Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Returning player so I can not remember the answer to this question

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Returning player so I can not remember the answer to this question

Upirlikhyi
05.09.2016 , 02:37 AM | #1
65 Sin getting ready to do the quests for Bowder to raise his rep to 10. My question concerns the new way comps are handled now. I didn't stick around long enough to find this out before but do they have like Healding +, Damage + , ot is it all just ramdom dumn luck?
I'm happy to pull my veins out
And braid a rope, I don't need hope
To know that you die slow

Mulroin
05.09.2016 , 03:02 AM | #2
If you are levelling it is the same as used to be until lvl 50. Affection through conversation.
Above that you have to buy there affection with gifts.
There are several ways to get companion gifts. They drop in chests you have to turn in at Odessen or you can buy gifts at the merchant in the cantina at Odessen. Buying gifts costs common crystals so you have to grind for those. Each gift is about 30 crystals.
Each companion likes a different type off gift so check that. Best affection gift gives about 2k affection.

ps, they also drop randomly,
My referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/lCHS8Z
Free character transfer and 7 days of sub time for returning players

Stable Gameplay is a lie.

Upirlikhyi
05.09.2016 , 03:13 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Mulroin View Post
If you are levelling it is the same as used to be until lvl 50. Affection through conversation.
Above that you have to buy there affection with gifts.
There are several ways to get companion gifts. They drop in chests you have to turn in at Odessen or you can buy gifts at the merchant in the cantina at Odessen. Buying gifts costs common crystals so you have to grind for those. Each gift is about 30 crystals.
Each companion likes a different type off gift so check that. Best affection gift gives about 2k affection.

ps, they also drop randomly,
I'm sorrry I didn't explain it well. I use Lana as my companiton. If I was t switch to another companion would there be a drop off in healing/dps?

Does one compantion at 65 have a speical abiltity tthat would make it better to situationally use each one is what I meant sorry it 4 am and a little tired
I'm happy to pull my veins out
And braid a rope, I don't need hope
To know that you die slow

KyaniteD
05.09.2016 , 03:45 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Upirlikhyi View Post
I'm sorrry I didn't explain it well. I use Lana as my companiton. If I was t switch to another companion would there be a drop off in healing/dps?

Does one compantion at 65 have a speical abiltity tthat would make it better to situationally use each one is what I meant sorry it 4 am and a little tired
No, their stats are based on your level and your presence, plus your influence (formerly affection) with the respective companion. Their abilities have been streamlined to be equivalent and the only situational difference I'm aware of and consciously considering is that some are ranged and some are melee.
Darkvs.Light:
Shepard Effect ᶩ彡
Donate your referral to
Dulfy / MMO-Fashion TORCommunityMe

exfell
05.09.2016 , 03:55 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Upirlikhyi View Post
There are reports on the forums about possible minor differences but they are supposed to be the same. Also not sure if the tech/force power bug has been fixed yet. Does anyone know?

Mulroin
05.09.2016 , 08:12 AM | #6
Only thing I am aware off they changed game play for some companions.
As example, Scorpio used to be a blunt weapon user. Now she is a ranged shooter.
Personally I think such changes suck because you are used to a play style with companions and such changes are so drastic different you have to totally figure out again how to best use em.
Why the sudden change in play style for some companions? I for one do not like that period. Specially if you went all the way in getting allot off affection and now that "team play" is destroyed.
My referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/lCHS8Z
Free character transfer and 7 days of sub time for returning players

Stable Gameplay is a lie.

Cay_Chamma
05.09.2016 , 11:06 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by KyaniteD View Post
No, their stats are based on your level and your presence, plus your influence (formerly affection) with the respective companion. Their abilities have been streamlined to be equivalent and the only situational difference I'm aware of and consciously considering is that some are ranged and some are melee.
Also, the affection level of the companion determines the Presence the character has. The higher the affection level the higher the presence that companion will add to the character. So, swapping a higher affection companion for a lower affection companion will affect the healing and damage that the companion will do, just because the boost from presence will be lower.

At least, that is how I've understood how the presence stat works.

JediAkemi
05.09.2016 , 11:28 AM | #8
As others have said, the more Influence you have over your companion, the better they perform.

I can't remember anyone that was actually have other than SCORPIO changing from melee pre-KotFE to ranged in KotFE or vice-versa (no doubt someone will correct me).

IanArgent
05.09.2016 , 11:49 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by JediAkemi View Post
As others have said, the more Influence you have over your companion, the better they perform.

I can't remember anyone that was actually have other than SCORPIO changing from melee pre-KotFE to ranged in KotFE or vice-versa (no doubt someone will correct me).
Couple people changed weapons, but not combat distances. Jorgan comes to mind. Also, the endless changes in weapon types for Corso and the various saber users. Previews of Torian suggest he's changing, but it could be like Vette weilding an assault cannon. (Which was awesome, BTW)
You want Things? Do some Work. Find me on Star Forge
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
that doesn't mean I want anyone else punished or shunned...we ALL matter.
Referral link - click it, or don't

KyaniteD
05.09.2016 , 02:04 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Cay_Chamma View Post
Also, the affection level of the companion determines the Presence the character has. The higher the affection level the higher the presence that companion will add to the character. So, swapping a higher affection companion for a lower affection companion will affect the healing and damage that the companion will do, just because the boost from presence will be lower.

At least, that is how I've understood how the presence stat works.
No, don't confuse presence and influence. Influence is what used to be affection and can be raised with gifts and dialog choices for each companion separately. Presence is a player character stat gained from gear, stims, datacrons and legacy achievements and it's the same value for all companions of one character.
Darkvs.Light:
Shepard Effect ᶩ彡
Donate your referral to
Dulfy / MMO-Fashion TORCommunityMe