Toxicity

ChrisSchmidt

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vote to kick systems are two edged swords indeed.

I confess, and this might speak more to me as a player that tends to respect other's time, i have experienced more vote to kick abuse than legitimate use in this game. Though it happens on others too.

It is probably easier to auto-detect a player that is afk or disconnected and auto-kick them from the group after X time than it is to ever be able to stop human beings from behaving like total trash.

Also, people are more mindless than ever these days and just the pop up of the vote to kick screen is answered with a yes just to get it outside people's screen's, without any thought given. I have seen the system abused in that manner over and over again and it is often a matter of who managed to vote kick the other first. Because most people don't care and just want to get the flashpoint over with.

So, yes. If you can add detection systems for afk/disconnect please remove the vote to kick function in flashpoints too.

Edited by Nemmar

These changes are sounding very promising, especially the legacy ignore feature.

Just a quick question, if a player is reporting another, will it be the same, ie just spam, or will the option be to report different type of behaviour. And not just if you are beside them, but in the general too.

Also, can you tell us, if you report someone does it copy the chat, so it can be seen what they have done.

I know, we'll never see it, or even know what happens, but it would be nice to know that you, or a mod can see what actually happens.

I'm personally glad to see the steps taken by the team to improve the quality of gaming in SWTOR...

On the other hand .. wait until you get to be my age ... everybody ignores you !!

:D:D:D

Vote Kick

Vote kick was a feature implemented years ago with the best intentions, giving players the power to remove a toxic member of their group. However, we’ve seen behavior change over time towards vote kick being abused not to remove harmful players, but harass or troll legitimate ones.

In Game Update 6.1.4 we are removing vote kick from Ranked PvP, which is where we see the greatest abuse of this feature. If we see continued abuse we will remove it from other game modes. I would like to add that some of the original intent for Vote Kick (AFK players, etc) has been mitigated over the years by increased detection methods and data logging. However, we will continue to closely monitor for the behavior Vote Kick was intended to curb, and continue to invest in more advanced detection methods.

If you remove vote kick, you should also remove deserter penalty or make it function so that the kicked person won't get a 20 minute lockout. It kinda sucks when you get a pop into some GF activity and you are kicked before you load in, just because they group was waiting for someone else, and then you'll get a 20 minute lockout for no reason whatsoever. It's also being abused deliberately in GF fps just because "they can". This often happens when there's two people from same guild who group up and pug the other two. You can see from the first pull what the rest of the FP is going to be, and usually it's easier to leave, relog and q again with an alt. So many jerks are running with a mate, just so they can do whatever they want to and be as toxic as they want to.

If you remove vote kick, you should also remove deserter penalty or make it function so that the kicked person won't get a 20 minute lockout. It kinda sucks when you get a pop into some GF activity and you are kicked before you load in, just because they group was waiting for someone else, and then you'll get a 20 minute lockout for no reason whatsoever. It's also being abused deliberately in GF fps just because "they can". This often happens when there's two people from same guild who group up and pug the other two. You can see from the first pull what the rest of the FP is going to be, and usually it's easier to leave, relog and q again with an alt. So many jerks are running with a mate, just so they can do whatever they want to and be as toxic as they want to.

Their goal is to keep teams together and play to the end of the match. Removing the deserter penalty will not achieve this. You queue, you play. That's the idea.

Their goal is to keep teams together and play to the end of the match. Removing the deserter penalty will not achieve this. You queue, you play. That's the idea.

That may be their goal, but it will only end up into more people ending up into each other's ignore list.They can't force anyone to play with toxic trolls, lockout or not.

Edited by DeannaVoyager

That may be their goal, but it will only end up into more people ending up into each other's ignore list.They can't force anyone to play with toxic trolls, lockout or not.

Except PvP queues do not work like PvE queues. Ignore still matches you up with people in Warzones. Only in PvE queues will it not match you with people on your ignore list.

Vote kick is being removed, you can't be vote kicked, so no one can kick you while loading in?

Why would that matter, if the people are toxic, don't you want them on your ignore list?

Edited by DarkTergon

Still no, I don't want someone I friend on one toon to know all my toons.

Unfortunately, a legacy ignore feature will expose player anonymity to exploits. We all have to hope that the feature they implement doesn't list the actual legacy (Or worse, all the legacy's characters) on the ignore list. By "hope" I mean hopefully they are smart enough to understand that's a bad thing and consider it before rolling out the design.

Now, even if they think the above through and design the feature to not reveal that information on other people's ignore lists, you could be exposed to an exploit allowing someone to identify one of your characters by using the legacy ignore feature. Let's say you have a friend or group of friends that often request your help or game time and some days, you just want to do your own thing, but don't want to hurt any feelings. So you change characters to one they don't know about so you can enjoy the game via anonymity. Now if they see your character (the one you changed to) and suspect either by a name similarity, a character look or whatever that this anonymous character might be you, all they have to do is add their friend's character (the one of yours you logged off of or they know is you) to the ignore list and see if the name of the character you are currently on shows up on the "who" list.

