Are jedi shadows rubbish?

direblaze

Shadows are by far one of the most flexible classes in the game.

What level are you?

What's your build?

What's your opener/rotation?

Spamming Shadow Strike, for instance, is a terrible way to play the Shadow, but most don't realize it. Your backstab does very little damage/Force comapred to Double Strike, and is only useful after you get your procs up.

Hope not because that's what I am rolling.

If Shadow feels weak then don't play a Sent or Guardian. I thought the Shadow was much more powerful than those 2. (up to early 20s anyway)

I like the limited range capability of the shadow. I will roll balance to be as close to a melee/limited range hybrid I can be.

This could all change of course since I have a few beta weekends go go off of lol.

mosty i find myself snared/kited or vegeta blasted by sith sorcs...

pvp><

i feel the Cost>damage ratio is abit off compared to other classes, what takes half my force to use deals alot less then damage then most other classes standard attacks.

most the melee attacks look the same too, so it get a little confusing(for me atleast)

i dont know, i will stick with it longer, but i feel seriously weak and kinda disconnected while playing, it feels like im floating about waving torch that is having no effect on the target.

pvp><

i feel the Cost>damage ratio is abit off compared to other classes, what takes half my force to use deals alot less then damage then most other classes standard attacks.

most the melee attacks look the same too, so it get a little confusing(for me atleast)

i dont know, i will stick with it longer, but i feel seriously weak and kinda disconnected while playing, it feels like im floating about waving torch that is having no effect on the target.

Shadow Strike is not your main skill, Double Strike is. For the most part, Double Strike deals almost the same damage for half the Force. SS is only worth it after Find Weakness goes up. Go read AstralFire's guide on Shadows, it even comes with a good rotation. You shouldn't even open with Shadow Strike, there are better openers of Infiltration Shadows.

Edited by GFreeGamer

Jedi Shadow starts to shine a bit later in levels once they obtain more talents. It's a great class and my most favourite class to play.

If you want to know more about the class, check the Jedi Shadow sub forum and see the guide there.

Jedi Shadow starts to shine a bit later in levels once they obtain more talents. It's a great class and my most favourite class to play.

If you want to know more about the class, check the Jedi Shadow sub forum and see the guide there.

Honestly I found my Shadow quite weak and underwhelming in the early levels. It was only until lvl 22 when I had enough talents in the infiltration tree to get Shadow Technique and Circling Shadows that I started to really enjoy the Shadow. I had heard it was a late bloomer so I stuck with it. I'm looking forward to lvl40 where I can finally ditch double strike and use clairvoyant strike instead (infiltration top talent) >___>

Honestly I found my Shadow quite weak and underwhelming in the early levels. It was only until lvl 22 when I had enough talents in the infiltration tree to get Shadow Technique and Circling Shadows that I started to really enjoy the Shadow. I had heard it was a late bloomer so I stuck with it. I'm looking forward to lvl40 where I can finally ditch double strike and use clairvoyant strike instead (infiltration top talent) >___>

Same thing with Balance Shadows. You're essentially still a Consular till you hit 20. Then you get Force in Balance. Then... The tables turn, and your rotation starts taking shape. Nothing beats seeing a whole group of opponents clamour around the Huttball, or capture point, and to lay down a FiB right in the middle. It only affects 3, but it's priceless watching them scramble out of position.

pvp><

At 50 you will find that synergies between different talent trees will result in you owning face mercilessly, if you play well.

Its not a herp derp class, because if you herp derp, you will run out of force and die pitifully. You need to be watching your buff bar closely for procs, and use corresponding abilities when the appropriate proc goes up.

That said, you won't ever be a melee scrapper like a marauder can be, you best stick to back lines and take out stragglers and wounded people. If you find yourself in a midst of a big battle, you will be annihilated.

PvP

Pro tip: Spam Double Strike and nothing else unless FInd Weakness procs at low lvls. Don't even open with Shadow Strike unless target is below 30% health.

At lvl 21 I really like the Balance tree, Upheaval and +50crit dmg on double strike, -2/-6 DS/Project cost, +9crit on force crit.

Lvl 21 Balance Initial Rotation:

Force Potency > Project > Discharge > Double Strike > Double Stirke > Saber Strike > Saber Strike > Project

Both Projects will likely crit, and all your abilities are +9% crit with +50% crit dmg on the DS. Upheaval should proc once. Nasty dmg output when Force Potency is up, still good without.

Tip: No reason not to front load the dmg as much as possible to take advantage of our linear regen rate.

Overall, endgame Shadow is an excellent pvp class, and can be played effectively hybrid tank or strait dps.

All melee classes take a lot of skill in PvP, and results will reflect this strikingly. On range classes you'll se much less of a difference. Melee must stay on target!

Edited by Varcan

I don't mean to compare TOR to WoW, but I'm trying to get an idea of how Shadow Infiltration plays. Several people have referred to it as "stabby-stabby" akin to WoW's Rogue. While I certainly see some parallels, how do they compare?

I never liked the Rogue despite trying so often so I'm not sure I want the same feel with the Consular...but I do dearly love the double-bladed saber. :D

The Shadow is not a WoW rogue. It has stealth and it has backstab and a vanish spell.

However, there are no openers from stealth like the WoW rogue.

There is no point in using backstab unless you get a buff that is found in the Infiltration tree.

The vanish, however, is still useful.

Also, you will be using your ranged attacks alot. As Infiltration you will definitely be using project and force breach as a part of your rotation all the time and they are both ranged (10m).

As Balance you will be using even more ranged spells... your big spell Force in Balance is even 30m :)

i dunno, im only low but i feel so much weaker then everyone else.

Haven't felt weak at all playing my Shadow and he's still relatively low level. Has felt pretty tough and effective in PvE land, and has been a total blast to play in WZ PvP. The gameplay and flow of the class has been great.

Maybe the class just isn't for you.

Edited by DarthOvertone