"Standard" Hybrid PVE Tanking build?

Yanikha

I have seen a lot of talk about a standard hybrid tanking build that is more effective than a full defense build. However, whenever I seem to find the actual build either it's some variation of a PVP build or it's linked to TORhead and the link doesn't work. Could someone post what ever is the going build for PVE tanking? I have read a ton on tanking and ops, but I'm worried my build will be lacking. Thanks

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't hold aggro worth a damn... You need to cap out the defensive tree to get your biggest aggro skill Guardian Slash.... without it you will lose aggro quite often.... Hybrid builds only work in PvP....

I won't take any hybrid PvE Tank on a operation run for this very reason...

Edited by Monoth

It won't hold aggro worth a damn... You need to cap out the defensive tree to get your biggest aggro skill Guardian Slash.... without it you will lose aggro quite often.... Hybrid builds only work in PvP....

This is ridiculous, and if you actually believe this I'm wondering if you've ever even beaten HM EC.

Just FYI, high threat moves mean they take the damage the move does and multiply it by 1.5 when determining threat. Overhead Slash already does 1.5 times the damage Guardian Slash does, AND its on a shorter CD, AND you get the bonus of supplying more damage along with your threat.

Hybrid thanks to the buff to Soresu threat generation, along with Sweep and Cyclone Slash, actually generates greater single target threat than full Defense tree. The only advantages to going full Defense are 2 extra hard stuns and better Focus generation for spamming things like Cyclone Slash... basically, tanking trash.

So if your goal is to tank HM FP's super smooth and dominate trash, sure, go full Defense. If you want better single target threat and better mitigation, the things that are actually important in tanking an Operation boss, go Hybrid.

That's not to say Defense can't tank HM EC, it can. Its also easier/smoother to do thanks to the greater Focus generation... but if both specs are played to their full potential, Hybrid is going to beat it. And that's on Bioware to fix the Defense tree, starting with restoring Guardian Slash's damage back to what it was.

EDIT: Btw, the hybrid I use for PvE is 17/23/1.

Edited by wadecounty

This is ridiculous, and if you actually believe this I'm wondering if you've ever even beaten HM EC.

Sorry Monoth but he's right. The hybrid is totally solid. I never lose threat unless I go into EC HM with ubergeared itemized pros (I'm still not quite full Campaign/BH), and even then, it's only at the beginning of the fight and my AoE taunt takes care of it every time.

Free Force Sweep is great for damage and threat and focus management. Reduced cooldown on Blade Storm is awesome for keeping up Blade Barrier.

And if you don't like respeccing every time you switch to pvp, the hybrid is absolutely the choice to make.

The above poster's spec is very good but very tilted to PvE. If you like to run PvE and PvP with the same spec, consider the following:

-Taking that point from Swelling Winds in the focus tree and putting it in Stasis Mastery.

-Divvy up the points between Solidified Force and Lunge and give them 1 each.

-Take 2 points from Dust Storm and give them to Momentum. Free Blade Storm with every leap, and Ive never been convinced the accuracy debuff is any good.

-Finally, I like a point in Purifying Sweep and I rob one from Blade Barricade to get it. Losing 1% defense chance that may or may not come into play is a good trade for guaranteed armor debuff.

OK ok ok...I have to go on record and say this. Although threat is an issue on guardians, you do not have to go hybrid...period. I say this because either way you go you lose something from one tree and gain something from another. If you are losing threat you need to look at a few things 1) rotation 2) damage output 3) effective use of all abils, stims, andrenals etc. and 4) playstyle. Because of guardians incomplete tank tree, there will be spike damage as the damage reduction abils dont seem to be 100% effective. ANd this goes back to another game that will remain unnamed...we should have addons and if your dps is gaining agro, why are they not using treat dump? I will be the first to say that knights are screwed on everything from the tree, to the inconsistant stats on some gear, to threat...aw hell the whole class is still inconsistant/screwed up.

you dont know what you are talking about. I have finished HM EC many times with this build:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/7eb55c16-f4fc-4aaa-b8d4-da3b57b7edf5

it does better dps than full defence, slightly less threat. it has significantly better survivability and is more single target oriented. however i have no threat problems at all.

