Light side Sith Warrior - does it get any more believable?

ZakMorgan

My first Sith was persuaded to the light side in the oasis on Tatooine. My second one will not be so easily unnerved. I have devoted him to a life of rage, anger, lust, treachery, murder, gluttony, narcissism and all the other Sith vices. The only light side choices I made were to save Tremmel, Rathari, and the soldiers on Nar Shaddaa. Everyone else, everything else, will burn.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, following both the Dark Side and the Light Side is a fulfillment of the Sith Code.

Why? Because at the end of the Code it says that the Force shall set you free.

If you're free to utilize both sides, then you are free to do what you wish and are not bound by either Dark nor Light Sides.

I found the light side sith warrior to be extremely brutal in manipulating the enemy. Dark side was always the same dumb choice. Blah blah blah (Attack/Kill). Light side was full of blackmail so the people you spared show up three quests later and die anyway. Or you show 'mercy' by turning them into slaves... And they thank you for it. That was just with the generic or imperial foes. The Jedi, they go into complete tizzy fits and lose all faith in their order when confronted by a light side sith. Why do you exist? How do you exist? Why are you better than me?

Dark side is a generic psychopath.

Light side is like playing a heroic Hitler.

I enjoyed the Dark side choices for what they were: An opportunity to be a murdering brute without fear of repercussion. It's fun to be bad. The constant complaining that being a murderer in this game isn't stylish enough, whiffs of self-delusion. What's stylish about killing and dominating other people? You're doing it just to be a dick, not to serve some grandiose agenda. Yeesh.

• 4 weeks later...
Light side - "theres no need for violence, the Empire can be merciful"

My problem is with the light side option, I mean it just isnt realistic whatsoever; the empire is built on virtues of violence, conquest and darwinistic ascendancy to power.

Having played both DS and LS SW, I would have to say that I disagree with this sentiment. Yes, that is the perception of the Sith in general but it is not an absolute rule. History has shown that subtle manipulation as opposed to wanton violence is often the more effective path to personal power (as well as staying alive long enough to get to your goal). That's what the LS "merciful" options strike me as, that I'm keeping them alive for a reason or purpose. After all, a dead former adversary is no good as a source of information and he/she certainly can't be called on later to repay the debt. Ascension via the use of brain as opposed to brawn actually fit better into the Darwinism narrative when you think about it..

One last note. In my opinion, light versus dark is not always the same as good versus evil. When you view these in-game decisions through that perspective, the LS SW choices make perfect sense.

Edited by Oneirophrenia

There is no dark side or light side. There is just The Force.

A being may be dark or light, but The Force that he or she draws upon is the same for everyone.

The Force is created by all living things. It surrounds and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together. Midi-chlorians are also neither dark nor light. They are beings that live inside living cells and provide access for their host being to The Force.

As a general observation, I find the Dark Side choices to be extremely shortsighted. I could kill a Sith Lord because he's in my way, or I could bind him to me in such a way that he feels bound to serve me when I have need. Also, in general, I don't find fear to be as useful of a motivator as loyalty.

If you are captured, a minion who fears you may pause to see what happens to you before deciding to act. On the other hand a loyal henchman will move heaven and earth to free the person to whom he owes his life.

When it comes to the LS Warrior choices, I don't see my juggernaut as a "pansy". He simply doesn't see a reason to waste resources (whether that is his own time/energy or the potential of the person he's choosing to spare). He has a longer planning horizon and sees the connections to his actions rather than simply slicing someone in half because he's mad.

• 4 weeks later...
There is no dark side or light side. There is just The Force.

A being may be dark or light, but The Force that he or she draws upon is the same for everyone.

The Force is created by all living things. It surrounds and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together. Midi-chlorians are also neither dark nor light. They are beings that live inside living cells and provide access for their host being to The Force.

Did you just mention Midi-chlorians in a not phantom menace thread?

As a general observation, I find the Dark Side choices to be extremely shortsighted.

