Legacy Questions - What Good Is It ?

Okay, I've been gone from SWTOR for about two years, and when I quit, the Legacy thing had just started so I never learned a whole lot about it. I looked it over and saw that you can make all your alts related or something, same last name ? How does that work and do you have to have the last name visible ? Is the last name the same as the legacy name ? Basically, I just need a down and dirty run through of what Legacy does for my characters in the practical sense. The tutorial on it really didn't cover a whole lot of the nitty gritty info I'm looking for. Any advice or help to flesh the legacy thing out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

As posted by DarthDymond

Welcome back! The "Story and Lore" forum isn't really the best place to get answers to a game-mechanics question, but I'll take a crack at it to see if it helps you:

The first time you get a character on any particular server to a certain point in the Story (I believe the end of their "Prologue") you'll gain access to the Legacy tab and be prompted to create a "Legacy Name". So, for example, you make a Sith Inquisitor named Dominicus, get him past the Dromund Kaas Class Missions, and will then be able to make the "Saxon" Legacy.

From that point on, every character of yours on that server, including both existing ones you had already created before you chose the "Saxon" name and any new characters you create going forward, will be part of the Saxon Legacy.

Under the Legacy Tab (for any characters, even those who haven't yet finished their Prologue) you will then be able to unlock all sorts of bonuses. Some you can unlock through certain achievements (for example reaching Dark Side V and Level 50 on a single character will unlock the "Sacrifice" ability for all characters in the Legacy) and others by purchasing them with Credits or Cartel Coins. Some of these unlocks are "Character Perks", that only apply to the current character you are unlocking them for (such as the XP boosts), but the rest are unlocked for all characters in your Legacy (such as getting a mailbox on your starship).

By default (I believe, although you may have to toggle it "On") the Legacy name will display as a surname for all your characters. So "Dominicus" will then display as "Dominicus Saxon" and if you create a new Jedi Knight character named "Anglo" he will start right from level one as "Anglo Saxon".

There is an option, either on your Character Sheet (press "C" and click the little icon right next to your character name) or under the Preferences Options (press "Esc" and I believe it's under "Nameplates" section from the "Preferences" -> "Social" options), to toggle "Off" the Legacy surname for any particular character (So "Domincus Saxon" can go back to being "Dominicus" if you want, without affecting how the name is displayed on "Anglo Saxon" and vice-versa.)

Having the Legacy surname toggled on or off doesn't limit your ability to display other "Titles" you've unlocked, so once he's unlocked the "Lord" title, your Dominicus character can be either "Lord Dominicus" or "Lord Domincius Saxon", whichever you prefer.

Through your Character Sheet name options, you can also chose a "Legacy Title" to display (these are unlocked across the whole Legacy, Anglo unlocking one of these titles makes it available to Dominicus, etc), and one of the options will be your legacy name as "The Saxon Legacy". Displaying your Legacy name that way is mutually exclusive with other Legacy Titles you can unlock through Achievements and Reputation grinding. So you have to chose between:

Lord Dominicus

The Saxon Legacy

-or-

Lord Dominicus

Hero of Section X

The "Family Tree" option under the Legacy Tab has no influence on anything in the game, it's just a little thing you can throw together for you own amusement to sketch out how your different characters are connected, if at all (including things like "Rival" or "Ally" so not just "Sibling" or "Child").

Hope that helps.

Every time you finish a class companion's storyline you get a presence boost that applies to all characters in the legacy. Presence increases stats for all of your companions. At low levels my characters have higher presence than primary stat. You don't have to gear them as much and they still perform great.

Another feature is legacy buffs. When you finish Chapter 2 of a class, you unlock that class's buff for all of your characters. Getting all of the classes to around level 40 gives you a full set of buffs. Makes you more powerful and you can also share the buffs with your friends that haven't finished everything yet.

DarthDymond, thanks for the great info, very detailed and very helpful. You cleared up a lot of questions I had but I realize I have just a couple of others.

I think the game should have had it as a title option rather than a last name kind of thing. Unless you are serious into the roleplaying aspect of online games (not that there's anything wrong with it) I can't see a use in having all your characters with the same last name since we name our alts with cool sounding names. I mean Odysseus Saxon just doesn't fit, or a smuggler/sniper named Doc_Holliday Saxon ... even worse. But have a title "of the Saxon Legacy" would be much better, IMHO of course.