Lyrik

Just FYI, high threat moves mean they take the damage the move does and multiply it by 1.5 when determining threat. Overhead Slash already does 1.5 times the damage Guardian Slash does, AND its on a shorter CD, AND you get the bonus of supplying more damage along with your threat.

Hybrid thanks to the buff to Soresu threat generation, along with Sweep and Cyclone Slash, actually generates greater single target threat than full Defense tree. The only advantages to going full Defense are 2 extra hard stuns and better Focus generation for spamming things like Cyclone Slash... basically, tanking trash.

So if your goal is to tank HM FP's super smooth and dominate trash, sure, go full Defense. If you want better single target threat and better mitigation, the things that are actually important in tanking an Operation boss, go Hybrid.

That's not to say Defense can't tank HM EC, it can. Its also easier/smoother to do thanks to the greater Focus generation... but if both specs are played to their full potential, Hybrid is going to beat it. And that's on Bioware to fix the Defense tree, starting with restoring Guardian Slash's damage back to what it was.

EDIT: Btw, the hybrid I use for PvE is 17/23/1.

Quoted for truth.

I use a full Defense build myself specifically because I am not tanking ops and use my Guardian for tanking HM flashpoints at the moment. Defense underperforms against the hybrid in both threat and mitigation, but is much smoother and easier to use because of superior focus generation. If you need to squeeze every drop of performance out of your Guardian then the hybrid is the way to go. If you can get away with not doing that then your life is much easier in full Defense.

Quoted for truth.

I use a full Defense build myself specifically because I am not tanking ops and use my Guardian for tanking HM flashpoints at the moment. Defense underperforms against the hybrid in both threat and mitigation, but is much smoother and easier to use because of superior focus generation. If you need to squeeze every drop of performance out of your Guardian then the hybrid is the way to go. If you can get away with not doing that then your life is much easier in full Defense.

what he said

• 2 weeks later...

Wadecounty,

I have just started a new Guardian (altoholic) and like your hybrid build. What do you suggest the build SEQUENCE be? Where should I concentrate my points first.....Defence or Vengence or a mix? I am almost exclusively solo PvE. I find different builds interesting, but usually have no idea what to do as I grow. Thanks in advance.

Edited by PadawanNavarr

I climbed Defense to the early 30s, then respecced to Vig once I could afford to grab Unremitting and still have eleven points free for Warding Call; you could do it with seven points free for Lunge and Momentum if you were leveling with Doc instead of Kira. That was a couple patches ago, though, and if I were to do it again I'd probably grab two in Momentum and just hoof it up to OH slash as fast as possible, then go back to Defense until 49 (Commanding Awe should probably be your last two points).

What I don't like about the hybrid build (the 18/23 one) in PvE is that Commanding Awe is basically useless, apart from the really nice flat 4% damage reduction. You can't really use Focused Defense because it costs a shedload of Focus which the hybrid doesn't really have and it's a threat dump so it's very dangerous to use with well-geared DPS. You can taunt back of course but with bosses frequently requiring tank swaps and such, it's dangerous.

Also, to make the most of Unremitting's damage reduction you have to Force Leap every 15 seconds. Perfectly reasonable in PvP but not always viable/advisable in PvE. So, basically, I'd still go with full Defense. Content in this game isn't really THAT hard that you need the absolutely maximum damage squeezed out from your tank; maintaining sufficient threat is much easier with full Defense (come on guys, Guardian Slash has a 3x multiplier on it) than with the hybrid. It has a greater margin for error and every available content in the game can be completed with it.

What I don't like about the hybrid build (the 18/23 one) in PvE is that Commanding Awe is basically useless, apart from the really nice flat 4% damage reduction. You can't really use Focused Defense because it costs a shedload of Focus which the hybrid doesn't really have and it's a threat dump so it's very dangerous to use with well-geared DPS. You can taunt back of course but with bosses frequently requiring tank swaps and such, it's dangerous.

Also, to make the most of Unremitting's damage reduction you have to Force Leap every 15 seconds. Perfectly reasonable in PvP but not always viable/advisable in PvE. So, basically, I'd still go with full Defense. Content in this game isn't really THAT hard that you need the absolutely maximum damage squeezed out from your tank; maintaining sufficient threat is much easier with full Defense (come on guys, Guardian Slash has a 3x multiplier on it) than with the hybrid. It has a greater margin for error and every available content in the game can be completed with it.