When it comes to the LS Warrior choices, I don't see my juggernaut as a "pansy". He simply doesn't see a reason to waste resources .

This, really. You're not "nice" if you're a Light side warrior, you're smart. Sometimes also honorable, which tends to throw the Reps for a spin since they never expected it from you. Waste not, want not.

Sure, a base full of dead bodies is a message. But a base half full of dead bodies from which you let the rest escape is also a message - you're so far beneath me that I won't even bother to kill you all unless you insist. An enemy who knows he can surrender and probably live is an enemy that much more likely to actually surrender when given the opportunity. People backed into a corner with no way out tend to do desperate things like run at you with thermal detonators.

• 4 months later...

Well,

There's one thing I can say : Force Choke !!

Let me tell you this.Chapter 3 (Last Mission) doesn't make any sense if you choose the LS Option,you/and every Goody-Two-Shoes will notice this once they get there.Imagine a Soldier in War,standing in front of an Enemy (Who's willing and ready to kill you)

LS : 'Wait,can't we talk about it?I don't wanna kill you (REALLY!? Guy pointing a Gun at you .....)'

DS : *Pulls the Trigger* . (Yes,it's Sad it came to this,but Imagine HOW MANY MORE HE COULD'VE KILLED! )

Another point (to those who say 'LS makes perfect sense').So,you're chasing a Guy/Girl w.e over 3-4 Planets,just to spare him?How does that make any sense?A Jedi can sense People's true nature,he would sense you're a 'Goody-Two-Shoes' and not a 'Brutal-Psychopath',so he/she got NO REASON TO RUN/HIDE!!!!!

^Not really a Spoiler,but inb4 'OMG! You Spoiling little Brat,Fck off!'.

DS,doesn't mean you're a Psychopath,simply means you're not afraid to get things down.I mean,every Military Guy is a Psychopath? because he's protecting he's Country? ...

Edited by ahzecklawd

I started my SW leaning towards LS but quickly gave up and went DS.

LS choices feel just awkward, out of place. When you choose to spare someone all you really get is a confused look and a line like "wow, I never knew a Sith could be merciful".

To spite Baras? When he hears about your carebearness all he does is shrug and say "whatever. You're still my walking weapon of mass destruction". And that's the truth: no matter what you do you will always be perceived by NPCs as Death incarnate, the destroyer of worlds. Regardless of the fact that in private you are just a soft-hearted pansy.

EDIT: plus, turning Jaesa to the dark side is just awesome. To rub the Jedi's utter failure on their self-righteous faces, stealing their most prized student right from under their noses...

Edited by JFoxstride

DS,doesn't mean you're a Psychopath,simply means you're not afraid to get things down.I mean,every Military Guy is a Psychopath? because he's protecting he's Country? ...

No and in this game you aren't either. The equivalent to a man in the military is the same as when you slaughter npcs to get to your objective. These npcs can't be reasoned with. They attack you. You are forced to kill them.

In the military if your team surrounds the military commander? You ARE expected to bring the guy in. There's many reasons for this. The big one is that he might have information that is necessary.

Going "I found you. I'm going to relish watching you die." then put a few holes into him? Is psychopathic and will likely end with a court martial or worse. Especially when he's begging for mercy, willing to make his men stand down, and wishing to surrender.

So I've been wanting to level a melee tank and went and picked a SW over a JK because -

a) I prefer the aesthetics of the Empire

b) I don't like the robotic, naive nature of the Jedi

c) My main is a 50 Sniper, so I figured I'd be able to support an Empire alt alot easier than a Republic one.

The thing is I always tend to play my characters light side, and although this has worked nicely for my IA, its been a little awkward for my SW. I mean I was hoping to play a philosophical Sith, curious for knowledge into the Dark Side while remaining respectul towards loyal Imperial servants, not some homicidal psychopath wanting to kill anything with a pulse. However I just end up looking like some incompetent, carebear pansy who's an embarrassment to Darth Baras....I mean I might as well have Benny Hill music playing in the background the whole time.

