It would take me 16 weeks to reach 258 for 1 character

Lundorff

Lets say I have enough UCs for the 7 pieces right side + Main Hand and that I can send all of this over with legacy gear (yes I would also need 2 x Monumentally Stupid Data Crystals). With enough characters and endless UCs, those 8 pieces would take me about 3 weeks.

But left side is where things become interesting:

5 x left side at 3+2 each = 25 Data Crystals

1 OH = 7 Data Crystals (I do not have a legacy off-hand)

That leaves me with 32 Data Crystals that I would need to gather on 1 character. And my only realistic source of Data Crystals would be the 500+1000 weekly exchange, which results in 16 weeks before being BiS for 1 character.

Kindly tell me that my math is messed up, and it is not nearly this bad. If not, the only realistic goal would be 8 x 258 and 6 x 252. It would cost an arm and a leg in UCs, but it would "only" take about 6 weeks. I could probably live with that if I cared to, but it would completely lock me to 1 character.

Meh, I hate this system :(

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets say I have enough UCs for the 7 pieces right side + Main Hand and that I can send all of this over with legacy gear (yes I would also need 2 x Monumentally Stupid Data Crystals). With enough characters and endless UCs, those 8 pieces would take me about 3 weeks.

That leaves me with 32 Data Crystals that I would need to gather on 1 character. And my only realistic source of Data Crystals would be the 500+1000 weekly exchange, which results in 16 weeks before being BiS for 1 character.

Kindly tell me that my math is messed up, and it is not nearly this bad. If not, the only realistic goal would be 8 x 258 and 6 x 252. It would cost an arm and a leg in UCs, but it would "only" take about 6 weeks. I could probably live with that if I cared to, but it would completely lock me to 1 character.

Nope. You have to use multiple alts for the data crystals and buy the individual pieces on those chars and send them back to your main. 3 alts = 9 crystals /week assuming you buy crystals on all of those and have the time to do dailies at least once/day/char. 5 alts =15 crystals/week assuming you have a huge stack of UC's.

I used 3 alts because I have no time to farm on a lot of chars. I started in december after 5.10 launched and I will b full 258 next week after I buy the offhand/mainhand weapons+ the last 2 relics.

Was fast ? Not really... but it wasn't any less painful than getting 242 or 248 back in the day.

You are missing the PvP rotating weekly. That is 2 crystals every 8 weeks, you save one week. In 14 week you are lickly to have that 2 times so it would be 14 weeks.

Still crap for those that only pvp.

I do recomend if you can play the story part of ossus to do the Flesh and Steel (kill each Ossus world boss for the first time). That gives you a mainhand or offhand 252 that can save you another week. WBs runs are 24 people, even if you don't have the skills or likes for PvE, its just less than an hour (two hour with story+ group forming +the kills) to endure to save a week (and you also get a crystal, another half week ;) )

I do also hate this system. I don't have infinite UC, i can barely afford a single crystal on a couple toons per week. And even if a like PvE, doing ossus over and over is really tiring.

Edit: Forgot to add that you do not need to unlock ossus to do the PvP rotating weekly. All lvl 70 toon can grab that quest (today is last day and probably won't be back for another 6+ weeks) so do it on every pvp capable lvl 70 toon you have.

Edited by Balameb
add info

Two things: First, if your goal is to only gear your main first, then you should focus all your data crystals for the left side on that toon which would cost a total of 25 data crystals (assuming you dont get lucky with rng and dont get any pieces to speed things up) So with 0 luck, it would take you 6 weeks MAX to get your left side to full 258s.

Second, every other piece should be gotten using alts, so depending on how many alts you use it will be even less than 6 weeks. Get your legacy offhand by doing the gree event on 2 or 3 characters to have enough to buy a legacy offhand.

So it will take you about 6 weeks max to have a full set of 258 for your main, but depending on how lucky you are with rng from the 10 daily weekly, you will have even more pieces ready to work on for your other toons.

Edit: this does not include doing the queen which gives you more chances to get free 252's which would speed things up even more.

Edited by Zurules

You included offhand with your calculations as something you need to get on your main character, which is not true. Legacy offhand from the gree event (which is up pretty often) lets you get OH on an alt.

Also keep in mind how terrible gear grinding was at the launch of 5.0. Ossus really isn’t that bad.

