Bioware, Early Access Was a Horrible Idea

Slicksteezin

And my reasoning is not because i'm fusterated that i didn't make the decision to get early access like many people did. I deliberately chose not to pre-order during early access simply because at that time there was close to zero information on the expansion and what it contained, and i felt dropping $$ on something i knew nothing about could be a bad idea.

So, why do i think this early access situation was a horrible decision?

This 5 day period of essentially splitting the community into two groups has provoked a ridiculous ammount of spoilers. After all SWTOR is considered a "story MMO". Regardless of what measures you take to avoid any type of spoilers on what the makeb storyline and other expansion features have to offer, It's gonna happen. Guild chat, General chat, Youtube videos, forum posts - you name it. It suprises me you didn't think this one through.

Not only a first expansion, but an expansion that many would agree is the crucial update for the state of SWTOR and it's future. Wouldn't you want the player base to experience Makeb's storyline and new features as a whole rather than implementing these "bang for your buck" deals? Don't get me wrong, everything i have heard about this expansion looks and sounds awesome. I'm not complaining about that at all. And i'm looking forward to playing it.

All i'm saying is, in my opinion, reconsider the after-effects when you do things like this. I feel like myself and a lot of other players will be going into Makeb with less enthusiasm as we could be.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

... Seriously. What are you on? It's split the community? WTH. What community was split? Are the early accessors at war with the free to plays? DO YOU UNDERSTAND HOW A BUSINESS FOR PROFIT WORKS? It's a video game. It has no bearing on real life. You are imagining all of this.

Oh you wanna talk how spoilers ruined the expac for you? I had the Sith Warrior story spoiled during the Beta. I barely stepped out of the little enclave that starts the Jedi Knight story when the words "LOL ORGUS DIN BITES IT AT THE END OF PART ONE!"

Yeah we all dealt with that. If you don't like spoilers, do like the rest of the world does with films and television shows: AVOID BEING IN THE PLACE WHERE JERKS SPOIL THINGS. And yes, that includes taking a week off the game. It's spring. Go outside and do something.

Edited by Darth_Moonshadow

When will people finally comprehend that these forums are for communicating with the community and not with BW?

If you have something to say to BW then send them an e-mail, otherwise draft your title as "Early Access Was a Horrible Idea" instead of "Bioware, Early Access Was a Horrible Idea".

I think 5 days was a little too much, but I don't see any issue with it otherwise. I think it is possibly worse for guildies who are already on Makeb/L55: new ops on hold till all have access to the content, unable to chat about the new content on comms/in guild chat etc (assuming you're in a guild that considers all its members).

This time next week it will be something of a non-issue, but a week is a long time in gaming terms :p

I love all this justification people are coming out with to feed their own self-entitled agendas.

There is no split in the community. People knew what was coming from the PTS, and if you could avoid spoilers then, you can probably do it now.

Next, people will start a petition to permanently close the PTS, so that there can never be spoilers.

Oh, wait, the developers gave out some spoilers with their blogs and videos.

Maybe we should close down Bioware too?

Then, we all blindfold ourselves and sit in a sensory deprivation chamber, so that everything that happens to us from now on will be a surprise!

Oh, wait.....

And my reasoning is not because i'm fusterated that i didn't make the decision to get early access like many people did. I deliberately chose not to pre-order during early access simply because at that time there was close to zero information on the expansion and what it contained, and i felt dropping $$ on something i knew nothing about could be a bad idea.

This 5 day period of essentially splitting the community into two groups has provoked a ridiculous ammount of spoilers. After all SWTOR is considered a "story MMO". Regardless of what measures you take to avoid any type of spoilers on what the makeb storyline and other expansion features have to offer, It's gonna happen. Guild chat, General chat, Youtube videos, forum posts - you name it. It suprises me you didn't think this one through.