This is incorrect.

Defense is inferior for maintaining threat. Even with the modifier (which is only 1.5 not 3 as you suggest), Guardian Slash is only going to give you about as much threat as a single Overhead Slash and Overhead Slash has a shorter cooldown and, as such, can be used more often.

Wadecounty already pointed this out. I will quote him.

The only advantage of the Defense tree is greater focus generation. This means it is an easier spec to play. It is not, however, superior in terms of either threat or survivability to a well played Hybrid.

This is incorrect.

Defense is inferior for maintaining threat. Even with the modifier (which is only 1.5 not 3 as you suggest), Guardian Slash is only going to give you about as much threat as a single Overhead Slash and Overhead Slash has a shorter cooldown and, as such, can be used more often.

Wadecounty already pointed this out. I will quote him.

The only advantage of the Defense tree is greater focus generation. This means it is an easier spec to play. It is not, however, superior in terms of either threat or survivability to a well played Hybrid.

I meant that Guardian Slash gives 2.6 times (not 3, true enough) the threat of its damage value (obviously, that includes the buff from Soresu so the ability itself is on a 1.5 multiplier, yes). Which, combined with the superior Focus generation, makes it EASIER to maintain threat. I'm not saying the threat generation of full Defense is superior: it's easier. Overhead Slash costs 4 Focus in a Focus-starved spec, every 9 seconds, without any extra threat on it on top of what Soresu form gives. With full Defense I never have to worry about using Riposte whenever it's available or using Blade Storm on cooldown; with hybrid it's a challenge, precisely because of Overhead Slash eating up Focus all the time.

With Defiance and (maybe) Narrowed Focus, it's a good PvP spec (though I loathe to lose the two hard stuns) but I honestly can't see its appeal in PvE. That little extra damage won't really make a difference. If it does, your DPS have a problem. Also, Guardian Leaping and Force Leaping back and forth is a bit... taxing :)

All I'm saying is that someone who's just getting into Guardian tanking, Defense is the way to go.

All I'm saying is that someone who's just getting into Guardian tanking, Defense is the way to go.

I don't think you'd find anyone disagreeing with this.

The disagreement comes from the poster stating he'd never take a hybrid into HM EC, when that is precisely the type of content where the hybrid shines.

Also, you're ignoring that hybrid has better mitigation for several reasons (shorter cd on Blade Storm, 4% flat mit which is HUGE and unremitting which is just bonus, not something you're expected to constantly guardian leap out and leap back in to abuse). Its not just damage, the hybrid is tankier than full Defense, and that's a big deal.

Also, not sure what you mean about it being a PvP spec, there is a specific PvP version of the hybrid, that is different from the PvE one, where you take Force Rush instead of Blade Barrier, as well as no channel Stasis. We're clearly talking about the PvE version. And the only reason to ever take Narrowed Focus is full PvE Vigilance, because it only works while in Shien form and you shouldn't be standing in AOE in PvP.

Personally, I prefer tanking in full Defense myself as well, I just wish Guardian Slash did the damage it used to do. I was hoping the skill in the Focus tree that lowered Sweep's cooldown when using certain attacks wouldn't require Shii-Cho form, because it would've made a fantastic replacement for Guardian Slash in full Defense specs, just spec that and use Sweep every 8 seconds.

Edited by wadecounty

Before 1.3 I tanked HM EC in 8/31/0 spec without problems.

The damage reduction from Commanding Awe is better than Blade Wall as it is constant. It's is almost much better threat due to the DoTs and the mob always being armor dubuffed.

But if people prefer full defense then it's their choice, I just personally find Vigilance better over all for tanking :D

Before 1.3 I tanked HM EC in 8/31/0 spec without problems.

The damage reduction from Commanding Awe is better than Blade Wall as it is constant. It's is almost much better threat due to the DoTs and the mob always being armor dubuffed.

But if people prefer full defense then it's their choice, I just personally find Vigilance better over all for tanking :D

The Force Sweep armor debuff talent in the Defense tree is the easiest way to apply said debuff. And you're still free to take the Improved Sundering Strike talent, it's in the first tier of Vigilance.

