*Spoiler* Who did you choose? (Trooper)

PepiDeto

Jorgan.

First off, I guess you could say I'm racist. I like Cathars better than I like humans.

Secondly, because I really think that Jorgan would make a better XO.

And finally, because he's had to put up with so much, it just seemed right to get him at least to the rank he'd lost when I took over.

Jorgan. He has experience as an operations officer for Havoc Squad, I got promoted over his head when he did not deserve it and I wanted to remedy as much of that as I could. Dorne is competent, but is junior in the squad. Jorgan has seniority and is capable. So he was my pick.

Jorgan.

First off, I guess you could say I'm racist. I like Cathars better than I like humans.

Secondly, because I really think that Jorgan would make a better XO.

And finally, because he's had to put up with so much, it just seemed right to get him at least to the rank he'd lost when I took over.

Cathars are a species, not a race.

You'd be Specist.

I promoted Jorgan. He was the scapegoat when Tavus and the others defected and he didn;t deserve to be. he has more experience and has been with the squad longer. He is also the love interest for my female trooper. Elara is a very capable officer but is not yet XO material.

I chose Dorne. There has to be some perks from boning your CO. :)

Arguably, it makes it more troublesome in the setting if the person you're sleeping with is in the same direct officer chain that you are in. If she's a sergeant, she's enlisted and technically not in the same direct place that would be considered "fraternization" in a modern military.

In other words, if this story was more dynamic and responsive, you'd be in a lot more trouble promoting someone strictly because you like sleeping with them. It'd make for poor troop morale, among other things.

I went into this open minded and asked them both to make their cases. Jorgan was a total whiner about the whole thing, which just put me off the idea of having him as my 2ic. I mean, who wants to be consulting with an arrogant, stuck-up, self-important prat all the time? Though I did have concerns about the fact that my character would now be romantically involved with his XO, however, the decision was made purely by the fact that Elara was efficient, didn't complain and got the job done - though I'm sure the brass wouldn't see it that way!

I chose Dorn simply because I didn't want to lose affection with her and because as a Tank she was my primary companion. In terms of an actual command appointment I think Jorgan is a better choice, he's had more experience and while he can't quote rules chapter and verse like Dorn I think he has a better idea of the spirit of what the rules are trying to uphold.

Spoiler Question.

Does your choice ever come up again? Does it have a meaningful impact at some point? Besides maybe a conversation here or there... "Thanks for the promotion" "Hey, screw you for not picking me!"

What I mean is at some point the one you picked has to make a descision of their own and depending on who you picked might have a different outcome. Like perhaps Jorgan is more suited in this regard.

I have not played the Republic Soldier yet.

Spoiler Question.

Does your choice ever come up again? Does it have a meaningful impact at some point? Besides maybe a conversation here or there... "Thanks for the promotion" "Hey, screw you for not picking me!"

What I mean is at some point the one you picked has to make a descision of their own and depending on who you picked might have a different outcome. Like perhaps Jorgan is more suited in this regard.

Too the best of my knowledge, no.

I went with Jorgan. Even if I didn't love him to bits I would have because he was more experienced, had been with the squad longer, deserved it after being railroaded, and is more practical which is what my trooper prefers in the field. Elara needs to learn how to make decisions without consulting a rulebook before she's ready for a leadership role.

Well, when I got Tanno Vik (the jerk), Jorgan offered to put him in his place as my XO, but aside from that, I don't remember anything.

I'm surprised there isn't more love for Tanno Vik in this forum. What with all the people saying Jorgen is "stuck up" for being by-the-rules and professional as a soldier. Sure, he complains, but he was deeply stiffed and made a scapegoat for Havoc Squad's betrayal. That's gotta hurt.

• Dev Post

This was something I thought about a lot as we were developing the storyline. Ultimately, I think that if there were a mission where one character performed the XO job better than the other, Players would feel obliged to metagame and choose the "better" character regardless of personal/roleplay preferences. I think this is borne out somewhat in the posts from players who (sadly) chose a character solely out of fear of losing their romance options. (As other posters have confirmed, romances are not affected by this choice.)

My goal was for there to be no "correct" choice from the game's perspective, only from your own point of view as the commander of Havoc Squad. On that note, it's very fun reading everyone's opinions on the choice, so thank you all for sharing. :sy_havoc:

• Like 1

Arguably, it makes it more troublesome in the setting if the person you're sleeping with is in the same direct officer chain that you are in. If she's a sergeant, she's enlisted and technically not in the same direct place that would be considered "fraternization" in a modern military.

In other words, if this story was more dynamic and responsive, you'd be in a lot more trouble promoting someone strictly because you like sleeping with them. It'd make for poor troop morale, among other things.

While I agree with you on this one doesn't the military also have rules on officers and enlisted "fraternizing"? I didn't think officers and enlisted could mingle like that. So I would think if you were both officers it would be less frowned upon.

Spoiler Question.

I was thinking this myself. I mean if i get promoted again I would easily make him an officer again. However I do think he can be more useful as an NCO because NCOs are more respected by those in the ranks and most of them have more command experience than officers and know how to get the job done better than officers. I also thought about this when promoting Dorne not just the romance side but the fact that I think as my squad grows Jorgan can play a larger role as an NCO than an officer...

While I agree with you on this one doesn't the military also have rules on officers and enlisted "fraternizing"? I didn't think officers and enlisted could mingle like that. So I would think if you were both officers it would be less frowned upon.

When I was in the Army, the rules were against enlisted having relationships with enlisted in the same branch, OR officers having relationships with officers in the same chain of command.

It's obvious why this is in place: promoting a woman because she sleeps with you is very, very corrupt.