Is the JC story really that bad?

Ogrejr

I have mostly Empire characters, because my friends play Empire.

Decided that I want to roll at least one Republic character, to experience some Republic action/worlds.

The non-force using Republic classes aren't my cup of tea, so right now I'm stuck between rolling a JK or a JC.

Usually I WOULD roll a JC, because I already have a level 30 Sith Juggernaut, and I imagine that a Jedi Marauder equivalent would play similarly to the Sith Juggernaut/Jedi Guardian.

But I'm conflicted. I've heard a lot of negative things about the JC story.

So I came here to ask. Is it really that bad? Or is it just a different kind of story?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To supply a different opinion, I personally feel it is the most boring story out of all the classes I've played if you go light side. I leveled my Sage as LS and it was incredibly dry and unsatisfying. However, I leveled my Shadow as DS and it was really really fun. As DS you are the biggest a-hole in the galaxy and its hilarious at times. Edited by TheHarvester

I actually enjoyed it, somewhat. It was the last story I played (only haven't done BH) and I found it better than JK story. JK was way too much of what you would expect (IMO), whereas the JC actually felt like a "real" Jedi with some kind of power/authority. The plot kinda got boring and lost it's original appeal after Chapter 1, but it picked up again (somewhat) in late Chapter 3.

Note: I played dark side, so not sure how enjoyable the story would be comparably running it as light side.

So far (almost level 55 but my story's pretty far behind thanks to WZs/Gree event) I'm really enjoying it as a lightside character -- but I specifically wanted a kind of preachy, self-righteous character (and a healer) so the story and available choices were perfect for me. Early on it got a little repetitive, but imo you get to do some really epic stuff in your story cutscenes like blowing open heavy blast doors with the force, etc.

You also get the option of some hilariously awkward/out-of-touch-with-reality responses, and people's reactions to THOSE are pretty entertaining too, imo.

I can't speak to romances as I am sticking to the "no attachments" thing, but I do like both of the female character's options as characters themselves (something else I've seen a lot of hate for).

If you're looking for witty one-liners, this is not the droid you're looking for. If you want to be a kind of socially awkward super-Jedi, it's perfect (lightside, at least).

i play dark side lvl 3 atm have some light duo schielding the pll i like and some i just kill

my master and begin i didt kill

but i rely like it this way am help full but also fear alot by orthers i do what i want but stil be on the good side

with a twist :p

if you push me i push harder thats me :)

am now lvl 36 and cant w8 to get Nardia grell and push her powers beyond limits :D

The Jedi Consular story is the story of what a real Jedi Master does. It's a story of politics, diplomacy, making friends, building and controlling armies, intimidating enemies and influencing allies.

It is not the tired story of you being the "chosen one."

But the Consular is a true leader, and you can hear it in the tone of her voice, and in the way she carries herself, especially in Act 2. The scene at the end of Balmorra still gives me the chills. The influence you build as a Jedi Consular allows you to move worlds.

The best part of the Jedi Consular storyline, is how intertwined your class quests feel with each of the planet's main quests. You don't feel like you're doing side quests. Everything works well together, a lot more so than the other storylines, and you gain a lot more background into the struggles facing the Republic and whatever planet you are on. Again, this mainly begins in Act 2 (so be patient).

If you are just looking for epic, action packed, Force-choking cutscenes and constantly spacebar your way through dialogue instead of paying attention to it, perhaps you will dislike the Jedi Consular storyline.

But if you want a deep and compelling story that is rich in Jedi and Republic culture, then be a little patient with it and you will have a great time :)

Edited by Taelizalde

My main is a shadow, who I leveled light-side. I've also leveled every other Republic class, Agent and Inquisitor, and I've paired with people leveling Bounty Hunter and Warrior. The Consular storyline is the second worst in the game (behind the Bounty Hunter). It's just really really weird and disjointed. It doesn't hold together, and it doesn't really satisfy the fantasy of being the Jedi Master who resolves disputes and learns the deep mysteries of the Force.

The best moment of the storyline, honestly, is the final bit of Alderaan. That was the only part of the story where I really felt like a Jedi Master (Tython was pretty good too). Chapter 2 is a long chain of errands to keep people happy, and Chapter 3 is a lot of trumped up excuses to visit exciting places (coincidentally the same places as every other class). The grand concept for the class is really good, but the execution is just very poor.

If you want a Bioware story, play the Agent. It's the only storyline which really feels rich and engaging. The Knight storyline is really fantastic at the end of Chapter 2 (which is where it peaks), and the Inquisitor storyline is quite good throughout (though best at the beginning of Chapter 2).

My main is a shadow, who I leveled light-side. I've also leveled every other Republic class, Agent and Inquisitor, and I've paired with people leveling Bounty Hunter and Warrior. The Consular storyline is the second worst in the game (behind the Bounty Hunter). It's just really really weird and disjointed. It doesn't hold together, and it doesn't really satisfy the fantasy of being the Jedi Master who resolves disputes and learns the deep mysteries of the Force.

The best moment of the storyline, honestly, is the final bit of Alderaan. That was the only part of the story where I really felt like a Jedi Master (Tython was pretty good too). Chapter 2 is a long chain of errands to keep people happy, and Chapter 3 is a lot of trumped up excuses to visit exciting places (coincidentally the same places as every other class). The grand concept for the class is really good, but the execution is just very poor.