Also, full Vigilance in Soresu form... well good for you if you can pull that off effectively - but I doubt it. Plasma Brand costs 5 Focus, Overhead Slash costs 4, Blade Storm costs 4: you sure as hell don't use Plasma Brand very often in Soresu... Or are you trying to tell us you tanked HM EC in Shien? In that case I call BS.

Edited by Siorac

What I don't like about the hybrid build (the 18/23 one) in PvE is that Commanding Awe is basically useless, apart from the really nice flat 4% damage reduction.

The flat 4% damage reduction is the entire point of the hybrid build, because that is more damage mitigation than 4% internal/elemental and 4% shield chance, which are the only mitigation talents in the defense tree once you get past Blade Barrier. Coupled with reduced cooldown on Blade Storm and the occasional defensive bonuses from leaps, you actually come out pretty far ahead on mitigation even if you never activate Focused Defense (tip: fire it off immediately before you were going to taunt anyway)

Edited by CitizenFry

The flat 4% damage reduction is the entire point of the hybrid build, because that is more damage mitigation than 4% internal/elemental and 4% shield chance, which are the only mitigation talents in the defense tree once you get past Blade Barrier. Coupled with reduced cooldown on Blade Storm and the occasional defensive bonuses from leaps, you actually come out pretty far ahead on mitigation even if you never activate Focused Defense (tip: fire it off immediately before you were going to taunt anyway)

Again, we're coming back to Focus generation: the reduced cooldown of Blade Storm is cool in Shien where you generate Focus like a nuclear reactor. Same with the synergy of Commanding Awe ("basically useless" was over the top, I should have said it's a lot less useful than in PvP) and Focused Defense. Overhead Slash every 9 seconds is a lot nicer when it costs 3 Focus, not 4 (I know, I know, I need 4 Focus to activate it either way). In Soresu, it's a different story.

Like I said, it's not really in issue in PvP where you can Leap more often, use Saber Throw more often, you can take the Defiance talent etc. In PvE, the Focus starved nature of the hybrid makes it very, very challenging to play it. Activating Focused Defense just before taunting is a decent tip but there's still the issue of Focus which it eats up. Again, with synchronizing it with Combat Focus and Guardian Leap - Force Leap combo, you can get away with it, probably. It's just a lot of work.

In my opinion, the increase in actual performance isn't worth the hassle. Full Defense will do the job at any type of PvE content in this game and it's far more comfortable to play. Unlike the guy a few posts above me, I'd take a well-played hybrid any time with me to an Operation, just don't make me play one.

Edited by Siorac

I don't find I have much in the way of focus issues at endgame. I can't remember the last time I even popped Combat Focus. The hybrid build gets Momentum, Victory Rush, Lunge and Effluence, and can easily free up a point for Stasis Mastery or Defiance (situational at best in Ops but pretty helpful in Flashpoints and fresh 50 dailies). The only focus builders you're losing there are Courage and Cyclonic, and Courage is redundant with Effluence to begin with. Start combat with a throw and a leap and use Master Strike when everything else is on cooldown and you're fine.

It can be a bit of a struggle leveling up, but if you're solo leveling just be in Shien. You're a hybrid after all. It's not that hard to tank silvers for Doc.

Again, we're coming back to Focus generation: the reduced cooldown of Blade Storm is cool in Shien where you generate Focus like a nuclear reactor. Same with the synergy of Commanding Awe ("basically useless" was over the top, I should have said it's a lot less useful than in PvP) and Focused Defense. Overhead Slash every 9 seconds is a lot nicer when it costs 3 Focus, not 4 (I know, I know, I need 4 Focus to activate it either way). In Soresu, it's a different story.

Like I said, it's not really in issue in PvP where you can Leap more often, use Saber Throw more often, you can take the Defiance talent etc. In PvE, the Focus starved nature of the hybrid makes it very, very challenging to play it. Activating Focused Defense just before taunting is a decent tip but there's still the issue of Focus which it eats up. Again, with synchronizing it with Combat Focus and Guardian Leap - Force Leap combo, you can get away with it, probably. It's just a lot of work.

In my opinion, the increase in actual performance isn't worth the hassle. Full Defense will do the job at any type of PvE content in this game and it's far more comfortable to play. Unlike the guy a few posts above me, I'd take a well-played hybrid any time with me to an Operation, just don't make me play one.