Edited by SlimeyDoom

You are missing the PvP rotating weekly. That is 2 crystals every 8 weeks, you save one week. In 14 week you are lickly to have that 2 times so it would be 14 weeks.

Are you sure? The weekly for group ranked gives a crystal yes, but I don't do group ranked. The one for solo ranked only provides the monumental one.

Edit: Ah you mean Weekly Event: 8 Medals? I just stumbled upon it.

Edited by Lundorff

You included offhand with your calculations as something you need to get on your main character, which is not true. Legacy offhand from the gree event (which is up pretty often) lets you get OH on an alt.

Also keep in mind how terrible gear grinding was at the launch of 5.0. Ossus really isn’t that bad.

Not going to happen. And you are correct, Ossus is much, much worse.

Edited by Lundorff

Do what I do. Absolutely nothing. I have done exactly zero towards new gear. I am still in all 248 gear and am almost always top damage or near top damage in ranked. As long as the gearing system stays like it is, I will be in 248 possibly forever. All I do is PVP. And if they can not co op a system within PVP I will be in 248 gear. I am not kidding when I say this. I will 100% do nothing on the PVE side for gearing my toon. If it ever gets to the point where people are angry in ranked that my gearing is sub standard then my answer will be to go yell at bioware not me. I didn't create the gearing system. But one thing is for certain, I will never ever PVE for gearing and I will never stop queueing ranked. If it wasn't for PVP I would never log into this game.

Do what I do. Absolutely nothing. I have done exactly zero towards new gear. I am still in all 248 gear and am almost always top damage or near top damage in ranked. As long as the gearing system stays like it is, I will be in 248 possibly forever. All I do is PVP. And if they can not co op a system within PVP I will be in 248 gear. I am not kidding when I say this. I will 100% do nothing on the PVE side for gearing my toon. If it ever gets to the point where people are angry in ranked that my gearing is sub standard then my answer will be to go yell at bioware not me. I didn't create the gearing system. But one thing is for certain, I will never ever PVE for gearing and I will never stop queueing ranked. If it wasn't for PVP I would never log into this game.

Yes that will probably also be my approach, assuming I stay in the first place. I just really, really hate it has to be so stupid.

wait until you try to augment your gear. I still cannot find the requisite mats for the blue assembly component (iokath purple something or other), and the going rate for an augment is around 10 million.

I never understood why expertise AND bolster existed, and I still don't. bolster doesn't require expertise to level the stats in WZs. So getting rid of expertise gear isn't fundamentally a problem. But the way they've done this, it seems min/maxing requires you to do heavy pve grinding.

However, the biggest gearing absurdity I've encountered since coming back is that mods and enhancements are locked to slot. It made sense for armorings because set bonuses are tied to them. But doing so for mods and enh is pure pettiness.

wait until you try to augment your gear. I still cannot find the requisite mats for the blue assembly component (iokath purple something or other), and the going rate for an augment is around 10 million.

You mean 240 augments? Stuff I can get from the GTN is a none-issue.

I never understood why expertise AND bolster existed, and I still don't. bolster doesn't require expertise to level the stats in WZs. So getting rid of expertise gear isn't fundamentally a problem. But the way they've done this, it seems min/maxing requires you to do heavy pve grinding.

However, the biggest gearing absurdity I've encountered since coming back is that mods and enhancements are locked to slot. It made sense for armorings because set bonuses are tied to them. But doing so for mods and enh is pure pettiness.

Augments:

The iokath purple you can just use a few Comand Tokens (everyone has spare of these) and crodits. You trade it in the same vendor that you get purple Comand Boosts iwhen you run out of drops from comand crates.

The expensive Mat for augments is the purple one CMT. It goes for arround 1.5M each single on GTN (they also drop from command crates). You need two of those for each 236 augments (what you should aim) or 4 for 240 (no really whorty in most cases). Or you can buy the augments: arround 3M for 236 or 6M for 240.

Mods and Enhancements:

I agree, it is absurd. This is the worst along RNG from 252 boxes.

I'm still pissy the gear was added in the first place. Because the studio interprets participation in an activity as enjoying it, I will not participate in any activity that gives 252 or 258 gear. There will be no misinterpretation, Musco. I think adding gear without increasing the rest of the content's difficulty is almost as idiotic as thinking that I was playing the game for gear grinding, which is almost as stupid as adding in a NiM mode of an op that, by your own statement was already scaled to NiM.

