The real reason Empire is more popular than Republic

MisterMT

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does that matter? Or even ring true?

The Roman Republic (lets say Cato or Brutus) might have something to say about a Roman Empire (Caesar). Oh wait...

While the Empire was born of the Republic, it was a tangibly different organization.

Yeah, gotta say that's not a good example. The Roman Empire still bore the same cultural continuity as the Republic: it was essentially the enshrinement and canonization of Republican Roman culture. It just happened to be a republic ruled by an emperor, which is essentially what the Galactic Empire was. The Star Wars Adventure Journal #7 is very instructive in this regard: for the average Core Worlder (the most populated region of the galaxy), the Empire was pretty much exactly the same as the Old Republic. Life went on as normal, or was even better than before.

Similarly, under the Roman Empire, the Senate was (unfortunately) disempowered in favor of emperors, although this was a slow process and the Senate still retained appreciable prestige and influence well into the imperial period. Yet while the ruling class was weakened, life for the average citizen was better: the Roman emperors based their power on two things: the military, and popular opinion. They had to keep both of them happy.

You can make philosophical arguments about the difference between liberty and prosperity, and it's a worthy debate, but that doesn't change the fact that these things are the same institutions. The Old Republic became the Empire: both things were still the ancient, lawful government.

In contrast, the Sith Empire is an external, invading power. They are attacking worlds and taking them over . . . for some reason. The Roman/Galactic Emperor changed things with the premise that one person was better suited to rule, and this person ended devastating civil wars (in the case of Palpatine, of course, he started the war, but most people don't know that). The Sith Emperor wasn't elected. He isn't simply changing the philosophy of a government he runs. He's attacking and invading, under the principle that some crazy demonic theocracy knows better.

Well, I can understand why the Sith follow him. They get a share of the power, and can ride his coattails. What do the rank-and-file "Imperials" get out of it? I can understand the real Imperials, the ones in the movies, serving what they think is the lawful government . . . but why are people turning against their own people to serve in some crazy theocratic ruler's invasion?

edit: Also, we know what Cato or Brutus might have said about imperial government because we know what their senatorial successors said, and the Senate tended to be culturally homogenuous and conservative. Thus, a provincial senator like Tacitus can embody republican sentiments about liberty and wise government while at the same time admitting that the republic itself was a broken, unworkable system and that princeps who shared power with the Senate would be the best choice for the future, but the tyrants who didn't were despotic monsters.

Edited by Iaius

It's simple really:

• Sith shot lightning
  • Black, red and grey color-palette of the Sith looks like a Ferrai commercial

• Jedi blow air and throw rocks and pebbles
  • Beige color-palette of the Jedi looks like a Volvo commercial

It's simple really:

• Sith ... a Ferrai commercial

• Jedi ... a Volvo commercial

Close enough. Server imbalance towards the 'bad' guys is pretty common in MMO's. Everyone wants to be 'cool'. While good guys can be cool, they are also everywhere, in all media, in all culture. They are also not the underdog by default, because; 'The good guys always win' and everyone loves an underdog.

I always plays as a somewhat good character in role playing games. I've never managed to play a completely evil person. But in SWTOR I prefer Imperial characters due to the intresting roleplaying opportunity. In most games I can choose to play a good or bad character in a society that is usually more good than bad, there can be bad elements but the society often try to follow good virues. In SWTOR I like playing characters that are actually at their core quite good people that happens to be born in a twisted and crual society and raised to believe that loyalty to that society is their duty above anything else, and that carving for power is the highest virtue. So in SWTOR I usually play lightsided imperial characters, and experience is quite interesting

I always plays as a somewhat good character in role playing games. I've never managed to play a completely evil person. But in SWTOR I prefer Imperial characters due to the intresting roleplaying opportunity. In most games I can choose to play a good or bad character in a society that is usually more good than bad, there can be bad elements but the society often try to follow good virues. In SWTOR I like playing characters that are actually at their core quite good people that happens to be born in a twisted and crual society and raised to believe that loyalty to that society is their duty above anything else, and that carving for power is the highest virtue. So in SWTOR I usually play lightsided imperial characters, and experience is quite interesting

This this this. Republic is not conducive to Roleplaying anything but a good guy. For gods sake, the Consular storyline RETCONS some of your dark side decisions while you play.

Pretty pathetic.

It's simple really:

• Sith shot lightning
  • Black, red and grey color-palette of the Sith looks like a Ferrai commercial

• Jedi blow air and throw rocks and pebbles
  • Beige color-palette of the Jedi looks like a Volvo commercial

to be honest i do not even see a close resemblance to thos commercials.

So many theories, when the truth is out there for all to see...

British accents are sexier than American accents.

End of story.

Well, for me, it's not the only reason I rolled Empire toons, but it helps. :cool:

Honestly, I just roll based on what stories I find to be interesting, or if it's a boring story, because I like the class mechanics/role and will be leveling it as my alt with my boyfriend, so through spectator mode I'll get his story as well. That I happen to find the Empire-side AC quests more interesting (BH, IA) than most of the Republic-side classes (only the Smuggler story appeals to me)... I'd rather spend my $15/month leveling up characters with class stories that entertain, not bore.

I can't speak for everyone on the Imperial Side, but as for me personally, I've wanted to be a Sith for almost 20 years. I grew up thinking the Empire of the OT was so much cooler than the Rebels. And every subsequent version of the Empire was better than the Republic. Sith were always better than the Jedi (with the exception of Darth Krayt of the Legacy comics).

