PT/VG Tank Needs Love

xMaranathax

Bioware (Eric and/or Dan as in Dantooine but the tooine is silent),

Can we have some word on the ideas for PT and VG tanks? Are you thinking of adding more Defensive Cooldowns? More damaging abilities? Creating B-mods for a better min/max than what is currently available? We have been waiting patiently for something. Could we have an update on the plans to fix the paper tank?

• 1 month later...
I'm late but going to agree. I've played since launch and my Jugg tank who isn't even 248 yet does more DPS than my 251 geared PT tank. The difference is noticeable in PVP especially. I can 1v1 someone as a Jugg and kill them. As a PT, I wonder why I even try. The DPS difference needs to be addressed. Buff the PT tank with some DOT. They have dozens of flame abilities, would make sense to get some burning DOT. This would even the playing field.

It's not even just viability, PT/VG feels really lackluster and almost uninspired all across the board.

The animations are super forgettable or completely generic (contrast with Juggernauts having unique animations for most skills and most of them looking different than their guardian counterparts), which makes the skills not feel very exciting to use visually. I know complaining about animations feels like small peanuts here but I think it's something worth talking about because they suck. Blast is generic, Storm looks like the base skill, Oil/Gas are visually distinct but still kind of bland.

Then the gameplay doesn't have a lot of flexibility to it. I admittedly could be doing something wrong but it never feels like in a fight I have a lot of options to adapt to circumstances or pull off something amazing. I've never had a "wow that's an amazing Shieldtech" moment, because Shieldtech mitigation pretty much happens automatically just by doing your regular rotation and the spec doesn't have much else it can do. This also in general makes the spec less interesting to play, imo.

That's not to say that there's no difference between a bad Shieldtech and a good Shieldtech, there obviously is, but there's a lot less room to be proactive or pull off something amazing because the kit is so much more limited and streamlined than a Juggernaut or Assassin's.

Another time to call out Transpose here, because the discipline feels like it's missing something while simultaneously having a skill that's basically a dead button in PvE.

Admittedly in PvP Transpose is a bit neater, but the general complaint about the discipline not feeling like it has enough options to deal with problems proactively still applies.

Combine that with the viability issues and you have a tank that plays boring, looks boring (at least, in terms of spec skills, default VG/PT skills are mostly cool) and isn't as good as its competitors all at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, if we have the worst survivability of all tanks it should be balanced it with us having the highest dps (of the tank classes). Now, after several years, I’m used to getting screwed over by the devs at every turn because they have starry eyes for all Jedi/Sith classes, but come on.

Give us a little affection this time around, please. I’d take either another DCD or top of the tank damage charts. Actually having some range again would be nice as well. People like to yell ‘you have to tank up close anyway’ but you’d be surprised how often I could hold a strangler away from the main group with hammer shots and sticky grenades. Man I miss those.....

• 3 weeks later...
Personally, if we have the worst survivability of all tanks it should be balanced it with us having the highest dps (of the tank classes). Now, after several years, I’m used to getting screwed over by the devs at every turn because they have starry eyes for all Jedi/Sith classes, but come on.

Give us a little affection this time around, please. I’d take either another DCD or top of the tank damage charts. Actually having some range again would be nice as well. People like to yell ‘you have to tank up close anyway’ but you’d be surprised how often I could hold a strangler away from the main group with hammer shots and sticky grenades. Man I miss those.....

No, it shouldn't.

Powertechs need to be as survivable as other tanks to be viable. Tank DPS doesnt matter, threat does.