My first ever rage quit

For the first time ever playing swtor I rage quit on a group last night as a healer.

Queued for a SM OP, got KP. One of the tanks asks the other to main tank it, since he's never run it before. The now "main" tank says "sure, I've done it twice". 2 DPS say they've never gotten past the 3rd boss, and have basically no gear. No worries, we got that out of the way, and I know this isn't going to be a speed run, and I'm going to be doing a lot of typing instructions. Plus me and the other healer are seriously overgeared, so we should be fine.

- First boss...no real problems, since he can't be tanked anyway.

- Jarg & Sorno...some of the DPS are not paying attention to our pleas to kill the carbonizer probes, or switch bosses to keep them even. End up dropping one or two group members, but we still one-shot it. I initiate a vote-kick for the most oblivious DPS, but because others were not paying attention, it expires and I can't get rid of him at that point. Fine, he get's a warning, and he promises to pay attention after that. To his credit, he did.

- Foreman Crusher - "main" tank positively melts at first frenzy, even with both healers chain healing him. Can't combat rez because he releases, and then complains he can't get back in until we all die. Off-tank doesn't use any defensive cooldowns on the next frenzy and dies. We wipe to try again.

At this point, I finally inspect the main "tank's" gear, and find he has a focus in his offhand. I whisper him whether he has a shield or not...he says "I think so." But his offhand doesn't get changed, so I know he has no idea what the difference between a shield and a focus is. He dies, again, on the first frenzy. But we combat rez, and focus healing on the off tank, who at least has a shield. Main tank dies again on the third frenzy, and immediately asks for another rez. "Sure, as soon as it is off CD.." We get the boss down with chain healing the off tank. Me and the other healer agree there is no way this group can single tank fabricator on story mode.

- I type "don't pull this group until I say...I am marking CC targets". Group is pulled a few seconds later, and we wipe. But at least the creeper is dead.

- DPS DCs and we have to get a replacement. While waiting on a replacement, the tank decides to go start hitting Fabricator...normally harmless fun, but somehow he ends up getting us stuck in combat, so when we do get a replacement he can't join us because we are in a boss fight. We all have to /stuck, and I have to reset phases. Yippee, we get yet another chance at the trash! CCs actually get off this time, one of the party members reminds everyone "no AOEs", but the CCs are still instantly broken, and we wipe.

Find out our replacement DPS is actually a decent tank, so we reconfigure rolls and press on.

- Working the puzzle with a DPS that has never done it before, but learns quickly with minimal pre-pull practice, and we get Fabricator down in one try. Between the new tank and this DPS, maybe there is hope for this group yet.

- I say "don't run into the next room". Our former main tank runs into the room, we wipe. Try again. I mark CC targets, they get stealth CC'd, I say "burn target", someone else reminds them "no AOEs", and we pull. CCs are instantly broken, and people are dying.

And that was it...I exploded in a fit of rage and quit. My lesson learned is that I need to leave fail groups much sooner before I blow up at them with an expletive-riddled goodbye and end up on 7 more ignore lists.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give you props for last that long and having that much patience with the group :cool: .

I think we all the (being the more geared or experienced players) feel your pain and understand why you did what you did. I have had to do the same on my tank before but my rage quit was in LI and 2 of the DPS were in all battlemaster gear which usually its too much of a problem but when they dont keep kill the ads in the Droid fight (second boss fight) and after 3 wipes on the same boss for the same reason its time to throw in the towel.

I'll give you props for last that long and having that much patience with the group :cool: .

I think we all the (being the more geared or experienced players) feel your pain and understand why you did what you did. I have had to do the same on my tank before but my rage quit was in LI and 2 of the DPS were in all battlemaster gear which usually its too much of a problem but when they dont keep kill the ads in the Droid fight (second boss fight) and after 3 wipes on the same boss for the same reason its time to throw in the towel.

You're doing it wrong, the idea is to AoE the adds but not have the dps too focused on them too much as it's a fight you'll be losing too much dps in anyway (especially melee). Considering they were in BM gear the last thing you want is them wasting their dps on the adds because you'll run into risk of the enrage timer.

Huh, I've tanked since game launch, and I never knew my focus is better then a shield. I'll have to try that next time I run TFB. I mean, it's only natural to wipe 7,000 times.

And no offense, but why did you quit right before Karagga? Sounded like you could actually beat him. I personally just hate being locked out at the final boss fight, but that's just me.

Thanks all for the replies. I needed to share. :-)

Huh, I've tanked since game launch, and I never knew my focus is better then a shield. I'll have to try that next time I run TFB. I mean, it's only natural to wipe 7,000 times.

Lol.

And no offense, but why did you quit right before Karagga? Sounded like you could actually beat him. I personally just hate being locked out at the final boss fight, but that's just me.

Yes, that would have been the rational/smart thing to do. But we all have our breaking point, where no matter the consequences, we just want to punch someone in the face. I actually should have left before reaching that point, as I'm sure I earned an ignore from one or both of the competent players after that.

For the first time ever playing swtor I rage quit on a group last night as a healer.

[summary: NoFishing has hours of his life wasted by lying/incompetent players.]

And that was it...I exploded in a fit of rage and quit. My lesson learned is that I need to leave fail groups much sooner before I blow up at them with an expletive-riddled goodbye and end up on 7 more ignore lists.

I salute your patience bro, last time something like this happened to me I ended up "having an emergency" and logging of to get some fresh air. You've got to be either the nicest guy ever or the most patient to put up with all that BS.

