Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

Do you support a Mac OS X client for SWTOR?

This thread is for discussing support for an OS X client for Star Wars The Old Republic. Please keep comments related to that topic.

This is not a Bootcamp thread.

This is not a Mac Vs. PC thread.

Edited by Pencilvania

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't support it or not support it.

But, Macs actually running a Mac OS only make up about 5% of the market, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Untrue, Mac users are growing. Also Mac's are not bad for gaming as the hardware in them is usually fairly good for the video editting and 3d rendering software that is used on them.

No, you can bootcamp and retain 95% of your computer's performance. Or you can just be like a rational person, and not buy an Apple computer to game on.

<--- owner of 3 OS X/iOS devices.

100% not 95%, you dont lose anything by using windows other than you are in a different OS. Your GPU will also work better in Windows by updating to the latest drivers.

Not as well as a PC of equivalent cost would.

But then you are stuck with only windows, which is awful. And when people say the cost equivalent line, they never seem to count the amazing mac monitors/screens. They are breathtaking compared to most others. I know there is no way of convincing you as I used to hate mac until I went to film school and was forced to use one. I was dying to get back to my windows machine a few months later and then when I finally did it was terrible compared to the mac I was forced to use.

I've never looked back since.

I played beta on bootcamp although I would love to have a mac osx client!

/sign

Development time is better spent elsewhere. Since Macs are now nothing more than overpriced PCs with a different OS and can run Windows natively, there simply isnt reason enough to spend any development time on a MacOS client. That's my personal opinion, but I would imagine that the developers probably feel the same way.

100% not 95%, you dont lose anything by using windows other than you are in a different OS. Your GPU will also work better in Windows by updating to the latest drivers.

You're still running a different OS, and there are all sorts of OS differences (such as memory management) that you can definitely perceive while using a computer.

Development time is better spent elsewhere. Since Macs are now nothing more than overpriced PCs with a different OS and can run Windows natively, there simply isnt reason enough to spend any development time on a MacOS client. That's my personal opinion, but I would imagine that the developers probably feel the same way.

What your saying sounds like its well informed although its not. They would contract the work out to port the game for osx they wouldn't get creative and coding leads and take them away from the game lol derp. I don't think they do feel the same way as they already mentioned they play on macs.

Theres plenty of demand, heck wow did it.

But then you are stuck with only windows, which is awful. And when people say the cost equivalent line, they never seem to count the amazing mac monitors/screens. They are breathtaking compared to most others. I know there is no way of convincing you as I used to hate mac until I went to film school and was forced to use one. I was dying to get back to my windows machine a few months later and then when I finally did it was terrible compared to the mac I was forced to use.

I've never looked back since.

You can run MacOS on a PC if you really want to, its really not that hard.

Your "amazing" Mac monitors and screens are using the exact same Samsung TN LCD panels that are used in PC monitors. Just like your Mac, it is the exact same lowest-bidder PC hardware that other PC manufacturers use in a pretty box with a higher price tag.

This is not conjecture, this is not opinion, I work on all makes/models of computers for a living and I have torn apart thousands of them to replace broken internals. They are exactly the same.

You are paying extra for a name, a box, and MacOS, that's it.

You can run MacOS on a PC if you really want to, its really not that hard.

Your "amazing" Mac monitors and screens are using the exact same Samsung TN LCD panels that are used in PC monitors. Just like your Mac, it is the exact same lowest-bidder PC hardware that other PC manufacturers use in a pretty box with a higher price tag.

This is not conjecture, this is not opinion, I work on all makes/models of computers for a living and I have torn apart thousands of them to replace broken internals. They are exactly the same.

You are paying extra for a name, a box, and MacOS, that's it.

I'd love to find a laptop manufacturer that makes trackpads even near as good as Apple does. Even if you were right about the panels used in Macbooks (a quick glance at Dell or HP says you aren't, but whatever).

What your saying sounds like its well informed although its not. They would contract the work out to port the game for osx they wouldn't get creative and coding leads and take them away from the game lol derp. I don't think they do feel the same way as they already mentioned they play on macs.

Theres plenty of demand, heck wow did it.

First of all, contracting work to a third party to port the client to MacOS would be beyond suicidal. It wouldnt run worth a **** and would always be inferior to the Windows client, and they would be stuck supporting an inferior product for a small portion of their playerbase. it would be an absolute nightmare. If they were going to do a MacOS client, the only proper way to do it would be to build it from the ground-up in house.

Second, regardless of who made the client, its still an extra cost to develop and support that client. If the portion of the playerbase that would use that client are not enough to overcome the costs and be profitable, then they aren't going to do it... if they are smart anyway.

Bottomline: if they feel like its going to be worthwhile, they will do it. If they don't, they wont. They gathered machine information during beta signups to see who was running what, and I imagine they base any client decisions on the information they gathered during that time.

I'd love to find a laptop manufacturer that makes trackpads even near as good as Apple does. Even if you were right about the panels used in Macbooks (a quick glance at Dell or HP says you aren't, but whatever).

Depends on the model you are looking at. Apple only makes a couple of models, other manufs make tons of different models.

Dell, Gateway, and HP use the same trackpad apple does in some of their models. And I'm not wrong on the panels. A website isnt going to give you the same information as taking one apart and actually seeing exactly what's inside it will. Which I do on a daily basis.

If you want to delude yourself into thinking you are somehow getting superior hardware to other PC makers by buying a Mac and paying a premium for it, then by all means don't let me stop you. I am quite complacent in my knowledge of the truth.

If you ever happen to be in China, go tour the Foxconn factory. I'm sure you will find the experience to be *very* illuminating.

I know 3 people that played weekend betas on Macs on Bootcamp - on MacBook Pros and iMac's. Win7 + OS X Lion systems, nVidia GPUs. I don't think Bioware/EA will even contemplate a Mac OS X version until likely late 2012, and if game is very successful, to justify porting it, or hiring Aspyr or Cydia port or other.

Sadly, being a Mac User since 1983, I game on a PC. Either bootcamp-it on your Mac and fork out 149-349 for Windows 7 64-bit (depending on flavor, or upgrade), or for 2x that, buy an OEM PC box with PCI Express, upgrade vid card, and it ships with Win7.

Issue with Macs is that unless you have a Mac Pro or iMac, the Mac mini and MacBook/MacBook Pro's on-board non-discreet video isn't powerful enough. I've tried SWTOR Beta 11.11.11, Nov.25th, and Dec.2nd on 9400M and Intel HD 3000 and it barely runs at 800x600 with more than about 12 fps - on CPUs ranging from Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz - 2.4 GHz, and tried it on latter Intel Integrated on a Core i7 2.7GHz. The GPUs are very lacking - optimized for battery efficiency and making the OS run smoothly, but not for gaming. So, even though there are 10's of millions of Mac Users, only a fraction actually have iMacs or Mac Pros with sufficient GPU processing power to handle SWTOR. WoW runs fine on any Mac from 2008+, but SWTOR isn't WoW. Demands are far more taxing.

Untrue, Mac users are growing. Also Mac's are not bad for gaming as the hardware in them is usually fairly good for the video editting and 3d rendering software that is used on them.

Mac users are growing, but many of them are not running Mac OS on their machines.

Every year there's an industry stat put out for what computers are using what OSes

Mac OS was 5% last year

Linux was 7%

The rest was Windows with a few percentages lost to more obscure OSes