Bear in mind I'm only at Balmorra so far, I'm just curious as to whether the light side options feel less awkward later in the game, or should I just suck up my pride and level a greyish Jedi?

TL;DR - playing a LS sith warrior and finding the decisions a little forced and out of place, does it get more believable after Balmorra?

You gotta think tho, what's the one thing the Jedi do most? Kill Sith. Regardless, they won't even give them a chance. The "Dark" side of the Force is too much for them lighthearted Jedi. If you look at it, the bad guys in the Star Wars universe are really the Jedi.

• 7 months later...
Bingo.

The smartest thing a player can do if they actually want to enjoy the story is turn off the light/dark side display. Pick the choice you want to pick; do not be a slave to the white sun or the red triangle. I feel sorry for anyone who is 100% anything, because deep down they are missing out on the story they want, just so they can play the story that was handed to them.

If you find you enjoy light side (or dark side) decisions, pause for a moment to ask yourself why you enjoy those decisions. Do you enjoy them because a little symbol and number pops up at the bottom of the screen, or do you enjoy them because they seem like what your character would do and they make for a better story? When you see the decision that your character would do, do it. It will make the whole game more fun. Don't spare the guy that you really want to kill (or murder the guy you'd really rather spare) just because it gets you the right little symbol; do what you really want to do and don't let the game boss you around.

Any negative affection hit from a conversation can be mended just by throwing a few more gifts at them; you can always go back and metagame that penalty away later to get your Legacy bonuses.

Any opposite alignment hit from a conversation can be mended by running lowbie flashpoints or just using Diplomacy; you can always go back and metagame that penalty away later to get what you need for your relic.

Your Class and Planetary Missions can only be run ONE time on each character. You only get one chance to get it right. If you do something you don't enjoy just to get the right "points", the entire story suffers for it and becomes less fun. Don't throw away your one chance to sass Darth Baras, boink Vette's sister, or turn Jaesa into the Padawan that you want her to be, just so that you can avoid buying a few extra gifts and running Black Talon a few extra times. You can clean up the numbers when you're 55, but on the journey, do not let anything ever tempt you into hitting that Escape button.

Does the Light Side Sith Warrior work? Sure does. I've got a Juggernaut who ended up at Light III when he reached 55. Played him in a sort of Kill Bill capacity, a person who fights with honor and respects a good warrior, who takes no pleasure in killing civilians or helpless people, who wants to meet his opponants face to face. That samurai code Sith Warrior netted me Light Side probably 3/4 of the time. But it was still peppered with Dark choices here and there, in particular when the Light side seemed just too cowardly or weak.

My Marauder ended up Dark IV. Dark side worked too, by making him more selfish, arrogant, and manipulative. Willing to stoop to any depravity in order to win, but not doing flatly stupid things that just had no reason.

The stories aren't designed to be played "Pure". Qui-Gon took Dark Side points when he abandoned the other Jedi in order to escape with Obi-Wan. Yoda took Dark Side points when he tells Luke to let his friends and sister die so that he can continue his training. Vader took Light Side when he convinces Palpatine that Luke could be turned instead of just killed. The world is not black and white, but varying degrees of grey.

Play the story you want. You are the boss, not the white sun or red triangle.

Wow! You really nailed it. I couldn't but realize how right you are about that, as I have been doing that very mistake. So I rolled a new SW (I wasn't far in the story anyway) and I must say I have been having so much fun playing that way. Actually I feel like I'm playing for the very first time, while before I was sort of just "playing just a part". So I want to thank you for that !

About spare-or-kill choices. For me it's like: are you enough powerful to allow yourself to not kill, or you too weak and too afraid of retaliation?

That only my opinion, so for me Sith Warrior LS is just what I was expecting when was thinking that SWTOR will be like KotOR.

Another point (to those who say 'LS makes perfect sense').So,you're chasing a Guy/Girl w.e over 3-4 Planets,just to spare him?How does that make any sense?A Jedi can sense People's true nature,he would sense you're a 'Goody-Two-Shoes' and not a 'Brutal-Psychopath',so he/she got NO REASON TO RUN/HIDE!!!!!

