Cae's Guide to Vanguard Tanking in 2.0

Justcae

Sup Cae, fist of all thanks for the guilde! very nice

So, i guess that you are now almost full 78? what are your stats?

atm im full 78/72

and my stats are:

Health: 39.6k

Damage Reduction:51%

Defence: 20.42%

Shield: 41.06%

Absorb:35.07%

but i feel a little bit squirty... what do you think i should change?

thank you very much for our help :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Defense rating) does however drop off, and is not needed past a certain point. Beyond that defense is only used in attacks against you that are classified as "Melee" or "Range.

When does this start?

What level gear do you start dropping Defense Rating and start piling on the Absorption Rating?

I have 66 gear.

A really helpful thread. Thanks for taking the time to make it! :)

Duran'del here:

I'm a 55 PT tank, and I have a slightly modified version of the ST tree. I have my CD of Flamethrower by 3s instead of 1.5s. I also have the Obroan Relics of FR(Fortunate Redoubt) and Reactive Warding. I've also got 8 defense augments, 3 absorb, and around 2 shield augments.

Edited by TheSupaCoopa

So, i guess that you are now almost full 78? what are your stats? atm im full 78/72 and my stats are:

I've kind of stopped doing PvE now and have changed to playing more PvP instead (not really run much on DF & DP HM, but did NiM TfB & S&V). However, on my vanguard tank, which is in 78/72 gear, my stats are (no stims):

Health: 38.8k

Damage Reduction: 51.5%

Defense: 18.16% (rating: 531)

Shield: 41.20% (rating: 1029)

Absorb: 40.09% (rating: 687)

For the amount of mitigation that you have, you are possibly stacking too much in defense; as Cae said earlier in the thread, shield/absorb helps you against more types of attack than defense does, so it's better in more fights.

I have 5 Bulwark enhancements (shield/absorb) and 3 Bastion (shield/defense) and in terms of mods, only have one that has defense and all the rest have absorb. All my augments are for either shield or absorb. You'll need to tweak your set-up though depending on what gear you have (i.e. my earpiece and implants have shield/defense rather than absorb) and also, what relics you are using (clicky/proc defense and shield/absorb) is also important.

Edited by Ayakin_Solaris

• 1 month later...

in your first part you are saying:

2) Whomever is the current highest on threat, it will take their threat and multiply it by the amount needed to pull aggro from them, and give that value to you. This value can be massive. Currently in game all taunts appear to be calculated as if from range. That's right. It gives you 130% of the highest threat on the mob currently. This is huge and follows into the next part.

Taunt Boosting

Your character while tanking is obviously on this threat table. Whomever has the highest value of threat on a mob is used for the threat added calculation. In most cases this person is you. That means if you are tanking a boss, and you are the highest person on threat, and you have still not lost aggro to someone but you hit your taunt anyways you will actually boost from yourself.

Every time you hit your taunt, take ALL of the threat you've generated on that mob. Add an additional 30% threat to what you've already done. Been fighting an NPC for 30s? Yeah by pressing that button that functions of GCD, you've just gained an addition 10s of threat magically.

is there a place where i can find more information about this? or a place that can approve that information?

So, i guess that you are now almost full 78? what are your stats?

atm im full 78/72

and my stats are:

Ghost,

The being squishy thing is actually just a result of RNG vs Harder hitting abilities and understanding where your cooldowns are best used.

My current stats are

HP: 44k

Defense: 20.5%

Shield: 42.5%

Absorb: 39.8%

There are times where my character will get spiked for large amounts of damages (Looking at you Raptus). You're definitely not doing anything wrong with your gear load out with the stats you have mentioned. Focus on building your screens more proactively so keep your 25% absorb up. When you actively work towards it, you'll see a difference.

Don't be afraid to use your cooldowns, especially riot gas. Proactive cooldown usage is way more effective than reactive.

When does this start?

What level gear do you start dropping Defense Rating and start piling on the Absorption Rating?

I have 66 gear.

A really helpful thread. Thanks for taking the time to make it! :)

I use 20% defense as my goal for defense, and after I achieve that move on to my Shield/Absorb min/max. The reason why I suggest defense first is that you'll see a great gain from it especially in the leveling process as it's a single stat, where Shield/Absorb rely on one another. A lot of the damage you'll see in FP's is also affected by Defense.

in your first part you are saying:

2) Whomever is the current highest on threat, it will take their threat and multiply it by the amount needed to pull aggro from them, and give that value to you. This value can be massive. Currently in game all taunts appear to be calculated as if from range. That's right. It gives you 130% of the highest threat on the mob currently. This is huge and follows into the next part.

Taunt Boosting

Your character while tanking is obviously on this threat table. Whomever has the highest value of threat on a mob is used for the threat added calculation. In most cases this person is you. That means if you are tanking a boss, and you are the highest person on threat, and you have still not lost aggro to someone but you hit your taunt anyways you will actually boost from yourself.

Every time you hit your taunt, take ALL of the threat you've generated on that mob. Add an additional 30% threat to what you've already done. Been fighting an NPC for 30s? Yeah by pressing that button that functions of GCD, you've just gained an addition 10s of threat magically.

is there a place where i can find more information about this? or a place that can approve that information?

And Hi again Ghost.

You can find the evidence of this in your combat logs. Go to your ingame preferences, and then enable combat logging. Use a third party program/website like torparse, or parsec and you'll be able to see it. I was looking through my old combat logs on Torparse (all of which are sadly 5+ months old, as I took to using Parsec), and was going to screen shot an image of my ending taunt on a Thrasher fight where a single button click gave me 393k threat. This is a log where I only used my ST taunt on Thrasher 4x's. In other fights where you can use your ST on cooldown if you wished your threat gets way out of hand. By the end of a fight you'll have so much threat on the boss that your total threat will eclipse the bosses total health pool.

It is the single greatest threat utility in the game. Your understanding that it is indeed how it functions will make you a far better tank.

Summary:

1) Yes it does work.

2) Yes you do boost off your own threat.

3) After the initial pull of the fight, no matter how dickish your DPS wants to be they can't hope to touch you. Ever. Doesn't matter if they pop everything, they can't touch you. The only part of a fight where threat is ever in question is that initial pull and how you go through your opening rotation/taunt sequence.

Ps. Sorry for the delay guys.

Edited by Justcae