CURRENT guide for Guardian/Jugg tank

Chasaskan

I want to develop a Guardian tank, and my friend/guildie is searching for a guide for her Guardian tank, but there is none to be found.

Guardian can't suck that bad as tanks, and not all tanks are shadows/assassins. There has to be something out there.

I've looked on Dulfy. Last one is 4.0 so that is trash. I've looked on Vulkk. There's only DPS guides there.

There just has to be a Guardian tank that knows his/her stuff!!

Utilities, rotation, and gear information and so on.

Any specific questions? I don't write guides because I find that it is more useful to learn via trial and error, and stuff like utilities are very personal (what I take for utilities is pretty different than what i have seen others recommending).

That said, I've played guardian tanks in this game since pre-2.0 and have done some decently challenging stuff with it, so any questions feel free to ask or pm.

I want to develop a Guardian tank, and my friend/guildie is searching for a guide for her Guardian tank, but there is none to be found.

Guardian can't suck that bad as tanks, and not all tanks are shadows/assassins. There has to be something out there.

I've looked on Dulfy. Last one is 4.0 so that is trash. I've looked on Vulkk. There's only DPS guides there.

There just has to be a Guardian tank that knows his/her stuff!!

Utilities, rotation, and gear information and so on.

You have a very warped mindsets here and seem to think only Shadow tanks are viable lol. I have cleared pretty much every boss in the game as Vanguard, Guardian and Shadow. What do you want to know about guardian specifically ?

I got a question regarding gear. What numbers should i aim for when it comes to deff, absorb and sheild?

Would be good to get both pvp and pve numbers.

Im talking about 258

For 258 tank gearing is rather difficult. Depending on what you do, I would honestly recommend just skipping it for a tank.

I go with tank armorings, lethal b mods, and bulwark/bastion enhancements with shield/absorb augments. This setup is literally impossible with 258 as you cannot get the b mods or high endurance enhancements (most of mine are crafted 246). If you have to have 258, i guess I would do lethal (dps) mods with tank armorings and enhancements, and of course shoeld absorb augs. This requires you to farm 2 sets, however. Unless you are doing MM gods (and probably even then but Idk because I refuse to do gods now) 248/6 gear with 228 augs is fine, though I do recommend 236 augs if you can afford them because the endurance is nice.

Numbers wise def ends up around 2k (just let it fall where it will, you'll have more than needed anyway), and I personally just keep shield and absorb close together, slightly favoring shield.

For pvp, you can drop the shield/absorb for crit/alacrity. I recommend doing this if you are tanking in a solo queue situation. I usually run my tank gear but I also bring my healer (frankly, if I don't have my healer, I'm just going to run dps and actually kill things).

Here is a question... does Legacy Gear work with the set bonuses?

I am trying to skank and Legacy gear seems to nullify any set bonuses. Am I missing something here?

Yes you can legacy set bonuses, but theres a thing where it won't appear when you initially pull it out of your cargo hold. It still works (and reappears when you change instances, i think)

• 2 weeks later...
Just a bump...

Has anyone seen a new guide?

Again i don't do guides as i feel learning via experience is both more useful and simply better than trying to copy someone else, but if you have any questions, I will attempt to assist.

• 3 weeks later...
Again i don't do guides as i feel learning via experience is both more useful and simply better than trying to copy someone else, but if you have any questions, I will attempt to assist.

As a returning player, who raids in every game he plays, I 100% agree with learning via experience, but there needs to be some common starting point. Nearly every group I join to try to do stuff just says go read a guide first.

@OP

There are useful 'outdated' guides on google. Just because the numbers are different in 258 vs 230 doesn't make the reasoning for priority different.

As a returning player, who raids in every game he plays, I 100% agree with learning via experience, but there needs to be some common starting point. Nearly every group I join to try to do stuff just says go read a guide first.

If someone asks general questions I'll happily answer them. As much ridicule as I've faced from this forum, however, I'm not going to devote my limited off time to guide writing just to get told I'm not good enough to write a beginning tanking guide since I'm not a NiM brontes raider or top 3 ranked PvPer.

You want me to hold your hand through your first raid in game, I'll do that too if the time works out. I have a guardian tank on all 3 english servers.

I just don't write guides 99% of them involve information that could be garnered from tooltips, and most of the rest is heavily playstyle and preference based.

