Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The 5.10 Gear Changes Don't Work. Devs, Don't Be Stubborn.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The 5.10 Gear Changes Don't Work. Devs, Don't Be Stubborn.

Rion_Starkiller's Avatar


Rion_Starkiller
02.01.2019 , 03:13 PM | #161
I am well aware that 1 MWS per week is only 500 each.

Olag is arguing that 30 mins of time investment is worth 175 UC's. But 875 UC's for 5 weeks of 30 minute work? The actual time investment is in the waiting to buy 1 MWS per week.

But all of this is moot, since Gokkus point seems be that he's close calling it quits because of the RNG factor of getting 5 relics in a row.

Quote: Originally Posted by Gokkus View Post
Yeah I am ready to call it. I hate the gearing system now. I got 5 bad relics in a row...
I'm not sure what we, as players, have to do to get the devs to notice that we don't like RNG gear boxes. That, and lack of operations, were the reason people were up in arms in 5.0. It's also why this game is a shadow of what it was in 4.0. (not that 4.x was spectacular, but at least we were still riding high off Rishi/Yavin fumes and the old operations were raised to max level).
-Beruhl, Pre-Complainer-in-Chief
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Lies have been corrected.

olagatonjedi's Avatar


olagatonjedi
02.01.2019 , 03:19 PM | #162
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
He's arguing that 30 mins of time investment is worth 175 UC's. But 875 UC's for 5 weeks of 30 minute work? The actual time investment is in the waiting.
Its only a game problem if its not intentional, which all signs are point to it being. This appears to be more like a preference problem, to each ones own. And if that drives one person away, then it probably draws someone else in knowing that gear isnt just given away quickly either.

Quote:
I'm not sure what we, as players, have to do to get the devs to notice that we don't like RNG gear boxes. That, and lack of operations, were the reason people were up in arms in 5.0. It's also why this game is a shadow of what it was in 4.0. (not that 4.x was spectacular, but at least we were still riding high off Rishi/Yavin fumes and the old operations were raised to max level).
Not everyone agrees that RNG is a bad thing. Some people are acting as though their complaints are universally agreed upon, when they really arent (maybe universally agreed upon in ones personal circle, but not population-wide). BW is unlikely to change something like that unless there is truly a problem with it, or they have the intention to change it for "something different."

Rion_Starkiller's Avatar


Rion_Starkiller
02.01.2019 , 03:29 PM | #163
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
Its only a game problem if its not intentional, which all signs are point to it being. This appears to be more like a preference problem, to each ones own. And if that drives one person away, then it probably draws someone else in knowing that gear isnt just given away quickly either.
Quote:
Not everyone agrees that RNG is a bad thing. Some people are acting as though their complaints are universally agreed upon, when they really arent (maybe universally agreed upon in ones personal circle, but not population-wide). BW is unlikely to change something like that unless there is truly a problem with it, or they have the intention to change it for "something different."

I'm fairly certain that it is intentional, so yes it is a preference problem as you say. And the major preference problem seems to be against RNG gear boxes as evident in the 5.0 mass exodus. Unless you attribute subscription losses and server merges to something else?

Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
it probably draws someone else in knowing that gear isnt just given away quickly either
This part was funny I would love to know about anyone that was drawn in to the game by RNG gear boxes. I want to meet these unicorns.

Personally, I prefer the 4.x gear acquisition method. That said, I think it was too easy and too quick. So I would go with the 4.0 gearing method, but a little more difficult and grindy.
-Beruhl, Pre-Complainer-in-Chief
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Lies have been corrected.

olagatonjedi's Avatar


olagatonjedi
02.01.2019 , 04:00 PM | #164
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
I'm fairly certain that it is intentional, so yes it is a preference problem as you say. And the major preference problem seems to be against RNG gear boxes as evident in the 5.0 mass exodus. Unless you attribute subscription losses and server merges to something else?
There is no direct correlation between loot boxes being the definitive and sole reason people unsubscribed. Even before 5.0, people were jawing about their issues with the game, so its very likely there were many pre-existing reasons for people to leave at a moments notice if they didnt get what they wanted in any update, not necessarily 5.0. Personally, i think many players put too many expectations on BW before 5.0, amd were naturally let down because it wasnt possible to meet those expectations.

