Modern Sith vs Anicent Sith

MandalorinJedi

I was wondering what people thought of this. Modern Sith vs Ancient Sith who do you think is more powerful? To clarity by modern Sith I mean Emperor Palpatine , Darth Vader Count Dooku Darth Caedus etc. Ancient Sith like Darth Revan Darth Marr, Darth Vitiate, Darth Angral etc. If they were to face each in combat who do you would win? I would be hear what you fellows think. In my eyes the Ancient Sith would win.

Overall, ancient. Caedus could probably fair well considering it knowledge of the more esoteric Force techniques but really the modern ones are chumps in comparison (I consider the whole reborn Emperor thing to be fan fiction at best and as such doesn't count)

That being said, due to rule of two, the "average" modern Sith could crush an average ancient.

I think it depends on the situation and the Sith. For example Emperor Vitiate/Valkorion AKA Tenebrae is a master in the aspects of the force, however we never see him wield a lightsaber to the degree of mastery Darth Sidious does. So if it were exclusively a lightsaber duel I'd say someone like Sidious could win, however on force IDK since Sidious has force storm but Tenebrae posses multiple beings etc. However if you'd say on an average I'd say it's likely the ancient Sith were at least better duelists or fighters as they went into constant war against other lightsaber wielding opponents. On the force again I'd say it depends on the Sith, and even their skills as a fighter depends on that and who we're matching them against. This is just a big rant post so don't take my word for it.

(I consider the whole reborn Emperor thing to be fan fiction at best and as such doesn't count)

Well not trying to start an argument but if you're counting Caedus why not Dark Empire? They were both canon back in the day, although not anymore.

The ancient Sith have an edge, because they have access to much more knowladge on the Dark Side than the modern Sith 3500 years later. Also, no modern sith matches Vitiate's feats, Sidious didn't devour two planets, stop lightsabres with his hands, and kill a master of the Dark Side i.e. Darth Marr with one burst of force lightning. Not to mention Vitiate has his body hopping feats...

Well not trying to start an argument but if you're counting Caedus why not Dark Empire? They were both canon back in the day, although not anymore.

It's not it's official status, but the content that causes me to say that.

While Caedus annoys the hell out of me, I can't stomach DE, it was just so absurd (even by FTL space wizard standards)

It's not it's official status, but the content that causes me to say that.

While Caedus annoys the hell out of me, I can't stomach DE, it was just so absurd (even by FTL space wizard standards)

I see, well I disagree but I can at least see where you're coming from.

• 3 weeks later...

Certain Sith would fare quite well against the ancients, if you're talking about combat/dueling. One particular Sith that comes to mind is Darth Krayt.

Aside from beating a raged Anakin Skywalker (albeit, while Skywalker was young), Darth Krayt was able to completely eviscerate a small handful of Imperial Knights, alone, in what appears to be a fight that lasts less than half a minute, without taking a single scratch. For comparison, Imperial Knights are roughly equivalent to standard Jedi Knights - the only difference being that their combat training placed an emphasis on group work/teamwork. This meant that Imperial Knights, while decent on their own, were even more deadly when a part of a group (Think the honor guard dudes in TLJ). Krayt blew through them with ease and suffered no damage, as far as I can recall.

Moreover, his duel against Darth Wyyrlok showed his sheer skill and patience. When Wyyrlok attempted to hurt Krayt through mental attacks/visions and such, Krayt at first acts as if the attacks are successful. He then reveals that he'd been waiting for Wyyrlok to attempt that on him (something like that) so that he could surprise counter-attack, just as he wills the mental invasion away. This is right at that famous panel where you see Krayt stabbing Wyyrlok through the chest with his twin blades. Considering Wyyrlok was able to destroy Andeddu's spirit in a contest of will, this speaks to the strength of Krayt's mind - not to mention when Krayt overcame a similar attack from one ancient Sith in particular; Darth Nihilus. And his apparent ability to bring foes to their knees almost at will with dark visions, such as Cade.

All in all, I don't recall seeing Krayt ever lose a pound-for-pound duel. IIRC, he even beat a resurrected version of an ancient Jedi legendary master, as well as several others, after getting ambushed by them. Of his two biggest setbacks, both of them came when he basically let his guard down, which I guess counts as a weakness.

Either way, Krayt was pretty solid for a Sith who kind of never had a true dark side master to learn from. I wouldn't say that any others from his Empire pose a big threat to any of the ancient Sith, however. Maybe you could stretch the case for Darth Nihl, depending on how you measure and weigh his semi-Jedi purge feat, Kol Skywalker, and his matchup against Cade.