Remember, that's just a scenario involving friends. Don't forget that people that harass others can also do this. So your legacy ignore may prevent you from seeing chat message or grouping with them in PvE content, but if they follow you around with their character you will still see them, their emotes, their toys, their abilities, their snowballs (for the people that get bent out of shape over those), custom emotes, etc... They now have a way to identify some of your other characters if you change to them to avoid harassment.

Congrats, people, you got what you asked for. Now you'll have to deal with it. The only changes they should have made were:

--Faction based import / export ignore lists.

--Doubling the current size of the ignore list.

--Automatic removal of banned characters (usually credit spam bots) from lists.

Anyway ... I'm very curious to see how this effects queue times for PvE in GF because there are a lot of people that add people to their ignore lists for the stupidest reasons.

Edited by BRKMSN

Unfortunately, a legacy ignore feature will expose player anonymity to exploits. We all have to hope that the feature they implement doesn't list the actual legacy (Or worse, all the legacy's characters) on the ignore list. By "hope" I mean hopefully they are smart enough to understand that's a bad thing and consider it before rolling out the design.

Since legacy names are not unique, I don't see why they would list the legacy names. I suspect that you will just see the name of the character you ignored. So I wouldn't jump to such conclusions. There is a unique identifier in the background that BW wouldn't want to share and it would take more effort to show all the character names that players are currently logged in with so also there I don't consider that scenario plausible at all. All that needs to happen can happen in the background and showing names (legacy or alts) wouldn't serve anything I would think.

Anyway ... I'm very curious to see how this effects queue times for PvE in GF because there are a lot of people that add people to their ignore lists for the stupidest reasons

I suspect that those people specifically will have waiting times in the queue, whereas people who use it sparingly will not limit themselves as much. But yeah, time will tell.

Edited by Tsillah

Unfortunately, a legacy ignore feature will expose player anonymity to exploits. We all have to hope that the feature they implement doesn't list the actual legacy (Or worse, all the legacy's characters) on the ignore list. .

You'd have to go through a lot of trouble to find the names of another persons toons. It's not something the average troll would do, and if someone really wanted to troll so badly, they'd find a way.

Anyway ... I'm very curious to see how this effects queue times for PvE in GF because there are a lot of people that add people to their ignore lists for the stupidest reasons.

This was one of the first tings I brought up years ago when legacy ignore requests popped up, but considering how the population has gotten worse, it's a chance I'd be willing to take. If the worst happens, I'll organsie a group first, then hop in to GF.

Oh goody, you finally do something for the toxic atmosphere except that you are adding to it with you stupid changes to the augments but maybe you think we will ignore this if you fix what people been asking for years.

Good job on that but I will not forget the changes you are making on augments and this is giving me less of a reason to play anymore. Good job in losing money from me.

Oh goody, you finally do something for the toxic atmosphere except that you are adding to it with you stupid changes to the augments but maybe you think we will ignore this if you fix what people been asking for years.

What "changes" to augments? There's been no changes to the previous augments. All they've done is added some high-end, not needed by most people, augments. 🤔

Not wanting to play with trump supporters isn't a crime.

This is exactly the kind of dangerous, toxic fanaticism I'm talking about.

You are already making assumptions just because someone wants to prevent the abuse of the system, indicating that you see nothing wrong with abusing it. Well, let's hope it bites you in the rear.

Edited by Parsifal_

A legacy friends list would be great -whereby every character in my legacy can view if a friend character is online.

No thank you.

Why: Because in this game you can add a "friend" without the other's permission. If I need to approve it, then fine but the way it is no. The people that know my whole legacy are the ones that I trust and no I don't trust every person in this game.

Vote kick is being removed, you can't be vote kicked, so no one can kick you while loading in?

It's being removed from PVP, not yet from PVE (yet).

Why would that matter, if the people are toxic, don't you want them on your ignore list?

Yes, but I would have to stay in the group not being able to initiate a vote kick on them, or get a deserter lockout if I leave group early. They would go on my ignore list for sure, but I don't want to finish a FP with jerks.

agreed. Even if you're a part of a guild ... sometimes anonymity can be a virtue.

Account wide "ignore" can be a benefit however.

Wrong. All of your alts will be assimilated. The unique strength of your alts will be added to the collective. Resistance is ... (I'll let you fill in the blank!)

Hugs,

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

It's being removed from PVP, not yet from PVE (yet).

Yes, but I would have to stay in the group not being able to initiate a vote kick on them, or get a deserter lockout if I leave group early. They would go on my ignore list for sure, but I don't want to finish a FP with jerks.

ah, sorry, thought we were talking about the pvp aspect...d'oh

But at least with the PvE areas once a legacy is on your ignore list, you never have to seem them again :)

Wrong. All of your alts will be assimilated. The unique strength of your alts will be added to the collective. Resistance is ... (I'll let you fill in the blank!)

Hugs,

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

WARNING : Assimilation of all characters linked to primary individual known Ol Buzzard inadvisable at this time. Doing so could result in a cascade failure of your localized communications matrix. Social distancing is advised. (as if anyone had to be told that!!!)

:D:D:D