Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Planetary Bonus Quest Problems and a noobs worst luck?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Planetary Bonus Quest Problems and a noobs worst luck?

Bruticis's Avatar


Bruticis
05.09.2016 , 09:48 AM | #1
Hello all, new player here and I'm trying to basically see and do everything I possibly can (content wise) as I'm REALLY enjoying the game. I keep running into the same issue on various characters with the planetary bonus quest series and I'm hoping for some solutions or a shoulder to cry on.

I first encountered a problem on my BH doing the Belsavis bonus quest (after doing all the previous ones in order up to Belsavis). I'm instructed to speak to Commander Vorel who in turn tells me I should complete a task for Major Locke. I see the quest icon on my mini map right where Major Locke is standing. However, Locke has no quest icon over his head on the game screen nor can I interact with him. When I examine my quest log, I noticed the task is actually grayed out. My initial thought was the quest line was just bugged for everyone but a friend of mine is able to get the quest from Locke and advance the bonus series. I've canceled the quest and reacquired it several times while trying various things like logging off, restarting, wearing different socks, etc but the outcome is always the same.

Discouraged, I finally gave up and decided to try another character, this time a Jedi. Of course, as my luck always seems to run, I've run into the same issue only this time much sooner, on the Taris bonus series. It's the exact same problem as my Empire BH on Belsavis. I took some screenshots to better document my issue, which are here and here.

What am I doing wrong?? It seems clear that this isn't some universal bug as my friend was able to do the Belsavis bonus quest without issue. Is there any hope for a fix at all for my characters? I noticed some of the achievements such as lore or champion mobs are tied into the bonus quests and I really don't want to miss out on those.

Jedi_riches's Avatar


Jedi_riches
05.09.2016 , 09:52 AM | #2
There is currently a issue where a player can complete a mission that's included within the bonus series before picking up the bonus series itself, the issue is because the quest is already completed the game won't allow you to pick it up again or realise you have already completed it and move the quest forward.
How PvP balance is achieved - Bioware please nerf paper its OP, scissors are fine as they are.
Regards,
Rock

Bruticis's Avatar


Bruticis
05.09.2016 , 10:05 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi_riches View Post
There is currently a issue where a player can complete a mission that's included within the bonus series before picking up the bonus series itself, the issue is because the quest is already completed the game won't allow you to pick it up again or realise you have already completed it and move the quest forward.
Oh wow, I just realized you're completely correct now that I looked at the details of one of the grayed out quests. UGH! This also explains why my friend could do it since he was skipping all quests apart from the class and planet quests (which I jokingly scolded him for). My damn OCD has become my own downfall since I always unlock the entire planet map, grabbing every single quest I can find as I go.
So if I want to complete these without issue on a new character, I should just do the class and plant quests first? I assume to be safe I should just skip everything else, do the bonus quest line and then I can go nuts with all the other quests? Is this the safest way to avoid the issue?

Jedi_riches's Avatar


Jedi_riches
05.09.2016 , 10:10 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Bruticis View Post
Oh wow, I just realized you're completely correct now that I looked at the details of one of the grayed out quests. UGH! This also explains why my friend could do it since he was skipping all quests apart from the class and planet quests (which I jokingly scolded him for). My damn OCD has become my own downfall since I always unlock the entire planet map, grabbing every single quest I can find as I go.
So if I want to complete these without issue on a new character, I should just do the class and plant quests first? I assume to be safe I should just skip everything else, do the bonus quest line and then I can go nuts with all the other quests? Is this the safest way to avoid the issue?
Well I think that usually side quests are done at the same time since they are often done in the same area, that said however, if you are not familiar with the bonus series then http://www.tentonhammer.com/guides/bonus-series-guide details all quests and quest giver names in the bonus series, so if in doubt you can check and leave as appropriate.
How PvP balance is achieved - Bioware please nerf paper its OP, scissors are fine as they are.
Regards,
Rock

Bruticis's Avatar


Bruticis
05.09.2016 , 10:17 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi_riches View Post
Well I think that usually side quests are done at the same time since they are often done in the same area, that said however, if you are not familiar with the bonus series then http://www.tentonhammer.com/guides/bonus-series-guide details all quests and quest giver names in the bonus series, so if in doubt you can check and leave as appropriate.
Perfect, thank you very much! While it seems rather silly they don't hide the quests until you're actually on the bonus quest line, I'm glad it isn't some random issue that can happen at any time without warning.

LordTurin's Avatar


LordTurin
05.09.2016 , 10:27 AM | #6
One thing that may be helpful, is that the purple triangles on your minimap indicate the planetary/class quests. So as long as you avoid picking those up until you have a mission telling you to do so (other than the first purple you pick up in the spaceport to kick off the planetary quest) you should be good.
Dragonslayer Mitthendil the Revanchist - Mercenary ||
Mitth'raw'nurudo from Beyond - Powertech || Elenmil the Revanchist - Scoundrel
Click this to say thank you if my post was helpful! :
http://www.swtor.com/r/lGKMGB

Bruticis's Avatar


Bruticis
05.09.2016 , 10:32 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by LordTurin View Post
One thing that may be helpful, is that the purple triangles on your minimap indicate the planetary/class quests. So as long as you avoid picking those up until you have a mission telling you to do so (other than the first purple you pick up in the spaceport to kick off the planetary quest) you should be good.
Thanks, I did notice that and I'll make sure I do that on my new characters. I've been turning on exploration missions from the map screen. I wonder if I hadn't checked that option, would the bonus quests not have shown up until I was actually on the quest?