My guild largely died because of pvp changes, and this ludicrous gear system (difficult to obtain or not, for our purposes it doesn't matter, its the fact it exists and is not tied to the previously existing gear system, that I might add, Musco, took you 6 months to begin to get to a tolerable level of rng and grind) ensures I spend most of my time elsewhere. On the odd occasion I play swtor, I pointedly ignore any content that gives the new gear. Your response to the broken mission that didn't give me my lightsaber was the final straw.

In short. Musco, even you and Mr. Kanneg cannot confuse participation with pleasure, because I refuse to participate in any content involving the new gear. At this point, if I got a piece in a crate I wouldn't use it out of sheer principle. Yes, I'm stubborn. I have also been one of your loyal customers for over half a decade. Where is the retribution for my loyalty?

solo ranked weekly I believe provides you with a purple rep. do say 6? maybe in a week and you max your rep cap.

I've personaly completely stopped playing. the only content I llogged in to do was solo ranked and now every match I get its me and 3 globalables vs 1 good player and 3 globalbles. its just whos nubs die faster that decides the win, not cc, tactics or dps counts.

Edited by Seterade

Reputation is easy to get, the tokens come from the dailies and weeklies on Ossus and also from PVP daily/weekly.

there's a weekly cap on one's legacy as per every other rep in the game. so...I guess it depends on what you want to buy.

still, it's worth doing the weeklies on as many alts as you can stomach just to pass gear/weapons to your main(s).

stockpiling rep tokens is w/e. you're going to do the same amount of work whether you do it all at once or week by week.

it's purely individual preference, but I like the swtor system for rep grinds and rewards much more than the wow system and the fact that rep gear in wow is useless by the time you unlock it or that it forces you to grind rep just to use the flying mount(s) you already own. then there's the whole thing in BFA where you have to grind rep just to access abilities in your gear that you'll trade up from before having the rep to unlock them...but I digress. heh.

Nope. You have to use multiple alts for the data crystals and buy the individual pieces on those chars and send them back to your main. 3 alts = 9 crystals /week assuming you buy crystals on all of those and have the time to do dailies at least once/day/char. 5 alts =15 crystals/week assuming you have a huge stack of UC's.

I used 3 alts because I have no time to farm on a lot of chars. I started in december after 5.10 launched and I will b full 258 next week after I buy the offhand/mainhand weapons+ the last 2 relics.

Was fast ? Not really... but it wasn't any less painful than getting 242 or 248 back in the day.

If you read what he said, he said he was only wanting to pvp, not do pve dailies, which is reasonable because we shouldn’t be forced to do pve so we can gear up for pvp.

Edit: Forgot to add that you do not need to unlock ossus to do the PvP rotating weekly. All lvl 70 toon can grab that quest (today is last day and probably won't be back for another 6+ weeks) so do it on every pvp capable lvl 70 toon you have.

Yeah, but if you haven’t done the whole previous story chapters or by pass them straight to Ossus (not everyone wants BioWare generic companion choices), there is no way to get the crystals.

There really needs to be an exchange vendor on the fleet.

What’s even more stupid is they make the crystal bound per Alt and not legacy bound. The whole thing is just one big abortion of a system.

Edit: plus you need legend status to even buy the gear. You really have no choice but to grind pve dailies to get the rep, when all you want to do is pvp for the time you can play (which might only be an hour).

Playing pve eats into your pvp play time. That is one of my biggest gripe.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I mean, this gear is only needed for the raiders going in to nim gods, otherwise you don’t really need it and it will take you more time it get it... it’s how his tier was designed, if you don’t do gods it’s slower to get.

That’s rubbish and you would know it if you were a full time pvper. If someone else of equal skills has better gear, than they are nearly guaranteed to beat you.

That’s rubbish and you would know it if you were a full time pvper. If someone else of equal skills has better gear, than they are nearly guaranteed to beat you.

Granted the PvP gearing system not having expertise makes it dumb, but bioware did say that this gear is intended for the non raiders, pvpers still have access to it just at a slower rate

I have found tho that the pvpers that grind this gear are still getting it and are mostly bis by now, the ones complaining are the ones that need to l2p

Edited by Maxitrac

If you read what he said, he said he was only wanting to pvp, not do pve dailies, which is reasonable because we shouldn’t be forced to do pve so we can gear up for pvp.

No problem.. He needs to do the dailies weeklies on both team ranked and solo ranked he will earn the same amount of rep. Theoretically..