The point is that "basically useless" isn't just over the top. It is wrong by any standard. Yes, it is better in PVP, but the 4% damage reduction in PVE is more mitigation than you get from both of the mitigation talents that you get from the exchange of going full Defense instead. Commanding Awe is the best single thing you get from a mitigation standpoint by choosing either spec (that you can't also get in the other spec). What is the point of saying it is better in PVP if the PVE version is still the best mitigation talent available? What was the point of criticizing the talent at all?

I also think it was misleading to talk about the modifier for Guardian Slash when it still generates less threat than Overhead Slash even after the modifier. It is an inferior talent at the moment. Its damage needs to be buffed or the cooldown reduced.....or both.

I agree that Defense is easier and I have already said that I, personally, am specced Defense for precisely this reason. My point is that "ease of play" is the only way that Defense is superior. If you can learn to manage your focus in the Hybrid you will have superior threat and mitigation.

It really irritates me that the Defense tree has been neglected. A full Defense spec ought to be the best tanking spec available and that simply isn't the case. I think the devs in charge of addressing our specs should be ashamed.

Edited by RDeanOU

OK so lets clear a few things up http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...4-da3b57b7edf5 is a good hybrid build for boss tanking in end game.

It generates more DPS and as much or more threat while being far superior on mitigation to full guardian. People have said specifically how it is better on mitigation in recent posts so i wont repeat it. Really the hybrid is THE boss tank for end game content the full guardian spec is good for learning to tank, its also the better trash tank as it has better aoe and more focus so its easier to use. FOR engame boss tanking hybrid is the best tank in the game - by quite a bit.

If yuou think it has focus issues meaning you cannot use your abilities every time they cool down you are wrong. Heres how you do it.

Make 2 macros - you need a programmeable key board:

Macro 1: Blade Strom - Strrike - Sunder

Marco II: Overhead strike - Strike - Sunder

Macro 1 takes 4.5 second s to exicute - it costs 4 focus to start and generates 5 focus.

Macro II takes 4.5 seconds to exicute - it costs 4 focus to start and generates 5 focus.

Blade storm has a 9 second cool down, Overhead slash has a 9 second cool down. So if you are a complete noob with out a macroable key board you can use this hybrid spec with 4 buttons. If you make 2 marcos you need 2 buttons. you can use these two 3 step rotations one after the other forever - you will build focus and you will never lose agro after the first 15 sec.

If you are a little bit cleaver you will work out how to build riposte into each of these macros so you dont even need to think about that.

During the first fifteen seconds i saber - leap - blade storm - Sweep - Stacsis - Master strike.... then start with one of these two macros. This start generates 5 stacks of sunder, **** loads of threat, a blade barrier and 20% damage reduction from the leap.

This is not actually that hard to play - if you have been saying hybrid is crap and you want to be the best tank in the game go do this approach to hybrid for a week then reconsider. i doubt anyone saying hybrid is crap on this thread have actaully tried it - perhaps they did not set up these 2 simple 3 step rotations. Seriously

Edited by Mattmonkey

You are grossly exaggerating the effectiveness of the hybrid talent tree. Blade Storm + Overhead Slash combined just doesn't create the same threat as Hilt Strike + Guardian Slash + Blade Storm + Riposte. Commanding Awe is indeed quite superior in comparison to talent based mitigations, especially when coupled with Unremitting. However utilizing Unremitting's full potential by leaping back and forth will be quite confusing and may have a rather big room for error --- especially activating Focused Defense to make use of the talent's full potential. The focus problems in Hybrid tree is another issue that limits the tank in preserving all the focus it can generate to execute only 2 abilities mentioned above.

Overall, I believe Hybrid Build provides a bonus in mitigation in comparison to Defense tree and maybe slightly more DPS. But DPS shouldn't be necessary for a tank to execute. It is not necessarily superior in terms of threat, it may seem so on paper when making a direct comparison Guardian Slash against Overhead Slash, but activating Focused Defense or lack of Hilt Strike will cause a loss in threat generation -- not to mention the guardian leap - leap back process.

It is too much effort for miniscule bonuses and is a risky build.

Macro 1: Blade Strom - Strrike - Sunder

Marco II: Overhead strike - Strike - Sunder

Macro 1 takes 4.5 second s to exicute - it costs 4 focus to start and generates 5 focus.

