 , 02:40 PM | #58
Just ban the reusable medpacks/adrenals/grenades from use in WZs/Ilum and reusable adrenals from Ops/FPs. Let Biochem keep the buff from the reusable stimpack in PvP.

Alternatively, give 400 biochems a passive ability that increases the duration/effectiveness of non-reusable medpacks/stims/adrenals and get rid of the reusable ones completely.

Borsig
01.13.2012 , 02:41 PM | #59
Here's the thing, people don't flock to Cybertech and Biochem because they're overpowered; they flock to Cybertech and Biochem because all the other crafting skills are worthless.

THIS.

I had armstech to 400. No one wanted anything I made at 50. Barrels from illum vendors are better. And companion weapons are free.

PVP/PVE weapons are BOUNDS better.

My statement remains. The best and most complex answers elude the lazy.

nerfing is Lazy.

Buffing and making other crew skills as useful takes thought and work.

Lazy

Lazy

Lazy.......

louisfriend
01.13.2012 , 02:43 PM | #60
play how you like.

anyone who chases FotM gets what they deserve when the nerf bat swings.

if you want biochem. take biochem. if you want to be an armorsmith. geez. relax and be an armorsmith.

THE GAME IS LESS THAN A MONTH OLD

how hard is it... for them to release raid only craft-ables? maybe some of those will be BOP only items.
Refer a Friend link: http://www.swtor.com/r/MTzhLb