I need some refined isotope stabilizer, and it's too expensive on GTN so it looks like I need to do some ops. I got kicked out of a fp group last time I tried multi-player because I got some loot that didn't pertain to me. Someone else needed it, got mad, and they kicked me out. What are the guidelines for loot in ops? What difference is need or greed? Do they use that?

I need some refined isotope stabilizer, and it's too expensive on GTN so it looks like I need to do some ops. I got kicked out of a fp group last time I tried multi-player because I got some loot that didn't pertain to me. Someone else needed it, got mad, and they kicked me out. What are the guidelines for loot in ops? What difference is need or greed? Do they use that?

When someone selects "need", those who selected "greed" don't get to roll at all.

So the fair thing to do is to pick greed. The idea is that you use need only on things this character needs. If you already have the gear piece but want it for an alt, that's greed, not need, and nobody *needs* a pet or decoration. If you want to do it differently, discuss it with the group beforehand.

Of course, If you want that pet and the others need on it, you would be a fool to select greed and forfeit your roll. This is why there is often that pause when rolling on something special, nobody wants to be the jerk who picks need when everyone else chose greed, but also not the fool who picks greed when the others chose need.

For ops, it depends on the group. Usually it's set to master loot, and the raid leader then lets you only roll on the item if you haven't already won another roll.

Edited by Mubrak

When someone selects "need", those who selected "greed" don't get to roll at all.

So the fair thing to do is to pick greed. The idea is that you use need only on things this character needs. If you already have the gear piece but want it for an alt, that's greed, not need, and nobody *needs* a pet or decoration. If you want to do it differently, discuss it with the group beforehand.

Of course, If you want that pet and the others need on it, you would be a fool to select greed and forfeit your roll. This is why there is often that pause when rolling on something special, nobody wants to be the jerk who picks need when everyone else chose greed, but also not the fool who picks greed when the others chose need.

For ops, it depends on the group. Usually it's set to master loot, and the raid leader then lets you only roll on the item if you haven't already won another roll.

I disagree with this general philosophy. Many people dont run AN operation or FP unless they need something from it, whether jts for their current toon or building gear for an alt. I view it as "If they didnt need something, they wouldnt be there in the first place." It helps temper expectations and emotions if someone needs on something you wanted, but didnt need. It becomes a problem whem other people try to determine someones intent, when they dont know the whole story. If someone needs, you have to assume they needed it for some aspect of their gaming experience. If they dont, they will greed. You may end up having 1 person who truly feels they need it vs others who dont, but would like it. Its up to everyone to gauge their own needs/greeds, and adapt it based on their group needs/greeds.

Edited by olagatonjedi

I need on anything I want including decos/mats right off the bat (if it’s for the toon I’m currently on). Makes it easy for everyone else. Don’t have to sit there and wonder if you’re going to get burnt trying to be nice. 7 years playing and that’s never caused a problem for me.