If you want a Bioware story, play the Agent. It's the only storyline which really feels rich and engaging. The Knight storyline is really fantastic at the end of Chapter 2 (which is where it peaks), and the Inquisitor storyline is quite good throughout (though best at the beginning of Chapter 2).

True, as I mentioned, the Consular story doesn't really appeal to simple people. I can understand why some people might be confused when they roll a Jedi character and realize they aren't Anakin Skywalker (because every Jedi is supposed to be a galaxy-saving hero, right?).

Jedi aren't just a band of ***-kicking superheroes as some would seem to think. Not all Jedi are warriors, either. Therefore, the story won't appeal to those with no attention span or any sort of insight into plot development. If you are the kind of person that thinks, "lul kewl lightsabers lolz blow **** up," obviously the DS Sith Warrior or the Jedi Knight will suit your taste more.

With that said, the Consular storyline is one that you have to SEEK out the information in. Those with no background into Star Wars lore that doesn't involve Anakin Skywalker will be lost in the plethora of information about the workings of Republic, their relationship with the Jedi, and the conflicts that arise in politics during a time of cold war where the Jedi are behind the scenes pulling the strings.

The Consular storyline is filled with plot and intrigue, mystery and history, and tons of information. But you have to be prepared to seek it out. LISTEN to the cutscenes. SEE how the Consular's storyline intertwines with each of the planets' respective missions. This is not just another "spacebar, spacebar, blow the next thing up" type of storyline that appeals to little kids.

Don't listen to this guy above me, give the Consular a shot, keep an open mind and be curious, and you won't regret rolling your Consular :)

Edited by Taelizalde

It's a lovely story to be honest. But then I always prefer stories which have a lot of underlying depth. :)

Think of the Jedi Consular as Yoda. Yoda meditates a lot and is very wise. He knows his way around with the lighsaber or the Force. But prefers to use diplomacy. The Consular is very similar.

If you're more into chopping up enemies with a lightsaber (or two) and an accompanying story, the Jedi Knight will suit you better.

I actually appreciated the JC story a bit more the second time through (I knew which parts to spacebar through). I think they were aiming for a KOTOR2 feeling (as opposed to the JK story, with its KOTOR1 flavour). JC companions are not as interesting (except for the healer comp), which also makes a difference, and the companion romance options fall a tad flat (both genders). However, the storyline does feel finished (unlike the BH story in parts) and complete... it just doesn't quite manage to establish a compelling "class charisma" the way the JK, Trooper, Agent and Inquisitor stories do. Instead, JC class charisma is established mainly through the animations and distinctive gear (you have to like both in order to enjoy leveling a JC). Imperial Agent storyline and companions are by far the most engaging and charismatic in the game imho.

True, as I mentioned, the Consular story doesn't really appeal to simple people.

... Therefore, the story won't appeal to those with no attention span or any sort of insight into plot development. If you are the kind of person that thinks, "lul kewl lightsabers lolz blow **** up,"

This seems reeeeally unnecessarily condescending and mean. Different strokes for different folks, eh? I liked it but to imply that someone must be simple and childish to find it boring is just ... wow. People's tastes differ, and just because they don't share yours doesn't mean they're "wrong."

If you're looking for witty one-liners, this is not the droid you're looking for. If you want to be a kind of socially awkward super-Jedi, it's perfect (lightside, at least).

Well, the part where the consular imitates a Sith was amusing. There are a few other snarky responses you can use, though otherwise that assessment's pretty accurate.

If The West Wing was your favorite TV show in all of history, you'll love the JC story.

For me it was boring, and all the companions are boring too. It's like CNN, all politics, all the time.

Edited by Caelrie

True, as I mentioned, the Consular story doesn't really appeal to simple people. I can understand why some people might be confused when they roll a Jedi character and realize they aren't Anakin Skywalker (because every Jedi is supposed to be a galaxy-saving hero, right?).

Translation: anyone who doesn't agree with me about something is an idiot.

Well aren't you just a peach.

If you're more into chopping up enemies with a lightsaber (or two) and an accompanying story, the Jedi Knight will suit you better.

Oh come on. It's still an MMO. In the end the consular kills everybody same as the knight does. No sense pretending the consular is some kinda peacenik.

You offer to resolve something by telling the other party what to do. If they refuse, you kill them. Rinse, repeat.

Edited by Caelrie

Stories are just like books and TV shows, everyone has a different favorite and worse one. For me it wasn't bad, but not in my top three. I've done every class story twice now. For me consular is bottom middle of the stories. My favorites were inquisitor and agent.

For me it started off rather boring, but once you get to the meat of the story in ch. 2 and 3 it gets a lot better. I really started to enjoy it after Hoth. I just found the first bit to be way too repetitive and anti-climactic. I also will say of all the classes I've played I'm really not fond of the Consular companions, but I think that's mainly because as a Shadow you find yourself spending way too much time with Theran. None of the companions really make a whole lot of sense to me, besides Nadia, who does need guidance in the force so I could see her becoming your padawan. I've enjoyed the play through more on my Sage as I am less reliant on having a healing companion with me and I can try out the others for a more extended period of time.

My main issue with the Jedi stories though is in the end, you basically just wind up being a pawn for every politician in the Republic, no matter if you are a knight or consular. The one thing I've never liked about many of the Republic side stories is 90% of the NPCs you encounter come off as being whiny helpless peons, especially the Republic military.

Edited by DaShuk