If someone asks general questions I'll happily answer them. As much ridicule as I've faced from this forum, however, I'm not going to devote my limited off time to guide writing just to get told I'm not good enough to write a beginning tanking guide since I'm not a NiM brontes raider or top 3 ranked PvPer.

You want me to hold your hand through your first raid in game, I'll do that too if the time works out. I have a guardian tank on all 3 english servers.

I just don't write guides 99% of them involve information that could be garnered from tooltips, and most of the rest is heavily playstyle and preference based.

Not sure why no one is asking questions since you're so kindly offering answers — I'll be the first to ask a couple of general questions then!

1) I can understand that certain boss fights benefit much more from certain niche utilities — what are two generally good utility point setups for 1) flashpoints and 2) story content?

2) What is the general single target and AoE opener and rotation (or priority)?

I play an Immortal Juggernaut; also a returning player.

Not sure why no one is asking questions since you're so kindly offering answers — I'll be the first to ask a couple of general questions then!

1) I can understand that certain boss fights benefit much more from certain niche utilities — what are two generally good utility point setups for 1) flashpoints and 2) story content?

The one utility I would call absolutely mandatory is longer/high threat reflect. As far as my setup for PvE:

Tier 1: I go for cc break heal, higher damage on cyclone slash, and aoe focus generation. None are particularly mandatory, and especially in non-aoe fights, swap the cyclone slash damage for something else (notable mention to the leap cd reduction and/or combat focus movement buff)

Tier 2: I go for aoe taunt absorption (my buddy and I checked, the bug was fixed as of a while ago, anyway), force stasis cd reduction, and leap resets interrupt. Again none are terribly mandatory

Tier 3: I only bother with the focused defense CD reduction, honorable mention to enure self cleanse however, as i do take it on certain fights where it can be useful.

Tier 4 is the mandatory reflect improvements. Honorable mention to guardian leap improvements, wasting a point on freezing force dot isnt worth it since the nerf.

2) What is the general single target and AoE opener and rotation (or priority)?

I play an Immortal Juggernaut; also a returning player.

For aoe it's rather simple, if dependent on the status of the buff from warding call. If this buff is up, leap/combat focus and guardian slash --> force sweep --> cyclone slash --> warding strike when low on focus OR the buff is about to fall off. Taunting (and reflect, which with the utility is high threat on everything) as necessary.

Without the buff, you need to use the first warding strike within a taunt window: leap --> sweep --> cyclone slash once or twice --> aoe taunt --> warding strike --> guardian slash. Again reflect with utility is a huge benefit here.

Single target: leap + combat focus --> guardian slash + riposte --> hilt bash --> blade storm --> sweep --> taunt --> warding strike --> whatever master strike is now (blade barrage?) --> guardian slash + riposte --> blade storm --> aoe taunt

Note that saber throw should only be used to open when you want the boss to move to you. Leap OR throw, not both.

My general order of priority is:

Riposte

Guardian slash

Hilt bash

Blade storm

Force sweep

Dispatch (as avaliable)

Master strike (again, blade barrage?)

Throw

Slash

Stasis

Push

Strike

Riposte and blade storm give you important buffs you should try to keep up as much as possible, and sweep debuffs the boss (but it's a very long debuff, very easy to keep up). Warding strike, as mentioned, turns guardian slash into an aoe.

Hope this helps and I'm sure someone will be along to point out whatever I've forgotten in this off the top of my head analysis.

• 2 weeks later...

For pvp, you can drop the shield/absorb for crit/alacrity. I recommend doing this if you are tanking in a solo queue situation. I usually run my tank gear but I also bring my healer (frankly, if I don't have my healer, I'm just going to run dps and actually kill things).

For PvP, when you replace shield/absorb-enhancements with crit/alacrity, what do you aim for each numberwise;

and would it be a good idea to also use crit/alacrity-augments for a PvP-Setup for a tank-Jugg?

And how about mastery-augmentations?

Edited by Sephira

For PvP, when you replace shield/absorb-enhancements with crit/alacrity, what do you aim for each numberwise;

and would it be a good idea to also use crit/alacrity-augments for a PvP-Setup for a tank-Jugg?

And how about mastery-augmentations?

I go alacrity to the 703ish cutoff and then rest into crit for my pvp set. Crit/alac augments are perfectly viable - as I said alac to 703, then if you manage to get crit to 1800 or so drop it for mastery. Note that, because I generally queue with a healer buddy when I'm tanking, I normally gear with endurance augments (I'm also too lazy and cheap to go for the 236 augments in my pvp skank set). The advice given here is assuming you are solo queueing, and might need to actually be able to kill something.

