Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Notes on BioChem and Cybertech in Game Update 1.1

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Notes on BioChem and Cybertech in Game Update 1.1
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Avanaco
01.13.2012 , 02:19 PM | #41
Biochem: not far enough, honestly.

Quote: Originally Posted by BBQPorkMogul View Post
Annnnnd.... Nothing has changed. Biochem is still the go to craft skill for raiding because it is the only one that actually helps.
What he said ^

But thanks for listening, at least.

photometrik
01.13.2012 , 02:19 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by SithEBM View Post
Why don't they fix the other crew skills first?
In order to raise the bar on the other crew skills, they need to find the right height in the first place. Bring Biochem and Cybertech down a notch first, then pull the other crew skills up to that very same level. At least, that is what I hope they will do.
-=The Moonstorm Legacy=- Sanctum of the Exalted
Syrril (Vanguard - Level 50) Auryllanthx (Jedi Sage - Level 29) Imoreh (Jedi Sentinel - Level 18) Brisby (Gunslinger - Level 33)

Kaffis
01.13.2012 , 02:20 PM | #43
Since you're assessing end-game utility for Crew Skills, and in particular Cybertech, can you comment on how Cybertech is meant to be relevant when level 50 dailies reward purple mods and armorings?

Grinding daily heroics = expensive (materially) crafting products for free. Really?

Vitiock
01.13.2012 , 02:23 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by McVade View Post
It does not. You're right. The problem was Biochem was granting a noticeable convenience AND mechanical advantage over every other profession. Now, it's just a convenience advantage... one which would be off-set by the fact that I'd have to dump 400 Artifice to pick it up. So, I'm no longer tempted to go Biochem and abandon the work I've put into Artifice, even if - presently - Artifice is very underwhelming at 50.

All they were trying to do is not make those two professions grant a noticable mechanical advantage. Yes, Biochem is arguably still the best, but people aren't considered stupid for not picking it up anymore or aren't gimping themselves. They're just inconveniencing themselves, which is something Bioware can live with until they bring all the other professions up to par.
I have 400 artifice also but will be switching to biochem this weekend, only takes a day or 2 to be back at 400 (i've been on the fence because I knew a nerf was coming but didn't think it would be this light), what does 400 artifice actually offer you at level 50, after you can run hard modes?

photometrik
01.13.2012 , 02:25 PM | #45
I feel quite stupid here as a 400 Biochemist (recently hit cap in the past couple of days, but haven't put much thought into it yet), but can someone clarify something for me?

So reusable med packs were previously BOP and now requires Biochem 400? I'm trying to figure out how this is any different unless simply creating the item doesn't mean that it bound to you.

Based on what I've been able to decipher, creating the item used to bind it to you? Now it's not bound, but you still need Biochem 400 to use it? Am I right?
Syrril (Vanguard - Level 50) Auryllanthx (Jedi Sage - Level 29) Imoreh (Jedi Sentinel - Level 18) Brisby (Gunslinger - Level 33)

Vitiock
01.13.2012 , 02:26 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by photometrik View Post
I feel quite stupid here as a 400 Biochemist (recently hit cap in the past couple of days, but haven't put much thought into it yet), but can someone clarify something for me?

So reusable med packs were previously BOP and now requires Biochem 400? I'm trying to figure out how this is any different unless simply creating the item doesn't mean that it bound to you.

Based on what I've been able to decipher, creating the item used to bind it to you? Now it's not bound, but you still need Biochem 400 to use it? Am I right?
Before you could level to 400 biochem, make your reuseable items, and then switch to another profession and still be able to use them while gaining the slight boost of say bis arms/belt

Wallach
01.13.2012 , 02:27 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by photometrik View Post

You are correct, they require 400 Biochem to use, but you could make one and sell it to another Biochemist if they didn't have the schematic or materials to make their own.

I am not really clear on what they expected to accomplish with the overall changes except to ensure that all PvE end-game players are going to go back to Biochem. They don't really have a choice now.

photometrik
01.13.2012 , 02:27 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Vitiock View Post
Before you could level to 400 biochem, make your reuseable items, and then switch to another profession and still be able to use them while gaining the slight boost of say bis arms/belt
Aaaaah, that makes sense then. I'm sorry for being slow today...I've kinda felt miserable with fatigue and allergies, so I'm not thinking too clearly. To be honest, I like that idea.

DragoVaughn
01.13.2012 , 02:28 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
We plan to give all crafting and gathering professions additional and ongoing attention, yes.

It's important to remember that we launched not a month ago - we're in for the long haul. Crafting is an important part of the game and we have plans for it
You don't seem to see the problem, you've made it worse, albeit it might be temporary, but it could be a month or longer before other crafting was brought into line. There will only be biochem on mains now. This change should wait till you sort out what to do with other professions, cause before at least we still had variety in crafting, they switched back. Now everyone will just stay biochem!

Qhue
01.13.2012 , 02:30 PM | #50
You do realize that there are ZERO Artifice recipes that drop in Operations right? None. Zilch.

Biochem gets unlimited Stims and medpacks making it the only choice for people doing Operation content. There is nothing I can make or do with Artifice that even is attractive to people in my guild. The best item I can make (one of the 48 different purple enhancements) is just the same item you can get with 1 daily quest on Ilum and many levels below the quality of enhancements that come from operations or PVP gear. People who want to tailor their Operation-gained items do so by... doing PVP and then removing those enhancements for use in their Tionese or Columi gear or by taking the enhancements from excess armor from a slightly different spec turn in.

Who on earth decided that launching with Crew Skills in this state was a good idea? It takes less than 60 seconds of looking at the available items and complete elimination of entire Crew Skills from end game content to realize that the system was not ready for launch. Good grief the Bind on Pickup items that Artificers can make are some of the WORST relics in the entire game.

Setting the Biochem stuff to need 400 skill does nothing. It just means that people who dropped Biochem have to pick it back up again instead of just using that slot for money making Crew Skills. Being one month post launch is no excuse for shoddy work.