Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

Do you support a Mac OS X client for SWTOR?

Yes. It runs using Wine. Runs great even given solid GPU & RAM. Note: Alt + Tab freezes the game. Tested on: OS X 10.10.5, SWTOR 6.0

1. Install Wine 2.0 & Winetricks (can install both using Homebrew in Terminal)

2. Use winetricks to install msvcp90=native d3dx9 vcrun2008 msls31 winhttp

3. Use wine to run SWTOR_setup.exe (installs your setup files)

4. Once setup finished add the following lines to ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Electronic Arts/BioWare/Star Wars - The Old Republic/launcher.settings file using TextEdit:

"PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }","bitraider_disable": true

Save the launcher.settings file.

5. Put swtor_fix.exe download from https : // github . com / aljen / swtor_fix (no spaces) into ~\.wine\drive_c\

6. Put SWTORLaunch.app into Applications from the .dmg file (same name) also downloaded from the link above.

7. Run SWTORLaunch.app to install SWTOR. The launcher pops up in a Wine window. (Note: game is Gigabytes big and takes ages to download)

8. Once install finished close SWTOR and the 2 Terminal tabs that are open (i.e, swtor_fix.exe and launcher.exe).

9. Open winecfg in a new Terminal. Under the 'Graphics' tab, tick the 'Emulate a virtual desktop' textbox, set Width & Height to your monitor's resolution and click Ok.

10. Open SWTORLaunch.app to run SWTOR. Note the launcher pops up in a Wine window. Just interact with it like you would on windows.

**SWTORLaunch.app (applescript) opens Terminal running swtor_fix.exe and launcher.exe in separate tabs - these two wine executables need to be running concurrently for SWTOR on MAC OS X to work. Please let me know if you have any issues with SWTORLaunch.app so I can update it. SWTOR on MAC has been running great for me. Even better on the 2012 MAC than the old PC.

Edited by poyntz

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

HI mates,

I'm using playonmac with wine 1.7.53 to run SWTOR. Didn't had any trouble until now.

Since the last launcher update, I can't play to swtor anymore.

Basically the launcher never open.

Anyone having the same problem ?

Edited by manuuuuuuu

HI mates,

I'm using playonmac with wine 1.7.53 to run SWTOR. Didn't had any trouble until now.

Since the last launcher update, I can't play to swtor anymore.

Basically the launcher never open.

Anyone having the same problem ?

Like, how did you bump this thread instead of finding the ones on the front page about it?

Brief version: the updated launcher doesn't work under Windows XP or Wine. Bioware will probably fix that. Wine will patch to support the new thing later, probably by taking a patch from a guy on this forum.

In the meantime, your solution is in this thread:

You will need to download and extract the binaries from a third party site (I consider them trustworthy, but your level of concern may vary). You will need to rename or remove any existing /bitraider and/or /patch subdirectories in your swtor directory. Then you will need to modify your launcher.settings file by inserting the specified option to prevent it from using the new launcher.

This is a workaround where you use the old launcher, and prevent it from updating. Hopefully Wine will be updated in mainline before October, OR that Bioware fixes it and then you can just remove the line in the settings file and it will update at that time (hopefully to a newer launcher that works).