Macro II takes 4.5 seconds to exicute - it costs 4 focus to start and generates 5 focus.

How do you figure? In Soresu form, Strike generates 1 focus and (talented) Sundering Strike generates 2 focus. In the hybrid build, taking damage grants 1 focus every 6 seconds. So in two runs of your macros, in 18 seconds, you generate 4 from Strike, 8 from Sundering Strike, and 3 from Soresu, or 15 total. Not enough to use Blade Storm and Overhead Slash twice (16), and certainly not enough to work in Riposte.

Look, I'm in favor of the hybrid too, but it's not that simple. You need to burn GCDs on Sweep and Master Strike to give Soresu more time to proc, use talented Force Stasis on cooldown, and use combat focus on cooldown as well. You should still be able to use Blade Storm every time it's up, and usually Riposte as well, but you will not be able to use overhead slash on cooldown.

I don't mean to throw a wrench into this conversation but... here it goes.

I use a 14/25/2 hybrid build. I have been evolving it and tried the 31 def pre 1.2, and have been working with various tweaks on the hybrid since then. I came here to see if anyone knows how much Blade Barrier absorbs. I've tried sithwarrior.com and most of the theorycrafting and still have yet to find how much "moderate" is. So after reading the other posts I'll break my response into 2 parts; my original goal and response to what I've seen wrong here thus far.

1) Is Blade Barrier worth it?

I use 2 2-set bonuses in my gear. I use 2 BM shells to give me an 8% self heal every time I Guardian Leap. This is mainly for boss transitions or trash clearing. Opening up: Saber Throw -> Force Leap -> Sundering Strike -> Force Sweep -> Overhead Slash -> Blade Storm -> Freezing Force -> Guardian Leap to rDPS/Healer -> repeat. For trash, not all the hits on the same target and throw in Master Strike/Strike/Sundering Strike to space some of it out. For single target trash/boss maybe remove Freezing Force/Guardian Leap from it (especially if positioning is critical like Zorn). I feel that combination of moves is more flexible and is superior to Blade Barrier (yes, more complex and possibly worse if not executed correctly). I already have points in Momentum and Unremmitting so why not capitalize on them? I don't feel that the 5 points for Blade Barricade + Free Riposte is effective use of my talent points nor do I feel the 3 points for Blade Barrier are effective either (2 for talent and 1 additional to open up the 4th tier).

TLDR: 2k self heal/15 sec + 20% armor for 4 sec/15 sec + Free Blade Storm vs. Blade Barrier's "moderate" + set bonus absorption/10 sec.

2) I think you guys are looking at the defense tree the wrong way. It should be about efficient use of skill tree points and building a rotation/gear based on that.

- Guardian Slash is the worst 31 point tank ability. Compare it to the Shadow's 31 point ability (Guard/Shadow) 15 sec cooldown, 1100 weapon damage, 3 stack of armor reduction, high threat/ 7.5 sec cooldown, 463 kinetic damage, decrease targets DPS, decrease targets movement. Ignore the side effects and look at the damage; Guard has 15 sec 1100 WEAPON damage vs Shadow's 7.5 sec 463 KINETIC (x2: 15 sec 920). Shadow gets +10% acc (weapon vs kinetic) but does 200 less damage. Even if over 15 sec it 'averages out' between the 2, the Guard is still more spike damage where the Shadow is smooth and consistent. A Shadow gets the quicker hit and constantly remains above the melee pull threshold, the Guard has 2x time for his threat to drop below that threshold and lose aggro --- then the tank has to surpass a higher threat value (not maintain a lower one). Replace Guardian Slash with more frequent attacks (Blade Storm 9 sec cooldown and kinetic, Overhead slash 9 sec cooldown weapon)

- Is 5 skill tree points worth it to have a free Riposte + 3% Defense? Especially when you can achieve so much more with 3 points in Dust Storm... -5% Acc = +5% Def.

- I float between 2 points in Solidified Force vs 2 points in Purifying Force. Free spam slow to control trash vs. more damage on trash (Sunden Armor + Force Sweep = more threat)

- For those that can't hold aggro without Taunts, I suggest you work on it. I only use Combat Focus/AoE taunt when I use Enure + Focused Defense with it.