That's why I usually tank, because i can control better these aspects. One thing that I learned is using ops announcement (you dont need to be leader, just a ops lieutenant will do the trick) and shouting "DON'T ENTER NEXT ROOM", "DON'T AOE" and "DON'T BREAK CC" because the chat channel is flooded with loot info after the bonetrasher

Every time i try to be dps i suffer from things like that.

had similar runs like these in a few other mmos and in a couple it was almost non existent.

the reoccurring problem i have been seeing in this one is the constant breaking of cc and running ahead of the tank. just last night had a new 50 player dps attacking all of the cc mobs in bh cts. the other dps called him out and briefly he stopped but then continued on.

in game voice channel(s) would be really nice to have in this game as it would make communication so much easier for the lfd ops and hm groups so many of us do. also having a ui that has a all the time built in ability to attack target of target making a main assist(s) feasible would eliminate most of that runs problems too.

for myself a built in permanent ui ability to attack target of target is more of a mmo staple than a lfd is and am baffled why this game just doesnt have it. each their own i guess.

I do not PUG ops often, but the biggest problems I've had with them are the extremely undergeared tanks who don't know how to tank. Second are subpar DPS'.

The worst DPS I ever came across in a PUG was a guardian. I inspected him and found out that he was wearing smuggler pants and boots, sage implants, shadow tank earpiece and so on. I think he just ran a bunch of FPs, needed on everything purple then put it on. lol I don't think it's possible to get any more noob than that.

Edited by Radzkie

Oh, man. Give yourself a pat on the back for staying as long as you did. I haven't been in a group like this in a long while, I thought everyone was pretty familiar with EV/KP at least. I enjoyed the read, it's like watching a trainwreck happen, I empathize. I suppose this could be a new normal, with (hopefully!) an in-flux of FTP players, but I applaud your tenacity. People are generally good about thanking healers, and I hope they did thank you and your healing comrade. As a mostly DPS player, I salute you. And don't beat yourself up about your first ever rage quit- for your own sanity you had to do it!

The worst DPS I ever came across in a PUG was a guardian. I inspected him and found out that he was wearing smuggler pants and boots, sage implants, shadow tank earpiece and so on. I think he just ran a bunch of FPs, needed on everything purple then put it on. lol I don't think it's possible to get any more noob than that.

Wow, that's uhm.....just....WOW!

Impressed you stuck it out as long as you did. Probably my most ridiculous experiences with a PuG was in one of the heroics on Hoth, the one where you have to kill a bunch of Mandalorians and Wampas in order to get a PoW for the Republic. Me and my friend were paired as heals and tank as usual, and this Guardian joined and he was using one of the DPS stances and was saying he was a tank. We tried to get him to switch to Soresu but he was like I KILL FAST I AM BEST TANK and so I had to compete with a DPS specced tank taunting off me all the time, I believe his gear was also subpar.

I do not PUG ops often, but the biggest problems I've had with them are the extremely undergeared tanks who don't know how to tank. Second are subpar DPS'.

Wow, that's incredible. I don't think I can top that one, lol.

@OP: I don't use GF for ops and rarely for FP's now. I don't need to suffer the stupidity for 5 BH comms. I've had a similar experience with a HM KP, though. I was trying to tell the tank how to tank Bonethrasher since he had no clue and then preceded to ignore me and wipe the group, repeatedly. I left, saying I was going to go do something else when he had the attitude to whisper me blaming me for being a "bad dps and wiping us then leaving". I guess it was my fault for joining their group, though. I soon learnt the whole server knew he was a noob.

Edited by Kanjir

Wow, that's incredible. I don't think I can top that one, lol.

@OP: I don't use GF for ops and rarely for FP's now. I don't need to suffer the stupidity for 5 BH comms. I've had a similar experience with a HM KP, though. I was trying to tell the tank how to tank Bonethrasher since he had no clue and then preceded to ignore me and wipe the group, repeatedly. I left, saying I was going to go do something else when he had the attitude to whisper me blaming me for being a "bad dps and wiping us then leaving". I guess it was my fault for joining their group, though. I soon learnt the whole server knew he was a noob.

Am I missing something? You don't tank Bonethrasher. He's untankable.

The only time I rage-quit a flashpoint was Collicoid War Games story mode. I was on my operative healing. There was also a sniper in the group. Some agent gloves dropped, which I needed on, as did the sniper. The guy then proceeded to harangue me in chat telling me I shouldn't have needed because they had accuracy on them and I was a healer. (Never mind that it's levelling gear so I might have wanted them for solo levelling, and both of us would have outgrown them in 2 levels anyway.)

After that he just wouldn't shut up in group chat, insulting me, calling me a ninja. I told him to shut up. The tank said, let's just get on with the flashpoint. This went on all the way to just before the final boss fight. I had enough so I instigated a vote to kick. The tank said he was taking a break and the rest of us should sort it between ourselves. I'd had enough; before the vote even finished I just left.

Want to know the funny part? He actually won the bloody roll!

I'm normally pretty mature and sensible and polite, but we all have our breaking point. 15 minutes solid of being insulted in chat was mine :mad:

This story made me laugh I to have been there.

But in my case I qued for a random HM and got False Emperor naturally I thought it would be quick to my dismay it was not. See our "tank" did not believe in cc's so he just aoe taunted almost all the mobs. Thank goodness our healer was over geared to keep him alive. When we got to the first boss I asked him for guard because I was the most geared DPS yet he said no apparently he can't generate enough threat with it on. Needless to say I stole threat off him multiple times and he died so I had to basically kite the boss and attack at the same time. Then after several minutes the healer picks up threat and dies and I had to pop every defensive cooldowns I had and just as I was about to die downed the boss. After this the tank yells at me for hitting too hard at the healer for not keeping him alive. So I actually blasted this guy and we kicked him after some rather nasty messages in chat. So yeah I sympathize with the OP completely.