In Knights of the Old Republic it always bothered me how no matter how Dark Side I went, I could only opt to join the Sith at the very end, when the game was over. The Force unleashed was the biggest let down ever since Starkiller defected after three missions. etc.

So, here comes TOR, and you could actually choose to be on the Imperial Side, without so much as the OPTION to defect, much less the requirement. When I heard that, it was like music to my ears.

Just wanted to add, someone may have already mentioned this but James Earl Jones actually voiced Vader, until ofc the mask came off then that was all David Prowse.

Boba Fett, I'm not sure he spoke? Can't remember, however, I'm pretty sure if he did he would have had the voice of Jeremy Bullock (Boba actor), also my dad's best friend at school, my dad was best friends with Boba Fett...this fact always makes my nerdy insides warm and fuzzy.

I decided to go empire becuase I simply don't know anything about the sith or the empire. There 6 movies about the republic or jedi where they all hate and try to destroy the empire.

Also, roleplaying evil is faaaaaar more fun that roleplaying a good guy (most people are rather good irl, no fun doing it in a game also).

I prefer jedi over sith because of the whole monk zen thing, you don't need to be a whiny angry little sithface who dresses up in EDGY clothes to be confident in your own abilties, espcially since the lightside is as strong or stronger anyway.

If only bioware actually made lightside interesting! It's just either 'save a starving child from a burning village for lightside' or 'save the whole village but for no logcial reason at all sacrifice the child' rubbish. Blah.

It's because sex sells.

Half the classes on the Republic side are celibate bores, who wants to play a hero who doesn't get all the side-girls/boys. Character interaction with your masters and many NPC's are bland and boring Republic side, Imperial side you have way more interesting interaction (I'm NOT talking about outright [flirt] options).

If you want to talk back to Darth Baras, he banters with you about all kinds of really amusing stuff. If you want to be Ms. Submissive to Darth Scotia, he is approving. If you want to be Rarr, I'm the boss, you can cow or kill any number of NPC grunts (plus you can use shock collars, and choke/smash companions against the walls). If you want interesting tension, Darth Zash's verbal cinematics will provide.

Republic side there isn't anything like it for at least half the classes, it's all respond with humility and get the 'Humility is a jewel in the crown of a Jedi' response, or be smart mouthed and get set down by a boring sermon. I know this is alleviated sparsely by a few of the companions in later lvls, but there's so much more interaction with just regular NPC's that is boring Rep side, and way more interesting Imp side.

Imperial side

girl: I have a bad feeling about this

Bad**s Sith: I'll make you feel better, later.

Republic side:

girl: I have a bad feeling about this

Pansy Jedi: How kind of you to worry

This is also apparent in other ways: sexy accent Imperial > Republic, sexy clothing Imperial > Republic, sexy ship design/names Imperial > Republic, sexy ability animations Imperial > Republic, the list goes on.

Edited by Karaiblis

I wanted to play a bounty hunter, regardless of what side they would have been on. Same with playing a smuggler.

My alts are decided based on romance options. I initially rolled a male SW but am going to make a female SW because I kinda like Quinn. I have a male IA because of all the /flirt options he gets (even though I think I may make him gay once that option is available).

Aside from Corso, whom I adore, there's really no compelling romance options or story. Doc maybe?

My husband has 4? 5? SIs. He loves the class. He loves going DS. I think his goal his to have one of each flavor - tank, two DPS, and a healer (which is his main). He really has no desire to play any other class, despire my asking him to roll a republic character so my poor smuggler can get some group quests done.

Boba Fett vs A half-blind smuggler. nuff said

Fixed that for you.

People go Empire because they think...

Empire = Favorite Color is Red

Red = Evil

Evil = Cool

So therefore...

Empire = Cool

And meanwhile, they tend to think...

Republic = Blue

Blue = Goody-two-shoes

Goody-two-shoes = Not Cool

So therefore....

Republic = Not Cool

It's all in the colors. If the Empire's main colors were pink, purple and yellow, I will bet you they'd be significantly less popular.

I prefer Alliance, because from what I have seen of the Empire, they tend to associate being a jerkface for no apparent reason, contradicting one's self, and having no self control is... Evil?

Edited by Guildrum

Republic side there isn't anything like it for at least half the classes, it's all respond with humility and get the 'Humility is a jewel in the crown of a Jedi' response, or be smart mouthed and get set down by a boring sermon. I know this is alleviated sparsely by a few of the companions in later lvls, but there's so much more interaction with just regular NPC's that is boring Rep side, and way more interesting Imp side.

Please, first of all, played a Smuggler or Trooper? It's far more satisfying to make a witty answer than just to "let your emotions take control RAWR".

For example-

Corso Riggs: Wow Captain, everything here is so BIG! How many people do you think can fit in that building?

Smuggler: You really ARE a city boy aren't you?

vs...

Vette: So... Want to take this shock collar off of me please? I mean, I have helped you kill more than 30 mobs in the past half hour, and you've accidentally clicked the button during combat more than once. I mean, I know you are going for the DS points, but could you spare fifty LS points for me? I mean, you can still punish me all of wish without it!

Warrior: No. I hate your guts. *Zap*

Well I don't really care for either jedis or sith so it's was basicly between Bounty Hunter and Smuggler and BH wins that by a longshot. Sure, trooper and agent works but they're still a bit to tied to empire/republic for my taste and after playing both BH and trooper the BH just plays better, more fluid and responsive while the trooper just feels sluggish and suffering from bad ability delays.

But I would have really prefered a neutral faction where I could play a BH and doing missions for cartels and huts instead of the empire. Would've been a blessing for PvP aswell of course.