Quote:
This part was funny I would love to know about anyone that was drawn in to the game by RNG gear boxes. I would love to meet these unicorns.
I will only speak for myself, but i have always been an advocate for BIS gearing to be made available to everyone, not just end-game ops participants. 5.0 brought that, and naturally was tweaked and adjusted like every other expansion/update. So, yes, I was very delighted to know I gained the ability to get BIS doing things that didnt necessarily require me to dedicate multiple-hour time slots to acquire. I play 10 minutes here, 30 minutes there, sometimes randomly my life allows me to play a full 3 hours in a row. The current system works perfectly for my RL lifestyle and commitment to it. I can dedicate any amiunt of time, make it meaningful, and still come away progressing towards BIS. There are many other casuals who have expressed themselves as in the same situation. But here is the bonus, now that i have accumulated BIS, i am more willing to sign up for HM and NIM raids when i can - because i dont feel like im holding the raid back being undergeared (like i wouldve been in 4.x and prior).

Im not saying RNG doesnt have its frustrating moments, but its not easy to come up with a loot system that is balanced for the game AND every individual playstyle AND time commitment AND "fun" either. So its the best loot system ive seen so far, until a better one presents itself.

5.10 is an extension to 5.previous and isnt meant to be a quick upgrade process. 248 gear is still the standard BIS for the masses.

Rion_Starkiller's Avatar


Rion_Starkiller
02.01.2019 , 04:45 PM | #165
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
There is no direct correlation between loot boxes being the definitive and sole reason people unsubscribed. Even before 5.0, people were jawing about their issues with the game, so its very likely there were many pre-existing reasons for people to leave at a moments notice if they didnt get what they wanted in any update, not necessarily 5.0. Personally, i think many players put too many expectations on BW before 5.0, amd were naturally let down because it wasnt possible to meet those expectations.
If the expectations of 5.0 were too high, it is because 5.0 KOTET was marketed as an expansion. https://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/112...e-early-access.

People were leaving in late 4.x, so you are right that it was not the sole reason for the mass exodus. Two of the guilds I played with died in late 4.x (one pvp and one pve/raiding) because 5.0 was basically 4.0 part 2. The very beginnings of the exodus began shortly after this announcement on 7/15/16: https://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20160715.

As for loot boxes of 5.0, these were the final straw. Not only were people upset by more of the same Chapters systems (no OW planets, no raids, no pvp maps) they also lost their EZ-mode 4.0 gearing. Players had to grind new gear to do....what? Some new chapters? Thus the mass exodus of early 2017, I attribute to GC loot boxes -- because people would have continued to do whatever content they were doing before (with boredom).

Quote:
I will only speak for myself, but i have always been an advocate for BIS gearing to be made available to everyone, not just end-game ops participants. 5.0 brought that, and naturally was tweaked and adjusted like every other expansion/update. So, yes, I was very delighted to know I gained the ability to get BIS doing things that didnt necessarily require me to dedicate multiple-hour time slots to acquire. I play 10 minutes here, 30 minutes there, sometimes randomly my life allows me to play a full 3 hours in a row. The current system works perfectly for my RL lifestyle and commitment to it. I can dedicate any amiunt of time, make it meaningful, and still come away progressing towards BIS. There are many other casuals who have expressed themselves as in the same situation. But here is the bonus, now that i have accumulated BIS, i am more willing to sign up for HM and NIM raids when i can - because i dont feel like im holding the raid back being undergeared (like i wouldve been in 4.x and prior).

Im not saying RNG doesnt have its frustrating moments, but its not easy to come up with a loot system that is balanced for the game AND every individual playstyle AND time commitment AND "fun" either. So its the best loot system ive seen so far, until a better one presents itself.

5.10 is an extension to 5.previous and isnt meant to be a quick upgrade process. 248 gear is still the standard BIS for the masses.
I will respond to this second part later. Gotta run for now. But I do agree that 5.10 gearing is far better than early 5.0 gearing.

This game is in a better state than it was at 5.0 launch, but the playerbase is still fragile and suspicious, in my opinion.
-Beruhl, Pre-Complainer-in-Chief
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Lies have been corrected.