Not only a first expansion, but an expansion that many would agree is the crucial update for the state of SWTOR and it's future. Wouldn't you want the player base to experience Makeb's storyline and new features as a whole rather than implementing these "bang for your buck" deals? Don't get me wrong, everything i have heard about this expansion looks and sounds awesome. I'm not complaining about that at all. And i'm looking forward to playing it.

All i'm saying is, in my opinion, reconsider the after-effects when you do things like this. I feel like myself and a lot of other players will be going into Makeb with less enthusiasm as we could be.

the community survived early access at launch it'll survive this

I had the same info you did, I took a gamble, and it paid off, I love the early access. Stop griping just because you were too conservative on this occasion, remember those of us who preordered have been reading threads saying we were idiots who paid for everybody to get, we didn't complain (I didn't), now we have five days of early access, next time have some faith.

Early access was a reward to those people who took the risk and bought the new content when there was no information regarding content, game changes nor release date.

Early purchase of the content helped fund its development and expedite its release.

The offer was made to everyone.

Some chose to take it and others chose not to.

Whoever chose not to make the purchase before the 7th January implicitly agreed to not be given early access to the new content.

Whoever purchased the new content before the deadline did so on the understanding that they would be given 5 days early access.

No one was forced into taking either path.

In any case the release date fast approaches and in the meantime there will have been 5 days of play testing by the early purchasers that will hopefully make the full launch date run more smoothly.

it was 10 dollars, even if it turned out to be a flop its not like you would have paid up a days worth of work.

seriously, this is just another butthurt person that regrets not purchasing it.

watch, you and everyone else who posted a thread about complaining about the early access are going to feel so stupid, because the 5 days made NO DIFFERENCE.

i swear threads like this just shows the bratty nature of some of these immature subs that want to be coddled, and handed things on a silver platter embroidered with diamonds.

i swear threads like this just shows the bratty nature of some of these immature subs that want to be coddled, and handed things on a silver platter embroidered with diamonds.

True.

I bet they're the type of people whom having decided not to purchase an ice cream when the seller passes by complain about it once they've gone and they can see that other people have one.

Mind you, they'd probably complain that the ice cream was too cold if they did buy one.

I just think it's stupid that the expansion releases on a SUNDAY, it should have at least been Friday. Sunday is probably the worst possible day because it only gives 1 day before people go back to work/school.

Perhaps that was the point, in order to ease load on the servers and place it close to Tuesdays update, in case they need to make an upgrades to the servers or software.

Or perhaps we should start a petition that the release date should be put back another 5 days so that it's released on a Friday.:rolleyes:

Perhaps that was the point, in order to ease load on the servers and place it close to Tuesdays update, in case they need to make an upgrades to the servers or software.

Or perhaps we should start a petition that the release date should be put back another 5 days so that it's released on a Friday.:rolleyes:

i think we should start a petition, to make those who made a petition thread much like the OP's view on early access, to have another 5 days waiting period.

Edited by RICKTHELEGEND

NOBODY is forcing you to read general chat, watch youtube, read forums.. and you can tell your guildies to not spoil the story for you.

Just because you are outraged does NOT mean you are right.

Be mad, go huff and puff somewhere else, because you're being a whiny lil beeyoch.

Thanks for Early Access. I'm having tons of fun, esp. with the Seeker Droids. I also liked the puzzles in the Macro questline. Makeb's kind of cool too. The best is the skill tree revamps; I'm actually having fun playing my merc again.

Early Release: 9/10

The only problem I see with early access is people reaching level 55 before the rest of the community would have longer queue times for pvp and flash points. But considering the rest of community will be at level cap in no time, it's nothing more than a minor annoyance for people with early access.

tl;dr - I'm mad because BW didn't advertise that there might be spoilers if I didn't pre-order and get early access.

In other news, the sky is blue and water is wet.

OP, start taking personal responsibility for your life. It was a $10 outlay of cash. If a $10 expenditure is such a life altering decision you need to step away from the keyboard and get a job.