^Not really a Spoiler,but inb4 'OMG! You Spoiling little Brat,Fck off!'.

Actually she can only feel your nature only when she can see you. But Jedi Master (Who was arrogant idiot, who was too weak and give himself to DS) said that you are DS and he LS. Padawan believed him...

..Basically, LS Sith Warrior the one who meets the stereotype "Sith can be only evil!!" and you basically can follow him or try to break him.*

Going to fire up a new LS male SW to romance Vette.

I like the LS choices. Playing my IA light side, while my SI is purely DS

The way I rationalize LS choices as a SW, is that of the noble demon trope. Heck, to me, picking LS choices makes the warrior more sane and level headed than the standard Sith "ME SMASH" Hulk mentality

I enjoyed playing a light sight female sith warrior. I thought the reactions were hilarious. But if your not looking for a good fun romp and stomp sprinkled with a little campiness, then maybe you should avoid the light side Sith warrior.

For me, it was easily my favorite story line.

(On a side note- the voice actor for the light side smuggler drove me nuts- i just couldnt handle it).

Darkside Jedi Couns is worse, it makes no sense at all...

My Shadow mostly picked DS choices. To be fair, he is a well-intentioned extremist who is determined to win the war at all cost, even if that means bloodying his hands and going against the Jedi Code. Every imperial that he kills is one less imperial he has to fight later.

The best way to enjoy the story is by turning off the alignment and pick the option that makes most sense to you (or your character's personality, if you roleplay). Not every LS choice makes sense either; a mission from Taris that I vividly remember most has you choosing between saving a NPC, or a datacron that contains cure for a deadly disease. Many would be tempted to save the NPC (LS choice) but logically speaking saving the datacron would be more beneficial in the long run. Just one example that sticking 100% to an alignment may not be the best approach story-wise.

• 2 weeks later...

Spoiler alert! Movie canon from episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

You have been warned!

"I hope so, commander, for your sake. The emperor is not as forgiving as I am..."

Even sith can spare lives as long as that life is still useful. Evil Darth Vader, ("A master of evil") can show compasion.

Luke even feels the good in vader...

"Your thoughts betray you, father. I feel the good in you, the conflict"

The best light side story is the Jedi knight, best dark side is the Sith warrior.

They are both my favorite two stories in the game with the knight as my favorite as it is the most epic and star wars feeling.

I have never played a LS sith but dont think i could because its so fun choking people.

• 3 months later...
The best light side story is the Jedi knight, best dark side is the Sith warrior.

They are both my favorite two stories in the game with the knight as my favorite as it is the most epic and star wars feeling.

I have never played a LS sith but dont think i could because its so fun choking people.

Depending on how you play them, LS sith actually are lots funnier to play than DS jedi.

Sith become a bit of grey users under it. They still strongly believe in channeling your emotions, but can have control. a "Patriot" would also be some light side options.

Inq spoiler

The inquisitor title change depending on your alignment at end story. Light side Inquisitor become Darth Imperius, due to their shown loyalty to the empire, while Dark Side become Darth Nox, for being dark as can be :p

As with most thing, don't go mindlessly LS or DS. Sometimes those are the best playthrough, however I,ll say DS warrior can be quite fun. Chapter 1 is a bit strange as LS I'll give you that tough.

Darth Marr is a good exemple of what a "light" Sith Warrior could be. Very much a Sith, but not a psychopath.

The problem is that Bioware confuses Darkside and Lightside with Renegade and Paragon.

A pragmatical outlook like Darth Marr could still be, Lore wise, very darksided. Marr was so scarred by the darkside, that simply looking at his face made an Imperial Moff kill himself. He wears the mask for a reason.

However, with Lightside being Paragon, it really, really messes with that.

I would say, for lore reasons, keep your character around Dark 2-3 to get the eyes. Role play wise however, only Darksided Sith make any sense at all.