ETA on Advanced Class change?

So, the Species Change and Barber Shop mentioned in the Dulfy interview from months ago are finally realities. That's a good sign! It means the devs are actually serious about their "Yeah, we'd like to do that" statements.

In that same interview, it was mentioned that Advanced Class changes were also on the table and likely to happen. I'm curious if the community team can update us on whether there's any time-table for when this will be implemented.

Ideally, I'd love it to be a switch you can unlock, then flip any time — finally allowing me to Tank & Heal with one character.

But in reality I'm sure it will cost like 6000 Cartel Coins to unlock it, then another 2000 Cartel Coins every time you switch (discounted 3.2% for subscribers, of course) with a 2 month cooldown. Oh well, what can you do? As a start, I'd be happy just to have the option in-game, in any form.

So! Does BioWare have any upcoming plans for this that can be shared with us? :)

~~~

Edit: While I am proud of how much you are feeding the Dark Side with your blind anger and hate, and vehement vows of impossibility, let me remind you of (source):

18. Will be there any faction or Advanced Class change option available for purchase in the future?

We have had serious talks recently about offering an Advanced Class change option – I think that one will likely happen eventually. Species is likely as well. Doing a faction switch is considerably more difficult for us, though, due to the various quest flags set throughout the level up process, so this isn’t on the horizon anytime soon.

We got the Species part. That makes the AC part also have a lot of credibility.

So anyway, any ETA or news, community team? :)

Edited by SW_display_name

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, get this stupid notion out of your head. You are not going to be able to pay for your rerolling to the next fotm.

This. Why do people think it's okay to switch classes? They really screwed it up when they made the AC's. I knew this would happen. It was however, the only way to make sure each class had it's own story and you could play it from two perspectives.

Edited by spectreclees

So, the Species Change and Barber Shop mentioned in the Dulfy interview from months ago are finally realities. That's a good sign! It means the devs are actually serious about their "Yeah, we'd like to do that" statements.

In that same interview, it was mentioned that Advanced Class changes were also on the table and likely to happen. I'm curious if the community team can update us on whether there's any time-table for when this will be implemented.

Ideally, I'd love it to be a switch you can unlock, then flip any time — finally allowing me to Tank & Heal with one character.

But in reality I'm sure it will cost like 6000 Cartel Coins to unlock it, then another 2000 Cartel Coins every time you switch (discounted 3.2% for subscribers, of course) with a 2 month cooldown. Oh well, what can you do? As a start, I'd be happy just to have the option in-game, in any form.

So! Does BioWare have any upcoming plans for this that can be shared with us? :)

No, get this stupid notion out of your head. You are not going to be able to pay for your rerolling to the next fotm.

I wish people would drop this idea, if you want to see what the other advance class is, create a new Character, by the time you've learned how to play it effectively, you could have levelled it up to level 55 any way, and earned some Legacy levels. I personally hope EA never release it, and if they did I would want it to be 60,000 CC and another 60,000CC extra every time you switch.

Not gonna happen. Put it out of your mind.

You can't "mess up" building your profession in this game. You can re-spec your tree

if you don't like things. That is enough for most people.

Want a different AC? The solution is rolling an alt.

I don't see it as that big of a deal.

However, it's unlikely that it'll be any sort of "unlock" or "switch" that can be done like some sort of field respec.

I figure it's possible from a technical standpoint because Advanced Classes don't seem to hook too deeply into the system like Faction, base class, or gender do.

There aren't any storyline or companion changes that would need to be made.

Swap out one power set for another and you've changed advanced classes.

Sure, a lot of your equipment would be obsolete, but that'd be something you'd have to deal with on your own.

I'd expect it to cost about 1800cc which is the cost of a high-end cosmetic item and consistent with their policy of pricing things so that they can be paid for with just the subscriber stipend.

By making it 1800, that would place a limiting factor on it to once every 3 months without coughing up cash to do it more often.

I rolled a Paladin but I want to be a Warrior now, wah wah let me pay money to convert so I don't have to level again.

Worst idea ever, last thing an MMO needs is class conversion, enough people already suck at playing the AC they have, never mind letting them change to another without having to level with it to learn the ropes.

It's a terrible idea. You need to roll an alt to get another AC. Why would you even want to do it?

Say you switch from Juggernaut to Maurauder. *ALL* your wearable gear would be useless since Maurauder cannot use Heavy Armour. Is that... fun?

And besides it would allow very strange possibilities.

Think: I play an Assassin up to 55 so I can sneak between mobs and then I swap to my Sorcerer which cannot sneak but I can play coolishly in Ops?!?!?