I go alacrity to the 703ish cutoff and then rest into crit for my pvp set. Crit/alac augments are perfectly viable - as I said alac to 703, then if you manage to get crit to 1800 or so drop it for mastery. Note that, because I generally queue with a healer buddy when I'm tanking, I normally gear with endurance augments (I'm also too lazy and cheap to go for the 236 augments in my pvp skank set). The advice given here is assuming you are solo queueing, and might need to actually be able to kill something.

I am about to try it out and in the near future I will tell how it works.

Thx for all the hints KendraP, I appreciate it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you don't mind me asking, which Augments do you use?

I'm a returning player after almost 2 years of absence and I need to refit everything, so I'm trying to figure out which augments I should get.

Also - does the preferred Lightsaber crystal is still +Endurance or should I go with primary Mastery? (I understand they changed the whole stats mechanics)

Appreciate your reponse regarding Defense/Shield/Absorb

Many thanks :)

If you don't mind me asking, which Augments do you use?

I'm a returning player after almost 2 years of absence and I need to refit everything, so I'm trying to figure out which augments I should get.

shield/absorb augments. I have one toon that's got the 236 but the rest are all 228 rating ones. I personally cant be bothered for the tiny upgrade to 240. The big advantage to 236/240 is that they added endurance to them. If you have a lot of mats/credits lying around, it might be worth the upgrade; otherwise, with 6.0 and new gear coming anyway, why bother with anything greater than 228?

My stat balance is to simply keep shield slightly greater than absorb, exact numbers depend on your enhancements.

Also - does the preferred Lightsaber crystal is still +Endurance or should I go with primary Mastery? (I understand they changed the whole stats mechanics)

Appreciate your reponse regarding Defense/Shield/Absorb

Many thanks :)

I go with endurance, personally, but which crystal you have is hardly the make it or break it point.

Edited by KendraP

• 2 weeks later...

@KendraP

I've been reading most of the comments here, yours specificly as I've been away a while from the game and I want to dust off my jugg. Just so if I have understood you correctly but feel free to correct anything here:

Before I say more this question is focused on PvP. Here goes:

DPS

I go with regular setup like around 1800 crit, 703 ala and rest mastery and dps offhand generator (Focus)

Standard versatile armorings, unlettered mods and enchancements as you need to get your targeted numbers

Same goes with augments to fill your needs

SKANK

Here I go with Endurance armorings (resistive?), B lettered mods (endurance), crit/ala enhancements

Offhand should be a "shield" for the extra % def and ala/crit augs (or some mastery left overs)

So basicly asking your knowledge in this. Btw I am also the same when it comes to the rotations, utilities and all that. I prefer learn it myself and get some muscle memory then go mimicing all the info on some guide/video

Or is it perhaps just better overall just to stick with the DPS setup nowdays, depending if you have a (pocket) healer backing you up? Maybe PT is in a good spot now as skanks? But I know you're very biased to Guardian so I guess I know the answer to that already. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Grammar and typos.

Edited by vXCozmoz

• 1 month later...
Why do I need DPS mods in my tank set? I don't understand this nonsense I'm not a DPS

It's not like you absolutely need DPS mods. It's that Defense mods are bad. There is way too much defense on gear, and after 2-2.5k defense rating it's basically a total waste. If you gather all the defense rating you can, you get over 4k defense.. Way, way too much. You can run even less defense than 2k and still be fine, it's one of the most meaningless mitigation sources for a tank. Shield Chance, Damage Reduction and active DCDs is what mitigates most of the damage.

So, what is ideal for a tank is to drop most or all the Warding mods and grab Lethal mods. The extra power you get will help with aggro generation, will help with group's overall DPS. It's not mandatory but it's nice to have. I'd say it's one of the last things you should be getting when you are gearing your tank, though.

If you do have issues with DPS checks in your group, first thing to look at is what the hell are the DPS players doing. Or if healers are throwing in some DPS skills during healing downtime. Tank is the last one to look at when you are searching for extra DPS (unless there is something to reflect, hehe).

Long story short - you will be fine with full defense gear, in most cases. But if you want to deliver the most optimal performance, you will have to get Lethal Mods.