Here's something odd, my first level alts that I just re-created on this server all have the legacy tab flashing. I did have a ... 29th ? level character on here but deleted him to start over and experience the game from the start. I figured after being gone two years, that would be the best way to get back into it. Maybe my old guy got to the legacy level and triggered it available for the server, who knows. Just odd since he's been deleted.

All in all, the bonuses and little perks for being in a legacy sound nice, especially that xp boost thing or having a mailbox or a GTN console on your ship (I think that was one), very convenient. Just hate the whole same last name thing. My legacy name on a different server that I set up like a week before I stopped playing was Evocati_Augusti (the elite of the Roman Praetorian Guard) so I'm guessing my name would have looked like Dominicus_Saxon Evocati_Augusti ? Is that right ? Oh, can I have a dash at the start of the legacy name, i.e.: Dominicus_Saxon - Evocati_Augusti ? Now that would work cuz it would look like a title more than a last name.

DarthDymond, thanks for the great info, very detailed and very helpful. You cleared up a lot of questions I had but I realize I have just a couple of others.

Glad to be of assistance. :)

I think the game should have had it as a title option rather than a last name kind of thing. Unless you are serious into the roleplaying aspect of online games (not that there's anything wrong with it) I can't see a use in having all your characters with the same last name since we name our alts with cool sounding names. I mean Odysseus Saxon just doesn't fit, or a smuggler/sniper named Doc_Holliday Saxon ... even worse. But have a title "of the Saxon Legacy" would be much better, IMHO of course.

I'm either misunderstanding your point here or you may have missed part of my reply (it was pretty long so no shock if something got lost in the shuffle), but just to reiterate there is an option very much like what I think you're describing:

Through your Character Sheet name options, you can also chose a "Legacy Title" to display (these are unlocked across the whole Legacy, Anglo unlocking one of these titles makes it available to Dominicus, etc), and one of the options will be your legacy name as "The Saxon Legacy". Displaying your Legacy name that way is mutually exclusive with other Legacy Titles you can unlock through Achievements and Reputation grinding. So you have to chose between:

Lord Dominicus

The Saxon Legacy

-or-

Lord Dominicus

Hero of Section X

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying there though.

Here's something odd, my first level alts that I just re-created on this server all have the legacy tab flashing. I did have a ... 29th ? level character on here but deleted him to start over and experience the game from the start. I figured after being gone two years, that would be the best way to get back into it. Maybe my old guy got to the legacy level and triggered it available for the server, who knows. Just odd since he's been deleted.

Yeah, sounds like your Legacy just got "activated" for that server as soon as your character got to that point and stayed "on", deleting a character doesn't usually impact the Legacy as a whole (so for example, if you only got one Character to Dark V and then delete that character, you don't lose the Sacrifice unlock), so I guess it makes sense it would extend to activating the Legacy itself.

My legacy name on a different server that I set up like a week before I stopped playing was Evocati_Augusti (the elite of the Roman Praetorian Guard) so I'm guessing my name would have looked like Dominicus_Saxon Evocati_Augusti ? Is that right ?

Correct, if the Character name was Dominicus_Saxon and the Legacy Name was Evocati_Augusti, then the default way it would display is Dominicus_Saxon Evocati_Augusti.

Oh, can I have a dash at the start of the legacy name, i.e.: Dominicus_Saxon - Evocati_Augusti ? Now that would work cuz it would look like a title more than a last name.

Pretty sure the only character you can't have is a space. Though I've never tried, making your Legacy name into "-Evocatu_Augusti" seems like it should work, although I can't say with 100% certainty.

Picking a name that works well with "The _____ Legacy" as your Legacy title might work better though. I personally never use my Legacy name as a surname, but have that Legacy title displayed on three of them.

Edited by DarthDymond

Ah, yes, some of your info did get lost in the shuffle. That'll teach me to *looks left, looks right* get on these forums while I'm at work ... but it sounds like what I'm looking for is one of the options available to me as far as legacy names go.

I'm going to play around with some legacy names tonight then. Hell, if it's available to my new 1st lvl characters then I might as well capitalize on it any way I can. I think I kept my 35th lvl commando who did the legacy thing so I'll play around with that and see if I can get it how I like it, than go for that same set up on my 1st lvl guys on a different server with the unlocked legacy thing.

Edited by Dominicus_Saxon