*IF* they come out with it, I'm otta here. Then the game is ruined.

Seriously...

Not gonna happen. Put it out of your mind.

You can't "mess up" building your profession in this game. You can re-spec your tree

if you don't like things. That is enough for most people.

Want a different AC? The solution is rolling an alt.

though i do agree with you, there is a major floor in that, we dont have 16 character slots to create every AC in the game on one server on the same legacy, and though there are mirror classes, and the abilities have identical effects as their mirror, the animation is different and I would want to see that, and one last thing... if anyone thought I couldn't make enough end game toons to fill the limited 12 slots available on the server I play on, oh how wrong you would be.

though i do agree with you, there is a major floor in that, we dont have 16 character slots to create every AC in the game on one server on the same legacy, and though there are mirror classes, and the abilities have identical effects as their mirror, the animation is different and I would want to see that, and one last thing... if anyone thought I couldn't make enough end game toons to fill the limited 12 slots available on the server I play on, oh how wrong you would be.

It may cost some CC's, but you can purchase extra character slots and have up to 22 characters on a server, plenty of space for all 16 AC's.

though i do agree with you, there is a major floor in that, we dont have 16 character slots to create every AC in the game on one server on the same legacy, ...

Only speak for yourself, as *I* do have 16 char slots in my legacy. (only one of those slots was paid with cartel coins by myself. The rest I bought off the market).

Thats a nice suggestion, I definitely agree with you. There should be AC change with Cartel Coins and with a cooldown which should be a long time. For example you have a commando and also you have lots of rare items and rare speeders, pets, etc and you dont like being healer with that character or being stationary ranged dps. You should be allowed to change your AC. So you will be able to try a tank or semi-melee dps with your all items that you had collected before. Also it won't affect your story or planet missions and codex.

The devs have already stated interest in bringing this in to the game. So it is no longer a fact that it will not happen, though it is unlikely to happen. That "fact" went out the door with the prior dev team I would expect.

You can, however, hope it does not happen and believe it would be a mistake. You are naturally entitled to that opinion. I share that opinion.

Edited by LordArtemis

I'm on the fence with this one. The game gets funding through subs, and originally, if you wanted to try a different advanced class, you would have to create a new toon and play more. Which means more sub time and more funds for the game. But now, since you can drop your sub and play to lvl 50 FOR FREE, it's not as effective a way of getting funds anymore.

So offer AC change on the CM! Now we can regain some of the lost funding! Makes sense to me. HOWEVER:

You begin walking a fine line here. At that point, why not offer the ability on the CM to create a lvl 55 character out of thin air? I can see the justification for it now, "We want to offer players who have limited play time the ability to jump right into the endgame and 'skip the leveling grind.'"

Slippery slope my friends. Tread carefully.

But in reality I'm sure it will cost like 6000 Cartel Coins to unlock it, then another 2000 Cartel Coins every time you switch (discounted 3.2% for subscribers, of course) with a 2 month cooldown.

Works for me. People who read and understood what their AC would be capable of doing before picking it won't lose anything and the ones that didn't helps the game with additional funding while getting their new class. Everyone wins. :)

Oh it will probably be implemented sometime.

Mainly due to all the whining about people picking the wrong AC (as if its hard to level up a new toon to where you pick your AC).

BUT, when it is eventually released (which, i hope, is no time soon), i forsee a wave of QQing and nerdrage on the forums because A: It will cost CC (buuuhh, subs should have eeeeverything free), B: Morons will not realize that almost all their gear will become useless (especially the ones playing AC's that have different armour types) and C: People will whine because they whine about everything nowadays.

Oh it will probably be implemented sometime.

Mainly due to all the whining about people picking the wrong AC (as if its hard to level up a new toon to where you pick your AC).

BUT, when it is eventually released (which, i hope, is no time soon), i forsee a wave of QQing and nerdrage on the forums because A: It will cost CC (buuuhh, subs should have eeeeverything free), B: Morons will not realize that almost all their gear will become useless (especially the ones playing AC's that have different armour types) and C: People will whine because they whine about everything nowadays.

As a sub, I'm okay with the advance class change costing CC. As a sub, still not okay with the dye packs. :p So obviously, you're mistaken, and subs can see the differences in various things.

I also fail to see how advance class changes means "become the new FotM" :p That's more like to be a change up between classes, and less likely (but not impossible) to be a change in one's advance class.